Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Is that seriously a ground wire going into a bag of dirt?

The ground wire is green-yellow, so it's probably from a country where 'electrical ground' and 'soil' are the same word in the local language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Is that seriously a ground wire going into a bag of dirt?

I wouldn't be able to resist labeling it the "earf ground". (I think the actual ground is the bolt slightly above it)

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

https://streamable.com/g42ij

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Groda posted:

The ground wire is green-yellow, so it's probably from a country where 'electrical ground' and 'soil' are the same word in the local language.

Like earth and earth?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Like earth and earth?

Erde und Erde?

e: loving nouns.

madeintaipei fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 9, 2019

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah isn't that "every English speaking country"?

Also, I very much hope those pictures are jokes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sagebrush posted:

I haven't heard that specific factoid but the math doesn't check out. A .45 has a muzzle velocity of 830 feet per second, so with a 5-inch barrel the bullet accelerates at roughly 26,000g and takes 1 millisecond to leave the barrel. The Sprint missile's overall acceleration was 100g, meaning that in 0.001s it would only have traveled half a millimeter.

The lock time, the period between pulling the trigger and the powder igniting, is many times the travel time of the bullet, but not enough to make the statement true.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

madeintaipei posted:

I wouldn't be able to resist labeling it the "earf ground".

I don't get it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/Guruleaks1/status/1203754579864825857

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Because the next five pages of this thread are going to devolve into a huuuge argument as to whether or not Will Smith's ad-libbed line in Independence Day is "Welcome to Earth" or "Welcome to Earf" after punching the alien into submission. I wanna say it's rule 36, paragraph 5, of the internet. (It's a really stupid Reddit joke)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
literally every line of the canyonero song fits

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

madeintaipei posted:

Because the next five pages of this thread are going to devolve into a huuuge argument as to whether or not Will Smith's ad-libbed line in Independence Day is "Welcome to Earth" or "Welcome to Earf" after punching the alien into submission. I wanna say it's rule 36, paragraph 5, of the internet. (It's a really stupid Reddit joke)

It's "earth," always has been, you can look up the scene to verify this in 10 seconds, and the "earf" side is racist because it's implying that Will Smith must speak AAVE because he's black.

i hope this has cleared up the argument

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Pile Of Garbage posted:

No I didn't forget about that boring bit of history. It woulda fit on my list under artillery shells/surface-to-surface rockets if you'd checked but I doubt you would as you were edgin to post that. Very well all is done.

Jesus christ what a pathetic post to make

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

mostlygray posted:

One Christmas season, like always, the weather was poo poo. He was going up Chaska hill (don''t worry about it, it won't make sense unless you're from Chaska) and he lost grip with a full load. He was probably rocking about 30,000lbs. He lost grip and started sliding backwards. He opened his door and put one foot out but kept the throttle on. It was his lucky day. He caught grip. It worked out, and our product made it to Eagan center on time. He could not be killed by conventional weapons.

mostlygray is talking about towns in Minnesota, btw.

Well, now I'm curious. At first I thought it was what used to be 212 westbound (a 6-7% grade hill around a bend) but that's the wrong direction if he was heading to Eagan.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Most of Chinese manufacturing does good work, but you get exactly what you pay for,

Up until the day your supplier decides a quick buck is worth nuking your relationship over. I'm on a forum for people having things manufactured in China and it's a reoccurring problem. A lot of contracts allow for inspection before the product is exported so they don't get burned by a supplier deciding to increase their profit margin by cutting corners.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

I don't know if anyone remembers this post from the last thread.

quote:

There's a four-storey-high birch tree between my three-storey apartment building and the one next door. It's right on the property line, about 10 feet from both buildings. The landlord wants to get rid of it. I got him a quote from an arborist, which came to $2,300, since you'd need to rig the tree not to fall on either building (or the parked cars in the road). That cost also includes getting a permit from the City, since that's required by law to cut down any tree bigger than 20cm diameter.

Pictured: the tree.

Him: "So I got that quote. That's a lot of money."
Me: "Yeah, that's what it takes to do it safely and legally."
Him: "Nah, it'll be fine. I'll come by with my chainsaw and cut it down myself. You'll see. I've done it loads of times. "
Me:

This hasn't happened yet, but I'm planning on not being in the building when and if it does.

Anyway, my landlord finally did it yesterday. He managed not to kill himself or damage the buildings, though not for want of trying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAQNwnfA4FU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM6IX3MUpTY

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I don't know if anyone remembers this post from the last thread.

