Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider
https://twitter.com/MattHancock/status/1203654807057305600

Matt Hancock pictured being punched by a Labour activist.

Edit: That thugtivist really gave him the old one-two, and then the old one-three-four!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

goddamnedtwisto posted:

2) I'm sure I read somewhere that all parties get one free mailshot (free as in delivered by the Royal Mail, obviously they still have to print them etc) - is this true?

Not sure if this is true as it cost my local party about £1400 to send out a mail shot to all households in the ward.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

winegums posted:

It was a longstanding tradition for outgoing cabinet ministers to leave a note for their successor. I think historically they were advisory but over time they became a bit more jokey. Sharing this note sincerely was one of the more dirty tricks the Tories pulled, despite ostensibly being the party of :decorum:

I don't really fault him for his naivety. It's one of the ways we learned to never trust a Tory.

Never, ever, ever

In any eventuality, in any circumstances

Ever ever ever

Trust a Tory further than you can hang throw them.

How far can you throw a very large wardrobe with a very small key?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's some spicy numbers.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I think the fact that Nick Eardley, the BBC's own guy on the scene, almost immediately contradicted the "punch" story is probably the most damning thing about that tweet. she made literally no effort to corroborate a damaging story fed to her by a Tory when it was very easy for her to have done so before repeating it

e: good that the actual story about the appalling state of the nhs is still going as well, maybe this additional dimension will prevent it being swept under the rug by tomorrow morning.

hopefully it doesn't completely overshadow it though (although the baldness of the collusion is definitely winding me up enough to make a second complaint in one day)

XMNN fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 9, 2019

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Well yeah, you don't bite the hand that feeds you, pretty basic stuff there.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

mediadave posted:

Yeah, he felt pretty bad

Liam Byrne says he considered throwing himself off a cliff after leaving Treasury 'no money' note
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/12/liam-byrne-says-he-considered-throwing-himself-off-a-cliff-after/

OK now I feel less mad at him personally and more mad at Tories which is good all round. It would be fun to see some of the previous notes!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Two relatively obscure questions that I'm having trouble breaking into chunks that Google can understand, and maybe someone here knows the answers to:

1) I know that the Tories boundary review is now dependent on the number of registered voters in a constituency, *not* the population (itself a neat bit of gerrymandering), but does anyone know if that's those registered to vote *and* eligible to vote in a GE (i.e. excluding EU residents) or if it's all registered to vote? Strongly suspect the former for obvious gerrymandering reasons, but would like to know for certain.

2) I'm sure I read somewhere that all parties get one free mailshot (free as in delivered by the Royal Mail, obviously they still have to print them etc) - is this true?

Q2 - yes. We got 1 free postal mailshot. BUT in our area (very widespread geographically) they only distribute to 90% of a given constituency so you have to pick your postcodes if you cover lots.

Catzilla posted:

Not sure if this is true as it cost my local party about £1400 to send out a mail shot to all households in the ward.

We have to pay for the printing of the leaflets, that might be the £1400.
Some places have used private firms to distribute leaflets so that could also be part of the cost.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 9, 2019

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Hearing that Labour have said that Tories named Laura 'resorted to bare faced lying' over the punch, that turned out not to be a punch after all in the footage from the hospital

Actually it turns out Labour said lorries named Taura 'resorted to bare knuckle boxing' over the lunch, that turned out not to be a lunch after all in the footage from the meeting hall

Crossed wires, Labour said lollies named Aura 'resorted to bare face-sitting' after the munch, that turned out not to be a munch after all in the footfetishage from the dungeon

Final clarification: Labour says "You're fired, Laura."

Oh :(

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

mediadave posted:

Yeah, he felt pretty bad

Liam Byrne says he considered throwing himself off a cliff after leaving Treasury 'no money' note
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/12/liam-byrne-says-he-considered-throwing-himself-off-a-cliff-after/

lol i didn't realise it was actually a lib dem that leaked it. of loving course it was.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

OK now I feel less mad at him personally and more mad at Tories which is good all round. It would be fun to see some of the previous notes!

Cameron was an excellent liar. Sure worked out well for him and us!

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1204110491242643457

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

"Happy" :)

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I love how all the responses are like a terrifying proletarian chorus of "Name Them"

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Oo-er I've been caught out and can't just maintain a haughty silence on this one.

