Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Walmart dropped all their new game prices to 49 dollars when gamestop announced their issues earlier this year. I expect that to go Back up to 60 dollars as soon as gamestop folds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

sauer kraut posted:

GameStop is closing ~80 stores right now and hundreds more early next year.
If you happen to have any preorders with them done locally, cancel them now or your money is gone.
Use gift cards you get from your aunt for Xmas or whatever immediately, don't buy new ones.

Eh, it's been a long time coming. Gamestop is pretty saturated with locations IMO. I've heard of some malls that have two, because one used to be something that they absorbed.

I guess as long as they're actually a business and not just another host body for corporate raider parasites, they'll probably survive. There's a profitable business in there under all the flab. I saw one yesterday packed as gently caress, I don't even know why other than Christmas.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Neo Rasa posted:

Speaking of this, if you have a pre-order at one and it is closed, they move the pre-order to whatever the next nearest GameStop is so you can still go to another one or call their customer service number if it's far to work out getting your $5/whatever dollars back as long as theres any locations in existence. Don't lose any $$$.

Why you never preorder. Also all the other kickstarter and tech startup travesties mentioned here and in the Tech Nightmare thread.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

sauer kraut posted:

GameStop is closing ~80 stores right now and hundreds more early next year.
If you happen to have any preorders with them done locally, cancel them now or your money is gone.
Use gift cards you get from your aunt for Xmas or whatever immediately, don't buy new ones.

Or don't, because if you preorder physical copies of games you deserve to lose your money

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

QuarkJets posted:

Or don't, because if you preorder physical copies of games you deserve to lose your money

*except for Pokémon

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I pre-ordered the Katamari Damacy re-release for the Switch, and I'm glad I did bc it was literally the only copy in the store - 'its digital, who buys physical anymore'?

So far none of my physical copies of games have been yanked back from my hands by the manufacturer due to some licensing issue, so I think I'm good, thanks. I'll be the fool who keeps what I own - you can be the fool who rents it.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 10, 2019

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I pre-ordered the Katamari Damacy re-release for the Switch, and I'm glad I did bc it was literally the only copy in the store - 'its digital, who buys physical anymore'?

So far none of my physical copies of games have been yanked back from my hands by the manufacturer due to some licensing issue, so I think I'm good, thanks. I'll be the fool who keeps what I own - you can be the fool who rents it.

Please explain when this has happened to anyone. Every game I 'own' digitally on just about any platform I have free access to redownload and replay at any time. The one exception in my digital library is PT, which was a free demo for a game that ended up getting cancelled. But I'm sure, any day now publishers are going to start yanking away all those games I've paid for. Any day now.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Or until Nintendo shuts the download servers off and you can’t download it anymore. I’m not gonna fight that battle but there is an actual reason to not like all digital.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

DrNutt posted:

Please explain when this has happened to anyone. Every game I 'own' digitally on just about any platform I have free access to redownload and replay at any time. The one exception in my digital library is PT, which was a free demo for a game that ended up getting cancelled. But I'm sure, any day now publishers are going to start yanking away all those games I've paid for. Any day now.

https://youtu.be/5yUmR6eQNrY

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Isn't there an entire catalog of games for the Wii that are just lost to time unless you still have them downloaded to a working Wii?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Why not just pre-order from Amazon if you really crave a physical product? The odds of it not being fulfilled are essentially zero at this point.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Even if you get the game cards for Switch a number of developers are too cheap to pay for cartridges larger than 8gb and you end up having to download the game anyways.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

A number of the AAA publishers have been doing that. It's super annoying for Capcom game collections because they'll give some on cart and some on a code.

There's a lot of great indie devs who have waited for their games to be fully completed and patched before printing off physical editions. Shovel Knight will finally get it's physical Switch edition once the last expansion comes out in a few days. And The Witcher 3 managed to fit the whole game and the expansions on one Switch cart. (Not a small indie game, I know.)

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Fair enough. But increasingly getting physical copies doesn't mean a whole lot when you're still going to have to download multiple gig day one patches to play the game. Or when games are relying on servers to remain active. If you're doing it to save money good on you but your disc is as much of a rental license as a digital purchase according to the fine print.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

DrNutt posted:

Fair enough. But increasingly getting physical copies doesn't mean a whole lot when you're still going to have to download multiple gig day one patches to play the game. Or when games are relying on servers to remain active. If you're doing it to save money good on you but your disc is as much of a rental license as a digital purchase according to the fine print.