Anyway, my landlord finally did it yesterday. He managed not to kill himself or damage the buildings, though not for want of trying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAQNwnfA4FU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM6IX3MUpTY

I have never been so disappointed to see a plan work exactly as intended.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

https://i.imgur.com/UqHIbRG.mp4

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Arrhythmia posted:

Jesus christ what a pathetic post to make

Seriously lol

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Chekov's forklift didn't pan out as I expected there.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

mostlygray posted:

I miss him. Best driver I've ever known. Feel free to talk poo poo about other carriers but it doesn't go ground without Brown. UPS is my jam.

I’ll talk poo poo about UPS all day long. I worked a summer slinging boxes into trucks at a package center. Just one for reasons to become abundantly clear.

This was in the south. In the humid as gently caress hot summer. The trucks were baking in the sun all day. Shift started at 4pm. We sweated so much in those tin cans that I would come home with my cotton shirt stiff as waxed canvas from sweat.

Hypothetically we were allowed to take a break every so often (forget the exact schedule - this was back in 07 so it’s been a while) plus water breaks whenever we needed them. The reality was that we were heavily discouraged from stopping at all least poo poo slow down. Get fresh air and more water when the truck is full was the order of the day. We were told to take a water bottle into the truck and keep it near the back so we could get sips as needed but lol in that heat (seriously it was north of 120 and humid) you sweat so much you would go through a while nalgen in half an hour.

Eventually I got heat stroke and collapsed. A box I was lifting up fell on my head on the way down. I ended up in the hospital with severe dehydration and a concussion. I don’t remember anything between stepping into the truck and waking up in the ambulance. The following things happened:

1) my supervisor lied to the nurses and claimed to be my brother so he could try to get my drugged, concussed rear end to sign some papers. I still have no idea what they were. My wife showed up shortly after and had some words for him and the nurses.

2) they tried to blame me. Said that I must have been using “improper lifting technique.” Insisted that if I hadn’t taken breaks or drunk enough water that was on me.

3) they hosed with my worker’s compensation. I got sent all the hospital bills (ambulance, ER, two nights hospital stay because I was dehydrated enough that they were worried about my heart) and then they gave me a bogus worker’s compensation number. Like, I couldn’t do the paperwork because it had no where near the right number of digits. They didn’t return my calls about that and it took a letter from a lawyer I happened to be drinking buddies with.

4) the quack physicians assistant they sent me to insisted that the hospital stay was unnecessary because I wasn’t dehydrated. In her words, and I get a laugh out of this from every Dr I tell it to, “it’s scientifically impossible for you to have become dehydrated after only two hours of work.” She also claimed I wasn’t concussed based on examining me two weeks later. They used these diagnoses to try and deny that I needed that hospital stay because it clearly couldn’t have been work related injuries. Again, had to involve a lawyer and I spent a loving lot of time on the phone with the hospital and the insurers. The claims were obvious bullshit but I’m sure the idea was to make it hard for me to progress and get me to just fold and pay. A lot of thr people working that job also have dick all idea what their rights are. Meanwhile I had collection agents calling about my medical bill. This went on for close to a year.

5). They never sent me my last paycheck. After the previous bull poo poo I just wrote that one off because frankly I was happy I eventually got them to pay the hospital poo poo and didn’t end up on the hook for five figures of medical debt.

So, yeah. gently caress UPS. I’m enough of a lazy hypocrite to use them but goddamn have I seen the lovely side of how they can treat the bottom rung of employees.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sagebrush posted:

It's "earth," always has been, you can look up the scene to verify this in 10 seconds, and the "earf" side is racist because it's implying that Will Smith must speak AAVE because he's black.

i hope this has cleared up the argument

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnnBNSlIqMs

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Let’s do some algebra here.

kaboom − fire = fuel

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Platystemon posted:

Let’s do some algebra here.

kaboom − fire = fuel

AKA charcoal manufacturing. Math checks out.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Cyrano4747 posted:

So, yeah. gently caress UPS. I’m enough of a lazy hypocrite to use them but goddamn have I seen the lovely side of how they can treat the bottom rung of employees.

gently caress dude that PA should have their license burned. Company-approved clinics are the scabs of the medical world.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Always fun watching this guy's videos for stuff like this.

He's lifting up his vehicles using a skidloader, no wheel chocks, on a gravel surface to pressure wash the underside.

On the plus side, he's wearing ear muffs (it's a gas powered, hot water pressure washer) and safety glasses. And, you can tell by the way the hose lays, he didn't step under the forks to move to the far side.

He also owns a proper two-post car lift, so he's using the skidloader either because he hasn't bought a hose long enough to reach the lift or he doesn't want to get the cement dirty under the lift. Soooo, the whole "skidloader lift" thing probably wasn't necessary.

On the plus side, sometimes he does read the comments on his videos and improves his behavior. Earlier this year his 15 year old Labrador tried to jump out of the boat and went underwater, getting trapped under a dock. He had to jump into the water to rescue the dog. We chewed him out in the comment section and in the next "boat" video his dog had a life vest with a handle on the back so he can lift the dog in and out of the boat.

