Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I thought she started out as just a one-off female henchman and then that all spiraled out of control for reasons.

That was a weird thing about B:TAS that you don't see as much these days, all the supervillains had like a posse conjured out of nowhere. I think the only other villain with female henchmen was Mr. Freeze for some reason.

That's not BTAS, that's the unrelated show New Adventures of Batman and Robin.

Harley was introduced specifically to give a role to her VA and to riff on the token henchbabe that every single villain had in Batman 1966. They even make a gag of it at the end of the episode where she tries to act like she's an innocent woman led astray, which is what 60s Batman always concluded about the henchbabes because the show was very sexist. Instead 90sbat says "Yeah right" and handcuffs her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

That's not BTAS, that's the unrelated show New Adventures of Batman and Robin.

Harley was introduced specifically to give a role to her VA and to riff on the token henchbabe that every single villain had in Batman 1966. They even make a gag of it at the end of the episode where she tries to act like she's an innocent woman led astray, which is what 60s Batman always concluded about the henchbabes because the show was very sexist. Instead 90sbat says "Yeah right" and handcuffs her.

New Adventures wasn't an unrelated show, it was a direct follow up with most of the same crew and I think all the same voice actors.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

New Adventures wasn't an unrelated show, it was a direct follow up with most of the same crew and I think all the same voice actors.

Any resemblance to BTAS is entirely coincidental.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nanigans posted:

Won’t all the DCU stuff be on HBO Max soon anyway?

AFAIK that's only Doom Patrol.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Calaveron posted:

Most sexually active adults do

(It’s from the show)

True. Sorry for the over-reaction.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Any resemblance to BTAS is entirely coincidental.

Let's ignore that like half of the best episodes are from that run.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
now that I finally did the inevitable and signed up for Disney+ I've been watching some of the Marvel animated stuff I missed. I never heard about this Marvel Rising thing and it's pretty cute, does it have any more than the shorts and the Secret Wars movie or was it just a one off thing?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

sexpig by night posted:

now that I finally did the inevitable and signed up for Disney+ I've been watching some of the Marvel animated stuff I missed. I never heard about this Marvel Rising thing and it's pretty cute, does it have any more than the shorts and the Secret Wars movie or was it just a one off thing?

They have a couple other specials.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Rising

Check under Animated Media, then Specials.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
There's not a whole lot, just the initial mini series and a couple of like hour long movies for riri and shuri i think. They're all on YouTube, there's an official marvel rising playlist that has everything

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Let's ignore that like half of the best episodes are from that run.

-Mad Love
-Growing Pains
-??????

And I'm being generous with Mad Love since its real origin is as a comic book for BTAS.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Joker's Millions is a fun episode.

Growing Pains was the one with the farmer right? That episode is amazing.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Over the Edge, and I remember liking You Scratch My Back when it came out.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Girls Night Out was also fun, it's Batgirl and Supergirl teaming up against Livewire, Ivy and Harley.

Actually, looking over the episode list like 2/3rds of it is pretty solid.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Lurdiak posted:

-Mad Love
-Growing Pains
-??????
The one where Clark takes over for Bats because he's missing and whomps Bane?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

The one where Clark takes over for Bats because he's missing and whomps Bane?

I think that one is counted as a Superman episode.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It was a really big rock.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Roth posted:

Growing Pains is the episode where Robin saves a girl whose deadbeat dad is Clayface. Plus the girl, Annie, is also Clayface. Yeah.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Yep.

Roth posted:

Joker's Millions is fine. It's hardly a classic, but it's good.

Skwirl posted:

Girls Night Out was also fun, it's Batgirl and Supergirl teaming up against Livewire, Ivy and Harley.

Actually, looking over the episode list like 2/3rds of it is pretty solid.

Most of the episodes are good, not great. Like I don't think it's a bad show, it only has a few outright stinkers, but it does enough things that annoy me with character designs, the relationships of the supporting cast, Bruce Wayne vs Batman, the villains' personalities etc. that I don't think it should be counted as the same show as BTAS, which had a very clear mission that New Adventures has no interest in continuing. Yeah it's more Kevin Conroy Batman and it's DCAU continuity, but it's not the same thing.

Open Marriage Night posted:

Over the Edge, and I remember liking You Scratch My Back when it came out.

You Scratch My Back is more or less a character assassination for DCAU Catwoman. A perfect example of what I don't like about the show.

quote:

Lolling at the idea of someone counting that in their top episodes.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 8, 2019

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Skwirl posted:

Nope it was on my BTAS boxset from like a decade ago

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Lurdiak posted:

It's very good bad.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
New Batman Adventures is a retool, not a separate series. Think season 1 of Parks and Rec vs. the rest, but with the opposite quality swing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

New Batman Adventures is a retool, not a separate series. Think season 1 of Parks and Rec vs. the rest, but with the opposite quality swing.

Except Batman the Animated series ended, and then New Batman Adventures came on the air 2 years later. It's not the same show.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Episode 1 of Harley Quinn is on Youtube if you want to check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap1vdCpxukU

Three episodes, I'd recommend Harley Quinn. Humor lands pretty well overall, though personally I thought the first episode was the least funny of the three (Bane in episode 2 was just too drat funny).

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

Lurdiak posted:

The best part about the farmer episode is that they did an audio commentary for it on the DVD talking about how everyone hated it, and then they come around and go "You know what? Screw everyone, this episode is awesome!"

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Hypocrisy posted:

Episode 1 of Harley Quinn is on Youtube if you want to check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap1vdCpxukU

Three episodes, I'd recommend Harley Quinn. Humor lands pretty well overall, though personally I thought the first episode was the least funny of the three (Bane in episode 2 was just too drat funny).

That show is actually quite good. Never been a fan of Harley, or DC in general, but it strikes a fun tone. I like it so far. But episode 1 was a bit to chaotic in trying to set up stuff.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Episode 1 was eh but 2 and 3 were a lot of fun. Bane and Clayface are amazing

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

RevolverDivider posted:

Episode 1 was eh but 2 and 3 were a lot of fun. Bane and Clayface are amazing

Agreed, I'm glad it has gotten so much better. I really hated the first episode.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Yeah the last three episodes have been really fun. Then again I'm extremely pro-dunking on Damien

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Everybodh seems to be sleeping on it, bit DC Super Hero Girls is a nicr and comfy watch

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Roth posted:

Everybodh seems to be sleeping on it, bit DC Super Hero Girls is a nicr and comfy watch

What's it on?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Toshimo posted:

What's it on?

Caftoon Network, but Netflix has episodes on it.

Just watched an episode where people think Supergirl died and Clark sends her a text that just says "U ded?"

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
The recent Dex-Starr episode is a standout too. The show is so good at adapting DC characters into its world, as mentioned by Roth with Clark, and the show is consistently funny.

The Zatara family episode was sweet, and of course the show empathises with everyone, including the villains.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It would be nice if DC could actually get all of their own content on their own platform.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Toshimo posted:

What's it on?

Nice av.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I really enjoy the portrayal of Kara as, in essence, a good-natured thug.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I like the few episodes of Super Hero Girls I've seen but it really bugs me that Bumblebee is closer to the comic version of Jessica Cruz. I mean, I get it, having the shy one be represented by a literal shrinking character is fitting but still...

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

That reminds me that while Justice League vs. The Fatal Five is still kind of a weird idea I thought they did a really good job with Jessica, and Diane Guerrero did great voicing her. (Although it's kind of in her wheelhouse now.)

Mumbly
Apr 12, 2007
Now, I'm about 60% certain that Harley and Ivy will hook up in a later season, and Ivy showing interest in someone else does help make her supporting Harley seem more selfless. That said, the Ivy/Kite Man subplot has overtones of both "man hating woman finds the Right Man" and "exceptional woman falls for mediocre man", so hopefully the writers are careful about that. The show's good and all, but if it has a flaw, it's that the writers don't realize some of the implications of their jokes. See also the recent accusations of antisemitism even though the showrunners are apparently Jewish.

I'd have posted this in TV IV but it'd probably start poo poo since they really seem to like Kite Man.

Mumbly fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 11, 2020

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Mumbly posted:

Now, I'm about 60% certain that Harley and Ivy will hook up in a later season, and Ivy showing interest in someone else does help make her supporting Harley seem more selfless. That said, the Ivy/Kite Man subplot has overtones of both "man hating woman finds the Right Man" and "exceptional woman falls for mediocre man", so hopefully the writers are careful about that. The show's good and all, but if it has a flaw, it's that the writers don't realize some of the implications of their jokes. See also the recent accusations of antisemitism even though the showrunners are apparently Jewish.

I'd have posted this in TV IV but it'd probably start poo poo since they really seem to like Kite Man.

Time to stop watching. I continue to enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Halloween Jack posted:

It would be nice if DC could actually get all of their own content on their own platform.

It'd be nice if they'd get their poo poo together and release a drat PS4 app. :argh: