Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Platystemon posted:

Oh, sorry, I thought you were the person who had a very similar question a month ago following up on my advice there.

Separating them isn’t that much of a risk, but if you don’t have a good reason to keep both plants, there’s no reason to do it.

Yup that is the post that I read making me think I needed to cut one stem off, I see I read it wrong. I had no reason to separate it other than I thought it would help it grow

edit: I didn't realize that was only 2 pages back sorry, I wanna see more goon plants!

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I stopped by the nursery today and bought that turmeric plant.

The weather has not been kind to it.

On the way home I stopped by the overpriced market looking for some less common fruits and got some ~organic~ tumeric for thirty USD per kilogram. At that price, it might be a comparatively good deal to buy the plant and dig up the rhizomes.

Left is the organic stuff, right is the old stuff that’s been in my refrigerator for a couple of weeks.

Platystemon posted:

Plant Jersey cabbage and make some walking sticks.

I unexpectedly came across these at the nursery. I thought I was going to have to grow them from seeds purchased online.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I had no reason to separate it other than I thought it would help it grow

It will.

The two trunks will grow into each other and it’s not good for either plant. The stress of untangling the roots and repotting is also bad for a plant.

Therefore, the safest way to get one healthy plant is to cut down the other.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Platystemon posted:

It will.

The two trunks will grow into each other and it’s not good for either plant. The stress of untangling the roots and repotting is also bad for a plant.

Therefore, the safest way to get one healthy plant is to cut down the other.

:doh: Shoot I gotcha now thanks again. Hope I cut the right wire

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Platystemon posted:

Galangal is another ginger relative you could look into. There are four species under that name in the family. I think Alpinia galanga is the one I get at the market. It has a gingery taste and what I would describe as radish characteristics.

e: Garden.org’s database lists A. galanga as being more cold tolerant than common ginger but less than yellow turmeric.

Cool. Something else to look for the next time I'm at the Asian market. Thanks!

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Ginger chat: I've got my sprouted knobs hardened off and now soaking for planting tomorrow :)

'nother plant question: Does anyone have a favorite bearded iris that's not too finicky to grow? I love them. They grew in great drifts where I grew up, almost to the point where people considered them a nuisance and left bags of them on neighbors' porches as often as they did zucchini. Now in my garden I've got one small patch of yellow iris that doesn't seem to want to invade anywhere, and I'd like to add another variety.

(I realize that it's too late now to plant rhizomes this year, but it'd be nice to have some in mind to daydream about for next summer...)

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Hey, looking for some advice from the Gardening Goons hive mind. We bought a place a few months ago and I'm in the process of turning the front yard into not so much of a barren wasteland. For context here is a photo from before we moved in:

:gonk: :gonk: :gonk:

:gonk: :gonk: :gonk:

Up to now I've pressure washed that concrete, have a bunch of pot plants in, and have put a couple of citrus trees and a peach in that gravel bed to the right. It's actually just soil under there, however thanks to the previous owners just dumping gravel on it before selling without putting any weed matting down I had to spend a couple weeks pulling all the gravel off in order to get weed matting down and to be able to dig some good pits for the trees. The longer term plan is to put grass or some other ground cover in that area, but not until the trees are well enough established to deal with the competition.

For the moment I'm looking at some kind of low hedging around the bed. Right now I've got a couple dozen rosemary cuttings growing in containers, and am planning a rosemary hedge for at least partway around it. Does anyone have any other suggestions of plants good for hedging? We're in Adelaide, so a Mediterranean climate that gets hot summers and very little frost.

Beardcrumb
Sep 24, 2018

An absolute gronk with a face like a chewed mango.
Nice space to work with!

Given the climate, I would recommend Hedge Saltbush. Being a native it has low water and nutrition requirements compared to introduced species like Box, plus you can use it for cooking because it's bushtucker.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Beardcrumb posted:

Nice space to work with!

Given the climate, I would recommend Hedge Saltbush. Being a native it has low water and nutrition requirements compared to introduced species like Box, plus you can use it for cooking because it's bushtucker.

Having a look at that it seems like it may get a bit wide for hedging at the edge of the bed, but there's a spot near the back closer to the fence it would be perfect for! Thanks.

For reference this is the kinda idea I have in my head of what this space might look like in a few years. Planning on growing a bougainvillea on the garage type room on the left.

Forgive the quick lunchtime paint job.

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Dec 10, 2019

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Senor Tron posted:

Having a look at that it seems like it may get a bit wide for hedging at the edge of the bed, but there's a spot near the back closer to the fence it would be perfect for! Thanks.

For reference this is the kinda idea I have in my head of what this space might look like in a few years. Planning on growing a bougainvillea on the garage type room on the left.

I don't have really great suggestions for Australia specific plants but just wanted to say that your goal looks really good. id even go a step further and have some addition pots around the hedge for annuals or really cool blooming shrubs like camellias. also your drawing made me lol

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Senor Tron posted:

For the moment I'm looking at some kind of low hedging around the bed. Right now I've got a couple dozen rosemary cuttings growing in containers, and am planning a rosemary hedge for at least partway around it. Does anyone have any other suggestions of plants good for hedging? We're in Adelaide, so a Mediterranean climate that gets hot summers and very little frost.

I would 100% throw some citrus fruit trees in pots out there, seems like they do well where you live? Tons of potential in your new spot, very nice

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Oil of Paris posted:

I don't have really great suggestions for Australia specific plants but just wanted to say that your goal looks really good. id even go a step further and have some addition pots around the hedge for annuals or really cool blooming shrubs like camellias. also your drawing made me lol

Camellias look really promising, found a good of articles saying that they grow well here, thanks!

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I would 100% throw some citrus fruit trees in pots out there, seems like they do well where you live? Tons of potential in your new spot, very nice

Citrus does fantastically here yeah, fingers crossed that the work I did digging out pits and filling them with good soil was enough to get them started. Obviously I want the fruit off them, but long term I'd prefer a bigger tree to shade the front of the house a bit (it faces directly West so gets lots of sun in the morning). Already made the mistake of putting a small lemon in when it was still a bit too cold and it died. Put the newer trees in once it got warmer.

Here's what it's currently looking like:

Still got some pressure washing to go. The terracotta pots on the edge of the gravel bed are temporary, just wanted to have something there for the moment but they won't do well once we properly hit summer. The Yucca plants are all cuttings we brought from the last place we rented. The ones on the right can go into the ground soon along with that large succulent plant, the others will probably stay in pots. I want to move them further forward though and probably some kind of edging to make another shallow gravel bed in front of the bedroom window that I'll put a ton of potted succulents and cacti into. Would love to put more potted citrus in but not really sure where I'd do it. The gate is aligned with the right half of the driveway, but we park on the left side. As a bonus in this photo you can see some of the palm which is in the yard and how it's recovering from the previous owners pruning it by simply cutting off the ends of all the fronds. :wtc:

It's gonna take a lot of work, but I think this could be quite nice when it's all done.

Luckily the back yard while also neglected actually has some nice stuff in it, including this lovely fella:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That’s a gorgeous jacaranda.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Platystemon posted:

That’s a gorgeous jacaranda.

There is a lovely jacaranda near my house I really want to get a good photograph of

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Those are loving beautiful trees, wow. Don't think I've ever seen one.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

One of the first things I did when I moved into my place was to plant a little jacaranda sapling. It's been growing for six years now and this sprint it finally had a really good show of flowers.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Senor Tron posted:

Camellias look really promising, found a good of articles saying that they grow well here, thanks!

Not that familiar with your local climate because I am in the SE US, but camellias usually want some high shade in my experience. They ARE wonderful, but you might look at the much tougher Camellia sassanqua instead of Camellia japonica for your hot and very sunny looking garden. Both like an acidic soil/potting mix. There are some cute, low growing sassanqua varieties I can't think of the name of right now that might be neat. Kumquats are a pretty citrus that can be pruned into a hedge if you want. Rosemary is great too. Old fashioned climbing roses would probably do well climbing on the wall and they aren't fussy at all. 'