Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Hell yeah we used to make people sit like this playing capture the flag or whatever in middle school. You can only get up if you can pull yourself up the pole with your arms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Kith posted:

There was a goon claiming to be a crane operator in either the previous OSHA thread or the one prior to that who bragged about how he would either go right up to the weight limits of the cranes he operated on and/or bypass them if he happened to think that the weight limits were purposefully set low to inconvenience experienced experts like himself and (IIRC) said that such behavior regarding weight limits was commonplace.

So maybe the operator in the clip just had a bad case of The Big loving Stupid.

Hot Karl Marx! I remember arguing with him about it right before he got shouted out of the thread. Safety factors on cranes and rigging aren't necessarily even about macho operators. It's for stuff like someone made an honest mistake, like assembled something and forgot to account for the weight of 300 bolts or something. Or maybe your line is starting to wear out or is slightly damaged but it hasn't been noticed yet. Then the macho guy comes along and what used to have 25% more strength than listed only has 10% more, but he knows about the safety factor, and he's definitely smart enough to ignore what it says on the crane!

schmug
May 20, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

Hell yeah we used to make people sit like this playing capture the flag or whatever in middle school. You can only get up if you can pull yourself up the pole with your arms.

Guess I just assumed that an adult aged person wouldn't fall for something so juvenal and had to be tricked into it somehow. I must be new here. lol

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

schmug posted:

I don't think it's even a prank. Guy just fell somehow while having his legs wrapped around the pole and kind of locked himself around it. Them laughing their asses off at it though is hilarious. It has sound fwiw.

Me: Hey bud, I bet you 20 bucks you can't get back up if you wrap your legs around this pole like so.

You: Surely this is the easiest 20 bucks I've ever made.

PRANKED!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNe3Khi5CLY

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 9, 2019

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

EKDS5k posted:

Hot Karl Marx! I remember arguing with him about it right before he got shouted out of the thread. Safety factors on cranes and rigging aren't necessarily even about macho operators. It's for stuff like someone made an honest mistake, like assembled something and forgot to account for the weight of 300 bolts or something. Or maybe your line is starting to wear out or is slightly damaged but it hasn't been noticed yet. Then the macho guy comes along and what used to have 25% more strength than listed only has 10% more, but he knows about the safety factor, and he's definitely smart enough to ignore what it says on the crane!

The macho stuff is still a problem for inexperienced people making honest mistakes because there's a lot of institutional inertia of ignorance. Take a guess when OSHA began requiring accredited certification for crane operators. Same standard as a driver's license.

November 2018. With a few months' delay before enforcement begins to let everyone finish up getting certified. There are still companies over a year later trying to finish certification. Keep that in mind whenever you drive near working cranes.

Before this, at its most strict, it was up to the employer to verify that the operator knew what they were doing. This could mean a lot of things, as nobody was actually required to go to a quality provider that would provide legitimate credentials. As long as you could document it, nobody would really question your provider until an accident occurred and investigations happened, and it turns out you got your qualification from the equivalent of a diploma mill where you paid $80 and did a 4-hour online class.

And the reason all of that happened is because, within maybe two generations, it was common for you to become a crane operator by having an older guy teach you on the job. And that older guy probably learned by having his older guy teach him on the job, and so on back to the Industrial Revolution. It was a complete toss-up if the guy with 30 years of operating experience that you hired actually had any knowledge that wasn't something half-remembered from years ago and was just operating by the seat of his pants, using years of experience on the sticks and a lot of luck to avoid killing himself or others. They tended to be fiercely competitive and protective of their position, which could mean hazing or harassment toward younger operators (especially if those younger operators wanted to follow procedures or pointed out where they were doing something unsafe).

Now OSHA is suddenly requiring certification (only sudden if you paid literally no attention to legislation moving through the industry, because they started work in 1991 on this) and you're being told that your experience ain't no good no more! You have to actually go somewhere and prove that you know what you're doing! If you fail the tests because you've never looked at a load chart in your life and don't know how close OSHA says you're allowed to get to power lines, it's easier to just blame The Man for gouging money out of you or say that the people who made the tests have no clue what they're talking about. The only difference between now and a decade ago is that now they can't just grumble and go back to the job without a certification.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

"OK, that wasn't great, but I can give you a second chance if you promise to carefully make sure that-"

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

schmug posted:

Guess I just assumed that an adult aged person wouldn't fall for something so juvenal and had to be tricked into it somehow. I must be new here. lol

I'm watching it, know the outcome, and I still want to try it. Do you not?

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

chitoryu12 posted:

And the reason all of that happened is because, within maybe two generations, it was common for you to become a crane operator by having an older guy teach you on the job. And that older guy probably learned by having his older guy teach him on the job, and so on back to the Industrial Revolution. It was a complete toss-up if the guy with 30 years of operating experience that you hired actually had any knowledge that wasn't something half-remembered from years ago and was just operating by the seat of his pants, using years of experience on the sticks and a lot of luck to avoid killing himself or others. They tended to be fiercely competitive and protective of their position, which could mean hazing or harassment toward younger operators (especially if those younger operators wanted to follow procedures or pointed out where they were doing something unsafe).

my friend is going to Crane School in February. $9,000, 28 days. it is only the first certification (mobile cranes up to 50k lbs I believe). just the test is $2,000 by itself.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

snugglz posted:

my friend is going to Crane School in February. $9,000, 28 days. it is only the first certification (mobile cranes up to 50k lbs I believe). just the test is $2,000 by itself.