Let's put on the 'respectable journalist' face and do some damage control.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I look forward to tomorrow's Daily Mail headlines saying Corbyn personally orchestrated this from his hidden communist bunker.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
I've had optimistic days and pessimistic days during this campaign, but today I'm just utterly loving furious at how the last few hours have panned out. Public discourse in this country is absolute poison

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Every time they do it they drive more and more of the young away from the press and towards the left.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

https://twitter.com/GeorgeMonbiot/status/1204109575403782149

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

OwlFancier posted:

Actually.

https://twitter.com/tomhfh/status/1204089329599078402

The queen's still dead. We have seen the whatsapp chat.
I’m laughing and angry at the same time
https://mobile.twitter.com/tomhfh/status/1204081381099352065

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Watching Johnssberg get ratioed in real time is great. Seconds between these screenshots:

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I am having a prolonged "full and frank" discussion with a guy at work regarding the minimum wage.

He: OMG putting the minimum up to £10 will shock the economy and inflation will rocket!

Me: No it won't, that's what the right and parsimonious business owners said before the minimum was introduced and guess what, it didn't happen.

He: Nuh uh, I worked in the service industry (a hotel) and they wouldn't survive with having to pay those kinds of wages.

Me: :fuckoff: So your old employer (that sacked him off) wouldn't survive without the wage slavery of its staff? Good riddance imo.

I know it is scaremongering on a titanic scale, so I ask you guys if you know of some studies that show the effects that such a raise would have? I know it wouldn't be much as minimum wageslaves do not make up such a significant proportion of the workforce, and most of there outgoings are not discretionary anyway, so they may well have more to spend at restaurants and such...

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

https://twitter.com/Lewiscon89/status/1204111761462497280

Okay maybe my sources lied to me, but I won't reveal them because I'm a credible journalist and we don't do that. I just won't use them again. You can trust me :smug:

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Judge Tesla posted:

I look forward to tomorrow's Daily Mail headlines saying Corbyn personally orchestrated this from his hidden communist bunker.

In the current media climate Corbyn could make more use of a DEbunker

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's

So caption competition?

Panel 1: Boris: I'm great and the NHS is perfect!
Panel 2: Nurse: Actually there are no beds and the NHS is in a Crisis
Panel 3: Dad: Seriously the NHS is underfunded and my child is suffering
Panel 4: Boris: Get out of the bed you scrounger!

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Bundy posted:

Watching Johnssberg get ratioed in real time is great. Seconds between these screenshots:

For a second I thought she'd accidentally posted it three times, as if she'd copied and pasted it from someone telling her to say it. Nothing surprises me now

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Eararaldor posted:

So caption competition?

I assure you Brexit will hurt the EU more than it hurts the UK.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

"I didn't apologise, I "apologiSed", and that's not a real word :smug: "

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
LAURA: KUENSSBOAT

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Friend who joined the LibDems last year is voting tactical Labour.

Also - this threat about tv licences I reckon is Johnson trying to strongarm BBC into not showing the Universal Credit Panorama tonight.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Bundy posted:

"Happy to apologise for X" is pretty high up the list of non-apology apologies.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/LukewSavage/status/1204115318735560704?s=19

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
A credible Tory source just told me Boris Johnson is, I quote, "the amorphous, toad-like god-creature mentioned in the Pnakotic Manuscripts and the Necronomicon and the Commoriom myth-cycle preserved by the Atlantean high-priest Klarkash-Ton."

Open Layer
Apr 16, 2008

Another Lib Dem leaflet! That's 14 now. And this is one of their safe seats unfortunately

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Braggart posted:

bare face-sitting

I have spent years wanting this

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Open Layer posted:

Another Lib Dem leaflet! That's 14 now. And this is one of their safe seats unfortunately

That's good, though, they're wasting money.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/juliamacfarlane/status/1204103826485239809

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Eararaldor posted:

So caption competition?

I'm pretty sure this is Boris doing the ctrl alt del meme comic.

Also just spent the weekend at a good old Irish wake for a cousin. Got to stay up for the night with one of my other cousins who I learned is an IRL friend of good old Seb Girls and about as Tory as you'd expect based on that. Not causing a scene was awkward when there were about 4 of us up with the body...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Braggart posted:

https://twitter.com/Lewiscon89/status/1204111761462497280

Okay maybe my sources lied to me, but I won't reveal them because I'm a credible journalist and we don't do that. I just won't use them again. You can trust me :smug:

That's pretty much the case, unless court proceedings are brought.

Got two identical Tory leaflets today, saying that "only Douglas Lumsden can defeat Nicola Sturgeon's SNP candidate". "Only X can win here" seems to be the theme of the election; I would wager that everyone in Scotland got one of these with a different Tory candidate on the left and "Nicola Sturgeon's SNP candidate" on the other side.