Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Niwrad posted:

With the way he perceives time, wouldn't he simultaneously be in a relationship with Laurie?

With Laurie and whoever he finds to replace Angela after she gets old in like 2045 or whatever, and whoever he finds to replace that woman, and so on and so on. Dr. Manhattan is chasing that young tail throughout time and space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

w0o0o0o posted:

He nonchalantly swept them aside as well after sauntering out. Plus I don't think the Vietcong had a fancy tachyon laser cannon to scoop him up with or years of planning for the express purpose of doing so.

You mean when she was still sneaking around the house and that 7k dude rounded the corner and levelled his gun at her? Or when she was being sprayed by automatic fire from the two-dozen others?

I am kinda surprised they didn’t have the cannon hidden under the "you can't future-see what's in here" material they introduced earlier this episode. It gave that scene a kinda bad "either this is really contrived or they're spoiling that this is all part of his plan" when he didn't just vaporize the truck first.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

For whoever it was (or multiple people) saying it's silly that he didnt kill all the Klansman/ stop the tachyon beam it should have been easy for him, after all he he wiped out the VC etc. It's likely because he know he has to be hit by the beam, he needs to not kill all the Klansman and get captured because all of that leads to something we can't see yet and his capture leads to something that (hopefully) pays off. Maybe it'll lead to that Utopia Veidt wanted in the first place, who knows? But likely there's some sort of happy end that comes as a result of his death. Plus honestly I think he kinda hates his existence and wouldnt mind a future where he's not in it.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

blue squares posted:

Why do people who hate this show watch it and post about it every week?

It's called Hatewatching.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I'm still likewatching it

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I'm disappointed that this super hero show wound up being a super hero show with a time travel twist instead of solving race relations in america.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

badjohny posted:

So this episode confirmed the theory that Veidt's story is taking place before the rest of the story. The Dr put him in paradise right before he put in the memory chip. That was 10 years before the current story. The cakes that Veidt gets to celebrate his anniversary have not counted up to 10 yet. I think the one in this episode was only 6 or 7 candles. That gives him a few years to dig his way out, find a way to get back to earth, and crash land in the lady's field.

Oh duh. I had just been assuming they'd been giving him a cake every day cause they're worshiping him. That makes so much more sense, and is hilarious.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
It certainly does feel like they have a lot to wrap up in a 67 minute episode next week which does make me a bit worried.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Weedle posted:

With Laurie and whoever he finds to replace Angela after she gets old in like 2045 or whatever, and whoever he finds to replace that woman, and so on and so on. Dr. Manhattan is chasing that young tail throughout time and space.

Tbh Angela is already older than when Jon left Janie. Like, probably by close to a decade.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Only part I really hated was Angela telling Hooded Justice everything by way of Dr. Manhattan time fuckery. Felt extremely unnatural, and I hate that kind of poo poo. Overall though I think it did well trying to represents Dr. M's sense of seeing time and how his fate is predetermined.

I really don't know how all this wraps up in one more episode though, especially because the last few episodes have been somewhat slow and singularly focused. Now it's time to bring the entire cast back in.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Weedle posted:

Yeah, that's kind of his thing. He dumped his first wife for Laurie when she was in her teens, right?

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Due to the way Dr Manhattan experiences time he's in love with every woman he's every loved always. So he's poly, duh.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Nail Rat posted:

Tbh Angela is already older than when Jon left Janie. Like, probably by close to a decade.

How old was Angela when she met with Dr. Manhattan? She must have been 10 when her parents were killed, and she did say that it happened "22 years ago" during the bar scene, so early 30s?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Based on this week’s Peteypedia entries, do we need to call Lube-Man SPF-666-Man now?

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Why does an ageless, omnipresent being, for whom time is a flat circle or whatever, like women in the 16-35 yo women demographic.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I feel like we missed an extra trippy trick by not having the Will/Manhattan scene in the Angela nostalgia trip.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Forceholy posted:

How old was Angela when she met with Dr. Manhattan? She must have been 10 when her parents were killed, and she did say that it happened "22 years ago" during the bar scene, so early 30s?

She was born in 1976 per Peteypedia, she was 10 when her parents were killed, 32 in the bar scene and 43 in 2019 (just going by the years at least).

Jon and Janey were both like like 30 when they met and late 30s when he met Laurie.

Edit: yeah she was 33 in 1966 when he met Laurie. So Angela is well past her prime by his reckoning.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Dec 9, 2019

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Xanderkish posted:

Why does an ageless, omnipresent being, for whom time is a flat circle or whatever, like women in the 16-35 yo women demographic.

It's been shown he has maintained some humanity and part of that is he still has a sex drive, and if you were an immortal being would you sleep with 60 year old women or those in their prime?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Szmitten posted:

I feel like we missed an extra trippy trick by not having the Will/Manhattan scene in the Angela nostalgia trip.

