Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

credburn posted:

Hey gang, I've been tasked with finding some ambient "music" to represent a scene in a play where a person is talking to Death for a while. He's dead, like in between worlds, you see. The tone of the play is really lighthearted, so I don't want just a drone and spooky poo poo. I wanted something more along the lines of, say, the intro to Electric Light Orchestra's "Fire On High," something with weird otherworldly noises and tones and such, or the Twilight Zone, but without the music. The problem is, I have a gently caress of a hard time trying to find anything via Bing or Google that isn't just a long Gothic drone, or an incredible amount of these YouTube videos which are like a seven second loop but "for one hour" or "for ten hours," almost all of which are just a drone or a fart sound repeated a thousand times. Anyone know a good source for this kind of thing, or a playlist on YouTube, or... I don't know, I feel like all this stuff is probably out there, but I don't know the keywords that don't just come up with drones and fart sounds.

Edit: Or suggestions of a good track would suffice. It's a local production and falls under various copyright laws that let us use whatever.

So much depends on the tone and mood you want,and how long it needs to be, but here are some possibles:

Vangelis - several of the tracks from Albedo 0.39, especially Mare Tranquillitatis or Freefall
Kraftwerk - Tour de France etape 3
Dylan - Blood in my Eyes
Carmina Burana - Ecce Gratum or In Tratina
Libera - Gaudete
The Doors - Crystal Ship
Deep Forest - Lament
Mystery, or A Spiritual Place from the Xenoblade Chronicles extended soundtrack (advantage is you can loop them)

I didn't have time tio do links for all of these but they are all on youtube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Dumb Lowtax posted:

That's awesome.

The fact that there's a whole study of and entire books of this type of thinking makes me wonder that if I'm programming a game AI or something that not all "memories" have to be high-fidelity copies of an event like computer data. Why not make memories instead be just secondary records (like your vine that grew around the exact shape of a long-gone tree).

It kind of reinforces my desire to experiment with systems where virtual agents try to map out space in terms of simple things like "which locomotor outputs were being requested, at the time of the sensed event", as opposed to trying to make a high fidelity copy of the event itself. Even though a computer can go that far, if it doesn't try to then the results might be more realistic and even more flexible. When I was doing research on the idea a few years back I thought of ways such a system could be re-purposed for a variety of tasks that a more literal memory system couldn't, for example.

Keeping perfect records of everything is a terrible idea for the brain for a lot of reasons. First thing is where the hell would you put all that? Try recording everything in a video game and see how fast you run out of memory. Second thing is that you forget things for good reasons sometimes. People with photographic memories tend to struggle with depression and all of the clown car of issues that come along with that. Third is that like 99% of all the things that happened to you are just not relevant at any random now you're in. Do you need to remember that time you poo poo your pants when you were 3 when you're driving in lovely weather? No, you most certainly do not.

This is one of the reasons AI is difficult to program, incidentally; you obviously need to decide what information it should be paying attention to but more importantly what it should not. Your brain is doing that all the loving time. It's astonishing how much information the drat thing is tuning out at any given moment.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Photoshop 6:

I need some stencils cut from stencil film for some model airplanes I'm building. I created vector paths of the shapes in Photoshop and plan to send them to a shop with a laser cutter to have them cut. How do I export the paths or create a vector layer (like text) and then export it in a format Corel Draw can read? I tried exporting paths to illustrator as an .ai file, but when I reopen that file in Photoshop, the paths are gone. I need very clean cuts, so it is critical that the laser cutter uses a vector file and not a raster image. I've never laser cut stencils before, so this may all be a moot point if the laser cannot cut a clean line.

Here is a rasterized version of the file in question:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

SkunkDuster posted:

Photoshop 6:

I need some stencils cut from stencil film for some model airplanes I'm building. I created vector paths of the shapes in Photoshop and plan to send them to a shop with a laser cutter to have them cut. How do I export the paths or create a vector layer (like text) and then export it in a format Corel Draw can read? I tried exporting paths to illustrator as an .ai file, but when I reopen that file in Photoshop, the paths are gone. I need very clean cuts, so it is critical that the laser cutter uses a vector file and not a raster image. I've never laser cut stencils before, so this may all be a moot point if the laser cannot cut a clean line.
Most laser cutters can take .svg files, which photoshop can export.
Also did you mean Photoshop CS6? Pretty sure Photoshop 6 came out in the late 90s.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Powered Descent posted:

Maybe something like a Shepard tone, either rising or falling?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzNzgsAE4F0

This is handy, thanks!

And thanks for your suggestions, fellas. I had considered a Gregorian chant, but it didn't work right the first time -- but actually, loving with the reverb and echo and layering it in with some Cthullu drone gave it that "in between life and death" sort of feel I was looking for. I also added some distant echos of Sweet Dreams weaving in and out. I hope the director likes this, because I spent a stupid amount of hours on a three minute track. I hope he doesn't come back with "just use (easy to find read-made sound)" but we'll see!

credburn fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 10, 2019

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

credburn posted:

This is handy, thanks!