Hush you don’t know. Trust the plan. Think down low Ed and the changing of the guard.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

There's plenty of reason to go all digital.

:filez:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I am glad I have fully embraced going digital. Not having to locate a physical object when the whim to play something is a benefit that cannot be overstated. I used to play a lot more video games and the space a collection can take up is definitely not trivial. Collecting and playing video games are two different (if related) hobbies. I just want to play fun games and the second a more convenient option than going to a store and buying something appeared I jumped on.

I still have all my NES and SNES cartridges kicking around in storage out of nostalgia, but I have not needed to use one in over 20 years thanks to emulation.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I am glad I have fully embraced going digital. Not having to locate a physical object when the whim to play something is a benefit that cannot be overstated. I used to play a lot more video games and the space a collection can take up is definitely not trivial. Collecting and playing video games are two different (if related) hobbies. I just want to play fun games and the second a more convenient option than going to a store and buying something appeared I jumped on.

I still have all my NES and SNES cartridges kicking around in storage out of nostalgia, but I have not needed to use one in over 20 years thanks to emulation.

If you are collecting games, don't you want to display them somehow?

Back in good old days(tm), Blizzard had a neat system where you could legally clone copies of their games to play with friends at a LAN party. You had to pass the physical disk around to launch the game on each computer, but once that was done, you were fine. Unfortunately, this bit of goodwill came back to bite them in the Bnetd affaire.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Walmart dropped all their new game prices to 49 dollars when gamestop announced their issues earlier this year. I expect that to go Back up to 60 dollars as soon as gamestop folds.

My guess is they're making a ton of money on bullshit like midnight releases, preorders on anticipated console games like Call of Modern Dutyfarestrike 37, and whatever is left of their reselling. Granted in the last one everybody loving hates them because they'll like oh yes you have a pile of stuff we can sell for $500 pretty much guaranteed but we can only offer you $5 of store credit.

I imagine they'll be able to keep chugging along off of the event side of things but they'll be far from their peak. Even then Walmart is probably going to try to keep eating their lunch and people are increasingly going digital. I for one haven't bought a physical copy of a game in years. Most of my favorite games that have been coming out don't even have physical copies, far as I can tell. Then again I'm almost entirely playing indie games off of Steam or GOG these days. I highly doubt a AAA company would ever even consider producing something like Factorio.

This is I think another reason why the games industry has been making GBS threads itself. The size of the games market keeps going up but increasingly indie games are a lot of the favorites. Look at stuff like Slay the Spire. Two random dudes just started farting around making a game. I don't think, say, EA would produce that kind of game. Next thing we know it goes viral, everybody loving loves it, and it seemed like it was just a weird little thing that came out of nowhere. Which it...uh...kind of was, really. Two dudes just made a thing that it turns out everybody loved. No microtransactions, no crippling it unless you pay for $100 of DLC, just a fun little game made by people that very obviously like games a lot.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the fine crop of indie games that push innovation in game design are definitely good for gaming as a hobby, but the money is still in AAA and AA retread games that safely make many millions of dollars through microtransactions. like activision blizzard, take-two, EA are still dominating the top of the charts. and like movies, it's the big blockbusters from big studios that make the most revenue even if the small indie films that only turn a modest profit that capture all the critical attention and praise. outer worlds, which was mediocre at best, sold way more than outer wilds, which is mandatory to play because it is so very good

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

gaj70 posted:

Back in good old days(tm), Blizzard had a neat system where you could legally clone copies of their games to play with friends at a LAN party. You had to pass the physical disk around to launch the game on each computer, but once that was done, you were fine. Unfortunately, this bit of goodwill came back to bite them in the Bnetd affaire.
They added a spawn mode for Starcraft 2 at some point. It's obsolete now that most of the game is just free though.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hungry posted:

There's plenty of reason to go all digital.

:filez:

Piracy is basically the best thing for video game preservation. Pirates and retro enthusiasts have done way more for preservation than the copyright holders have.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

luxury handset posted:

the fine crop of indie games that push innovation in game design are definitely good for gaming as a hobby, but the money is still in AAA and AA retread games that safely make many millions of dollars through microtransactions. like activision blizzard, take-two, EA are still dominating the top of the charts. and like movies, it's the big blockbusters from big studios that make the most revenue even if the small indie films that only turn a modest profit that capture all the critical attention and praise. outer worlds, which was mediocre at best, sold way more than outer wilds, which is mandatory to play because it is so very good

That's partly because the big, fat companies are trying to squeeze every last dime from gamers as they can. Indie games are usually people who really like games just wanting to make games.

