Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

bobjr posted:

When you’re on the phone and need to record information and someone is bugging you about who you’re talking to, and if you do tell them and possibly miss something they go “oh” and walk away.

Related to this, if you got a customer service job and you have to call someone else to verify information or get permission to break some standard rule. Then while you are talking to said person and trying to fill them in, the customer talks loudly at you, telling you stuff that you should say and trying to correct you the entire time. Which is really loving distracting and makes me way less inclined to go out of my way to help you.

"Sure I just got to call my boss and hear them out".

Ring-ding.

"Yeah, I have this fellow here who is adamant he would be able t- "DONT FORGET SOB STORY I TOLD YOU EARLIER", "ALSO IRRELEVANT INFORMATION THAT I HAVE SHOUTED AT YOU 5 TIMES ALREADY".

Boss: Ok, does the customer have X thing with him?

"No, he doesn't have X thing with hi- "I HAVE BEEN ALLOWED THIS SERVICE MANY TIMES BEFORE, WITHOUT X THING. SHEESH!".

Midig has a new favorite as of 12:52 on Dec 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
When you're on the phone with customer service and they give you a URL to go to or something to enter into a form, you set down the phone to type, and they just KEEP loving TALKING. I can't hear you! How many hands do you think I have? Have you ever seen a keyboard before?

Dip Viscous has a new favorite as of 14:43 on Dec 9, 2019

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

yeah I eat rear end posted:

When your boss "asks" if you can do something. Just tell me I have to do it. You know I don't want to do it. Just order me to do it, we don't need to do this facade where I pretend that I don't mind doing it.

Simple solution: respond to what they said, not what they mean. Did this when I was working in a bingo hall during the summer holidays at college one year. Someone asked if I want to help behind the bar, I said not really, he said "Oh," and wandered off. Later a manager asked why I'd refused to work behind the bar, I just said "I didn't refuse. Someone asked if I wanted to do it, I didn't want to, they left." The manager then said "Uh, ok," and left it at that.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Lotion Tester posted:

When you're on the phone with customer service and they give you a URL to go to or something to enter into a form, you set down the phone to type, and they just KEEP loving TALKING. I can't hear you! How many hands do you think I have? Have you ever seen a keyboard before?

are you using a handset phone exclusively? do you not know that speaker phone exists? I literally don't understand your problem.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Or balance the receiver on your shoulder (if it's a landline). :confused: I don't think I've ever had to set a phone down to type or write anything.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
There's too much background noise for them to understand me over speakerphone. Buying a headset would work... or they could just hold on for a second when I ask them to please hold on for a second.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Lotion Tester posted:

There's too much background noise for them to understand me over speakerphone. Buying a headset would work... or they could just hold on for a second when I ask them to please hold on for a second.

Sorry friend, call times have to be under a certain maximum standard and there are lines that must be said.

e: seriously this is one of the times where asking for a manager is genuinely good, because you save yourself and the schmuck at the call centre time and energy. The manager can actually break the script and just handle your poo poo in a way that works for both of you, and the schmuck can get back to telling grandmas to turn it off and back on again with exactly three two-minute bathroom breaks and one half-hour lunch minus time walking to and from the break room and have you heard of the Comcast Customer Guarantee?

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 19:57 on Dec 9, 2019

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
It is pouring down with nasty cold "Wintry Mix" and the UPS guy just delivered my package. He did not just toss it or leave it on the steps - he came up the steps, rang the doorbell, and tucked the box between my front door and storm door to give it a bit of protection. When I opened the door he was already back at the truck, but he saw me and we exchanged waves before he drove off.

He did everything above and beyond compared to a lot of recent delivery people here, and I just wanted to brag on him to UPS for him just being awesomely courteous and helpful.

- But is there a form or a place to do that on the UPS website? NO.

- If you call Customer Service, is there a phone tree option that allows you to say something nice? NO.

- Can you select "agent" or "representative" and just relay the compliment to a real person? NO. You have to choose one of four options before they'll connect you, and none of them is remotely right.

- Can you find the number for the particular carrier facility where that route starts, so that you can brag to his direct chain of command? NO.

Dagnabbit, UPS, how are you ever going to know when your people excel?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Sunswipe posted:

Simple solution: respond to what they said, not what they mean. Did this when I was working in a bingo hall during the summer holidays at college one year. Someone asked if I want to help behind the bar, I said not really, he said "Oh," and wandered off. Later a manager asked why I'd refused to work behind the bar, I just said "I didn't refuse. Someone asked if I wanted to do it, I didn't want to, they left." The manager then said "Uh, ok," and left it at that.

but then they'll say you're not a "go-getter" or a "team player" at your annual review and you won't get your token raise that doesn't actually make any difference at all in your quality of life.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

TofuDiva posted:

They could not possibly care less. That's why there's no way to tell them. If you go to the trouble of telling them anyway, they will do absolutely nothing with that information.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
USPS is far more reliable than UPS and I have no evidence but strongly suspect that UPS chose that name to ape the actual postal service's reputation

e: poo poo I guess that also probably explains the private shipping company called Federal Express

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Tiggum posted:

If you go to the trouble of telling them anyway, they will do absolutely nothing with that information.

