Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Is there anything glaringly bad with the current Tucson? My friend that has been shopping for a while thinks it's what she wants to go with. I'm trying to talk her into the Sport trim since the upgraded headlights are better than on the lower trims, but she's trying to avoid leather and of course they wrapped the wheel and shift knob on that level. I hate how manufacturers do trim levels. There are several models that she's been interested in that are a complete non-starter because of how things are packaged with leather thrown in at certain option levels or the lack of a non-leather alternative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Good luck with that - stuff like the BMW i3 aside (I.e. a car that makes the point of being eco friendly) you’re going to get bits of leather in anything above the very base model of most cars.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I say we mandate the availability of wool-upholstery interiors like the Toyota Century.

Apparently it’s just amazing to actually drive in one.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

dissss posted:

Good luck with that - stuff like the BMW i3 aside (I.e. a car that makes the point of being eco friendly) you’re going to get bits of leather in anything above the very base model of most cars.

I think she can live with some leather accents but would obviously prefer none at all. In this case I'm definitely trying to steer her towards that trim level since the IIHS says the LED headlights are significantly better than the halogens on the next trim level down.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

That's one thing I was really happy about with the new Explorer I got, not having totally leather seats.

It has suede inserts in the part you sit on. Way more comfy and I wish more companies would offer something like that. Or at least more leather alternatives.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

fknlo posted:

Is there anything glaringly bad with the current Tucson? My friend that has been shopping for a while thinks it's what she wants to go with. I'm trying to talk her into the Sport trim since the upgraded headlights are better than on the lower trims, but she's trying to avoid leather and of course they wrapped the wheel and shift knob on that level. I hate how manufacturers do trim levels. There are several models that she's been interested in that are a complete non-starter because of how things are packaged with leather thrown in at certain option levels or the lack of a non-leather alternative.

Is she avoiding it our of an aversion to the surface/texture or due to the whole morality of it? If the latter... MB-Tex...? I'd rather have a low miles 1-owner or CPO GLC over a new Tucson any day all day.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ExplodingSims posted:

That's one thing I was really happy about with the new Explorer I got, not having totally leather seats.

It has suede inserts in the part you sit on. Way more comfy and I wish more companies would offer something like that. Or at least more leather alternatives.

Suede is literally inside-out leather. Do you mean Alcantara?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KillHour posted:

Suede is literally inside-out leather. Do you mean Alcantara?

I was recently told a story by someone who worked in a shoe shop. A lady comes in and says she can't buy leather shoes because she's vegan, picks up some suede ones that she likes only to be told that suede is indeed still the remains of an animal. She didn't know. She still buys them.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

fknlo posted:

Get the non-turbo and regular automatic and she'll have a pretty reliable vehicle. The DCT and turbo are problematic, a little less than what Ford is experiencing, but still problematic.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tremek posted:

Is she avoiding it our of an aversion to the surface/texture or due to the whole morality of it? If the latter... MB-Tex...? I'd rather have a low miles 1-owner or CPO GLC over a new Tucson any day all day.

Morality. She's looked at some options from both BMW and MB. Her best friend drives a GLC and I think she doesn't want the same thing. She loved the X1 but had some stuff come up where she stopped shopping and I guess she's just not all that interested now. I know the price on the luxury stuff is a thing even though she can easily afford it.

Goober Peas posted:

Get the non-turbo and regular automatic and she'll have a pretty reliable vehicle. The DCT and turbo are problematic, a little less than what Ford is experiencing, but still problematic.

I think they've gone with a regular 6 speed auto with both engine options now. The trims she's looking at have the 2.4.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Could she just buy the lower trim and then do an aftermarket but OEM headlight upgrade with the higher trim LEDs?

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

fknlo posted:

Is there anything glaringly bad with the current Tucson? My friend that has been shopping for a while thinks it's what she wants to go with. I'm trying to talk her into the Sport trim since the upgraded headlights are better than on the lower trims, but she's trying to avoid leather and of course they wrapped the wheel and shift knob on that level.
My father in law just bought a 2019 Toyota Rav4 XLE, which has cloth seats and a urethane steering wheel. It's otherwise nicely equipped with LED headlights, heated seats, and a power liftgate. I drove it and it was a pleasant enough experience.

Bonus points for having port injection and an automatic transmission with actual gears.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

tangy yet delightful posted:

Could she just buy the lower trim and then do an aftermarket but OEM headlight upgrade with the higher trim LEDs?
No clue, but she's not the kind of person that would go that route anyway.

TheGoatTrick posted:

My father in law just bought a 2019 Toyota Rav4 XLE, which has cloth seats and a urethane steering wheel. It's otherwise nicely equipped with LED headlights, heated seats, and a power liftgate. I drove it and it was a pleasant enough experience.

Bonus points for having port injection and an automatic transmission with actual gears.

