Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Wylie posted:

Is it Gaetz? I bet it's Gaetz.

It was Collins. It seems their narrative today is no longer "Where's the whistleblower?" but rather "Where's Schiff?"

It's been pointed out before, but I find the role calls amusing since the democrat side has people of all types, and then the GOP side is Angry Old Guy, Angry Old Guy, Angry Old Guy, Angry Jim Jordan, Racin' Matt Gaetz, Angry Old Guy...

Velocity Raptor fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ManBoyChef posted:

Gaetz really bothers the hell out of me. He is such an entitled little bastard.

This is what happens when you* let rich stupid WASPs get away with DUIs.

*referring to America in general

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

ManBoyChef posted:

Gaetz really bothers the hell out of me. He is such an entitled little bastard.

His father was heavily in Florida politics for decades and basically engineered for him to get the seat. He has several DUI stops that have magically disappeared over the years. From talking to people who grew up around him there is a lot of things that he has done that got swept under the rug because of his daddy.

Also it is pretty much an open secret that he has a big drug and alcohol problem.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Velocity Raptor posted:

It's been pointed out before, but I find the role calls amusing since the democrat side has people of all types, and then the GOP side is Angry Old Guy, Angry Old Guy, Angry Old Guy, Angry Jim Jordan, Racin' Matt Gaetz, Angry Old Guy...

And two women who want to speak to your manager.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
uh oh because ukranians said mean things about papa trump that's interference! what the gently caress

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I have a special rule - whenever a republican says "Chalupa" i immediately disregard everything they have said up to that point and mute/turn them off. It's a useful sort of reverse-dogwhistle that tells me I can tune out because this person knows they are lying and spreading bullshit if they say Chalupa

I hear out and listen to ones that do not say Chalupa

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Is anyone listening to this stuff from Castor? I'm not sure how doubling down on conspiracy theories and "well Hunter Biden SHOULD have been investigated!" are supposed to be convincing arguments. Then again this process has basically been Republicans inventing their position whole cloth.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

idiotsavant posted:

Is anyone listening to this stuff from Castor? I'm not sure how doubling down on conspiracy theories and "well Hunter Biden SHOULD have been investigated!" are supposed to be convincing arguments. Then again this process has basically been Republicans inventing their position whole cloth.

https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1204083799501557760?s=20

yeah its all garbage

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

idiotsavant posted:

Probably not. It's baffling that they chose to move forward with him as their testifying counsel considering his performance weeks ago. This is extremely boring coupled with the testimony occuring during lunch hour for the east coast.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

kaworu posted:

I have a special rule - whenever a republican says "Chalupa" i immediately disregard everything they have said up to that point and mute/turn them off. It's a useful sort of reverse-dogwhistle that tells me I can tune out because this person knows they are lying and spreading bullshit if they say Chalupa

I have a special rule where if they say Chalupa I have Taco Bell for dinner. I've been having a lot of chalupas recently.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

saltylopez posted:

Probably not. It's baffling that they chose to move forward with him as their testifying counsel considering his performance weeks ago. This is extremely boring coupled with the testimony occuring during lunch hour for the east coast.

I kinda think thats their strategy, Toby lays out how boring the Dem's attacks are, everyone sleeps through the impeachment vote, Trump Magas for 4 more years bing bang bing

e:
from the NYTimes tviv:

Catie EdmondsonCongressional Correspondent
It’s much harder to stay rhetorically angry and on offense for 45 minutes straight than it is to kind of meander and generally muddy the waters in the way that Castor is currently doing.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

kaworu posted:

Honestly, I still don't know what the gently caress a chalupa is in this context.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Castor could start reading the service manual from a washing machine right now and nobody would notice.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Literally Kermit posted:

Honestly, I still don't know what the gently caress a chalupa is in this context.

Alexandra Chalupa is DNC worker in Ukraine. I *believe* she worked with Steele on the Steele Dossier

https://heavy.com/news/2019/10/alexandra-chalupa/

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

idiotsavant posted:

The fact he is bringing up hunter biden and that legal corruption shows that he has nothing. There is no way for him to excuse Trump's actions.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

SalTheBard posted:

Alexandra Chalupa is DNC worker in Ukraine. I *believe* she worked with Steele on the Steele Dossier

https://heavy.com/news/2019/10/alexandra-chalupa/

there's also her sister, andrea, who's a journalist focusing on ukraine and these same issues (iirc, they're of ukrainian descent). republicans tend to get confused which A. Chalupa is the enemy

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

idiotsavant posted:

It is worth reiterating that the Republicans aren't in fact creating this narrative out of whole cloth, it is literally the case that it was Russia who created this narrative out of whole cloth, as part of their efforts to undermine US elections. And now Republicans are using this Russian disinformation as their defence of the President.

US Foreign Policy
Jan 5, 2006

Things to liberate:
You
Your shit

ManBoyChef posted:

The fact he is bringing up hunter biden and that legal corruption shows that he has nothing. There is no way for him to excuse Trump's actions.

So I know it's a conspiracy theory and meaningless but Even if everything the GOP is saying about Hunter Biden was true wouldn't this all still be 100% an impeachable offense? Like, let's assume that big daddy Trump is just trying to stamp out corruption - having Giuliani go rogue instead of using the Department of Justice still seems like a crime all the same?

