Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Those Youtube videos where a woman does her makeup while explaining a true crime story are the culmination of all the cultural forces of the past ten years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
No "we fed an AI (related volume of written material, like all the books written by an author) and this is what it returned" thing has ever been funny or interesting. It's always just a bunch of random gibberish. If that is the best of what AI is capable of, things like self driving cars are so far off in to the future that it's not even worth discussing in this century.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Those are all fake, dude.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doesn't change the fact that none of them are funny/interesting, nor does it detract from my point that if AI can't even produce that fake crap, it is worthless in our lifetimes.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

yeah I eat rear end posted:

doesn't change the fact that none of them are funny/interesting, nor does it detract from my point that if AI can't even produce that fake crap, it is worthless in our lifetimes.

you seem to misunderstand just how far we've come in technology in the past 40 years. Its ignorant to say that some college student's AI that makes garbage ramblings means we will never see anything useful come out of AI in our lives. If anything, the issue keeping us from advancing further in these works is that we still don't really understand how to correctly use the newfangled things we have. Learning something is as easy as breathing, so it won't even be too long of a gridlock.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

spit on my clit posted:

you seem to misunderstand just how far we've come in technology in the past 40 years. Its ignorant to say that some college student's AI that makes garbage ramblings means we will never see anything useful come out of AI in our lives.

ignorant is my middle name

And my argument is to kill to the AI robots before they can kill us. The only robot I want to exist is a robot that has a command that can kill it at any moment that it can't override. Giving robots free will would be a mistake.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Aphrodite posted:

Those are all fake, dude.
Some people have made fake ones, but most of them are real (because it's actually way easier to do it for real than fake it). There are websites you can just dump any text you like into and they'll spit out some generated text based on that input.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Giving robots free will would be a mistake.
Good news: free will doesn't and can't exist so giving it to robots is impossible.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tiggum posted:

Good news: free will doesn't and can't exist so giving it to robots is impossible.

the fact that people willingly pay money to post on a forum is proof enough that free will exists.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I've read recently that current AI stuff is believed by many researchers to be heavily flawed and based on a bunch of cheats and shortcuts that means it can never really evolve much.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

I've read recently that current AI stuff is believed by many researchers to be heavily flawed and based on a bunch of cheats and shortcuts that means it can never really evolve much.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

spit on my clit posted:

the fact that people willingly pay money to post on a forum is proof enough that free will exists.

God knew you would end up here when he created you to punish us

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

God knew you would end up here when he created you to punish us

I'm the Punisher, baby. Like Jane Thomas if he created Homestuck.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

spit on my clit posted:

It's mostly proof that people are stupid. Because the internet made us that way, you see.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's mostly proof that people are stupid. Because the internet made us that way, you see.

A few smart people have been members of this forum, like Cboyardee, and

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Trapick posted:

PHUO: all fast food places should stop trying to reinvent fries and just copy McDonald's as closely as they can.

Checkers's fries are far superior.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

"One hit wonders" don't get that status by getting lucky despite their talent, it is more because they refused to do what is necessary to be successful in the music industry, i.e. eat the right asses. Chumbawamba could have been the next beatles, but they had integrity so they are forever doomed to getting knocked down but getting up again.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The Beatles and Green Day were the best bands of the 20th century

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

you're just trying to bait me into talking about how the offspring are/were much better than green day again, and i'm not falling for it.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahaaha

thanks, i needed that laugh

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019
I enjoy listening to glam metal.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Uncle Lloyd posted:

I enjoy listening to glam metal.

:same:

Motley Crue in particular are some real bad people who made some real good jams.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Planescape: Torment was actually terrible and boring.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It should not be legal to sing "This Land" but exclude the verse where one side of the highway has a sign that reads "Private Property" and the other is a side made for you and me.

That poo poo gets the hell on my nerves.

See also ***old timey instrumentals*** SOME FOLKS ARE BOOOORN, MAAAAADE TO WAVE THE FLAG... OOOH THEY'RE RED WHITE AND BLUE and then the rest of the song, instrumental.

The only thing worse than corporations stealing music is them stealing it and then loving it up to say the opposite thing of what the actual song says

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It should not be legal to sing "This Land" but exclude the verse where one side of the highway has a sign that reads "Private Property" and the other is a side made for you and me.

