Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
That’s less the monastic society’s thing and more the pope being OP as gently caress if you know how to use him.

That said the seduction portion of things also is pretty OP, I love it when I have a young ruler and get 10+ kids and master seducer in like 3 years. Then you seduce your soon to be wife, get her to fall in love with you, break up with your other 9 lovers and marry her with absolutely no lasting consequences whatsoever. It’s fantastic and I highly recommend it any time you have a 20ish male as your avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Having every positive virtue and zero sins and passing them on to your children is definitely useful for influencing the pope.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
You can make anyone a living saint by taking the theology focus, especially if you manage to get Zealous the contemplation event fires with a mtth or something like 24 months and will remove a vice/instill a virtue/get rid of a bad lifestyle like drunkard. It even gives you 1 health while you’re doing it, it makes for an utterly fantastic ‘neutral’ focus because you are pretty constantly self improving, you’re healthier for doing it, and the church likes you more for it.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Is the ambition bloodline to rule peacefully for X years broken or something? It got up to 5 and then when a religious revolt fired (and was swiftly defeated) it reset to 1. It's really loving annoying and might just be impossible to get if you have a sizable realm.

Edit: Yeah it looks like it's bugged and needs to be consecutive years of peace, which is horseshit. It's an Ironman save, but I'm memory-editing this poo poo so I've already ruled at peace for 30 years.

Neurion fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Dec 7, 2019

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I have a soft spot for Albert Azzo II as he was my first game in Crusader Kings I, guy lived to be old as hell irl too.

Also sad 936 doesn't seem like it will make the cut, I like it quite a bit compared to 867 much less the Charlemagne start.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Neurion posted:

Is the ambition bloodline to rule peacefully for X years broken or something? It got up to 5 and then when a religious revolt fired (and was swiftly defeated) it reset to 1. It's really loving annoying and might just be impossible to get if you have a sizable realm.

Edit: Yeah it looks like it's bugged and needs to be consecutive years of peace, which is horseshit. It's an Ironman save, but I'm memory-editing this poo poo so I've already ruled at peace for 30 years.

That isn't a bug, that's literally what the ambition is. Rule for five years in peace.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Not the Realm Prosper one, the Forge Bloodline one.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Neurion posted:

Not the Realm Prosper one, the Forge Bloodline one.

Yeah I mean, that still seems intended to me. :shrug: Otherwise it would be pretty easy to get that bloodline, if you have a youngish character and they lived a long life.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah it'd be pretty loving dumb and easy if stuff like revolts didn't count. Bloodlines are already hilariously dumb and easy to stack, there shouldn't be one for "be an emperor and then don't declare a war"

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Even so, turns out one of my problems was the event for ticking the counter up each year somehow broke and stopped firing, so I just went and made a small Cheat Engine script to enable the console in Ironman and made that event start firing again.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah it'd be pretty loving dumb and easy if stuff like revolts didn't count. Bloodlines are already hilariously dumb and easy to stack, there shouldn't be one for "be an emperor and then don't declare a war"

It does take me a little out of it, though. Like, everyone would have remembered this emperor's commitment to peace and prosperity, but 29 years in, some peasants took up arms after his vassal's vassal's vassal's marshal started beating people up.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

No Pants posted:

It does take me a little out of it, though. Like, everyone would have remembered this emperor's commitment to peace and prosperity, but 29 years in, some peasants took up arms after his vassal's vassal's vassal's marshal started beating people up.

Yeah, that's true. Although I guess you could look at it in the same way that we do in the modern day. Like, if some low-level manager harasses and assaults some employees/customers and gets all over the news, it's gonna look real bad for the CEO and company as a whole. :v: But yeah, I get how you feel about that - since you can't really help it.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

ilitarist posted:

Tried Welsh petty king challenge. Wanted to at least marry his children to English, seems easy enough. Was worried that it'd be hard to expand unless English collapse which does not seem likely anytime soon with Richard the Lionheart in the office. Went making tributaries out of Irish.

Died from a random decease 3 years into the game.

Reading how other people do it I gathered all my wits and calculated every move. I've laid rails for a great landgrab and seduced all the ladies and also signed up for sainthood in the order.

Died 3 years (age 25) into the game because of stress.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ilitarist posted:

Reading how other people do it I gathered all my wits and calculated every move. I've laid rails for a great landgrab and seduced all the ladies and also signed up for sainthood in the order.

Died 3 years (age 25) into the game because of stress.

