Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

PantsBandit posted:

A crime scene investigation game in vr would be cool. Relatively small, contained environments for the player to poke and prod at for clues.

Holy poo poo, just do "Ace Attorney: VR". Now with immersive objection-action!

Yeah, LA Noire + I expect you to die would be really cool. Like, a sort of escape room but you're a detective.

Could give it a Law & Order or CSI style if you had the license :doink:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, LA Noire + I expect you to die would be really cool. Like, a sort of escape room but you're a detective.

This kinda exists! Check out Mr.Hack Jack: Robot Detective on Steam. I haven't played it yet, but it's supposed to be quite good.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This kinda exists! Check out Mr.Hack Jack: Robot Detective on Steam. I haven't played it yet, but it's supposed to be quite good.

Wow I've never seen this but it looks cool

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Zaphod42 posted:

Someone get the Zero Escape series writer an Index ASAP.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hellsau posted:

Someone get the Zero Escape series writer an Index ASAP.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Is there a mod to get the Rift S a little farther away from my face? Lasted a lot longer in last night's session and managed to figure out, everything crisps up and plus all the text on the screen can be read, if I extend the HMD as far as it will go using the button on the bottom and then stretch it another 1/2" or so away from my face.

Changing settings and the like was next to impossible with the blurry text. Used on hand to hold the HMD off my face a bit--and it was perfect. Rolled up some socks and stuffed them around the sides for a race or two and as ghetto as it looked, it worked. As soon as I removed the socks--I could see the rings in the lens and everything back to blurry.

Seems like there are lots of mods for the Quest, but didn't see anything about extending a Rift S. Anything out there you guys know about? Am I doing it wrong? Tonight, I'll probably try clean socks...

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Sounds more like you need corrective lenses in your HMD, or you have an incorrectly assembled product. I'm not an optometrist, mind you. What's your IPD?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
How sturdy is the Quest generally? Going to Florida in a couple weeks for the holidays and my sisters want to try it, but I dunno if I want to risk my expensive piece of tech by shoving it in a suitcase. Is there some sort of carrying case people use?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Rift S is famous for having fixed IPD, that seems to be your problem.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

PantsBandit posted:

How sturdy is the Quest generally? Going to Florida in a couple weeks for the holidays and my sisters want to try it, but I dunno if I want to risk my expensive piece of tech by shoving it in a suitcase. Is there some sort of carrying case people use?
There's an official case that's worked fine for me. I've also packed it sans case and it's been fine. Maybe surround it with clothes in the suitcase.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
67.5 is my ruler on the forehead looking in a mirror IPD reading... (And set the Rift S to 67.4 in the settings, but know what you are talking about with the fixed 64mm.)

Saw it mentioned in the thread about corrective lenses. I have a few questions about corrective lenses too! :) Which prescription would you want? I'd assume you want a prescription for readers? I have progressive lenses and computer lenses which are readers with the distance extended a bit. (As an fyi--my computer glasses fit under the Rift S cowl and make no difference in legibility of text. Still have to pull the HMD away from my face a bit to get focus--which I'm guessing only lends credence to IPD issues?)

And are the lenses interchangeable? i.e. If I get lenses to fit the Rift S, can I swap them into a Quest? My guess is with Lenovo making the Rift S, those lenses are going to be unique to the headset?

My brother tossed his Quest into a shoe box to transport to our Thanksgiving feast. Worked well. Has me shopping for a 2070 and faster processor now, though so gently caress him.

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.
Jesus... please help me turn off the haptic feedback of my oculus rift s controllers!! I hate it. It causes the batteries to leak power like a sieve. It's the worst thing. I've searched the internets and found nothing but other people clamoring for that feature... any help here? I'm considering just tearing apart the controllers and ripping out the wires from whatever haptic device is in there.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

So I went to re-install the Oculus software so I could check out some exclusives...

... the installer FORCES you to install to the C: drive?

... you have to run it from command line to install to other drives?

What in the ever loving gently caress are you thinking, Facebook? What the loving poo poo is this garbage? Why even have a loving GUI installer if its so hardcoded?!

:psyduck: Its just completely baffling. What.... why???

VR gamers are babies that can't be trusted to choose where to install software to?!?!? I can't understand this.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Reminds me of Pool of Radiance 2. When you installed it to something other than the C drive, the uninstall would just delete everything off the C drive when it didn't find the game there.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

pun pundit posted:

Reminds me of Pool of Radiance 2. When you installed it to something other than the C drive, the uninstall would just delete everything off the C drive when it didn't find the game there.