The big money isn't in making games the big money is in making microtransaction delivery services.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

gaj70 posted:

Not at all, no.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Gort posted:

Not at all, no.

ok gooner

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

PT6A posted:

Why not just pre-order from Amazon if you really crave a physical product? The odds of it not being fulfilled are essentially zero at this point.

Pre order bonuses.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

DrNutt posted:

When Empire went out of business everything they had on Live/PSN went away. That included some classic poo poo like the original Double Dragon (of which the 360 version was the only actual port ever - at that point even playing it on MAME you had to use a bootleg/off version of it because no actual dump of an original board had been recovered for years, the game wasn't released again til almost a decade later on the PS4), Speedball 2, etc.

Nowadays we have great stuff going on like the Arcade Archives series but the idea that this has never happened before to anyone is absurd because it objective has pretty regularly, even if it's games you personally don't play.

Hell, remember WiiWare? That was quite a few games that no longer exist, again including some no joke real actual good games like Castlevania Rebirth. Same with the Wii Virtual Console, incredible selection of stuff, only some of which made it to the Wii U in the form of games you could buy again at a significant discount if you already had them from the original Wii Shop, which itself is gone, etc. None of that stuff has been anything close to permanent and saying "But I'm sure, any day now publishers are going to start yanking away all those games I've paid for. Any day now." sarcastically is very odd when Nintendo literally already did that in January (and even earlier with WiiWare stuff).

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 10, 2019

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Neo Rasa posted:

When Empire went out of business everything they had on Live/PSN went away. That included some classic poo poo like the original Double Dragon (of which the 360 version was the only actual port ever - at that point even playing it on MAME you had to use a bootleg/off version of it because no actual dump of an original board had been recovered for years) and Speeball 2.

Nowadays we have great stuff going on like the Arcade Archives series but the idea that this has never happened before to anyone is absurd because it objective has pretty regularly, even if it's games you personally don't play. Hell, remember WiiWare? That was quite a few games that no longer exist. Same with the Wii Virtual Console, incredible selection of stuff, only some of which made it to the Wii U in the form of games you could buy again at a significant discount if you already had them from the original Wii Shop, which itself is gone, etc. None of that stuff has been anything close to permanent and saying "But I'm sure, any day now publishers are going to start yanking away all those games I've paid for. Any day now." sarcastically is very odd when that's literally a thing that happens.

Games no longer able to be purchased is not the same thing as games that you have purchased being stolen away from you.

That said I think licensing laws tend to be way too bonkers and restrictive and we should have better methods of game preservation but being a Luddite who refuses to buy digital games out of some weird "they will come for my digital copy of RDR2 someday" is weird and backwards and not at all likely to be the case.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

DrNutt posted:

Games no longer able to be purchased is not the same thing as games that you have purchased being stolen away from you.

That said I think licensing laws tend to be way too bonkers and restrictive and we should have better methods of game preservation but being a Luddite who refuses to buy digital games out of some weird "they will come for my digital copy of RDR2 someday" is weird and backwards and not at all likely to be the case.

I buy games digitally constantly, way more than I do physical, but me games no longer being able to be purchased may as well be the same thing because of how much unique hardware is involved

To be clear in Empire's case though, the games required an online check to be able to play them, when they went away the games literally went away, as in the game was there on your hard drive but would give an error when trying to start and would then play as if it were just the demo or/and not at all. Same with tons of mobile games, and I know, yeah, mobile games, but still, that's a ton of art, music/etc. game stuff that's just gone once the servers are taken down and on top of that you can no longer play the game (and those are games squeezing people for money regularly instead of just buying once too).

And yeah obviously one can just pirate all of this stuff and get hacks and workarounds for many games that phone home, but that like you say just shows how stupid game licensing is in general when the best or in some cases only option for playing a game is to pirate it.