(If you're wondering about the castle shaped shipping container thing in the background, that's probably better suited to the Crappy Construction thread. Yes, it's a multi-story castle built out of shipping containers. It's outfitted with a "liveable" space, but the "living area" is exposed to all the smells and smoke from the "garage workshop" space. Pro-tip if you're ever building the ultimate goon garage/workspace/home: don't have a balcony in your home overlooking the "workshop" space.)

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Mustached Demon posted:

gently caress dude that PA should have their license burned. Company-approved clinics are the scabs of the medical world.

That has to be a depressing job. I'm completely against company owned medical folks, mind you, but it has to suck to be the person with a medical degree at the bottom of the food chain that's hired on to rubber stamp "not our fault" on paperwork and says "don't call the EMTs" for every single accident.

Hell, these companies get big enough and they're like "nope, gently caress off" when the place catches on fire and the fire department shows up, like the Tesla plant.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/G1dYsfK.mp4

Pile Of Garbage posted:

No I didn't forget about that boring bit of history. It woulda fit on my list under artillery shells/surface-to-surface rockets if you'd checked but I doubt you would as you were edgin to post that. Very well all is done.

i have to ask since it appears you would know: is being a little bitch covered by OSHA

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Important to note that you need sound for this one.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Like earth and earth?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Cyrano4747 posted:

I’ll talk poo poo about UPS all day long. I worked a summer slinging boxes into trucks at a package center. Just one for reasons to become abundantly clear.
<snip snip snip>
5). They never sent me my last paycheck. After the previous bull poo poo I just wrote that one off because frankly I was happy I eventually got them to pay the hospital poo poo and didn’t end up on the hook for five figures of medical debt.

Jesus, why didn't you send the union after them

hello let me guess, unionizing is treated as a capital offence

I think this equation misses one element from it. Fire + fuel + air = KABOOM.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

starkebn posted:

With our without a ground wire?

It grounds against the electrical box, right? :ohdear:

I stuck one of these testers into the socket and it read "correct".

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Uthor posted:

Now you just have to figure out how to correct it!

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Uthor posted:

Hot and Ground reversed is an exciting mistake to make.

I'm not sure how you would even do that without a deliberate effort.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Nenonen posted:

Jesus, why didn't you send the union after them

hello let me guess, unionizing is treated as a capital offence

I worked for UPS for not quite four years, and did basically everything short of drive trucks. Different facilities with different locals have different relationships with management. I was local 769, and the kind of poo poo upthread would absolutely not have flown. We had an excellent relationship with management, in that they expected a certain level of productivity, and in exchange, we expected actual adherence to safety rules and regulations, and not just lip service. Lock-out-tag-out was universal, and the union would frequently stand in disciplinary meetings for people walking on moving belts or breaking jams (with their hands) on moving belts and essentially agree with management that the individual in question is a dumb poo poo and deserves to be reprimanded.

That said, that kind of environment only exists when the union officials and members MAKE it exist, which can be a tough sell. (loving right-to-work states.) My current union, despite having EXTREMELY high membership percentages and being a far more permanent career workforce is extremely apathetic, and it kinda drives me insane.

Your union is what you make it, and is your first line of defense against your employer’s indifference. OSHA only gets involved after you get ground into a fine paste by machinery.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I got the 2 things I needed from UPS: Tuition reimbursement and 5+ years of management experience on my resume. I just had to almost die a couple of times to get it. (I'm talking about YOU, exploding box of rimfire bullets!)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Yeah it was a right to work state. We had no union at all as a result. There was one long term employee who was supposedly an “employee representative” or something. She’s the one who told everyone all the on paper company rules about how we were entitled to a break every X minutes and it was always OK to get a drink, and then the supervisor would come through during the shift and tell you not to stop because boxes are backing up. He’d aways lean on the most macho posturing possible, yelling about how anyone slacking was a lazy pussy letting down the team.

Other fun things about that place: lots of recently ex-con labor afraid to rock the boat. Lots of non-pot drug users and I’m pretty sure one of the low level supervisors was dealing to employees.

Losing that job when I got hurt (the company absolutely cut me over it) was ultimately a very good thing even though it caused some financial problems in the short term.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I got the 2 things I needed from UPS: Tuition reimbursement and 5+ years of management experience on my resume. I just had to almost die a couple of times to get it. (I'm talking about YOU, exploding box of rimfire bullets!)

I was on the sort aisle one night and got showered in dildos when a box of them broke open on a transfer belt above us.

Working in a UPS hub is an experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
You box-monkeys need to be more careful with my dildos and bullets, I need them like yesterday.