Here's the real secret: virtually all of that is upcharge by the school. The actual cost of certification, depending on which accredited company you go to, is usually around $200-250 for one and then additional exams are a smaller charge to that. You do have to pay practical examiners for their time and equipment and a test site may charge a fee anywhere from $10 a test to $75 a seat, but the actual money going to the certification company is more likely going to be $300 or less per person.

As far as a 28-day course, that sounds like something intended for a person who's a 100% beginner, never touched a crane in their life. A class intended for someone who already knows the basics and just needs additional training to pass certification exams is more likely to be a week long and $700-1000 depending on where you go.

Edit: I should also clarify that training is not a requirement to get certified. If you already think you know everything about what you're doing, you can pay the certification company and then pay the practical examiner whatever to do your little obstacle course. You can have everything done in a few days depending on how you set it up and how good you are.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

snugglz posted:

jfc.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The schools are where the real scamming comes in. We're always staying vigilant for places that are trying to outright steal exams, but in general almost all of them are really scummy with how much they charge. You'll find a professional company with two dozen employees in the office that sends trainers all over the world that charges $995 per person as long as they don't have to come to you, and then you'll have a business that's two rednecks running it out of their home office and a garage who rent space in a hotel room or warehouse to teach and charge $1600 per person. Or they'll charge different prices for each person depending on if they like them and add on hundreds in fees for every little thing.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cyrano4747 posted:

gently caress & :words:

I work the purple side of the fence and had a similar accident and completely different result where I was dehydrated from puking my guts out due to allergies so one minute I'm loading a truck and 5 minutes later I'm staring at the ceiling and getting dragged off the floor.
Took nearly half an hour to convince management to not call an ambulance I just needed to chug a gallon of water, they only agreed if I had a full panel run on me to make sure my brain hadn't partially exploded.
Upside, I have 3 year old CT scans I didn't pay a dime for to show my brain is fine, I'm just an idiot.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Trade schools are massive scams.

An average barber school costs more than my grad and undergrad degrees combined.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/XZfakdB.mp4

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Jump-scare of the year right here

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Holy poo poo did not see that coming.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Trade schools are massive scams.

An average barber school costs more than my grad and undergrad degrees combined.

I went to school to be a physical therapist assistant, it was 5k for a 2 year program, half of which was working 40h/week for free, the licensure exam is 500, and continuing ed. every 2 years can vary but there's license renewal fees. I make as much as an experienced nurse. Was not a bad deal at all. My undergrad cost quite a lot and was totally useless.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

LifeSunDeath posted:

My undergrad cost quite a lot and was totally useless.

To my uneducated mind, that sounds like you might be selling yourself short.

By way of explanation: my father spent eleven years in university just to, what, not finish his doctorate? Nah, dude can learn anything after that. Plus, without that he wouldn't have met my mother and I wouldn't be here talking at you.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

fisting by many posted:

I have never been so disappointed to see a plan work exactly as intended.

Yeah really. I mean, there's a moment at the end of the second video where he almost falls off the wall, chainsaw in hand, but he just manages to steady himself on the tree. I'm kinda sad for thread content but glad I didn't have to run out and staunch bleeding from a severed limb.

I've seen this guy unload a double-door fridge off the back of a truck without assistance. I've seen him use an enormous crescent wrench on a pipe, then just barely catch himself as the nut he was wrenching on suddenly came loose. He's big, super stocky and must be pretty muscly, so he seems to be able to just power through. One day he is definitely going to throw his back out or kill himself doing something stupid.

Sadly for the thread, my partner and I plan on moving out soon, so I won't be around to see it.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://giant.gfycat.com/EnormousAgedIrishwolfhound.webm

Not sure if that's going to embed for everyone

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Oh, yeah, I remember this. The person in the car was "reportedly ok". Mistook the gas pedal for the brake pedal.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/video-shows-crash-landing-of-car-s-7-storey-plunge-from-texas-parking-garage-1.4243964

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Nenonen posted:

Now you just have to figure out how to correct it!

Keep in mind, those will not detect when someone has jumped the neutral to the ground screw to fool you into thinking ungrounded wiring is grounded!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Memento posted:

https://giant.gfycat.com/EnormousAgedIrishwolfhound.webm

Not sure if that's going to embed for everyone

I can feel Red Greene's single tear of pride that his knowledge has passed to the next generation.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yesterday there was a massive eruption of the phreatic volcano on New Zealand's White Island. Currently five deaths from the tourists who were evacuated, with eight people unaccounted for. Really difficult to understand why people were still being allowed to go there. With the volcano being mostly submerged, meteoric water from the ocean can easily infiltrate down to the magma chamber and initiate a massive steam explosion with essentially no warning. This then releases pressure on the magma chamber, causing it to explosively exsolve its volatile gases and violently erupt.