Musta been the one nostalgia pill he took back in Episode 2.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Last night gave us the origin of why Jon is always feeling horny from his peeping Tom days

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Check out PeteyPedia files for that Lube Man origin story I know you’re all craving.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Just Chamber posted:

It's been shown he has maintained some humanity and part of that is he still has a sex drive, and if you were an immortal being would you sleep with 60 year old women or those in their prime?

They have the same number of molecules though :shrug:

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Nevermind. So they're making Manhattan's line be a retcon quote. Gross.

Bushido Brown fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Dec 9, 2019

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Definitely not understanding this influx of “uh it’s a superhero show it’s just supposed to be dumb fun” takes when the whole appeal of Watchmen was that it’s maybe the only capeman story ever that’s somewhat smart about social issues.

Anyways rip to everyone who insisted that the twist at the end of episode 7 wasn’t the stupidest poo poo in the world.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pirate Jet posted:

Definitely not understanding this influx of “uh it’s a superhero show it’s just supposed to be dumb fun” takes when the whole appeal of Watchmen was that it’s maybe the only capeman story ever that’s somewhat smart about social issues.

Anyways rip to everyone who insisted that the twist at the end of episode 7 wasn’t the stupidest poo poo in the world.

Yeah it's really dumb. I really hope when all is said and done the series actually has something substantial to say. So far it seems to understand that Watchmen is an inherently political story/setting, and has tried to introduce political elements, but has done nothing substantial with it.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

Pirate Jet posted:

I want to hear more about your learned take about how Watchmen’s living god’s decision to live as a Black man with amnesia for a decade at the site of one of the most notorious racial massacres in U.S. history has no social commentary issues.

Anyway, I have a compromise for Keene: he can go live on Europa and be King of a planet of only White people. No race mixing there! Also, everyone’s a moron, but he’s used to that already.

Fish gotta swim, birds gotta fly, Manhattans gotta explode Rorschach heads till he dies...

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
The first masked vigilante was a gay black man whose origin story was the Tulsa Massacre and disguised himself as a white man because he knew the racist world wouldnt accept him otherwise. He discovers the police is a secret KKK surrogate attempting to brainwash African Americans into killing each other. His grandaughter relives this and now carries his racial trauma with her for the rest of her life.

When is this show gunna make a damm point? Ugh.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

knowing the exact moment you fall in love with someone, but not having any clue to the why or the reason they love you back is the one good time travel story. it's... mundane, I suppose, in the best way possible.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
I'm glad they're not making a second season. One was too much. The wacky Veidt stuff remains great however. That and the soundtrack are the only things that aren't absolutely dogshit.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Captain Splendid posted:

They have the same number of molecules though :shrug:

Guess we're lucky he didn't gently caress a particularly sexy corpse, then.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Pirate Jet posted:

When I think "Dumb fun", I definitely think of an hour long conversation about love, choice, and fate.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Anyway everyone is pointing out that there's a ton left to do in the finale so maybe hold off on takes that the show blew it because the penultimate episode didn't give them what they wanted.

Nervous they won't stick the landing but the show has been so good I'm confident in them. This episode seems like it's going to stand out on a re-watch when I'm not spending the whole time stressing out about how much is left to do as the runtime dwindles down.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Guys if nothing else this show gave us the excellent HJ & LG episodes as the icing on top of the DOTY 2019 cake.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

doc also knows sister night won't run from the life they've built together. now, later or previously nothing will change the fact she's willing to kill every muthafuck who gets in their way or die trying.

he can rearrange every molecule in her body. he can send her across the universe. whatever he does, that bad bitch is coming back to tulsa with a gun.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Tender Bender posted:

When I think "Dumb fun", I definitely think of an hour long conversation about love, choice, and fate.

That whole episode was giving me serious Arrival vibes and I bet a lot of that was at least semi-intentional.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

beanieson posted:

Guys if nothing else this show gave us the excellent HJ & LG episodes as the icing on top of the DOTY 2019 cake.

the dong to episode ratio was real high too, that's no mean feat in a male heavy fanbase

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Still waiting for them to square the story with Dr. Manhattan's statement he was leaving the galaxy, but instead he just goes to Europa and then inexplicably comes back to Earth.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Inexplicably? Come on, that's being unfair. He came back because

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

Still waiting for them to square the story with Dr. Manhattan's statement he was leaving the galaxy, but instead he just goes to Europa and then inexplicably comes back to Earth.

He explains exactly why he comes back to earth, in the episode. He created life from scratch and it was boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nail Rat posted:

The surprise ending of Doomsday Clock is going to be that Superman punches Manhattan so hard he ends back in his universe in Europa.