Last time I tried Alfred the Great, he died of cancer within 4 years :bahgawd:

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

My current run as Asturias has been out of this world. The Karlings shattered, Byzantium became tengri after nomads somehow inherited the throne, Saxony blobbed across all Europe so only the British Isles, Aquitaine, Italy and my northern section of Spain remained Catholic. Ummayads kept trying to gobble me up, could get no help from Karl, so all I had was the absolute bro "the dragon" king of Brittany coming to my aid, literally saved my run when his 2000 men turned up.

Then came Alaricho the blessed, took half of Spain, pushed a claim on a family members claim of Aquitaine so the branch family defended the north whilst Alaricho focussed spain, put his brother on the throne of Austrasia after winning the first crusade, built a fountain of youth, linked the De Cantabrians to Alexander to claim his blood, founded his own bloodline of a murderer after the ummayads took his sister and made her a concubine and after death was proclaimed a saint even though in his early years he was a devil worshipper. The absolute best character I've ever played, his son was almost as good with his 33 marshal and my current character Empress Monnia is a beast too.

I'll post a bit more detail later.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Thrasophius posted:

Byzantium became tengri after nomads somehow inherited the throne

I've seen this happen with them all becoming Jewish Khazars. The nomads probably won a Subjugation war, which transfers the Empire title to the Khagan and changes its inheritance law to Nomadic.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

I'm regretting selling the children's crusade into slavery since now I've got to try to crack the Abbasids by myself. That's karma, I guess. Sorta.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Neurion posted:

I've seen this happen with them all becoming Jewish Khazars. The nomads probably won a Subjugation war, which transfers the Empire title to the Khagan and changes its inheritance law to Nomadic.

That would explain a lot. The empire later rose again reclaiming the throne and becoming orthodox however it drained them and Thrace, including Constantinople, was taken by Arabs. The empire now has a few provinces in Greece, it won't be around much longer.

Alaricho after supporting his relatives claim to the throne, supported the children's crusade which eventually took Jerusalem, it was reconquered by the Arabs though and he fled to my court where he was made Duke of Portugal.

The branch family that held Aquitaine eventually took all of France whilst Alaricho struggled against the ummayads, becoming vastly stronger than their liege in personal levy. Alaricho forced gavel kind on Aquitaine and challenged the new king of Aquitaine to a duel to kill him and break their power. 60PCS Vs ~40, Alaricho lost somehow but from the duel he became best friends with the king of Aquitaine securing stability for the time being.

I've honestly never been too invested in the personal stories of the game but this dynasty has been crazy interesting.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

No Pants posted:

That's a bit of it to me though- a monarch so committed to peace and prosperity and good government that their mere name confers confidence in everyone a few hundred years later... wouldn't have had a lovely vassal's vassal appoint someone who's so awful that thousands of people take up arms. That'd be just a solid, good monarch. Bloodlines should be for insanely good poo poo.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Ok, now I've tried that Welsh king Lwlwlwn for the third time (plus a couple of times when I realized I've made a dumb choice of not selecting Seduce as my first focus and similar stuff) and this time it's going great. I've visited holy land and became an insanely rich crusader, Richard Lionheart is my buddy, I've seduced enough women to have something like 10 children, most of them legitimized. I've created the kingdom of Wales and allied England instead of swearing fealty to England so I'm not sure about my long-term prospects. Maybe I'll go take some Scottish lands, maybe I'll hope for England disintegrating - that Irish lord seems to be quite powerful.

Some of my more enjoyable Paradox games were about trying the start work for the 5th time. Not because those are difficult - there were difficult ones I've pulled off from the start - but because I'm able to learn who's who, remember important people and AIs who make certain decisions, grow attached to those two kids I have at the start, one of which has a potential to become a great steward and so on. Monarch Journey and achievements are few things that encourage that kind of playstyle in Paradox games, the one where you see a pattern and setting amidst random noise - it's not like anyone consciously thought about creating an interesting court with interesting traits for that random dude in 1196 AD, same happens even in fully randomized world. But usually, after an unsuccessful or semi-successful campaign I think about 400 countries/4000 characters I haven't tried yet, many of those have something special about it, I should experience more of this game world before the sweet embrace of death saves me from such desires. And I really should dig deeper.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

As previously mentioned my old ruler Alaricho found proof that the family was directly descended from Alexander. I didn't realise just how powerful that blood is because it's the first time I've gotten it. Used it to conquer a lot, my last use has been with my current ruler to put the nail in the Karlings coffin and take East Francis so all that exist are Karling dukes.

What's interesting is I forgot who exactly had that blood and I've won a few crusades putting my kin as benefactor and they have gone wild. Checked in on the king of Jerusalem and he took all Arabia, Thrace took Italy and Bavaria is currently invading Bohemia. I've unleashed a monster, currently England and Ireland are slugging it out too after some inheritance shenanigans led to my family on the throne. Soon all Europe will be a giant civil war of Alexander's descendants.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That's a bit of it to me though- a monarch so committed to peace and prosperity and good government that their mere name confers confidence in everyone a few hundred years later... wouldn't have had a lovely vassal's vassal appoint someone who's so awful that thousands of people take up arms. That'd be just a solid, good monarch. Bloodlines should be for insanely good poo poo.

:shrug: You don’t have control over any of that, so the “you are playing as the current ruler” thing falls apart for me. I’m hoping CK3’s enforced role playing helps with that feeling.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I haven't played Catholics for a while, and played very casually for the last few years. But now that I'm tryharding after getting into Welsh kings for the third time, I can see why everyone's negative on crusades and saints.

My first character joined Crusade, landed in Egypt and just followed Papal doomstack. Got out of it with thousands of piety and prestige and, most importantly, 2000 gold. My second character joined a microcrusade against Fraticelli Aragon. And got out of it with 10.000 of gold for sieging 2 counties, no fighting. It's ridiculous, my kingdom was like 12 provinces at that point. Now in his 30-ies my second king has all the prestige and piety in the world and throughs all the money on getting a holy bloodline.

But he already has a saint bloodline from the first dude. I've played that guy as a seducer cause one of the challenges requires you to have a lot of children. He didn't get any seducer trait that would disqualify him from sainthood, but he sired 6 bastards he legitimized and a couple more known bastards. He waged wars. He is a known murderer. But it doesn't matter, he joined the holy order society. There he was probably strapped to the chair from Clockwork Orange and monks read him stories of sinful men. He was lustful and greedy albeit a crusader, and then he got every virtue there is in the world. I'm not opposed to the idea itself, but I'd think it should work so that you have to throw away all your riches and prestige to completely change your character like that. My dude continued wars of expansion and was rich beyond measure. His son, my second character, also joined the same order and is on his way to sainthood too. So I can see that it doesn't really matter who you play is, any Catholic can become ridiculously pious and ask pope for claims and money for a negligible cost. And AI doesn't seem to care about those papal interactions.

Feels like playing with cheats. Hope CK3 won't be as easy to break both in terms of mechanics and immersion.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
Holy orders are pretty overpowered for catholics because of Pope powers to grant you money, claims, invasions and excommunications. So you can join the order, get virtues and piety and then ask Pope for claims(sometimes with excommunication if he likes that lord too much), then push multiple duchy claims with mercs hired for pope money. Then again, when your only source of claims was fabrication or relatives catholic play was slow and boring and everyone recommended becoming a heretic at first opportunity.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

For quite some time I've played Catholics the boring way, e.g. the first Monarch Journey. I thought it was OK.

My problem with this is mostly that AI doesn't know how it works. It would be dumb if everyone would try to outsaint each other but it would make more sense than it does now, with one simple trick allowing you to carve an empire.

It reminds me of EU3 where it felt like I'm the only one interested in expansion, which made a few games interesting but never gave me that geopolitical challenge EU4 provides.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

dev diary about the new 3d portraits and traits:

https://www.crusaderkings.com/news/dev-diary-7-characters-and-portraits

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

They're looking better with each dev diary. I'm really liking the switch to 3D portraits so far.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I like the 3D portraits if only so that you can marry a Scandinavian without your children turning into grey husks

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

ilitarist posted:

Now in his 30-ies my second king has all the prestige and piety in the world and throughs all the money on getting a holy bloodline.

Pretty much what happened to me. Started playing Alaricho at 16, he was in devil worship a while, got horns, voice of Satan etc etc, still had time to switch to Benedictine, work up to conversus, eradicate all sins, lose the negative modifiers and be proclaimed a saint.

All the while crusades are happening everywhere so I'm rolling in cash and built a fountain of youth to keep everyone going. I have the blood of Alexander so I only invade and my threat is through the roof so I settle and use the piety to solve border gore, revoke titles, fix the borders then put them under the de jure viceroy so they aren't my problem.