The New Zealand government agency GNS upgraded the warning level from 1 to 2 (out of 5) about three weeks ago, with 3 being "minor eruption", 4 being "moderate eruption" and 5 being "major eruption". 2 is "heightened volcanic unrest, may erupt at any time". Even with signed waivers, people should not have been anywhere near that island. The type of explosion associated with these sorts of eruptions can send a cloud of ash, gravel and dust along with toxic, acidic gases faster than the speed of sound down the side of the cone.

Good twitter thread from a guy who missed being vaporised by 22 minutes here.

https://twitter.com/sch/status/1203893996566634496?s=19

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Wirth1000 posted:

Oh, yeah, I remember this. The person in the car was "reportedly ok". Mistook the gas pedal for the brake pedal.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/video-shows-crash-landing-of-car-s-7-storey-plunge-from-texas-parking-garage-1.4243964

Quick napkin math says after a 7 story free fall (~23 meters) you'd be going about 70kph, which is just this side of 'rough but survivable' with what amounts to a head on collision like that.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXIUamojMX0

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

UraniumAnchor posted:

Quick napkin math says after a 7 story free fall (~23 meters) you'd be going about 70kph, which is just this side of 'rough but survivable' with what amounts to a head on collision like that.

Tom Cruise does this in one of the Mission Impossible movies and I've always wondered if him surviving was realistic. I guess it is!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Oh and Sydney is a little hazy today.

https://media.scribblelive.com/2019/12/10/1838a9a9-ade0-4b03-9fdf-afdf8e32862b.mp4

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

We get it Australia, you vape.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Wirth1000 posted:

Mistook the gas pedal for the brake pedal

my opinion is that if you ever use this particular excuse your license should be permanently cancelled

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

LifeSunDeath posted:

We get it Australia, you vape.

Just for giggles, why not, let's have a laugh.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Final scenes of Beyond Thunderdome looking remastered.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

my opinion is that if you ever use this particular excuse your license should be permanently cancelled

Seems like a polite euphemism for “made a small mistake, panicked, and flailed unthinkingly.”

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Memento posted:

Yesterday there was a massive eruption of the phreatic volcano on New Zealand's White Island. Currently five deaths from the tourists who were evacuated, with eight people unaccounted for. Really difficult to understand why people were still being allowed to go there. With the volcano being mostly submerged, meteoric water from the ocean can easily infiltrate down to the magma chamber and initiate a massive steam explosion with essentially no warning. This then releases pressure on the magma chamber, causing it to explosively exsolve its volatile gases and violently erupt.

The New Zealand government agency GNS upgraded the warning level from 1 to 2 (out of 5) about three weeks ago, with 3 being "minor eruption", 4 being "moderate eruption" and 5 being "major eruption". 2 is "heightened volcanic unrest, may erupt at any time". Even with signed waivers, people should not have been anywhere near that island. The type of explosion associated with these sorts of eruptions can send a cloud of ash, gravel and dust along with toxic, acidic gases faster than the speed of sound down the side of the cone.

Good twitter thread from a guy who missed being vaporised by 22 minutes here.

https://twitter.com/sch/status/1203893996566634496?s=19
Fun stuff: for some reason it was considered ok for tour operators to decide for themselves whether it was safe to go to the privately owned active volcano. Now two employees and 11 customers are dead, 27 of the survivors are in critical condition with severe burns, people who assisted with the rescue describe helping victims who had burns to their tongues and eyeballs, all burns units in NZ are full, a criminal investigation has been launched, a Worksafe NZ investigation has been launched...

Even more fun thing: the company running the tours won an award for Safest Place to Work (small business category) NZ last year https://www.stuff.co.nz/waikato-times/news/118090485/white-island-tours-crowned-with-health-and-safety-award-12-months-ago . Based on, I guess, their focus on people wearing closed toed shoes while touring the crater of a constantly erupting active volcano.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

shame on an IGA posted:

I can feel Red Greene's single tear of pride that his knowledge has passed to the next generation.

If they can't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!

I saw online today that the air quality index for Sydney is as high as 2214 today. Hazardous starts at 200. Jesus H Christ in a chicken basket, that's awful.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/QQSBJKO.mp4

naem
May 29, 2011

Jet Jaguar posted:

If they can't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!

I saw online today that the air quality index for Sydney is as high as 2214 today. Hazardous starts at 200. Jesus H Christ in a chicken basket, that's awful.

gently caress, my whole face clogs up past like 60 stay safe over there

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Eh. Its been shithouse in sydney for more then a week, it is just getting a little worse each day as the fires get closer to western sydney.

Nothing will be done about climate change or boosting funding to fire services, they just had budget cuts this year.

So much so that volunteer fire fighters are having to pay for diesel themselves as the fire service fuel cards have run out of money.

Fire season normally doesnt really kick off until Jan when everything has had a month or three of summer to dry out. It'll get worse for the state and the rest of the country soon enough.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Stay safe volcano ghost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Phanatic posted:

Midvale School For The Gifted

I get this