That was such a good game with so many many bugs.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

pun pundit posted:

Either Myth or Myth 2 had a similar problem where it would delete the entire root folder of where you installed the game, not just the game folder, so if you installed it to C: then it would basically format your drive.

They had to pull the game from store shelves literally the night before it went on sale and reprinted all copies at enormous cost.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Zaphod42 posted:

So I went to re-install the Oculus software so I could check out some exclusives...

... the installer FORCES you to install to the C: drive?

What in the ever loving gently caress are you thinking, Facebook? What the loving poo poo is this garbage? Why even have a loving GUI installer if its so hardcoded?!

:psyduck: Its just completely baffling. What.... why???

VR gamers are babies that can't be trusted to choose where to install software to?!?!? I can't understand this.

I recall reading there's potential weirdness with the software if you install it to other drives. Not sure why, but I guess it looks for things in relative paths for some stupid reason.

I have the actual Oculus software on my C drive, but the folder it downloads games to on another drive, and that seems to work.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

HycoCam posted:

Which prescription would you want?
VR headsets are generally set up with a focus distance of about 2 meters, so you need whatever glasses that help you see clearly at that distance. Neither reader nor computer lenses will help you there, and I think progressive lenses aren't exactly well suited for VR use either. So I guess you need to get a pair of regular "far distance" glasses / prescription inserts.

As per VR Optician (regarding the correction parameters):

quote:

Your far distance prescription (and not your reading or PC prescription)
Also:

quote:

Our Oculus Rift S adapters are the same as the ones for the Oculus Go and the Oculus Quest - with the only difference being that the Oculus Quest is the only one with a variable physical IPD (inter-pupillary distance). If you already have Oculus Go adapters, you can use them for the Oculus Rift S as well. If you already have Oculus Quests adapters, you could try whether they work for you despite not being adjusted for your IPD.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
After over an hour of beatsabing and pistolwhipping, I added BoxVR at hard for like 20 minutes to it. I can already feel the soreness coming, since these are motions I typically haven't done much over the day so far. :S

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Surprise! Hand tracking for Quest is rolling out starting now.
Presumably everyone should be able to update by the end of the week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjTSNi4gj5o

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 9, 2019

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Combat Pretzel posted:

After over an hour of beatsabing and pistolwhipping, I added BoxVR at hard for like 20 minutes to it. I can already feel the soreness coming, since these are motions I typically haven't done much over the day so far. :S

Now just add OhShape and the circle is complete!

https://twitter.com/oculus/status/1204099138033373184?s=20

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 9, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

TVs Ian posted:

I recall reading there's potential weirdness with the software if you install it to other drives. Not sure why, but I guess it looks for things in relative paths for some stupid reason.

I have the actual Oculus software on my C drive, but the folder it downloads games to on another drive, and that seems to work.

Doing this in 2019 is loving absurd

Burn Facebook to the ground

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Zaphod42 posted:

Doing this in 2019 is loving absurd

Curious, Why?

Its not like home itself is large, and your actual game library can be anywhere.

Honest question and I'm curious why anyone would really care.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

EbolaIvory posted:

Curious, Why?

Its not like home itself is large, and your actual game library can be anywhere.

Honest question and I'm curious why anyone would really care.

Because lots of people have an SSD as their C drive for windows and it doesn't have a ton of free space left??

Its more than a few gigabytes, you should have the choice of where to install it. That's so basic.

Its just a trivial thing to solve and should never be an issue. Assuming any drive letter is anything in particular is ridiculously stupid and defeats half the point of having an OS.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Zaphod42 posted:

Because lots of people have an SSD as their C drive for windows and it doesn't have a ton of free space left??

Its more than a few gigabytes, you should have the choice of where to install it. That's so basic.

Its just a trivial thing to solve and should never be an issue. Assuming any drive letter is anything in particular is ridiculously stupid and defeats half the point of having an OS.

SSD storage is really really really really cheap in 2019.

Any other reasons? Or just like, storage premium?

Its also not that large, so I have no idea wtf you're talking about and 512 SSD storage is well under 100 bucks these days.

End of the day whatever, Just, Weird people give that much of a poo poo.

I'm actually curious if anyone has a reason other than storage, Figured that'd be the first complaint and should have just said "except that" because storage is trivial.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I think "because offering the option is a solved problem for like 30+ years of PC computing" is a reasonable enough point to make against a modern piece of software made by, ostensibly, a modern PC software/hardware developer. "Just buy more storage" isn't a reasonable solution to a problem that has been solved that long.

I don't like having programs on the C Drive, literally every other software I've installed in the last 20 years I've been installing software has given me the option. It is, at the very least, strange, that they don't here.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I think "because offering the option is a solved problem for like 30+ years of PC computing" is a reasonable enough point to make against a modern piece of software made by, ostensibly, a modern PC software/hardware developer.