She does not like the RAV4. When they announced the plug in hybrid I told her that I thought it would basically be perfect for her but she's not at all interested in it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think the solution here is to get new lighting regulations passed so that we can:

a) All enjoy better safety, no matter the trim level.
b) Actually allow new technology like Audi's matrix lights which are vastly superior and safer, but sadly illegal in the US.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i know LED lights are somewhat better but it's not like traditional halogens are unsafe

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i know LED lights are somewhat better but it's not like traditional halogens are unsafe

Yeah, I'm sure they'd be fine for her. The only reason I brought it up to her is that the IIHS says there's a pretty decent difference and has a lower rating for the trims without them. I think she's probably just going to go with the highest trim without them though.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

fknlo posted:

No clue, but she's not the kind of person that would go that route anyway.

She does not like the RAV4. When they announced the plug in hybrid I told her that I thought it would basically be perfect for her but she's not at all interested in it.

I tried talking my wife into a hybrid because she drives 70+ miles a day but she hates them and couldn't be less interested.

She loves V8 sedans which is great, but god drat the fuel costs.

She seems to like Teslas tho so maybe full EV is in the cards for her next car.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

bull3964 posted:

I think the solution here is to get new lighting regulations passed so that we can:

a) All enjoy better safety, no matter the trim level.

Would be cool to do this by setting a maximum brightness level for headlights so that I'm not driving past endless rows of stadium floodlights..

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Grakkus posted:

Would be cool to do this by setting a maximum brightness level for headlights so that I'm not driving past endless rows of stadium floodlights..

If we actually had lighting standards that were written this century, this would be a complete non-issue since manufacturers would be able to develop systems that could greatly reduce glare.

Both Audi and BMW have systems right now that intelligently mask out other vehicles from being illuminated by the headlights, but they are illegal in the US because they aren't standard Low/High beam lights.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 10, 2019

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

bull3964 posted:

If we actually had lighting standards that were written this century, this would be a complete non-issue since manufacturers would be able to develop systems that could greatly reduce glare.

Both Audi and BMW have systems right now that intelligently mask out other vehicles from being illuminated by the headlights, but they are illegal in the US because they aren't standard Low/High beam lights.

Curious how much it is to fix those super cool systems once they inevitably break in new and creative ways that only those two companies can come up with. Sensor failure? Have fun in the dark.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

even the relatively basic self leveling headlights in my E39 are a huge pain to fix and break all the time

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm pretty sure that a sensor fault will just default them to standard high/low beams.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

I can actually code this on my M3. I need to get around to doing it, the people that have done it rave about it.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Why are Supras still $70k? Who is buying this poo poo?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Woof Blitzer posted:

Why are Supras still $70k? Who is buying this poo poo?

There was an article (on Jalopnik?) about how the people buying Supras literally aren't cross-shopping anything else. They want a Supra and it's not a decision based on carefully considered information or comparisons. They ONLY want a Supra and the question just comes down to if they can afford it or not.

See also: Nissan GT-R

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

It's an iconic car with almost 20 years of pent up demand for a new one. It's also, by all reports, a really well sorted sports car.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i finally saw one IRL a few weeks ago and boy does it look like poo poo. i'm hopelessly biased though and i hated the mkiv too.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

What car would you guys get instead of a Supra on that same budget?
For the sake of apples to apples let’s assume it’s new not used.

I’d like to know because I’m not sure what better cars out there would drive so much supra hate. I quite like it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
not that i'd actually spend 70k on a car but the M2C is clearly better and comes with a stick, as God intended

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Kraftwerk posted:

I’d like to know because I’m not sure what better cars out there would drive so much supra hate. I quite like it.

The nicest 911 I could find for the money.

[e] oh new?......Probably a C8. I saw a Supra in person and it actually looks really good imo, but would still rather have the C8.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 10, 2019

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Kraftwerk posted:

Cayman or M2 new, 911 used. Or a Corvette if that's your thing.

I don't hate the Supra, and I certainly haven't driven one, but it seems like a hard sell if you don't particularly care about it being a Supra.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

PeterWeller posted:

It's an iconic car with almost 20 years of pent up demand for a new one. It's also, by all reports, a really well sorted sports car.

Well, no, not by all reports:

https://www.thedrive.com/news/31031/is-the-2020-toyota-supra-broken-straight-from-the-factory

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2019-best-drivers-car-rankings/

https://www.motortrend.com/news/whats-the-deal-with-toyota-supra/

It's last in MT's rankings above for reasons as they detail:

MotorTrend posted:

Driven to the limit, the Supra's rear suspension couldn't cope with 198's rough asphalt, braking-zone undulations, and midcorner bump-steer moments. Under such duress, the Supra felt nervous and unsettled—always trying to regain its footing rather than preparing for the next corner. Those rear-end oscillations made the steering twitchy and nervous. Even pro racer Randy Pobst had a "moment" on 198, which really tells you something.

[[...]]

Foul play between tests? None we could find. We tested the same M2 both times. The Supras were different, but after 198, when we worried there might be something wrong with the BDC Supra, we sent it to a dealer. The dealer found no mechanical or alignment issues, which some judges were certain existed.

With a clean bill of health, we put the Supra on the nice, smooth Laguna Seca, and suddenly the old Supra, the comparison winner, was back. We can only conclude, then, that the new Supra is particularly susceptible to large bumps in the braking zone and midcorner, and it took a road like 198 to expose this nasty shortcoming.

