Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I now use the same driver who I trust so I just call/text him when I have cars at port or I am sending something in the areas he gets to. Otherwise I used to and still do use a broker who can quote me and get vehicles picked up. Other goons have used her many times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

sea of losers posted:

hello, i posted about this in the dumb questions thread but it was suggested i ask here:
do any of you have experience with vehicle shipping companies shipping within the continental US? im trying to get info about shipping a vehicle from colorado to virginia and i was looking for suggestions on what companies to use or avoid for this purpose, as im aware it can be quite pernicious. from my few hours of research ive found that "ship a car direct," "amerifreight," and "sherpa auto transport" are some of the more consistently higher-rated options for this, but i would appreciate further input on this if you guys can provide it.
thank you

Unrelated to imported Japanese cars, I used Sherpa a few months ago to bring a car from New York to Wisconsin.

Worked fine. Just that you need to be on your toes a bit to ensure that you're available within a specific multi-day window to take receivership of the vehicle. And whomever is selling you the vehicle needs to be able to also be on point to be there when they come to get it.

Using them for port pickups...I dunno.

I think I used them mainly because they called me immediately after I put a quote request in, and were pretty quick to answer questions, etc. Being in the dark on this sort of thing stinks.

I think the main takeaway is that they all use contracted drivers and you have no idea who is actually picking your vehicle up.

That's why if you do it a lot, as others suggested, you want to wind up with a specific driver that you develop a relation with.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

When shipping my M3 I purchased private party from Northern California to Salt Lake I used a company called Direct Express Auto Transport. They are a brokerage like anyone else. It worked great though. I paid for a covered transport and did the ‘middle’ grade one. It was the only company I found online where I could get a quote without giving my information like phone number and email etc.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Make sure you get pictures of the car's condition before going on the trailer, especially if it's a hot-shot with an open trailer. They should be doing that anyway, for their own sake. Our newest work van's rear bumper was slightly damaged in transit and they paid out next day, but ymmv.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

wolrah posted:

When'd Silverados grow blue ovals? :P

Ford and GM have merged to become the US equivalent of British Leyland :v:

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

You Am I posted:

Ford and GM have merged to become the US equivalent of British Leyland :v:

Fiat-Chrysler UK: you thought we were bad the first time around!

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Based on everyone's experience, how feasible is it to buy a plane ticket a month or two in advance but timed within a day or so of the arrival of my camper? Can I really pinpoint it or are there just too many variables such as US customs, how fast the ship travels, etc?

I could buy a ticket like a week from its arrival but then that's much more $$$.

I feel like it's not practical to consider...

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Dec 9, 2019

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
My van that came in october took a few days from the ship's arrival to actually hit customs and then another day or two to actually be cleared from customs and ready to pick up.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Not advisable, my acty was flagged by usda and had a hold placed on it and fire truck since they were together to check for “soil”, and then even after they cleared it Hoegh had not released another hold bc of the usda flag. I would wait at least 5-7 days after boat supposed to arrive to get to port. I have a boat with 3 vehicles arrived Friday and I haven’t got email From port Monday saying they are there.

everdave fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Dec 9, 2019

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

What's a typical cost per day to have a vehicle held at port after it's released for pick up?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
At least at my port you have 20 free days then it’s something crazy like $75 a day, in Japan after the 60-70 free days its only about $50/week

EDIT: you need to call the port, have the #s in your phone and ask them all this and know who to call YOURSELF in case stuff goes wrong. I am happy to answer questions but you need to do that ASAP.

everdave fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 9, 2019

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Okay...I'll call the port.

I need to figure out what port specifically. There are a few in Baltimore...

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan
not a fantastic spec (plus chicken tax) but look at that milage :captainpop:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Get a twin cab and there’s no chicken tax cos it’s a passenger vehicle.

I’ve got a 1992 AU delivered twin cab LN106 with 510,000km on the clock and a 3.0TD 1KZ from a surf jammed under the bonnet. It’s a hoot to drive!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

sea of losers posted:

hello, i posted about this in the dumb questions thread but it was suggested i ask here:
do any of you have experience with vehicle shipping companies shipping within the continental US? im trying to get info about shipping a vehicle from colorado to virginia and i was looking for suggestions on what companies to use or avoid for this purpose, as im aware it can be quite pernicious. from my few hours of research ive found that "ship a car direct," "amerifreight," and "sherpa auto transport" are some of the more consistently higher-rated options for this, but i would appreciate further input on this if you guys can provide it.
thank you

Kastivich posted:

I'd also like to hear about experiences with this. The whole market seems so shady.

I personally do not have any experience with shipping across the continental USA. My experience is limited to Port -> Home, which isn't the same thing as shipping a vehicle from state to state. Like everdave, I have the same driver I use to get my cars from port, but when it comes to shipping vehicles people buy from us I leave that with them since it is their vehicle. Some people come and pickup the vehicle and drive it back (this weekend someone came from San Antonio Texas and picked up our Aero Tune, drove it back without issue) and others will send someone to pick it up. Some do covered, others do not. Cost-wise it's more expensive to ship a vehicle over land than it is on a boat.
The actual people I've dealt with have seemed fine, though one of the AZ-1s I sold, the guy sent two dudes in a Uhaul-like box truck and they just drove it up in the back. That was super sketchy but :confused: I took pictures and video before they touched it to make sure I was protected.

French Canadian posted:

Based on everyone's experience, how feasible is it to buy a plane ticket a month or two in advance but timed within a day or so of the arrival of my camper? Can I really pinpoint it or are there just too many variables such as US customs, how fast the ship travels, etc?

I could buy a ticket like a week from its arrival but then that's much more $$$.

I feel like it's not practical to consider...

To echo the others, there is no guarantee when a vehicle is released from customs. Sometimes its released two days after it arrives, other times it takes a week. A lot of the time the ETA ends up being wrong as the ship shows up a day or two early, or a day or two late. If you need to fly to the port then I'd either give yourself a wide time slot to deal with this uncertainty, or just have it shipped to you.

Looks rad, no AC but spec-wise I'd say vinyl seats are pretty desirable, especially with that mileage. Single cab is alright even if you will be hit with 25% rather than 2.5%, but where are you going to get another not-even-broken-in diesel, manual, Toyota Hilux pickup?

Ferremit posted:

Get a twin cab and there’s no chicken tax cos it’s a passenger vehicle.

I’ve got a 1992 AU delivered twin cab LN106 with 510,000km on the clock and a 3.0TD 1KZ from a surf jammed under the bonnet. It’s a hoot to drive!

The KZ is so good omg

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
First check this amazing MR2 (it has t top roof tho) https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-5FNA9ambmOA39c.htm

I shipped prado from TN to CA it got there fast but driver tried to demand more money from buyer. My shipping broker got involved and handled it.

I’ve got some bids in tonight...

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
What's blue and weird and looks bigger than it actually is? This goofy-rear end Nissan Rasheen!

Plus it has bonus 4 wheel disc brakes and a timing chain :toot:

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 11, 2019

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

KakerMix posted:

What's blue and weird and looks bigger than it actually is? This goofy-rear end Nissan Rasheed!

Plus it has bonus 4 wheel disc brakes and a timing chain :toot:

This thing is amazing. Looks like the bastard child of a late 90s Forester and a Ford Flex. I love it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

LeeMajors posted:

This thing is amazing. Looks like the bastard child of a late 90s Forester and a Ford Flex. I love it.

It’s a little smaller than a first generation Forester. Think late 90s Sentra.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Excellent score on the Rasheen def jealous of that win

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

That's a pretty blue

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I saw a beige Rasheen on the road on my way to work this morning

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Won a couple of turbo charged 4-wheel-driven keis tonight

Auction Sheet posted:

5mt, ac, timing belt sticker from 84,473km, warranty booklet, owner's manual, interior scratches, steering wheel worn, undercarriage corrosion, small chips in windshield, other dents scratches paint peeling, corroison holes in rear gate area

Inspection Report posted:

engine starts idles and revs fine, no smoke or vibrations, timing belt stiker at 84,473km, no sludge, coolant ok, no oil leaks, tires at 50% ok, spare ok, no leaks mold or rust in trunk, undercarriage surface rust over large areas but no corrosion or flaking, boots ok, body as is in diagram, windshield chips small, rear gate lower area both sides "thumb sized" corrosion holes, seats ok, dashboard ok, ceiling liner ok, door inside panels scratched, ac ok, clutch ok, gears ok, check lamps ok, 4wd ok, lights ok, power windows ok, power steering ok, wipers ok

1995 Mitsubishi Pajero Mini VR-2, kei-sized coil-sprung 64 hp turbo 4x4. Cute and 90s as heck, clean, with the exception of a couple of small corrosion holes in the lower section of the rear door. I assume something hosed up with the drainage, but otherwise pretty pumped. It's like a Jimny, but (probably) more comfortable and certainly more powerful, hitting the limit of how powerful a kei car can be at 64 horsies.