And thanks for your suggestions, fellas. I had considered a Gregorian chant, but it didn't work right the first time -- but actually, loving with the reverb and echo and layering it in with some Cthullu drone gave it that "in between life and death" sort of feel I was looking for. I also added some distant echos of Sweet Dreams weaving in and out. I hope the director likes this, because I spent a stupid amount of hours on a three minute track. I hope he doesn't come back with "just use (easy to find read-made sound)" but we'll see!

Can you share your result? I’m interested!

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so a black hole is a star the collapses into an infinitesimally small, infinitely dense point. a neutron star is sort of similar, but the original star wasn't massive enough to form a point, so it's a ball.

so what the hell is gravastar? i think it's formed similarly, but is somehow different?

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

What's the difference between dish soap and regular hand soap? Would using dish soap to wash your hands after using the restroom be the same as using regular soap?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Dish soap has agents in it to break down grease and disintegrate solids. As such they're always (at least to my knowledge) carcinogenic. Hand soap is designed to kill germs (and maybe moisturise), so it contains less active agents.

This isn't saying "dish soap will give you cancer" but that you should be more careful with washing it off than hand soap which is designed to be safer on human skin. In fact you should really use washing up gloves for washing up!

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Dish soap will strip off your natural oils and if you keep using it for long enough, you'll develop a nasty case of dry skin. If I do washing up without wearing gloves, after about a week I'll have dry bits of skin all along my fingers. And IIRC hand soap strips away oils on your hand but to a lesser extent, it doesn't kill germs as much as just allowing the water to carry them off your skin without the oils holding them in place.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Dish detergent chat: I recently bought a bottle of Fairy liquid dish soap, and am somewhat startled at how effective it is as compared to current US brands. I use dish soap for a lot of things not just dishes. For example, I put a minute squeeze of it into the bucket where I was washing our hot tub filters, and they came out impossibly white and clean within a couple of minutes. (I usually have to soak them and then scrub to remove hard water scale.)

I am not a chemist, but it doesn't (so far anyway) seem any harsher on my hands than other brands. But it's such a dramatic difference that reading here, I'm now wondering whether there's a dark side and it's going to dissolve my plumbing or kill my endocrine system or something. (Hopefully that's an outlandish exaggeration.)

Anybody here notice similar, or know what the difference is?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

TofuDiva posted:

Dish detergent chat: I recently bought a bottle of Fairy liquid dish soap, and am somewhat startled at how effective it is as compared to current US brands. I use dish soap for a lot of things not just dishes. For example, I put a minute squeeze of it into the bucket where I was washing our hot tub filters, and they came out impossibly white and clean within a couple of minutes. (I usually have to soak them and then scrub to remove hard water scale.)

I am not a chemist, but it doesn't (so far anyway) seem any harsher on my hands than other brands. But it's such a dramatic difference that reading here, I'm now wondering whether there's a dark side and it's going to dissolve my plumbing or kill my endocrine system or something. (Hopefully that's an outlandish exaggeration.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxmWuoIjaJw

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TofuDiva posted:

It's full of effective, but nasty poo poo that doesn't get adequately process out by water treatment plants.

https://theecologist.org/2009/feb/05/behind-label-fairy-liquid

This is like a lot of other cleaners in the US that "used to be better" because they included TSP.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Motronic posted:

It's full of effective, but nasty poo poo that doesn't get adequately process out by water treatment plants.

https://theecologist.org/2009/feb/05/behind-label-fairy-liquid

This is like a lot of other cleaners in the US that "used to be better" because they included TSP.

Aww heck. Thanks. That's pretty much what I hoped wasn't the case, but of course it is. The ingredients listed on the bottle looked fairly innocuous, but the lack of specificity about the surfactants was a bit of a red flag in retrospect.

I hate it when being suspicious of stuff that works well turns out to be the right move, but there it is. I genuinely appreciate the information.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

gently caress aquatic life, I need my dishes to be absolutely sparkling /s

When you think about the sheer destruction happening on a daily basis, really makes you realise you're a part of the problem cause literally anything your average Joe does is just adding to the monumental gently caress up that is our current environment. Becoming aware of the problem just makes you feel like a piece of poo poo, I notice every piece of one-use plastic and non-recyclable items and it makes you realise ignorance is bliss. The stuff I do doesn't even put a dent in the overall problem.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

For what it's worth I use Fairy and just always make sure that if it directly contacts my skin, I wash my hands with other soap as well just in case.