I mean, I know the GOP doesn't actually care and we shouldnt cede a rhetorical inch on this conspiracy nonsense, but I'd like at least someone to point out that it's a crime even within the Noble Giuliani documentary/expanded universe

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
lol Gohmert saying "you don't get to be a witness and a judge in the same case" with a "Where's Schiff?" sign right behind him

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

hahahah Castor being questioned about all of Trump's tweets about Biden

uhhhhhh I don't get on Twitter much

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
All these Republicans acting indignant, throwing their pens and rolling eyes.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

kaworu posted:

Why listen and hear them out at all

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

was this bullshit their plan when they made castor their only witness?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

CSPAN Caller posted:

What doesn't make sense to me is that Rudy made his name prosecuting mafia under complex federal charges and ought to be uniquely aware of how to hide his tracks and obscure his purpose. IIRC, as prosecutor, he often had to make fairly subtle connections between coded language on wiretaps, under cover testimony, and purchasing patterns to demonstrate bribery, extortion, etc. so you think he'd know what to avoid when soliciting foreign corruption.

If Trump had never talked directly with the Ukrainian President about Biden, and State had made more subtle policy actions on corruption ("We're going to stamp out corruption in the former Soviet states..and Ukraine is dragging their feet"), and Rudy had handled more of these talks solo and face-to-face, there wouldn't have been any whistleblower or direct evidence of abuse of power at all. Rudy ought to know this.

It's hard to explain Rudy's behavior. It's hard to explain this as merely incompetence or the onset of dementia because in many respects Rudy has engineered the worst case scenario for Trump.

He made his career out of the being the guy in charge of the team prosecuting mafia under complex federal (RICO) charges. IIRC he didn't do much of the actual groundwork.

quote:

Giuliani announced that his top priority as U.S. attorney was to defeat organized crime in New York, where the chiefs of the so-called “Five Families” lived and operated. He read Mob boss Joseph Bonanno’s 1983 memoir A Man of Honor, in which Bonanno described meetings with bosses of the other four families — Colombo, Gambino, Genovese and Lucchese — a national ruling body referred to as “the Commission.” The Commission, going back to 1931, met secretly to settle differences, consider new members, approve murders and dole out money earned through racketeering. Giuliani received permission from Washington to pursue a case against the Commission. By 1984, 350 FBI agents and 100 New York Police detectives were investigating the Mob.

He argued the case before a federal grand jury and in February 1985 obtained indictments against a laundry list of New York’s Mob leaders and their lieutenants: Bonanno family boss Phil Rastelli and capo Anthony Indelicato; Colombo boss Carmine Persico and member Ralph Scopo; Gambino boss Paul Castellano; Genovese boss Anthony Salerno and member Gennaro Langella; Lucchese boss Anthony Corallo, underboss Salvatore Santoro and consigliere Christopher Furnari. Soon afterward, Castellano was shot and killed outside a restaurant in Manhattan and Rastelli was tried in a separate RICO case.

Giuliani assigned federal prosecutor Michael Chertoff to take the Commission case to trial. The government called 207 witnesses. Giuliani arranged for his star witnesses, Cleveland Mob underboss Angelo Lonardo, to testify, then the highest-ranking mobster to agree to serve as a witness. The case brought to light the Concrete Club, a scheme where Castellano and other mobsters demanded and received kickbacks on the cost of cement for building projects in New York in exchange for peace from Mob-controlled labor unions. In November 1986, the mobster defendants – including family leaders Salerno, Persico and Corallo – were convicted in the 21-count indictment and made to serve sentences of 40 to 100 years in prison, a crippling blow to the decades-old New York Mafia.

Between aging, his drinking problem and hitting his head in a fall in 2016, yeah.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Lol at all of this

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

US Foreign Policy posted:

So I know it's a conspiracy theory and meaningless but Even if everything the GOP is saying about Hunter Biden was true wouldn't this all still be 100% an impeachable offense? Like, let's assume that big daddy Trump is just trying to stamp out corruption - having Giuliani go rogue instead of using the Department of Justice still seems like a crime all the same?

I mean, I know the GOP doesn't actually care and we shouldnt cede a rhetorical inch on this conspiracy nonsense, but I'd like at least someone to point out that it's a crime even within the Noble Giuliani documentary/expanded universe

Absolutely right. If Trump was actually convinced that Hunter Biden was up to something criminal, there are established agencies and protocols for dealing with it. Leaning on Ukraine's President the way he did is impeachable abuse of power regardless.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

"It's ambiguous" holy poo poo I'm dying

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

hqahahaha this rules

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

this is legitimately great and I wish we'd gotten here sooner, he's making Castor look like a fool

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1204098559534088192

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

Katie Rogers White House Correspondent posted:

Speaking of working on stories, just popping in to give the current scene at the White House, where the impeachment hearing is playing on mute in the press secretary’s office — even if it’s playing on four different screens. To give you an idea of where the other players are: There’s a war-room style setup in the Eisenhower Executive Office Building, where a rapid response team full of strategists, researchers and lawyers are publishing out some of the cable-ready talking points we are currently seeing from the White House. And the president is currently at work — “He’s presidenting,” as one official put it when I asked what he was up to.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

eke out posted:

this is legitimately great and I wish we'd gotten here sooner, he's making Castor look like a fool

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1204098559534088192

This guy gives me serious Rick Moranis vibes.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

hahahahahahahaha holy poo poo

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Castor's face is all "wow I do not like this at all"

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
Gaetz should drink less before work if he wants to see straight.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

They are totally drowning

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the smartest thing the GOP has done all these proceedings is realize how hosed they are from this and desperately try to interrupt

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

This is some baby whining bullshit from the minority

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
LOL, my wife just asked if they get stoppage time like in soccer. They really should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Solkanar512 posted:

LOL, my wife just asked if they get stoppage time like in soccer. They really should.

they should be stopping the clock for these but i can't tell if they are