Speaking of threat, betrothals are op as gently caress, I have 100% threat, want East Francia, betrothal with Karlings for none aggression removing them from all defensive pacts, break betrothal (oh no -20 opinion from the dude whose land I want to take) invasion casus belli. My 40k stack versus the 10k they can muster. CK2 definitely feels WAY easier than it used to be. Is it just play time or has it genuinely gotten a lot easier?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Will 3D portraits work with quacks amputating random limbs?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

quote:

In CK2 you could easily end up with 5-8 personality traits without much effort, but then what really defined you? It was hard to get a grip on who a character really was

What? No?

quote:

characters tend to not have more than 3 personality traits

urrrrrrrrrrgh

quote:

Before moving on to the Portraits themselves, I’d like to mention genetic traits! Traits such as Strong and Genius were much sought-after in CK2, and you often went out of your way to breed those traits into your direct line. In CK3 this is even more involved, with genetic traits having multiple levels that you can improve with successive generations (which can be sped up by inbreeding!)

oh my loving goooooood :shepface:

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

We were just talking about how easy it is to turn on holy order mode and transform any character into a saint in a few years. What they describe is a huge step forward.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I think is not just societies, is like almost every new feature or mechanic makes the game easier

Societies, artifacts, bloodlines, retinues, the new crusade mechanics, the new reform religion mechanics, character focus: all made the game easier. CK2 with all DLCs is a lot easier than it was at launch

edit: also custom titles, hospitals and the court physician. At the top of my head, the only new feature I can think that dont make the game easier is the conclave council

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Dec 11, 2019

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Was about to say, all that fancy sainthood crap ain't in the base game. The traits you're born with have large overlap with the traits you die with, there's not a lot of control there without DLC.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Elias_Maluco posted:

I think is not just societies, is like almost every new feature or mechanic makes the game easier

Societies, artifacts, bloodlines, retinues, the new crusade mechanics, the new reform religion mechanics, character focus: all made the game easier. CK2 with all DLCs is a lot easier than it was at launch

Yeah, it's not a problem with the personality system per se so much as the power creep. And I certainly don't have a problem with them making personality traits more enduring. But like every time I've gone to add a custom character while modding I've felt like I haven't had enough space to fully express someone's personality with the five traits you can give them, and I have never at any point playing any incarnation of CK thought to myself, "dang, this guy just has too many traits, I have no idea who he is". In fact, one of the reasons I find the characters in Imperator leave me cold is that they have hardly any traits. On that alone they feel insubstantial.

At this point the CK3 DDs proudly announcing features that are the exact opposite of what I was hoping for is getting to be a trend. Not a great feeling.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

It's not as the features themselves are that bad, but they're poorly balanced. If you have a flagship expansion feature it can't be small, and so, say, hospitals cost more than a city. They talk about stress mechanic in CK3 that doesn't let you do something against your nature. You can already see it in CK2 in some places, a lot of events give you an opportunity to develop a good trait with a chance of getting stress.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
They should introduce a numerical scale for personality on 14 dimensions for current 7 sins/virtues, craven-brave, trusting-paranoid, content-ambitious, honest-deceitful, shy-gregarious, lawful-arbitrary, zealous-cynical. Then assign every action and event in game a 14-dimensional vector for the corresponding personality change, so it just shifts in some direction, not completely flips to the opposite because of an event.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Dec 11, 2019

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

In fact, one of the reasons I find the characters in Imperator leave me cold is that they have hardly any traits.

And I have an opposite feeling: when I look at a character in I:R I can see a character because that guy is greedy and pious, end of the story. It's a good enough characteristic for a background Shakespear character and it's enough for what the game tries to do. CK2 characters feel like snowflakes to me, they all have more traits than a main character in a Dostoyevsky novel, they're walking heaps of contradictions, miserable little piles of secrets. Plus at any moment a wench can throw herself at anyone and they become lustful, no one is safe from her.

I was happy when I saw that DevDiary, so there are people like us who want that.

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Dec 11, 2019

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

edit: also custom titles, hospitals and the court physician. At the top of my head, the only new feature I can think that dont make the game easier is the conclave council

Also worth remembering that Conclave was panned as a DLC for it, despite being really great.

Although again, Conclave and juggling your council was been made super easy with Chinese artefacts usually giving flat Vassal opinion boosts and Bloodlines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Yeah, my last game was a norse game, to try the new reform mechanics

I had 50-100 relations with my vassals almost all the time just for a combination of bloodlines+artifacts+viking trait+valhala bound trait and then all the good traits I was always getting from societies (sometimes hermetics, sometimes that war lodge or something) and char focus. I usually had god-like stats for every char too, thanks to those same things. Never had a rebelion, not even a dangerous faction. And the few times the council wanst doing what I wanted I just bought favors

edit: and I disabled China interaction with those not on the far east, so I didint had access to chinese artifacts. But I had regular smith artifacts and stolen artifacts and magnum opus and etc

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Dec 11, 2019