Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
so are we taking bets on kylo's 'i'll finish what you started' is going to mean, like, he always knew palpatine was alive and so he was going to finish what vader started by killing him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

weekly font posted:

It'd be like blaming Angry Video Game Nerd for Gamergate.

Ah, the Faraci Maneuver

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Horizon Burning posted:

so are we taking bets on kylo's 'i'll finish what you started' is going to mean, like, he always knew palpatine was alive and so he was going to finish what vader started by killing him?

It will mean literally nothing and have no follow up.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Unlike the ST, which will of course be merchandised and sequelised to hell and back

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Pollyanna posted:

:hmmyes:

There is no other answer.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Pollyanna posted:

Of course it will have a meaning and follow up. Just read issue 7 of the comic miniseries The Kylo Ren Adventures, read the ebook Kylo Rens Bodacious Weekend, and play the video game Kylo Ren and the Peril of the Pterosaur to find out!

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Either way I'm not looking forward to the 40 hour Mauler podcast about it.

Death Ray
Jan 20, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Horizon Burning posted:

That would imply a plan on the part of the storytellers.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

They could just retcon meaning into past words and actions.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Combat Pretzel posted:

I can't stop watching those Youtube nerds freaking out over all of this.

Doesn’t help that my feed is bombarded by “10 reasons TROS will suck” and “Why Mandalorian ep.X pisses of Woke Folk”

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

This is hilarious because now I'm just picturing Palps misspeaking and saying "Execute order 65..wait, oh poo poo, 66 66!" while he gets gunned down immediately.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Horizon Burning posted:

Buddy, 15 years later and I'm still dying to know what the Cylon's plan was.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

TerminalRaptor posted:

They got you covered: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1286130/

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksYlCNsBSlg

TerminalRaptor posted:

Ronald D Moore posted:

There was no plan. It all came about when we were doing the main titles and we had to have what's called a 'precap' as opposed to a recap. So we had a precap before the main title. And David [Eick, executive producer] said we should have a punchy line there at the end...'and they have a plan.' And I was like 'What does that mean?' He said 'It doesn't matter, doesn't matter. It'll be great. The audience will love it.' I said 'But they don't have a plan, David.' He said 'Trust me, this is marketing. We'll figure it out later.' So for the next fourteen years of my life people have asked me 'So what was the plan?' There's no f*ing plan!

Captain Splendid fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 8, 2019

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Perfect

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
In all honesty this movie sounds like it's going to be fun as hell and I honestly think initial response will be on the positive side. Abrams has a way of just blasting through the stupid nonsensical story stuff and piling on all the crowd-pleasing moments to make sure everybody's walking out of the theater with smiles on their faces despite themselves. Later on everybody will be like, "That was really stupid when you think about it" a la Star Trek Into Darkness but I don't think this will be some disaster the way people here are anticipating.

Rey being Palpatine's granddaughter is such a "pull out of their rear end" move, but if the movie is able to sell and milk the theme of "gently caress what they say; you CAN choose your family" with the supposed final line I think it'll go down like gangbusters with the audience.

Along the same lines, if it's true all the other characters perish in the final battle, if they're able to really sell the idea that yes, this is IT, this is the big ultimate last stand, and have everybody give each other Meaningful Looks going in like "we're probably not coming out of this" I think audiences will go along with it. I don't think it's just going to be a totally random shot out of nowhere of Lando yelling "I'M HIIIIT" and the Falcon blowing up during a "fun" space battle as if the crew were just random fat X-wing people (famous last words).

That all said, I'm basically assuming that whatever leak that had "Execute Order 67" is fake (especially since from what I hear the reveal of the zombie Star Destroyer fleet happens near the beginning, not the end)--I think somebody's having fun by taking all the plausible-sounding leaks together and sprinkling in super-ridiculous stuff like that to freak everyone out. Like, there is just no saving "Execute Order 67".

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I thought the only characters that died according to the leaks were Hux, Leia, Palpatine (obviously), and Kylo?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Took me way too much effort to figure out what the meme was. And at the end of it, I'm left even more confused.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Is the acting that bad in the actual episode?

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

FlamingLiberal posted:

I thought the only characters that died according to the leaks were Hux, Leia, Palpatine (obviously), and Kylo?

There was one leak (and I think it was the same leak that gave us "Execute Order 67") that said pretty much everyone dies at the end, and specifically mentions the Falcon blows up with Lando, Chewie and C3PO inside. I don't think this one is super-likely but I decided to come at it from a worst-case-scenario angle.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

In all honesty this movie sounds like it's going to be fun as hell and I honestly think initial response will be on the positive side. Abrams has a way of just blasting through the stupid nonsensical story stuff and piling on all the crowd-pleasing moments to make sure everybody's walking out of the theater with smiles on their faces despite themselves. Later on everybody will be like, "That was really stupid when you think about it" a la Star Trek Into Darkness but I don't think this will be some disaster the way people here are anticipating.
It's a bit annoying, because you can do Abrams-style spectacle while maintaining a decent story. Instead it's just spectacle. I mean, it's a sci-fantasy story, so there's only so much to expect, but still.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

There was one leak (and I think it was the same leak that gave us "Execute Order 67") that said pretty much everyone dies at the end, and specifically mentions the Falcon blows up with Lando, Chewie and C3PO inside. I don't think this one is super-likely but I decided to come at it from a worst-case-scenario angle.

That was a 4chan post so it was 100% fake.