I don't like having programs on the C Drive, literally every other software I've installed in the last 20 years I've been installing software has given me the option. It is, at the very least, strange, that they don't here.

Btw

https://support.oculus.com/1142129705828091/

Obnoxious as it is, This does exist.

FWIW I've had a few applications and such over the years (nearing 30 years huehue) require or highly recommend using the system drive. Sometimes theres legit reasons for it, Even if they are stupid reasons. >_>

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

EbolaIvory posted:

SSD storage is really really really really cheap in 2019.
Those idiots whose laptops and computers I keep fixing beg to differ.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

That there exists a pretty silly workaround to a problem that, again, should just be in the installer like every other piece of software in the world, doesn't really work in Facebook's favour. Clearly the program doesn't need to be on the system drive, otherwise they wouldn't publish a workaround, and yet.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Jesus christ just use symlinks and shut the gently caress up

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

EbolaIvory posted:

Btw

FWIW I've had a few applications and such over the years (nearing 30 years huehue) require or highly recommend using the system drive. Sometimes theres legit reasons for it, Even if they are stupid reasons. >_>

Zaphod pointed out in his initial post that that was possible, and it sure doesn't seem like there's any legit reason for it to not be in the GUI installer if it can be installed somewhere else. It's just dumb and annoying.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lemming posted:

Zaphod pointed out in his initial post that that was possible, and it sure doesn't seem like there's any legit reason for it to not be in the GUI installer if it can be installed somewhere else. It's just dumb and annoying.

Being 100% honest. I never even noticed I couldn't change it until people here started talking about it. Because, its a base app that I want to run as good as possible, and my system drive is the fastest drive. So like, It makes no sense to me to move it anyways.

Guessing, thats probably what oculus said too. "Lets gatekeep people from dropping this on a lovely drive thats too slow".

Combat Pretzel posted:

Those idiots whose laptops and computers I keep fixing beg to differ.

Those people with laptops that can't run VR to begin with? Got a VR ready laptop and can't spare 5-10 gigs? Really?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

did you design the program or something

like what's your investment here

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

did you design the program or something

like what's your investment here

What makes you assume that? I'm simply looking at it from the other side of the coin. Hell, I don't even use a rift anymore, Vive Pro Wireless Master Race.

My investment is having a conversation and actually understanding a logical reason as to why its a big deal other than "MY FREEDOM!". Because MAYBE theres something valid there, and MAYBE its something that could be passed on to others if it makes sense. MY FREEDOM/STORAGE isnt though.

Storage is super cheap, so its really non issue to someone who can afford a VR ready computer in 2019. SO what other actual real reasons are there to be "upset" that you cant move it off the main system drive, which, in most cases is the fastest drive and makes the most sense for your VR backbone to be running on it anyways.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I guess it's because like 4 seperate people have told you 4 separate reasons for the bad design being bad and you keep insisting people can just buy a new SSD, run the installer in CMD or not install it on a laptop as reasonable alternatives to "just do whatever every single installer program ever made does"

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I guess it's because like 4 seperate people have told you 4 separate reasons for the bad design being bad and you keep insisting people can just buy a new SSD, run the installer in CMD or not install it on a laptop as reasonable alternatives to "just do whatever every single installer program ever made does"

Nobody has given a reason other than storage, or "because its weird".

No actual reason as to why it being on C is bad other than that. Thats my point. 4 Separate people have parroted that it "sucks i cant change it" but not actually saying "because this reason". And the only thing people have really focused on, was storage space. So no?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Why do you care so much about what drive people install their games to, calm down

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

homeless snail posted:

Why do you care so much about what drive people install their games to, calm down

I don't. I think its funny people are so triggered over oculus software installing on C and really want to understand why people seem so weird about it. Its fascinating to me.

I also love when people shoot down logical simple things and still make a deal over it. Nobody said its not annoying, but like, its not that big of a deal ya know?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

EbolaIvory posted:

I don't. I think its funny people are so triggered over oculus software installing on C and really want to understand why people seem so weird about it. Its fascinating to me.

my dude you literally can't stop replying to this topic. "Triggered! lmao!" isn't a super convincing position when this is like, post 92 about it. If it's not that big of a deal why do you care so much

what if my c drive isn't the fastest drive in my computer
what if my laptop can support vr
what if i just like having stuff organized a certain way

I'm sorry that you made a bad installer but presumably its pretty easy to fix!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

EbolaIvory posted:

Btw

Zaphod42 posted:

Do you work for Facebook??