So it appears that there are some unflattering traits, and it's unfortunate and maybe a little scary that it only shows up in handling when driven hard.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Kraftwerk posted:

I'd be looking at stuff like the F-Type, Boxster/Cayman, 4C Spider maybe, but I do like the Supra so it'd probably come down to whichever is most fun to drive. If I was in Europe I'd probably just buy an A110.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Kraftwerk posted:

I like the new Supra, especially that it's really small in person, but if I was shopping in that price range, I'd be hard pressed not to get a GT350 and its amazing sounding engine.

E:

Tremek posted:

Well, no, not by all reports:

https://www.thedrive.com/news/31031/is-the-2020-toyota-supra-broken-straight-from-the-factory

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2019-best-drivers-car-rankings/

https://www.motortrend.com/news/whats-the-deal-with-toyota-supra/

It's last in MT's rankings above for reasons as they detail:

So it appears that there are some unflattering traits, and it's unfortunate and maybe a little scary that it only shows up in handling when driven hard.

Oh I stand corrected.

PeterWeller fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 10, 2019

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

It's a bummer. We may have the new Cars & Coffee chief murder machine in the making.

Jason Cammisa (who I think is a legit auto journo with well-considered opinions) was pretty negative about it too:

Cammisa on Instagram posted:

PCOTY Verdict: Toyota Supra — it’s broken. Possibly this car, or the whole project, idk?⁣⁣
⁣⁣
This is a Half-Verdict, really, from @RoadandTrack Performance Car of the Year testing. I drove it on-road for only a few miles, since we eliminated it after the track session. ⁣⁣
⁣⁣
(It tied for dead last by the combined R&T crew. Not one editor or contributor voted it through to the street portion of the test. Remember that before crucifying me in the comments.)⁣⁣
⁣⁣
The car was so ill-behaved on track that I honestly thought something was broken. In a convo with a journalist from a competing magazine, though, he described exactly the same behavior during a test with a different Supra. They brought theirs to the dealer to be checked out. It was apparently fine. ⁣⁣
⁣⁣
I’m conflicted. The early reports were so good, and this car was so… not.⁣⁣
⁣⁣
Front-end precision is great. Brakes are strong and consistent (a surprise given some other BMWs with this hardware.) The engine’s thrust is unending. ⁣⁣
⁣⁣
But this is the kind of “sports car” that is everything a sports car shouldn’t be. It has the speed and grip, but no finesse. ⁣⁣
⁣⁣
There’s an abrupt steering-ratio change at around 30º off-center, with no commensurate change in weight. In fact, the change itself isn’t consistent, so it feels like bushing deflection. Never the same twice.⁣⁣
⁣⁣
Lots of body motions, but unlike the floppy Miata, everything upsets this car. It’s twitchy AF, continually kicking out the tail, especially when you don’t want it to. To call it “uncontrollable” is perhaps a stretch, but it’s a nightmare at the limit. ⁣⁣
⁣⁣
Synthetic soundtrack is so painfully obvious that it's insulting.⁣⁣
⁣⁣
Speaking of painful, everyone smashes his head on the roofline the first (and second, and third) time they get in this car. Such is the price we pay for beaut<ahem>. Nevermind.⁣⁣
⁣⁣
There is no joy here. Speed, yes. Imposing looks, sure. But no joy. ⁣⁣
⁣⁣

RDF-blinded diehards won't care but then again I suspect many of them won't be driving the car hard either, and/or will switch out of it as soon as it scares them a few times.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Tremek posted:

They built a Penske PC-26, nice

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Kraftwerk posted:

i think you can buy a 4c for that money so I'd do that

i would not buy a brand new sports car though

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Kraftwerk posted:

I'd buy a GT500 long before a new Supra. Or a vette. Or a Lexus RC-F, or...Hell, I'd buy a performance model 3 before a new supra. Or really just about anything.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 10, 2019

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

A C7 z06 can be had for $60k. Or a ZL1 1LE. Or a C6 ZR1. Or a C7 z51 Grand Sport that’s probably new. Or a 997 Turbo which is nowhere near as competitive as the above cars but is still a pcar. Or a GT-R. Or a GT350 as previously mentioned. Or a Hellcat Widebody. Or (and this might be a stretch at $60k, but in-the-$60s) an AMG GT.

I dare say the Supra is outclassed by literally every car on this list. In a few years depreciation will make it more competitive relative to its used value but for now that’s a tough vanity pill to swallow for a gussied-up Z4 which in its previous generations wasn’t ever a class-competitive sports car, even if the current gen is a step forward.

E: which btw lends to my hypothesis that the reason Supra buyers aren’t cross-shopping anything else is because only the extremely narrow Supra-demo buyers are willfully blind to its defects whereas nearly anyone else that wants a competitive car will buy something else. Let’s not forget it’s a badge-engineered BMW with sloppily-applied Toyota lipstick, which carries about as much prestige as clown makeup from the dollar store

Tremek fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Tremek posted:

Let’s not forget it’s a badge-engineered BMW with sloppily-applied Toyota lipstick, which carries about as much prestige as clown makeup from the dollar store

:boom: