Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Tree Bucket posted:

Why? I'm trying to puzzle my way through this, and not coming up with anything.

Apparently donkeys will refuse to wade through water no matter how shallow it really is, so you have to build a bridge to get them across. So a "donkey bridge" is an extra effort/a longer route you have to take which is yet necessary to reach the goal at all, ie the extra effort of memorising both the mnemonic and what you're actually supposed to learn, but without the mnemonic you would be poo poo out of luck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Confirmed:
Donkeys are vampires

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

BrigadierSensible posted:

In Korean, it's "hand-phone". So similar to Handy, but without the language purity wank

I find it amusing that Schlock Mercenary, a sci-fi webcomic, uses "handbrain" for its portable computers. I guess at some point they stop pretending that being a phone is the primary purpose of the device.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
“Personal computer” out of context sounds like a better name for a smart phone than it does for a desktop machine

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

“Personal computer” out of context sounds like a better name for a smart phone than it does for a desktop machine

They're both personal computers since they are single-user devices vis-à-vis computing. That single user being MARK ZUCKERBERG!!!!!!!!!!???!!!!1112222elvatolva

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Milo and POTUS posted:

On the other hand their soap was delicious

Well, Soap used to be one of the most popular kinds of Czech candy...

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

System Metternich posted:

Apparently donkeys will refuse to wade through water no matter how shallow it really is, so you have to build a bridge to get them across.

It cracks me up how people come up with this stuff. Donkeys an animal bred for the Express purpose of moving supplies in harsh terrain wont walk across a stream.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Maybe it has to do with horses being able to stand rain because of their coats, while donkeys absolutely hate getting wet in the rain.

https://www.thedonkeysanctuary.org.uk/news/new-research-proves-donkeys-disdain-for-rainy-days

Molentik has a new favorite as of 22:44 on Dec 8, 2019

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Apparently donkeys will refuse to wade through water no matter how shallow it really is, so you have to build a bridge to get them across. So a "donkey bridge" is an extra effort/a longer route you have to take which is yet necessary to reach the goal at all, ie the extra effort of memorising both the mnemonic and what you're actually supposed to learn, but without the mnemonic you would be poo poo out of luck

Welp, that one's going in the Vault of Trivia!
Donkey Bridge needs to catch on in English too. Way easier to pronounce than mnmnnemmnonic, and as a bonus, donkeys are beautiful creatures.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Donkeys will go through water. They aren't as susceptible as horses to being influenced by pain and tugging to walk through poo poo they don't want to walk through, especially with a lazy ape or a bunch of its bags on their back. But if convinced they are way better at making their way cleanly and carefully through a ford or any other difficult terrain than a big dumb horse.

e: just in general donkeys are the smarter and superior animal to horses in my experience. That's why breeding donkey + even the dumbest horse gives us a smart, cool animal still useful today, that is big enough to carry us and our poo poo around on its back in harsh conditions, while horse + better horse gives us violent shitlords that will run headlong into gunfire and cannot survive if they ever trip.

The donkey fights for its rights and knows its limits. The horse is a trash animal fully dedicated to slavery.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 02:19 on Dec 9, 2019

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Donkeys will go through water. They aren't as susceptible as horses to being influenced by pain and tugging to walk through poo poo they don't want to walk through, especially with a lazy ape or a bunch of its bags on their back. But if convinced they are way better at making their way cleanly and carefully through a ford or any other difficult terrain than a big dumb horse.

e: just in general donkeys are the smarter and superior animal to horses in my experience. That's why breeding donkey + even the dumbest horse gives us a smart, cool animal still useful today, that is big enough to carry us and our poo poo around on its back in harsh conditions, while horse + better horse gives us violent shitlords that will run headlong into gunfire and cannot survive if they ever trip.

The donkey fights for its rights and knows its limits. The horse is a trash animal fully dedicated to slavery.

Or to put it another way, a Donkey won't think of ants and die

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

A fun language thing is "phono-semantic matching" which is what happens when a new word is introduced to a language from elsewhere and the speakers go "wait this makes no sense, I must’ve misheard" and create a new word following phonetic and/or semantic rules of their language to mask the foreign etymology. A nice example of this is German Hängematte (=hammock) which like its English counterpart comes from the Taíno hamáka. But where the English simply adopted the word into their lexicon with comparatively little change 16th century Germany instead came up with a "hanging mat" as their word :v:

A fun thing is Ojibwe. Ho-wah! Shaa... Sheee... Ho!

They all have different meanings but I cannot, for the life of me, translate them into English. My high school was about 60% Ojibwe so we all used those sounds

"Shee" means "Jesus Christ" "Shaa" means something like a good "burn" or someone getting the joke or maybe not. "Ho-wah!" just means what it sounds like. Kind of like excitement but it depends. "Ho!" just is a generic exclamation.

None of those descriptions are quite right, but they're in the neighborhood.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That’s no exclamation of excitement—that’s my wife!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

mostlygray posted:

None of those descriptions are quite right, but they're in the neighborhood.

Congatulations! You have discovered "translating literally any language to another language".

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Just imagine trying to translate English exclamations to someone with no concept of what they mean.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Just imagine trying to translate English exclamations to someone with no concept of what they mean.