Rey being Palpatine's granddaughter is such a "pull out of their rear end" move, but if the movie is able to sell and milk the theme of "gently caress what they say; you CAN choose your family" with the supposed final line I think it'll go down like gangbusters with the audience.

Along the same lines, if it's true all the other characters perish in the final battle, if they're able to really sell the idea that yes, this is IT, this is the big ultimate last stand, and have everybody give each other Meaningful Looks going in like "we're probably not coming out of this" I think audiences will go along with it. I don't think it's just going to be a totally random shot out of nowhere of Lando yelling "I'M HIIIIT" and the Falcon blowing up during a "fun" space battle as if the crew were just random fat X-wing people (famous last words).

That all said, I'm basically assuming that whatever leak that had "Execute Order 67" is fake (especially since from what I hear the reveal of the zombie Star Destroyer fleet happens near the beginning, not the end)--I think somebody's having fun by taking all the plausible-sounding leaks together and sprinkling in super-ridiculous stuff like that to freak everyone out. Like, there is just no saving "Execute Order 67".

I don't doubt that it will be fun in a way, and honestly that's what we should be doing when we watch Star Wars (it seriously cannot handle anything smart), it's just gonna be real loving dumb plot-wise and a lot of people who take it too seriously will get real mad.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I've read some (probably fake) rumor the stranger Rey talks to at the very end is actually Kylo himself inexplicably back from the dead, that could be a fun way to pour some more fuel on the fire.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

YaketySass posted:

I've read some (probably fake) rumor the stranger Rey talks to at the very end is actually Kylo himself inexplicably back from the dead, that could be a fun way to pour some more fuel on the fire.

I mean, that's dumb but killing your big bad in the exact way the series' final boss survives is some galaxy brained poo poo unless you're overtly saying "oh yeah he's definitely dead wink wink."

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Is the acting that bad in the actual episode?

Yea the dialogue is v bad but it’s fun enough. GoT this ain’t

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

YaketySass posted:

I fully expect this to be the case. Rey is the official "Skywalker" while Ben Solo wanders the desert, smash cut to the credits. Then we get a bunch of spinoffs/tie-ins about his redemption arc, "Reylo", and the continued adventures of the ST characters, plus maybe a spin-off movie in a decade if Adam Driver's career needs a shot in the arm.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Kylo doesn't die, he just falls down a bottomless pit

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I wonder how long they'll wait before starting the next trilogy. Seems like they're leaning more into TV at the moment, letting films rest a bit, but I bet they won't be able to resist for more than a few years.

Papercut posted:

Which if palp is back is the SW equivalent of a stubbed toe.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Papercut posted:

Surely he'd die of starvation, eventually.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

just another posted:

Nah, man.

He’s got Sour Patch Kids and vodka.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

just another posted:

He's sustaining himself on Maul's legs.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/trilllizard666/status/1203602236439293952

good

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

it's weird that that guy is framing it as the actors choosing not to return and not disney deciding not to continue using the characters, as if disney couldn't generate however big a sack of money that they'd need to get a 'yes'

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

lofi posted:

I wonder how long they'll wait before starting the next trilogy. Seems like they're leaning more into TV at the moment, letting films rest a bit, but I bet they won't be able to resist for more than a few years.
Last I heard there is a slot on Disney's schedule for an untitled SW film in 2022 but until then, nothing. That was supposed to be the trilogy the GoT writers were going to make, but now that's not happening, so who knows at this point. It sounds like the next live-action Star Wars thing after The Mandalorian is that Obi-Wan series which was originally planned as a movie and will bring back Ewan McGregor. Then there's that Rian Johnson trilogy which has a completely unknown status. I do wonder if he will quietly drop out since he is busy making other stuff like the recently released Knives Out which was well-received.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

It's a weird thing, until recently "directing the new star wars" must have been a dream job, now it sounds toxic af. With the reputation for hard studio interference and fast firing it's not looking like such a good deal.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
jj abrams sucks rear end. He has literally never made a movie that’s actually good

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

lofi posted:

It's a weird thing, until recently "directing the new star wars" must have been a dream job, now it sounds toxic af. With the reputation for hard studio interference and fast firing it's not looking like such a good deal.

You'd think so, but Lucas has been trying and failing to get other directors to work Star Wars since RotJ.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Brother Entropy posted:

it's weird that that guy is framing it as the actors choosing not to return and not disney deciding not to continue using the characters, as if disney couldn't generate however big a sack of money that they'd need to get a 'yes'

I've read a couple of interviews with Daisy Ridley over the past few years and in spite of the fact they're supposed to be these fluff promotional pieces they still give off the impression Star Wars has made her life a complete mess.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

One thing I'm still curious about is that the leaks I've read haven't been too specific about Palpatine's appearance in this. Apparently near the end he becomes "rejuvenated" and returns to his "Episode III" self. So does that mean he's back to more-or-less how he looked when he was Chancellor, or does this mean that he was even more decrepit in the previous runtime and he returns to how he appeared when he was Emperor? (Legit LOL at this being his "youthful" self).

I also took a gander at TheForce.net message board to see some chatter by the uber nerds and I'm seeing lots of "I'm sure Abrams will give us an explanation" and "b-b-b-but what about the Chosen One prophecy?" and I just can't wait until they see the movie and realize:

"Oh, I'm afraid no one gives a poo poo about the Chosen One prophecy, hahahaha"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
Palpatine's appearance has been completely under wraps to the extent they used an action figure for that one poster. Rumor is he looks really decrepit and corpse-like when Ren encounters him and before he rejuvenates himself.