So I can totally understand why that would make someone want to stay mostly physical if they have the space.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Neo Rasa posted:

I buy games digitally constantly, way more than I do physical, but me games no longer being able to be purchased may as well be the same thing because of how much unique hardware is involved

To be clear in Empire's case though, the games required an online check to be able to play them, when they went away the games literally went away, as in the game was there on your hard drive but would give an error when trying to start and would then play as if it were just the demo or/and not at all. Same with tons of mobile games, and I know, yeah, mobile games, but still, that's a ton of art, music/etc. game stuff that's just gone once the servers are taken down and on top of that you can no longer play the game (and those are games squeezing people for money regularly instead of just buying once too).

And yeah obviously one can just pirate all of this stuff and get hacks and workarounds for many games that phone home, but that like you say just shows how stupid game licensing is in general when the best or in some cases only option for playing a game is to pirate it.

So I can totally understand why that would make someone want to stay mostly physical if they have the space.

I guess my point was mostly just that buying physical isn't going to protect from any of that stuff, because with modern consoles and the push to being always online it's almost as trivial for a publisher to yank the rights to the game and then you're right back to looking for a legally grey way to circumvent those things even if you have a disc. Never mind the fact that a ton of the stuff mentioned in those posts weren't ever available physically on modern consoles to begin with.

What really needs to happen is a massive court case establishing that a purchase of a game is a purchase of said game and not the bullshit license garbage that every modern game, whether digital or physical, purports to be. But with all the Trumpist judges in play and the makeup of the Supreme Court currently being what it is, I don't exactly see a case like this going in consumers' favor anytime soon.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

DrNutt posted:

I guess my point was mostly just that buying physical isn't going to protect from any of that stuff, because with modern consoles and the push to being always online it's almost as trivial for a publisher to yank the rights to the game and then you're right back to looking for a legally grey way to circumvent those things even if you have a disc. Never mind the fact that a ton of the stuff mentioned in those posts weren't ever available physically on modern consoles to begin with.

What really needs to happen is a massive court case establishing that a purchase of a game is a purchase of said game and not the bullshit license garbage that every modern game, whether digital or physical, purports to be. But with all the Trumpist judges in play and the makeup of the Supreme Court currently being what it is, I don't exactly see a case like this going in consumers' favor anytime soon.

That just makes them even more important to me though. :)

Another thing regarding physical releases that can already hurt your game is patches. So like, Uncharted, Arkham games, etc. AAA huge marketing push stuff, like these are major major games that will get ported forever and will be maintained. But I think of the MASSIVE number of games from the 360/PS3 that shipped on disk with game breaking stuff where your saves would get messed up. Or with controls that had some major issue that had to be patched, like once those respective networks are down you still have the game, but not necessarily the version of the game the dev and publisher intended. But that's also interesting from a preservation standpoint because like which version of the game is the "best" one for that stuff.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm sorry but I'm having a lot of trouble parsing this sentence. What are you saying?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

gaj70 posted:

Youtuber Virtue Signaling.txt

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

DrNutt posted:

I lost all access to my digital purchases from Telltale, plus my Wii virtual console purchases.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
Me: hmm internet's out, guess I'll do some gaming

Steam: lol good luck

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

gaj70 posted:

According to Steam alone that would be literally 500+ games at this point for me, and I already tossed my old consoles because of the DVD cases of games I had no intention of ever playing again. At some point you need to make room for a significant other to live in your household, at which point becomes clear which things in your life are things and which are just poo poo that should go to the used book store.

Instead we collect blu rays lol

Name Change fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 11, 2019

SacrificialGoat
Oct 8, 2003

Catjaw is a hero of the people

ryonguy posted:

Me: hmm internet's out, guess I'll do some gaming

Steam: lol good luck

Steam has an offline mode

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

So too does life :actually:

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Sodomy Hussein posted:

According to Steam alone that would be literally 500+ games at this point for me, and I already tossed my old consoles because of the DVD cases of games I had no intention of ever playing again. At some point you need to make room for a significant other to live in your household, at which point becomes clear which things in your life are things and which are just poo poo that should go to the used book store.

Instead we collect blu rays lol

I don't think that is a physical or digital issue but more of buying games that one never plays and hoarding them. Like I have never installed 90% of the games on my steam library and have no plans to as they were all free or part of some bundle, I would not go around picking up free copies of games and hoard them so that issue doesn't really exist for physical games for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Did you never buy publisher antology pack that had only some games you wanted to play, because it was cheaper than buying them separately? Because I have some physical copies of games I'll never play from that and I went almost full digital ages ago.