Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
New timing belt on the wife's Miata failed. I'm going to replace all the timing poo poo and try again. What the gently caress. It worked great for ~20 miles and then failed this evening when she went to start it up and drive it home from work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

:psyduck: What brand?

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Darchangel posted:

So, fun thing with those keyless fobs all you guys are fawning over: Thieves can use a receiver to read them from inside the house, and record and retransmit the signal to the car, open it, start it, and drive away. Just so you know. Keep your fob in a metal container/RFID envelope, or other Faraday cage when not in use.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR8RrmEizVg

I ain’t even mad.

Incidentally, anyone got any idea why my keyless entry don’t work when I lock the doors?

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Wrar posted:

New timing belt on the wife's Miata failed. I'm going to replace all the timing poo poo and try again. What the gently caress. It worked great for ~20 miles and then failed this evening when she went to start it up and drive it home from work.

I can think of some badwrong reasons like hosed cam bearings, but I’m gonna guess at tensioner fuckup first.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Krakkles posted:

I've been trying to find something like those key holders that have become ubiquitous (like this) but which will hold barrel keys and other oddly sized widgets.

I roll with an old-school motel style key tag because it means my keys are visible across the room when I sit them down somewhere and forget 'em.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Huh. Looks like GM loopholed the UAW contract and is releasing a shitload of temps?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Wrar posted:

Uh oh that sounds not good unless you didn't replace the tensioner or something.

Worst case at least swapping motors in a Miata is relatively easy.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

STR posted:

Holy fucknuggets, hell SERIOUSLY froze over!

Just went over to the dealer to pay off Brokeback Outback. They weren't there, but I called the owner's cellphone. They're at auction. Saw my old car sitting on the sale lot.

"Oh, the 2003 Subaru! We took the Saturn on trade, right? Yeah, call it even... we didn't think we'd be able to fix it, but we got a junkyard fuel line and changed the transmission fluid, and those sway bar bushings you sold us fixed the clunking up front... we have it listed for $1800, we'll still be making a small profit if we take $1200 for it. Just come by around 3-4pm and we'll sign off on the paperwork, just make sure my husband isn't here, he'll bitch about it".

An HONEST used car dealer? :wtc::hf::stonkhat:

Did you find out what the deal was with the underreported mileage?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Dealers compulsively lie, I think it's just in their DNA. I traded in my 4Runner for our Legacy a few years ago. Saw my old 4Runner in the Safeway parking lot (definitely mine) a few weeks later and made small talk with the guy - I actually had a couple things in the garage I just wanted to give him like the OEM cargo net and trailer hitch platform.

He says to me "Oh, you're the insurance adjuster" and I'm :confused:

Turns out the dealer (same salesperson) spun some totally bizarre yarn about me being an insurance adjuster and with all the hail and storms the past few years, I need to do so much highway driving now for going to go to remote locations that I wanted a vehicle with better fuel economy on the highway but yet my wife insisted on a AWD vehicle. :wtc:

I guess my totally legit story of having been issued a company truck so I no longer needed the 4Runner was just too unrealistic.

Wrar posted:

Few reasons, tensioner could definitely be on the short list but improper handling and someone kinking the belt over can snap the plies inside the belt and also cause very premature failure. Either way, sucks to have to do it so soon.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

What is the current status of the replacement Mercedes? I don't think I have seen an update since posting about winning the auction.

I haven't driven the S65 in a week as we have had crap weather but it's pretty good overall. My to-fix list is a bunch of super minor stuff (famous last words, right?)

UPS in theory was supposed to deliver me my new-to-me wheels and tires this week, but only thus far has phoned in a 75% success rate.

Once the 4th shows up on Monday (supposedly) I'm going to see if the 295/35/20s the seller sent (versus the 295/30/20 that was listed in the listing) rub on the rear or not. If they do I guess it's more tires time and I can try and sell the current rubber or something. I think the HREs are going to look good on the car, I really like the satin bronze powdercoat.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Rhyno posted:

Huh. Looks like GM loopholed the UAW contract and is releasing a shitload of temps?

Not going to pin that one on GM. UAW has generally never given a single gently caress about temps.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My son found this on youtube, really cool way to see how popular music went over the decades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3w8I8boc_I

Looks like rock officially died as popular music in 2006 with Linkin Park fading into obscurity :v:

Also didn't realize how long Eminem completely dominated, Michael Jackson was expected but drat Eminem made a shitload of money :stare:

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 7, 2019

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

My son found this on youtube, really cool way to see how popular music went over the decades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3w8I8boc_I

Looks like rock officially died as popular music in 2006 with Linkin Park fading into obscurity :v:

Also didn't realize how long Eminem completely dominated, Michael Jackson was expected but drat Eminem made a shitload of money :stare:
It's interesting as it depends on locale - Robbie Williams was in the news here as he's just matched Elvis for #1 albums in the UK chart at 13 (I think the Beatles still have a couple over that).

