Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

PeterWeller posted:

I wish it was that interesting.

Hey! It wasn't my dissertation.

(That was on time travel fiction.)

so now that you’ve got your doctorate are the benefits at Starbucks as good as they say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

chernobyl kinsman posted:

so now that you’ve got your doctorate are the benefits at Starbucks as good as they say

Better than the ones I received as an adjunct and GTA.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

PeterWeller posted:

(That was on time travel fiction.)

This seems rad - feel like hitting us with an effortpost?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

PeterWeller posted:

Listen man, I wrote a MA thesis on Harry Potter, and I'll still read stories from Wayside High from time to time because they are adorable and hilarious. It's totally okay to be an adult and still enjoy and appreciate art that's explicitly made for children.

I agree, it’s just Phillip Pullman says in an interview he wrote his books for a general audience. Then the marketing teams at his publishers decided it was a good idea to market them to children. He came around to the idea because adults who like fantasy tend to only read a narrow band of fantasy whereas having his books marketed to kids meant many more adults read them by reading to their kids.

That popularity then lead to The Golden Compass movie and the current His Dark Materials tv show, which is definitely not targeting younger viewers.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

PeterWeller posted:

Better than the ones I received as an adjunct and GTA.

shaemful that unis dont offer better packages to the adjuncts who slave all semester to teach Intro to Eragon

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Strom Cuzewon posted:

This seems rad - feel like hitting us with an effortpost?

I'm probably gonna catch some well deserved flack for this, but I'd rather not right now because I'm working on the book. :eng99:

Ccs posted:

it’s just Phillip Pullman says in an interview he wrote his books for a general audience.

Yeah, I'm just gonna call Pullman a liar here.

shaemful that unis dont offer better packages to the adjuncts who slave all semester to teach Intro to Eragon

Especially these days when the high schools aren't properly covering Star Wars like they should.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

PeterWeller posted:

Listen man, I wrote a MA thesis on Harry Potter,

it's insanely sick how academia has been thoroughly coopted by market forces so that literature departments now have to have courses like 'YA 101' or whatever

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018

A human heart posted:

it's insanely sick how academia has been thoroughly coopted by market forces so that literature departments now have to have courses like 'YA 101' or whatever

I had to take a class on Young Adult Lit, but it was specifically geared towards people going into education.

Still bullshit and the continual dumbing down of secondary education is one of many reasons I said “gently caress this poo poo” halfway through student teaching and now work in an entirely different field than the one I went to school for.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Doctor Faustine posted:

I had to take a class on Young Adult Lit, but it was specifically geared towards people going into education.

Still bullshit and the continual dumbing down of secondary education is one of many reasons I said “gently caress this poo poo” halfway through student teaching and now work in an entirely different field than the one I went to school for.

I mean that at least makes some sense from a educational perspective even though the majority of YA stuff is written for and read by 35 year olds.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
One thing that has bugged me ever since reading some YA books is the sheer number of them that have K-names for their protagonists. Here's a list based on memory and some of the books I've pulled off my shelf: Kvothe, Katniss, Kaden, Kaz, Kell, Kylee, Katsa. Is there something about the letter K that's particularly exotic? Does it test better with the YA audience? For comparison, there are only three other YA books on my shelf that don't have protagonists with names beginning with K.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
It's kooler.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

A human heart posted:

I've never been a part of an English department that has offered more than the occasional YA-centric course. At my current school, one of the senior Ed faculty teaches a YA lit course like the one Doctor Faustine had to take, but like that course, it's just for Ed majors.

I wrote that thesis at a conservative Catholic university where The Canon is still held dear, and an undergrad is lucky if they get to read something written in the last hundred years.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

A human heart posted:

It's embarrassing how often Harry Potter is used as a cultural touchstone by millennials, especially for communicating political ideas.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
it is deeply weird when people in their twenties and beyond invest much energy and enthusiasm into children's entertainment and it betokens severe personality disorders 100% of the time

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

PeterWeller posted:

I wrote that thesis at a conservative Catholic university where The Canon is still held dear, and an undergrad is lucky if they get to read something written in the last hundred years.

I went to one of those for undergrad. I had a great time, but I'd never recommend it to anyone.

e: out of a graduating class of ~15 in the English dept, someone did a thesis on harry potter every year. I never heard about any pushback. It's not remotely subversive in a conservative religious American context and maybe somebody might write something interesting about why that is

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Dec 10, 2019

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

it is deeply weird when people in their twenties and beyond invest much energy and enthusiasm into children's entertainment and it betokens severe personality disorders 100% of the time

It harkens to the wisdom of our greatest thinker of the 80-90s, Yoda, who said,

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Of course I have someone's published dissertation on gender and sexual politics in Star Trek: The Next Generation on the shelf :negative:

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Eh, if you absolutely must do children's literature you could do a lot worse than Harry Potter.

