Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Tax implications of an 8 digit gift?

:perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Baka Waifu Moments: My girlfriend hates tentacles

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

Dik Hz posted:

Most people don't live somewhere they can walk out their front door and run 9 miles safely.

:rolleyes:

It's not like the option is buy a peloton or go biking outside where you can get hit by a car.

Instead of buying a bike that costs a $100 a month he could have bought a stationary bike that costs $100-200 total.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I've started to notice third party financing options for items that really shouldn't be financed. Is this a new thing?

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

MomJeans420 posted:

I've started to notice third party financing options for items that really shouldn't be financed. Is this a new thing?

That's it, I can't take it any more, this is the

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

BMan posted:

That's it, I can't take it any more, this is the

Product that sucks!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

MomJeans420 posted:

....what the hell is this thing made of that the retail price is $30

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

MomJeans420 posted:

Yeah, afterpay. Frankly it kind of confuses me because I'm not sure how this is different from a credit card, but yeah, you can micro-finance really dumb poo poo now apparently

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Apparently this afterpay thing doesn't charge interest (until you gently caress up and miss a payment)

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Yeah you can get financing on anything from motorcycle jackets to scuba wetsuit these days

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Someone LMK when the interest rate at the sperm bank is up to 5% so I can move my savings over there.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Cacafuego posted:

Someone LMK when the interest rate at the sperm bank is up to 5% so I can move my savings over there.

You need to seize the means of production first.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Cacafuego posted:

Sorry, there's never going to be a high interest rate for you at the sperm bank

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Cacafuego posted:

Just get married, you'll enjoy 7 years & then ARM

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

OctaMurk posted:

Yeah you can get financing on anything from motorcycle jackets to scuba wetsuit these days

Do retailers still have layaway? I know KMart had that when I worked there back in the 90s.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Bird in a Blender posted:

Do retailers still have layaway? I know KMart had that when I worked there back in the 90s.

Yep. Keep an eye on the news. Every Christmas there’s a feel good story about some rich person walking into Walmart and paying off all the layaways.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

gently caress

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Ebola Roulette posted:

:rolleyes:

It's not like the option is buy a peloton or go biking outside where you can get hit by a car.

Instead of buying a bike that costs a $100 a month he could have bought a stationary bike that costs $100-200 total.
I didn't realize that post would be so controversial. I was just trying to point out that the "go run; it's free." thing doesn't apply to everyone.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Ahh that makes sense the financing is 0% if you don't miss a payment, I was wondering if otherwise it's meant for people who have already maxed out their cards.

I'm BWM because I just bought one of those straws and it ended up being $40 with tax and shipping (it's a gift)

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

MomJeans420 posted:

I'm BWM because I just bought one of those straws and it ended up being $40 with tax and shipping (it's a gift)

Are you sure it's a gift and not a straw purchase?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Are you sure it's a gift and not a straw purchase?
You've had some gems lately. This one, not so much.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
They would've loved that one in TFR :argh:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I would make a joke about that joke sucking, but that's even worse

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

You could say it's the final straw.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
Nice strawman straw, man

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
when i was buying some bits for a new computer build i was shocked that you could finance like a two hundred dollar video card but in hindsight i don't know why

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
Are we all going to ignore the elephant in the room of the $30 straw prehensile trunk California suction cylinder?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

It does come with a bore brush, that's got to be worth something.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

MomJeans420 posted:

It does come with a bore brush, that's got to be worth something.

Does seem very BWM to be honest.

I just buy a box of 100 plastic straws for $2.

Much cheaper and you don't have to clean them after every use. Just throw them into the ocean when you're done.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Shut up Meg posted:

Does seem very BWM to be honest.

I just buy a box of 100 plastic straws for $2.

Much cheaper and you don't have to clean them after every use. Just throw them into the ocean when you're done.
Love your new avatar.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

:drat:

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

:pusheen:

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yep. Keep an eye on the news. Every Christmas there’s a feel good story about some rich person walking into Walmart and paying off all the layaways.

NFL star Khalil Mack pays off 300 holiday layaway accounts at a Walmart in his hometown

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
If you're getting a straw on buy-now-pay-later, you may as well get something to use it with!

quote:

Paying for food and drink on a night out could soon be a thing of the past, with a WA club revealing it wants to be the first hospitality business to introduce Afterpay for patrons.

Bar1 Nightclub at Hillarys plans on introducing Afterpay for punters to buy a drink as early as February next year.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

howdoesishotweb posted:

Are we all going to ignore the elephant in the room of the $30 straw prehensile trunk California suction cylinder?

Hoes mad cuz we don’t want turtles eating that poo poo

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Dik Hz posted:

Love your new avatar.

Thank you.

BWM is the poster I apparently pissed off enough to buy me an insulting avatar, but couldn't think of an image or a single rude thing to use as a title, so left everything blank - so only causing mild puzzlement.

Still, it means we chucked $15 into lowtax's adult diapers fund to help keep these forums going, so maybe it's GWM afterall.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

SpelledBackwards posted:

I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.

Gotta run a credit report for that hamburger first though. You wanna eat here, gotta at least be at 700.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm willing to bet tip the thread in scratch tickets that there is a non-zero number of people that put all kinds of expensive poo poo on layaway in December in the off chance that someone does this at their local wal-mart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

BloodBag posted:

I'm willing to bet tip the thread in scratch tickets that there is a non-zero number of people that put all kinds of expensive poo poo on layaway in December in the off chance that someone does this at their local wal-mart.

Because I was curious:

quote:

Cancellation - If the account is closed or canceled, items will be returned to inventory. Down payment and payments made will be refunded, less $20 or $20%, whichever is greater. The cancellation fee does not apply in Ohio, Maryland, Rhode Island, or Washington DC. Cancellation fee in AL will not exceed $25. Cancellation fee in NC will not exceed $50

Oof.