Auction Sheet posted:

5MT, ac, small chips in windshield, interior scratches worn dirty burn holes, end panel/rear floor/core support/right front inside panel slightly bent, ac not cold, aftermarket shift knob/steering wheel/muffler/suspension/s-atc/blow off valve, other dents scratches paint waves, tail lens cracked

Inspection Report posted:

engine starts ok, idle slightly unstable when cold, revs fine, no smoke or vibrations, slight sludge in oil, coolant ok, oil pan area slightly oily but not dripping, some aluminum whitening, tires worn, spare ok, no leaks mold or rust in trunk, front and rear end minor fender bender, rear bumper spray can paint, undercarriage light surface rust only, boots ok, u1 sized dent on drivers door upper frame area, drivers seat door side to tears x 1cm, passenger seat worn, rear seats ok, dashboard faded, ceiling liner worn, 2x burn holes in parking brake area, ac compressor seems ok, clutch ok, gears ok, check lamps ok, lights ok, windows ok, wipers slow

1995 Suzuki Alto Works RS/Z, turbo charged, AWD, manual transmission'd hot hatch. It's been ~tuned~ a little bit, what with the aftermarket double spoiler action (they could come from the factory with the double spoilers, but they don't look like these) and removed rear wiper. Aftermarket front chin as well, and aftermarket wheels. A ratty MOMO steering wheel and aftermarket shiftknob are inside. Might need a tune-up and an AC refrigerant charge but otherwise also pretty stoked about this one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That Alto is the stuff that dreams are made of.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I love how many vehicles come in 4WD and AWD in Japan. When we lived there we had a 2000(I think) Toyota Corolla with AWD. I have never seen an AWD Corolla in the US.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
god i wish we had more 4w/awd in USA. hell even more fwd. rwd makes it too easy to spin out

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

therobit posted:

I love how many vehicles come in 4WD and AWD in Japan. When we lived there we had a 2000(I think) Toyota Corolla with AWD. I have never seen an AWD Corolla in the US.

Someone in my town has been trying to sell a 92 Camry that's AWD for North America for like 1,500 and while it looks clean, the fact that people keep passing on it discouraged me. That, and I'm poor.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Oh my god that Pajero Mini. I need it. :stare:

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Blindeye posted:

Someone in my town has been trying to sell a 92 Camry that's AWD for North America for like 1,500 and while it looks clean, the fact that people keep passing on it discouraged me. That, and I'm poor.

There was a maroon 5 speed 91 awd camry that was making the rounds for years in Minneapolis. Every few months it would be back on CL with a new seller, ha!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Atlas camper with 9300 miles made it to port, surprise it has the sky roof that opens and top rack...

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
That thing is amazing. Holy poo poo, the graphics, the interior... All of it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

That thing is wild as hell!

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

That van is loving incredible. The outside of it really is something I think I'd see on the side of a Dixie cup

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I saw a JDM AWD version of the 3rd gen Camry around here. If Google Photos or Microsoft Photos would let me narrow down by neighborhood (they only do city) I'd be able to share it with you. It's hard to find amongst the 10,000 dog and cat photos I otherwise have.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Dave, that thing is amazing. I am loving it all, but I think my favorite part is the circus tent with legs.

Also, it definitely say... Pika pika?!

You need to start a miniature circus now I think.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

I'm jelly as gently caress...

Lemme see dat bathroom...

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

French Canadian posted:

I'm jelly as gently caress...

Lemme see dat bathroom...

Obviously bathroom needs a good cleaning, real flushing toilet with black tank. Shower.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

That's interesting. The shower basin has a step up like mine, so this sort of tells me that a toilet may have been optional there before.

I've been looking for some toilets to retrofit into mine. Can't decide on a black tank or semi-permanent cartridge style though. There's also some nicer composting toilets these days.

Yours kind of looks like it might have a black tank underneath, no? I don't see any hatches on the outside of the vehicle where there'd be a typical removable dump tank like on those fancier Thetford cartridge toilets, like so:

Also don't throw your toilet away...I might want it :doit:

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 12, 2019

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Let's Import Vehicles From Japan For Fun And Profit: Don't throw your toilet away, I might want it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D__6hwqjZAs

I stole this from iowncalculus in the slack chat and I don't care who knows it