That said, half of this is again the same "identifying as a Harry Potter fan" to the point where you have people writing "rationalist" fanfics about how Death is Bad.

Bilirubin posted:

Of course I have someone's published dissertation on gender and sexual politics in Star Trek: The Next Generation on the shelf :negative:

Still nothing redeeming about TNG, alas.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

I went to one of those for undergrad. I had a great time, but I'd never recommend it to anyone.

e: out of a graduating class of ~15 in the English dept, someone did a thesis on harry potter every year. I never heard about any pushback. It's not remotely subversive in a conservative religious American context and maybe somebody might write something interesting about why that is

I wasn't suggesting it was subversive, just pointing out that I wrote it at a school that wasn't basing any of its English curriculum on market forces.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Neurosis posted:

It's embarrassing how often Harry Potter is used as a cultural touchstone by millennials, especially for communicating political ideas.

I suppose that is embarrassing but on the other hand you're the guy who got mad at someone using the word bourgeois descriptively because it was excessively Marxist.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I'm gonna have to read the not-queer horse book to get this thread back on track aren't I?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I want to do an effortpost on We and 1984 but not enough to reread them instead of reading cool new books.

Maybe I can pretend that I'm doing it for the Soviet sci-fi class I almost took.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Dec 10, 2019

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

A human heart posted:

I suppose that is embarrassing but on the other hand you're the guy who got mad at someone using the word bourgeois descriptively because it was excessively Marxist.

lmao

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

A human heart posted:

You've been holding onto that one for a while I see - I guess defending Harry Potter required you to bust out the big guns.

*The word itself is fine and was actually in the book it was BotL's high-handed moral judgment mixed in with the criticism that was irksome.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'm reserving judgement on the Harry Potter MA thesis until I hear what it was actually about

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

PeterWeller posted:

I wasn't suggesting it was subversive, just pointing out that I wrote it at a school that wasn't basing any of its English curriculum on market forces.

Oh, I see what you mean

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

weird to hear "in-depth analysis of genre fiction is bad" in this, the in-depth analysis of genre fiction thread

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

weird to hear "in-depth analysis of genre fiction is bad" in this, the in-depth analysis of genre fiction thread

A careful analysis of the last two pages reveals that PeterWeller didn't post analysis of anything

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

maybe this thread... is also bad???

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Apologies for derailing the thread. I really was just backing up the point that nobody needs to pretend Pullman or w/e isn't for kids. I'm not gonna judge someone for digging atheist Narnia.

Antivehicular posted:

I'm reserving judgement on the Harry Potter MA thesis until I hear what it was actually about

It was about how most magic in Potter is essentially a language art, that the education and ethical concerns around it are drawn largely from the rhetorical tradition, and this is all part of its didactic scheme of lessons about relationships. The central part looked at how the episode with Tom Riddle's diary embodies Booth's books-as-friends metaphor and argued that it was a significant didactic move for Rowling to invite her young readers to consider their ethical relationship with what they read.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

burn down the english departments

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

CestMoi posted:

burn down the english departments
Yes, english is the language of speculative fiction and other youth culture. Nothing created in english can ever be art.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

VictualSquid posted:

Yes, english is the language of speculative fiction and other youth culture. Nothing created in english can ever be art.

This but unironically

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

PeterWeller posted:

It was about how most magic in Potter is essentially a language art, that the education and ethical concerns around it are drawn largely from the rhetorical tradition, and this is all part of its didactic scheme of lessons about relationships. The central part looked at how the episode with Tom Riddle's diary embodies Booth's books-as-friends metaphor and argued that it was a significant didactic move for Rowling to invite her young readers to consider their ethical relationship with what they read.

nice. i learned two languages for my MA

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Weird flex to brag about meeting a bar that 13% of the world's four-year-olds have cleared.

I have not cleared it.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

hahaha

Ok I need a wildcard, lay one on me

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Cool. I only learned one.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Bilirubin posted:

hahaha

Ok I need a wildcard, lay one on me

Quenya

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
Does it make you want to kill yourself that in 20 years (or less) someone will be doing a dissertation on worm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

:chanpop: