Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

Amethyst posted:

The rorting of jobseekers by dodgy JSAs, as well as systematic under-resourcing by a hostile government should be a massive political scandal, but it isn't, because Australians are mainly neoliberals.

It's outrageous. Good luck.
it's hosed. the capitalists exploit the fact that you only have time to think about the sadistic circus that is australian welfare while you're unemployed and reliant on it. as soon as you get a job, that job takes up most of your energy, and so the working people who have the resources to make a difference aren't thinking about welfare and the people on welfare are too ground under the boot heel of the system to do anything to publicise or represent their case. they're in poverty, fighting to meet rising costs of everything, usually further disadvantaged or marginalised in some way that makes their lives difficult, and constantly jumping through ridiculous hoops imposed on them to make them "earn" their basic survival. to get their message out they have to actively fight the australian media, on a financial/resource budget of zero; or less than zero, because it's plastic fever dream season and most people are in debt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
i'm working with a few people in their final years of high school and their absolute dread of ever being unemployed and having to go on centrelink is heartbreaking, because it is common knowledge in that age group that centrelink hates you and wants you to die

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
In better news it's the inaugural Victorian First Peoples' Assembly! Members are about to give their first speeches.

LIVESTREAM: https://www.firstpeoplesvic.org/?fbclid=IwAR0rPV6quKG7cOXKarmxjNzmCcYxcdUkdT-J-_L881O77uuErdh767zfPPM

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
I think this is a good idea but it doesn't seem to have gotten off the ground at all

https://unemployedworkersunion.com/

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Amethyst posted:

I think this is a good idea but it doesn't seem to have gotten off the ground at all

https://unemployedworkersunion.com/

It absolutely has! They've been doing a great job of advocating for and helping out people on newstart (and other payments).

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Oh that's good maybe they can help out meteor

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
https://www.pedestrian.tv/news/grilld-rsa-training-2019/

quote:

A current employee at troubled burger chain Grill’d has revealed she was serving alcohol without a mandatory Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) certificate for over a year, in direct violation of Victorian state legislation.
It’s the latest in a series of scandals facing Grill’d around its training practices, with the Fair Work Ombudsman confirming last week it is investigating the burger chain.
Sarah*, 20, who has worked at a Victorian franchise since 2018, told PEDESTRIAN.TV she worked for approximately 14 months without completing her RSA, which she says was due to Grill’d repeatedly delaying the training.
She believes it was an effort to keep her wages at $14.50, which is $3.50 below the standard part-time employee wage of $18.00 and $4.99 below the current national minimum wage of $19.49.

Sarah says that she felt “pressured” into entering the traineeship when she was employed in mid-2018, but thought she’d be getting paid the standard minimum wage – which was $18.58 an hour in 2018. She was surprised to find she had been put on $14.50 an hour, a figure that wouldn’t budge until after she’d finished the traineeship.
Sarah said that she had completed her training entirely outside of work hours, cramming it all in as quickly as possible so she could bump up to the promised pay rate.
“That first year was a little hectic for me,” she said.
“I took on a big workload because I had to pay rent. And because you get paid so little you have to add on shifts, even though it’s stressing you out. I probably worked maybe 30 hours a week. I had full-time study as well.”

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Pretty sure the main reason Grill'd has a minor scandal every 3 months is that they exclusively hire the kind of person who reads junkee

The same thing would happen to every other restaurant if they did likewise

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

A few days after I told Centrelink I had a new job and wanted to start reporting income they cancelled my payments backdated to the day before I informed them of the new job, for the reason of non-compliance

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

City is blanketed with thicker smoke than ever and the PM is on TV talking about loving religious "freedom"

The news dutifully follows along with him and gives full coverage to this extremely important poo poo.

Honestly the media political class deserve to be mass imprisoned

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

At least the ABC is giving full attention to the fires.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Religious freedom to breathe eucalyptus smoke.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

https://twitter.com/Mordd_IndyMedia/status/1203878194459234304

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

gonna need verification on that one but yikes if true

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

vicpol staging their own thermopylae against the innumerable persians festival punters

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Oh right, the religious discrimination bill is a bill to allow the religious to discriminate.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
lol office buildings across Sydney’s CBD evacuated as their fire alarms ping from the bushfire smoke.

Extremely business as usual day.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Solemn Sloth posted:

lol office buildings across Sydney’s CBD evacuated as their fire alarms ping from the bushfire smoke.

Extremely business as usual day.

I think you'll find they're ringing their bells for the religiously discriminated against.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I'm not sure if that sentence was grammatically correct, but I have gastro and don't give a poo poo.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Well I mean, I obviously do give a lot of poo poo today.

Mlmp.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Imagine being as loving spineless as the Australian labor party, Jesus

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Solemn Sloth posted:

Imagine being as loving spineless as the Australian labor party, Jesus

If Corbyn does "get smashed" as you've all predicted, I expect Albomania take it as proof that leftism is bad and to double down on the Liberal Party But From a Decade Ago policy platform,

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Don Dongington posted:

If Corbyn does "get smashed" as you've all predicted, I expect Albomania take it as proof that leftism is bad and to double down on the Liberal Party But From a Decade Ago policy platform,

They don't need proof to do that.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
So what impact will all this disruption in Australia's largest city have on ~*the economy*~?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I marched against John Howard but he showed leadership in a way Scott Morrison is refusing to

Van Badham

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Howard privatised the unemployment industry like a mad oval office

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Im going exercise my democratic right to murder a politician protest and attend the rally in Sydney tomorrow

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

BBJoey posted:

I marched against John Howard but he showed leadership in a way Scott Morrison is refusing to

Van Badham

van badpinions

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Keen for smoke to now be a forecast on the weather predictions.

Smokey with spots of acid rain.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I keep seeing tiny kids outside despite the air being thick as a smoke cake, and I judge the parents

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

The Peccadillo posted:

I keep seeing tiny kids outside despite the air being thick as a smoke cake, and I judge the parents

that scene from chernobyl where skarsgard looks outside at the kids playing

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdNVO65Gdcs

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The Peccadillo posted:

I saw several morons driving down the M7 with all the windows down and kids in the back seat.

part of me thinks people like this hot hosed weather.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/LanceCalhoon/status/1204206513629188096?s=20

Visible Stink
Mar 31, 2010

Got a light, handsome?

Laserface posted:

Im going exercise my democratic right to murder a politician protest and attend the rally in Sydney tomorrow

Same, but the one in Brisbane. I’ve never been to a protest or been politically inclined before but I’ve come to realise that’s exactly what the govt and the bootlickers want. They want you to keep your head down and accept your fate. gently caress that and gently caress them. I can only hope I’m not the only one who has been spurred to action by the fires and this might be the beginning of the turning of the tide. Maybe, maybe not, time will tell. I’m still going to go to the rally and scream as loud as I can.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

bobvonunheil posted:

So what impact will all this disruption in Australia's largest city have on ~*the economy*~?

is something happening in melbourne?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Amid reports of NSW firefighters crowdfunding or seeking donations for water and food, the prime minister has rejected suggestions that Australia's volunteer firefighters should be professionalised. Asked about concerns over how long the tens of thousands of volunteers should be expected to continue without pay, Scott Morrison rejected calls for more help for firefighters, saying they “want to be there”.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It's impressive that every time I think, "I can have no lower opinion of Scott Morrison" I'm proven wrong

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

bobvonunheil posted:

i read a thing last month saying the impact of the fires is going to be enough to push australia into recession and that was from before sydney got all hosed up. imo its probably nothing complete decimation of the public service cant fix (make worse)

https://independentaustralia.net/politics/politics-display/fires-rage-as-berejiklian-ignores-advice-and-decimates-whats-left,13304

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

When will Centrelink make RFS service a condition of Newstart payments?