Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

MrYenko posted:

I was on the sort aisle one night and got showered in dildos when a box of them broke open on a transfer belt above us.

Working in a UPS hub is an experience.

A lot of crazy poo poo went unreported or got swept under the carpet there.

The worst I heard of was a mason jar of nitroglycerin falling off of a belt in Albany. I heard about it through the grapevine from the business development manager but never saw an official report.

Worst we had at my place were coolers full of live bees and buckets of dead pigs.

We also had a bounty for information on a 70lb Gatling gun that disappeared in the hub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

fisting by many posted:

Hot and Ground reversed is an exciting mistake to make.

I'm not sure how you would even do that without a deliberate effort.

I make power cables at work for our machines. They come with the female end on and I put the 3-prong male end on. I've seen it only once in the past 5 years, but the ground cable had been swapped with the hot at the female plug end one time. I was so surprised, as I almost thought it was just a neutral/hot swap (which wouldn't hurt anything on our boxes, the power supply handles it fine).

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 9, 2019

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
How not to lift

https://i.imgur.com/KmXqxLU.mp4

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
That's a whole lotta people who did not need to be near that work area.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Looks like someone didn’t do any calculations before lifting!

If you do end up in a situation where you’re lowering the boom and feel the crane tipping, yank that boom back up. The closer you are to horizontal, the farther out your center of gravity and the less you can hold without tipping over. It’s exactly like trying to pick up a 50 pound weight with a fully outstretched arm vs. lifting straight up with a nearly vertical arm.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Yes, for example, everyone who planned and executed that

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Nocheez posted:

I make power cables at work for our machines. They come with the female end on and I put the 3-prong male end on. I've seen it only once in the past 5 years, but the ground cable had been swapped with the hot at the female plug end one time. I was so surprised, as I almost thought it was just a neutral/hot swap (which wouldn't hurt anything on our boxes, the power supply handles it fin).

Happened to me once when some contractors replaced a plug on a shop box lift I had been mechanically refurbing and installed it while I was at lunch. Came back to an engineer asking if we had been welding and pointing at the glowing red floor bolts that were connected directly to a 480vac phase.

":aaa: ...not on purpose."

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

The worst I heard of was a mason jar of nitroglycerin falling off of a belt in Albany.

Worst we had at my place were coolers full of live bees and buckets of dead pigs.

We also had a bounty for information on a 70lb Gatling gun that disappeared in the hub.

Were you shipping stuff to Wile E. Coyote?

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

drunkill posted:

How not to lift

Fake news!

The lifting went just fine. It was the putting down that didn't go so well.

schmug
May 20, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Looks like someone didn’t do any calculations before lifting!

If you do end up in a situation where you’re lowering the boom and feel the crane tipping, yank that boom back up. The closer you are to horizontal, the farther out your center of gravity and the less you can hold without tipping over. It’s exactly like trying to pick up a 50 pound weight with a fully outstretched arm vs. lifting straight up with a nearly vertical arm.

yes, just "yank that boom back up" :allears:

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

The cranes already coming off the ground as it lowers it I think. How do you gently caress up weights that badly?

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

I will remember that crucial wisdom, if and when I'm operating a crane

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
*reading through thread on my cellphone while waiting to be extricated from toppled-over crane*

wish you guys had posted this 10 minutes ago!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

MrYenko posted:

I worked for UPS for not quite four years, and did basically everything short of drive trucks. Different facilities with different locals have different relationships with management. I was local 769, and the kind of poo poo upthread would absolutely not have flown. We had an excellent relationship with management, in that they expected a certain level of productivity, and in exchange, we expected actual adherence to safety rules and regulations, and not just lip service. Lock-out-tag-out was universal, and the union would frequently stand in disciplinary meetings for people walking on moving belts or breaking jams (with their hands) on moving belts and essentially agree with management that the individual in question is a dumb poo poo and deserves to be reprimanded.

That said, that kind of environment only exists when the union officials and members MAKE it exist, which can be a tough sell. (loving right-to-work states.) My current union, despite having EXTREMELY high membership percentages and being a far more permanent career workforce is extremely apathetic, and it kinda drives me insane.

Your union is what you make it, and is your first line of defense against your employer’s indifference. OSHA only gets involved after you get ground into a fine paste by machinery.

Thanks for this post. I'm in a similar boat with an extremely apathetic membership and it drives me crazy.

Also I'm on short term disability because I broke my collarbone and can't work. I get 80% of my wages as long as I'm out (up to 13 weeks).

It's in the contract. The company has to do it. If they don't I can loving take them to arbitration.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Mozi posted:

*reading through thread on my cellphone while waiting to be extricated from toppled-over crane*

wish you guys had posted this 10 minutes ago!

When you tip the cup, yank it up.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

hemale in pain posted:

The cranes already coming off the ground as it lowers it I think. How do you gently caress up weights that badly?

Yep. From 0:15-0:20 or so you can see the crane is already tilting, then briefly recovers as the wall touches down before it starts to topple.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Thanks for this post. I'm in a similar boat with an extremely apathetic membership and it drives me crazy.

Also I'm on short term disability because I broke my collarbone and can't work. I get 80% of my wages as long as I'm out (up to 13 weeks).

It's in the contract. The company has to do it. If they don't I can loving take them to arbitration.

drat, lucky. With my union (I do cold storage), I got about 40% of my wages in STD when I split my distal radius into 8 shards. (Not on the job.)