Agreed wholeheartedly. That’s the loving point of the song, fer’ Chrissake.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I don't think the title of the song you're talking about is "This Land" because, well, the lyrics to that are something else entirely.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Hyperlynx posted:

Planescape: Torment was actually terrible and boring.

Its good but I'd probably rather read the book version

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I’m pretty sure “the Beatles are the best band of the 20th century” is the most popular music opinion there is

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Jerry Cotton posted:

I don't think the title of the song you're talking about is "This Land" because, well, the lyrics to that are something else entirely.

I’m pretty sure he means ‘this land is your land’ by Woodie Guthrie, because that’s a commonly sung song.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I refuse to use the self-checkout at any store because I feel like it's a way to cut employees by making the public do their work. Pay the fuckin cashier 10 bucks an hour to scan and bag my stuff. Greedy fucks.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Untrustable posted:

10 bucks an hour

hey now lets not shoot for the moon or anything :v:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Untrustable posted:

I refuse to use the self-checkout at any store because I feel like it's a way to cut employees by making the public do their work. Pay the fuckin cashier 10 bucks an hour to scan and bag my stuff. Greedy fucks.

While I can see your point, A) they're going to phase checkout workers out anyway regardless of what you do and B) self checkout is just so much more convenient, even if technically you are doing free labour.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tiggum posted:

self checkout is just so much more convenient

Show me a set-up where it's more convenient, TIA.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

full-length mirror bb :forkbomb:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

We should go back to the original way markets worked and just hand our list to a clerk and wait for them to gather everything for us.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking me to do here. In my experience it's always more convenient, because the manned checkouts are deliberately understaffed and crowded whereas self-checkout almost never has any waiting and plenty of room. If you go through the regular checkout you have to return your own basket to the stack, but at the self-checkout it's pretty much always gone before your receipt's even printed. Because they're not providing bags by default any more, you either have to try to get the staff member to use your bag (which will hold everything up because they've already started scanning stuff and piling it up) or bag it yourself - which there is no room to do. And at the self checkout you can go at your own pace and not be rushed or delayed.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tiggum posted:

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking me to do here. In my experience it's always more convenient, because the manned checkouts are deliberately understaffed and crowded whereas self-checkout almost never has any waiting and plenty of room. If you go through the regular checkout you have to return your own basket to the stack, but at the self-checkout it's pretty much always gone before your receipt's even printed. Because they're not providing bags by default any more, you either have to try to get the staff member to use your bag (which will hold everything up because they've already started scanning stuff and piling it up) or bag it yourself - which there is no room to do. And at the self checkout you can go at your own pace and not be rushed or delayed.

Oh, your shops are a piece of poo poo. My advice is to emigrate.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Cashiers have been phased out already. There's just "employees" that do multiple jobs at once and many over a shift. The ones you are most likely to see are the ones running checkout lanes, but those few turning into one employee watching another set of self-checkouts isn't a death knell for the workers. The others will be doing other jobs at once instead, or the company would have already laid them off and just had the one employee running one lane.

At best the job descriptions in the modern store are front crew, back crew, and night crew. Front crew smile and check you out and watch for shoplifting and refund you and poo poo. Back crew are the ones your racist uncle complains about if he sees them daring to do their jobs during daylight hours. Night crew do the jobs of both crews but have the luxury of being ruder to customers because even the night manager knows how bullshit the whole thing is and just wants to get their main job (which is not to check out the weirdos who absolutely must get the full grocery store experience at 3am) done.

Source: was night crew once

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 19:45 on Dec 9, 2019

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Henchman of Santa posted:

I’m pretty sure “the Beatles are the best band of the 20th century” is the most popular music opinion there is

Which is wrong because the Mighty Mighty Bosstones were part of the 20th century.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Back crew are the ones your racist uncle complains about if he sees them daring to do their jobs during daylight hours.

i think you're the only person in america this applies to because i sure as hell never see or hear about anyone's "racist uncle" complaining about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

spit on my clit posted:

i think you're the only person in america this applies to because i sure as hell never see or hear about anyone's "racist uncle" complaining about that.

paraphrased "ugh why are they stocking shelves during business hours! they should do that at night! this trolley of goods to be stocked mildly inconveniences me!

also why the gently caress aren't there any of the product i want on the shelf?? can someone get me a manager? is there any in the back? are you layabouts hoarding it?"