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Just a friendly reminder that the Sheep Game is still open and accepting entries, come play today!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

slidebite posted:

Few reasons, tensioner could definitely be on the short list but improper handling and someone kinking the belt over can snap the plies inside the belt and also cause very premature failure. Either way, sucks to have to do it so soon.

Considering a prematurely failed timing belt was the reason Wrar got that for cheap and had to do a belt on it already, there's definitely something afoot other than just someone messing with belts in back stock.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I said gently caress it and ordered a timing kit from Flyin Miata. I do not to feel like doing it again soon.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

295/35/20 sort of, kind of fits, but also doesn’t. Found an awesome independent tire shop really close that helped me test fit and didn’t even want to charge me for their time, so I went and got them beer and then did a burnout rip at their behest. I think I will like these guys

Too much sidewall but I knew this going on today, will get it figured out.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Tremek posted:

I see nothing wrong with that. Maybe a bit of disproportionate gap at the front, but livable.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

meatpimp posted:

I see nothing wrong with that. Maybe a bit of disproportionate gap at the front, but livable.

And I think some adjustment via STAR etc can address heights but the real concern is in the rear, I need to go down to 295/30/20 or I’m going to damage something, so tires getting ordered Monday.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Got my youngest son an Ender 3 Pro for Christmas and we spent last night and part of today setting it up and test printing some stuff. The little cat took six (!) hours to print but the detail on it is pretty astonishing for a home printer. The keychains are for the S2000 and the RX7, and they were much faster at about 20 minutes each.

This thing is legitimately cool.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
That's rad as hell.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

opengl128 posted:

Did you find out what the deal was with the underreported mileage?

She said their software defaults to 150k (configurable default, it's just set that way since they mostly deal in higher mileage cars). It's been updated to show the correct mileage.

It was unlocked when I went by, so I tapped the odometer button. Still showing 179k. Which makes sense, the cluster is supposed to go into gently caress-you mode if you try to swap the it (odometer just stops rolling, and you get a service vehicle soon message). The only way (supposedly) to match a new one to the car is either swap the EPROM with the mileage and VIN over, or buy a brand new cluster from GM and have it programmed via Tech2. They offer a Carfax on every vehicle, so it'd pop up anyway if someone's paying attention.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Dec 8, 2019

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Got my youngest son an Ender 3 Pro for Christmas and we spent last night and part of today setting it up and test printing some stuff.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:644933

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Tremek posted:

That's hellafunctional as it is. Purposeful. I like it a lot.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

My older son already found plans for a 1/3 scale 13B-REW that he wants us to print, including turbo...

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
https://www.japaneseclassics.com/vehicle/1994-toyota-mr2-gt-s-coupe/

:getin:

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Heck yes. I miss my 92 turbo sometimes.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

The front left shock is blown, but they gave me a deep discount on Fortune Auto coilovers, which was gonne be my second purchase anyways. Anyone know anything about springrates?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Great choice. Good price, too. Keep in mind I sold my low-mile US-spec car for $13.5k back in 2014, and a RHD GT-S is more desirable.

Waiting on burnout.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I keep putting the wipers on when I turn.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Adiabatic posted:

I keep putting the wipers on when I turn.
Even swapping between control layouts regularly, you still do it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Heh, I’ve got that one and the transmission saved for when I get a 3D printer.

Imperador do Brasil posted:

My older son already found plans for a 1/3 scale 13B-REW that he wants us to print, including turbo...

Oh, I’ll have to find that, too!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

meatpimp posted:

and a RHD GT-S is more desirable.
Why is a RHD is more desirable? Or are you thinking more the trim spec?

Also, I love :3: those Mr. 2s. I remember when they were available brand new on the lot :corsair:

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

I don't know about RHD being more desirable, but being a no t-tops model is for sure (my leaked like crazy from them). It also has the newer engine which makes a bit more power being that it's a 94.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Awesome purchase Adi. Always liked mister twos.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Watched die hard last night, the first time for the missus, and I'm pleased to say she shares my opinion that it is definitely not a christmas movie

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

fridge corn posted:

Watched die hard last night, the first time for the missus, and I'm pleased to say she shares my opinion that it is definitely not a christmas movie

Back to trolling I see?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Adiabatic posted:

Back to trolling I see?

Quit modding and do a goddamned burnout

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

slidebite posted:

Why is a RHD is more desirable? Or are you thinking more the trim spec?

Also, I love :3: those Mr. 2s. I remember when they were available brand new on the lot :corsair:

I was thinking more of spec, since only RHD is going to be GT-S, I guess I was being redundant.

I think RHD is a niche thing, it could be a plus or minus, depending on the buyer.

Rhyno posted:

Quit modding and do a goddamned burnout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Sick. I think that the English dude track day bro or something like that has one. He’s posted it loads of times in the post your ride thread. That is such a cool buy.