Or they will find a way to use it against the driver and get them in trouble for wasting time being courteous.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It seems like it’s a good thing to try to commend an employee but in reality it’s more like the eye of sauron turning it’s terrible gaze upon whatever soul you mistakenly brought attention to. Appreciate them on a personal level

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

UPS is union so they're not going to live or die based off of customer reviews.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

TofuDiva posted:

It is pouring down with nasty cold "Wintry Mix" and the UPS guy just delivered my package. He did not just toss it or leave it on the steps - he came up the steps, rang the doorbell, and tucked the box between my front door and storm door to give it a bit of protection. When I opened the door he was already back at the truck, but he saw me and we exchanged waves before he drove off.

He did everything above and beyond compared to a lot of recent delivery people here, and I just wanted to brag on him to UPS for him just being awesomely courteous and helpful.

- But is there a form or a place to do that on the UPS website? NO.

- If you call Customer Service, is there a phone tree option that allows you to say something nice? NO.

- Can you select "agent" or "representative" and just relay the compliment to a real person? NO. You have to choose one of four options before they'll connect you, and none of them is remotely right.

- Can you find the number for the particular carrier facility where that route starts, so that you can brag to his direct chain of command? NO.

Buddy they don’t even care when one of their drivers becomes a cop bullet sponge.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

When businesses don't keep their websites up to date. I went to a hairdresser today for no reason because their website said they were open till 19:00 but they actually closed at 17:00.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Bobby Digital posted:

Buddy they don’t even care when one of their drivers becomes a cop bullet sponge.
They're probably thankful they don't have to pay severance

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Man, this is depressing. I don't doubt the veracity of what y'all are saying, but :(

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

TofuDiva posted:

You have to know someone at UPS to get a phone number. They used to publish the center numbers in the phone book but now they just do 800-PICKUPS for every address.

I had to call a center the other day. The only way I got a number was to call my old UPS rep who was retired. He got me a phone number and then it was no trouble. I'd been fighting with the 800 for an hour to try to track down a package. All I needed them to do was message the driver on his DIAD (the scanning thing they use) but the 800 number people just kept whining at me about how they don't give out driver phone numbers. I kept saying "DIAD!!!!!" at them and they didn't even know what it is.

But hey, now I have a local center number.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

mostlygray posted:

You have to know someone at UPS to get a phone number. They used to publish the center numbers in the phone book but now they just do 800-PICKUPS for every address.

I had to call a center the other day. The only way I got a number was to call my old UPS rep who was retired. He got me a phone number and then it was no trouble. I'd been fighting with the 800 for an hour to try to track down a package. All I needed them to do was message the driver on his DIAD (the scanning thing they use) but the 800 number people just kept whining at me about how they don't give out driver phone numbers. I kept saying "DIAD!!!!!" at them and they didn't even know what it is.

But hey, now I have a local center number.

Maybe it thought you were saying FYAD!!!!!

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

TofuDiva posted:

They will never lose money because of a lovely delivery since you are dependant on them. They will only track loss of money, basically failed or late deliveries. Besides as people mentioned, when a rating system exists it only causes delivery people to get thrown under the bus when deliveries are bad, even if it is completely out of their control.

The package arrives when it arrives, but a lot of people don't get that. The call center would basically be 90 percent of people complaining about late deliveries.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The way commercials pronounce "Eau de Parfum". It's ok to have syllables, you don't have to say it like you are coughing up a lung like "eughhdparfeughhhhhhh" in one breath.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

The way commercials pronounce "Eau de Parfum". It's ok to have syllables, you don't have to say it like you are coughing up a lung like "eughhdparfeughhhhhhh" in one breath.

it's also not how anyone would ever say it in french so my question is......... why, ad execs? why?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Howdy, Parfum.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Double posting to say that I just found out what's more annoying than people standing in front of seating at bus stops (thus preventing anyone from sitting).

People standing ON the seats.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

docbeard posted:

Double posting to say that I just found out what's more annoying than people standing in front of seating at bus stops (thus preventing anyone from sitting).

People standing ON the seats.

This is why I started hating going to college football games. If you sit down, the people surrounding you yell at you for being a bad fan, and also you can't see poo poo because the people in front of you are standing on their seat. If you stand up in front of your seat, you are at eye level with rear end because the people in front of you are standing on their seat. If you stand up on your seat so you can see, the row behind you will bitch at you for making them do the same.

After like 7 years straight of that garbage I decided screw it, i'm just watching on tv from now on.

e: also it's really hard to not topple over and break your neck when you've been drinking all day and have to balance for 4 hours straight on a bleacher seat in 90+ degree florida heat.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 01:22 on Dec 13, 2019

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
"Thanks in advance" and "cheers" should both result in an autoban. If you're going to make disingenuous shitposts, at least make it look real.

Edit: Not just on these forums, in real life too. You're banned. I ban you.

Edit 2: Actually, not on these forums at all, just in real life. Thanking me in advance implies that you expect me to do it for some reason, or that it's a fake request that's really a demand. Go gargle my poo poo, cheers.

Dip Viscous has a new favorite as of 11:16 on Dec 13, 2019

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

If you stand up in front of your seat, you are at eye level with rear end because the people in front of you are standing on their seat.

This stadium either has the worst sight lines ever or you are very short and were constantly behind super tall people.

I’ve been to my share of college football games and am 5’5” but have never had any of these problems

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

This stadium either has the worst sight lines ever or you are very short and were constantly behind super tall people.

I’ve been to my share of college football games and am 5’5” but have never had any of these problems

Maybe I just described it poorly. Here is a picture:

Ideally people would stand in front of their assigned seat/part of the bleacher row on the concrete. They don't, though. They climb back up onto the bleacher itself, so if you're behind them on the concrete you just are not seeing through them.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
Whatever happened to the grand old tradition of flinging cups of ice water at people that block the views of others at movies and games?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
When are these fuckin ads trying to shame people into getting a "side hustle" going to die out? They're so annoying and miserable and grim. "When you get home from work, why not voluntarily choose to do extra work? Why not work every single minute you are awake every day? Why aren't you doing that, why isn't everybody doing that?" Gee I wonder.

Why isn't everyone on the planet working two jobs? Why not three? We at The Big Corporation Who Bought This Ad Space just don't understand why you would misuse the ~5 hours between when you get off of a long day at work and when you go to bed to wake up for your next work day!!

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 10:54 on Dec 15, 2019

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
People who insist on using their regional dialect when talking to people who are trying to learn their language.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

People who talk (read: mostly murmur occasionally) on their phones while they shop (read: park their cart in front of a shelf and stand there, occasionally touching a product). I already know that people in general act like there's no one else in the entire world but them, and this is a perfect example. I got into it with a woman at Target who kept aimlessly moving her cart from one side of an aisle display to the other while staring into the middle distance over the display, patting a couple boxes, and talking--barely--to whomever was on the other end of her phone. After dancing around her (oblivious) a few times and failing to get to what I wanted, I stepped in front of her (stopped) cart and she asked me what my problem was, that she was trying to shop. Can't prove it by me!

The other place this happens is in the greeting-card aisle. People camp out in front of a section of cards and just...chat on the phone while they touch every loving card and block you from getting anywhere near them. And that's where all the mom & dad anniversary cards are, or whatever, so you can't just move down the aisle to look at different cards in the same category. I understand a quick call about your shopping--"Is she turning eight or nine this year?"--but it sure sounds like folks are just shooting the poo poo while they keep other people from getting their own poo poo done.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

English people who move to America and start saying words like Americans do, eg. "mom" or dropping the Y sound from words like "student". It just sounds incredibly dumb hearing those pronunciations in an English accent.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Americans trying to use British slang and pronunciations though is always loving funny.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Helith posted:

Americans trying to use British slang and pronunciations though is always loving funny.

Whilst I tend to agree, it’s very easy to come off as a plonker and find yourself on quite the sticky wicket.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Helith posted:

There's a Tom Clancy book where a Russian character is undercover and pretending to be English. At one point he uses the word "arse" to emphasise Clancy knows we don't say "rear end" over here. But he'd thrown a loving "h" into it. "Ahrse." I don't even know how you'd pronounce that, let alone think it was correct.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I'm not a native speaker but overall I sound American with some British pronunciations, like I say schedule with a soft sch sound. Probably sounds kinda weird and incongruent but who cares tbh it's just what I grew into through movies

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

As part of an illustration course, we (the students) got to work with an independent news magazine to create an illustration for one of their upcoming articles. Each student would present 2-3 sketches to the art director who would critique them, then a second round of revised sketches and critiques, then each student would present their final illustration with one being chosen to accompany the article. Everybody thought this was a pretty cool opportunity to get some real-world illustration experience.

The article was about who were the top doctors in the city and the art director laid out the one ground rule: Because the publication was independent they wanted something totally unique. No cliche images such as doctors performing surgery/helping patients, city skylines, or ambulances. She really emphasized that and most of the student worked really hard to make something original. Some of the lazier students didn't even really bother with the rules and just made illustrations of doctors with a city skyline and were roasted by the art director during their critique.

There were a lot of really neat ideas and cool imagery presented at the final stage, but you know which one got published? A badly traced image of doctors performing open heart surgery with the city skyline sticking out of the patients chest.

Ugh. Why even try...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Chip McFuck posted:

Ugh. Why even try...

Sounds a lot like my experience with illustration. Hundreds of thumbnails, distinct style and concept, struggling to get a decent product in the very little time allotted... then some bag of laundry comes in with a dirty piece of paper and the first idea in their head and somehow the Prof is all "I know we said not to do this, but" and "if you take a cliche idea and do it well" and poo poo. Kick their rear end out and let us do something actually creative!