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

haveblue posted:

Yep. From 0:15-0:20 or so you can see the crane is already tilting, then briefly recovers as the wall touches down before it starts to topple.

Also looks like the way that thing was tethered down the side of the wall piece, as soon as it starting leaning over touching the ground it was like pulling a big lever.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

hemale in pain posted:

How do you gently caress up weights that badly?

There was a goon claiming to be a crane operator in either the previous OSHA thread or the one prior to that who bragged about how he would either go right up to the weight limits of the cranes he operated on and/or bypass them if he happened to think that the weight limits were purposefully set low to inconvenience experienced experts like himself and (IIRC) said that such behavior regarding weight limits was commonplace.

So maybe the operator in the clip just had a bad case of The Big loving Stupid.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kith posted:

There was a goon claiming to be a crane operator in either the previous OSHA thread or the one prior to that who bragged about how he would either go right up to the weight limits of the cranes he operated on and/or bypass them if he happened to think that the weight limits were purposefully set low to inconvenience experienced experts like himself and (IIRC) said that such behavior regarding weight limits was commonplace.

So maybe the operator in the clip just had a bad case of The Big loving Stupid.

Fun fact: load charts really are often set to about 80% of the actual maximum specifically in case a dumbass like him tries to dance right on the line. That behavior is commonplace because construction is an industry full of toxic masculinity.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Justin Credible posted:

drat, lucky. With my union (I do cold storage), I got about 40% of my wages in STD when I split my distal radius into 8 shards. (Not on the job.)

Yeah mine wasn't at work either. It is nice knowing that I don't have to force myself to hobble around at work just to keep my job while I'm trying to heal.

Wow when you let people actually heal they come back faster and not broken down. Who would have fuckin thought?

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Working at a ups air hub really is about as peak OSHA as you can get. Inside the hub is over 100 miles of conveyors where every inch thirsts for the flesh of fingers. Outside on the ramp you are constantly praying that all of the hundreds of drivers are paying attention and aren't zoned out.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

Outside on the ramp you are constantly praying that all of the hundreds of drivers are paying attention and aren't zoned out.

Nothing is more dangerous than a cargo forklift driver at MIA.

Nothing.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

That’s normal for driving anything in Miami :rimshot:

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

chitoryu12 posted:

Fun fact: load charts really are often set to about 80% of the actual maximum specifically in case a dumbass like him tries to dance right on the line. That behavior is commonplace because construction is an industry full of toxic masculinity.

Hmm, yes, so what you're saying is I can go 25% higher than what it says on the chart

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

BMan posted:

Hmm, yes, so what you're saying is I can go 25% higher than what it says on the chart

They stopped printing that notice on load charts because that's exactly what happened when people read it.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

They stopped printing that notice on load charts because that's exactly what happened when people read it.

That kinda thing makes me feel smart. I may not be the best at anything, but I know my limits (they are below what the equipment is capable of).

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Hello! The only time I can actually talk about OSHA poo poo in the OSHA thread. I did iron work for a WHOPPING 3-4 days. Tying re-bar caring re-bar blah blah ect ect yadda yadda. I happened to come in pretty late into the construction of two warehouses, so will I was tyin over on site B site A was ready for the walls to get put in place. I'm sure as anyone who's worked a site before, know that each job is done by a specific group of workers. There was literally dozens of them for each slab that they raised. That was their job. Making wall stand up right and bracing it. We watched for awhile as each wall was raised it's really impressive ( for literally watching a wall be raised) . Couple of the old tymers who've done this poo poo before told us they hated watching and it the only reason we really watched was to make sure we can see the crane or wall. Because, yes, they've fallen and people that can't get away arnt crushed they are VAPORIZED.

So yeah! gently caress that job! Also, no I have no idea why they need that many people. I'm sure it was important!

ShortyMR.CAT fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 9, 2019

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://i.imgur.com/iD5TuHU.gifv

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

:britain:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Construction pranks are always amazing.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

schmug
May 20, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

Construction pranks are always amazing.

I don't think it's even a prank. Guy just fell somehow while having his legs wrapped around the pole and kind of locked himself around it. Them laughing their asses off at it though is hilarious. It has sound fwiw.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I've worked construction. That's definitely a "gently caress with the new guy" thing.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

It's one of those tricks like the impossible elbow lick, when you sit cross legged around a pole, your body weight makes your legs useless. I think they used it in Vietnam, don't remember if it was our boys or theirs

schmug
May 20, 2007

What could they have done to get him to wrap his legs around the pole though? "Hey, you need to wrap your legs around it for better leverage" *gets pushed down*

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

schmug posted:

What could they have done to get him to wrap his legs around the pole though? "Hey, you need to wrap your legs around it for better leverage" *gets pushed down*
They probably said "hey wrap your legs around and slide down the pole" like in every other case of this prank.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

"i bet you can't get back up on your own"

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

MattO posted:

Also looks like the way that thing was tethered down the side of the wall piece, as soon as it starting leaning over touching the ground it was like pulling a big lever.

yeah, this. I don't operate cranes but I do tons of work on big telehandlers... once I picked up like 2 tons of ply and just kept booming out (with the load really close to the ground) just to see what it would feel like when it started to tip. on a 5 ton capacity (about 13 tons empty) machine, this happened FAST -- like, I wasn't even boomed out 20%. the load charts in the machine reference every possible boom angle//extension....

....but the angle meters on the rental machines we use are more often than not broken off by the time we get them.

e: specific weights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Midvale School For The Gifted