That said I have OCD so that's not surprising.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Can someone explain the chicken sandwich fad to me? These things have existed forever why is it the new sriracha?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Fads aren't rational. That said let's just throw a dart and *thud* it's because people realised how much beef contributes to climate change.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

As someone who stays far away from facebook as possible, can I get the details of the lowtax response there regarding the recent FYAD events?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Here you go:

(for the record, someone posted this elsewhere, I'm not the person in the write-a-comment bit; I look like poo poo)

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Leper's colony is always the best place to start for questions like that

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Leper's colony is always the best place to start for questions like that

Nah Lowtax's response has gone viral on goon chatrooms.

Positively, I might add.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Polio Vax Scene posted:

As someone who stays far away from facebook as possible, can I get the details of the lowtax response there regarding the recent FYAD events?

A thread was opened in QCS to ask about FYAD's transphobic thread, with lots of people contributing posts from FYAD that contained extremely awful things. Which provoked the shitheads to emerge and tell us about how trans people are bad, actually. Which led to the mods taking a stance and doing something and I'm so glad, SA is one of my favorite places and I'm glad it won't tolerate that kind of behavior.

e: Found the original thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3905983

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Well thanks thread for letting me know "agp" was a thing. Sort of. Amazing that SA can still generate drama when the average poster is like 28+ years old.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

TheLastManStanding posted:

Most laser cutters can take .svg files, which photoshop can export.
Also did you mean Photoshop CS6? Pretty sure Photoshop 6 came out in the late 90s.

Yes, you are correct that I meant CS6. I don't see .svg as an export option, but I looked into it some more and am going to try .eps format. Now it's just a matter of learning to use paths and shape layers. I've been avoiding it long enough.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Tesseraction posted:

Dish soap has agents in it to break down grease and disintegrate solids. As such they're always (at least to my knowledge) carcinogenic. Hand soap is designed to kill germs (and maybe moisturise), so it contains less active agents.

This isn't saying "dish soap will give you cancer" but that you should be more careful with washing it off than hand soap which is designed to be safer on human skin. In fact you should really use washing up gloves for washing up!

This is not true.

You only need gloves to wash dishes or clothes by hand for hours at a time, i.e. as a job. Any soap will gently caress your hands up in that situation.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

It doesn't have to be consecutive hours, you can still gently caress your hands up if you regularly spend 30 minutes washing dishes a day. By the end of the week you'll be dried out, and if you keep going you'll get scabbing and blisters where skin is just tearing.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah obviously hours will do it but 30 minutes gives people like me delightfully painful dry skin. I don't have any skin conditions to my knowledge.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Qubee posted:

if you regularly spend 30 minutes washing dishes a day.
How do you have so many dishes to wash?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Family of four and the ungrateful bastards don't pitch in?

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

Tesseraction posted:

Family of four and the ungrateful bastards don't pitch in?

"living with other people" and "actually cooking food" just don't compute for some people. frickin nerds

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Cooking from scratch can quickly pile up dirty stuff. We'll get cravings or brainstorm dinner ideas and more often than not, we're buying ingredients / prepping / cooking in one evening. That's a fair few utensils, chopping boards, a couple of pots and pans, and then plates. That's not even considering poo poo from breakfast / misc stuff we've used like cups / bowls / whatever. We're slowly trying to adopt weekly meal prepping on Sunday though to cut back on mid-week hassle. And as soon as I can figure out how to put a dishwasher in the kitchen without it looking out of place and running hoses across the floor, we'll have that to do most of the grunt work.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I'll never not have a dishwasher

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Didn't get much of a choice in university.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
I learned a long time ago that I am just not a glove person as far as dishes are concerned. I do use them when cleaning floors, tub/shower though. I do have a dishwasher, but it takes us about a week to fill it enough to justify running it. TBH I've had more trouble with hand soap being harsh than I've ever had with dish liquid.

For years I've also been in the habit of working a little vitamin e oil into my hands and nails each night, so that probably helps.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Do you go for moisturising or non-moisturising soap? The cheaper, non-moisturising stuff can cause that problem.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Tesseraction posted:

Do you go for moisturising or non-moisturising soap? The cheaper, non-moisturising stuff can cause that problem.

I use Dove or EveryManJack now, or a mild shampoo with a squirt of olive oil added to the bottle. They seem to be ok. After arguing with soap for way too many years, I finally realized that I'm probably allergic to something that's common in consumer-grade hand soaps but not in dish soap. I've never figured out exactly what.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Weird. I definitely prefer using dove when it comes to solid soap. Coal tar for my feet.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

TofuDiva posted:

I do have a dishwasher, but it takes us about a week to fill it enough to justify running it.

Do you just not cook or eat at home?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Slimy Hog posted:

Do you just not cook or eat at home?

We cook almost everything at home, but are fond of making big batches of something and portioning it for use over the course of the week. We usually have a bunch of corningware lidded soup mugs in the fridge with a couple of different things in them so all that has to happen on weeknights is grab one, heat it, and add a salad or crudites.

Takeout pizza or chinese a couple of times a month, but basically it's a simple routine and all I have to wash after dinner is a couple of mugs, lids, maybe a salad plate, spoons or forks, and glasses.