Yeah "gently caress!" is the prime example, along with variations like "gently caress me!", "gently caress off!", "gently caress my rear end and call me Ted Cruz!" etc.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

That's a great mnemonic, thanks! Have a fun fact in exchange: In German, mnemonics are called Eselsbrücken or literally "donkey bridges" :v:

For some reason the Finnish word "aasinsilta" meaning segue literally translates to "donkey bridge". :shrug:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Crisse de tabarnak yes as a native speaker of English and one other language I can confirm that only English has the nonsense swears. Tabarnak d’ostie ma viarge de calice it’s hard enough to deal with gently caress j’m’en calisse de gently caress I have no idea what any of this means can someone ask Québec to cut that poo poo out

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 11:56 on Dec 9, 2019

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gargamel Gibson posted:

For some reason the Finnish word "aasinsilta" meaning segue literally translates to "donkeyrear end bridge". :shrug:

They all come from the same Latin root. Why they mean different things in different cultures is the part no-one really knows.

e: The current Finnish meaning is easy to explain: it's a bridge an rear end takes to get from one subject to another.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Crisse de tabarnak yes as a native speaker of English and one other language I can confirm that only English has the nonsense swears. Tabarnak d’ostie ma viarge de calice it’s hard enough to deal with gently caress j’m’en calisse de gently caress I have no idea what any of this means can someone ask Québec to cut that poo poo out

I mean, none of those are swears on the level of gently caress perse.

They are blasphemes. All of them based on various catholic rituals or objects

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tashilicious posted:

I mean, none of those are swears on the level of gently caress perse.

They are blasphemes. All of them based on various catholic rituals or objects

What exactly do you think swear means?

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jerry Cotton posted:

What exactly do you think swear means?

Blasphemes are specifically religious. Swears can be sexual scatological racial etc

Blasphemes are a subset of swear words

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tashilicious posted:

Blasphemes are specifically religious. Swears can be sexual scatological racial etc

Blasphemes are a subset of swear words

Actually, they're synonyms, HTH, OP :smugmrgw:

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Va donc chier crisse de sale tbnk

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
I just want to move to Finland so I can live my dream of being a lentokonesuihkuturbiinimoottoriapumekaanikkoaliupseerioppilas :smith:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Cage Kicker posted:

I just want to move to Finland so I can live my dream of being a lentokonesuihkuturbiinimoottoriapumekaanikkoaliupseerioppilas :smith:

Same, but Donaudampfschifffahrtsgesellschaftskapitänsuniformherstellerfirmenvorsitzendenleibwächterbrillenherstellergspusi in Austria

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

stab posted:

Va donc chier crisse de sale tbnk

jte comprends pas :france:

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Same, but Donaudampfschifffahrtsgesellschaftskapitänsuniformherstellerfirmenvorsitzendenleibwächterbrillenherstellergspusi in Austria

Gesundheit. I'd make a Schönbrunner Deutsch joke here, but I can't understand but every other word.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Cage Kicker posted:

Maybe you could use a minoritetsladningsbærerdiffusjonskoeffisientmålingsapparatur.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Alhazred posted:

Maybe you could use a minoritetsladningsbærerdiffusjonskoeffisientmålingsapparatur.

kamelåså ?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Fun fact about the norwegian language: As long as it makes meaning there's no limit to how many words you can put together.

Also, kamelåså is danish.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Alhazred posted:

Fun fact about the norwegian language: As long as it makes meaning there's no limit to how many words you can put together.

Also, kamelåså is danish.

Same with german numbers, if I'm not mistaken

In polish nouns for numbers are written separate - 999 = dziewięćset dziewięćdziesiąt dziewięć, although adjectives will be written together - dziewięćsetdziewięćdziesiętnodziewiąty. As such there's no limit to word length

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
So is there a number that's dumber than four-twenties-ten-nine, a.k.a. French for 99? (Quatre-vingt dix-neuf).

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

So is there a number that's dumber than four-twenties-ten-nine, a.k.a. French for 99? (Quatre-vingt dix-neuf).

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yes.

Danish has numbers such as enoghalvfjerds

Literally: One-and-half-fourth.

It's 71.

It should be read as 1 and halfway-to-the-fourth-20.

The tens system in Danish is basically ten, twenty, thirty, forty, half-third, third, half-fourth, fourth, half-fifth, one hundred.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Donkeys are the superior equine on every conceivable level and imo their reputation for stubbornness comes entirely from being too smart to put up with our poo poo and not any natural cowardice; as evidenced by the fact that they're willing and able to kick foxes, dogs, coyotes, mountain lions and wolves to death at the slightest provocation, and make excellent guard animals.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Carbon dioxide posted:

Yes.

It's 71.

The tens system in Danish is basically ten, twenty, thirty, forty, half-third, third, half-fourth, fourth, half-fifth, one hundred.

bad

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Carbon dioxide posted:

Yes.

It's 71.

What I find most interesting about this is that the concept of counting by twenties isn't a uniquely French thing and the Danes even did it more by refusing to come up with unique names for 50 and 60 as well as the 70/80/90 that French skipped.

Out of curiosity, how do 15/16/17/18/19 work in Danish? I feel like it has to be significant that French counting stops coming up with unique names at both 17 (dix sept = "ten seven") and 70 (soixante dix = "sixty ten").

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
French also does have septante, huitante, and nonante, they're just used mainly by *shudders*

the walloons and the swiss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
German words like einundzwanzig (twenty-one) aren't that bad but still just... odd. Why does the "one" come first? :iiam: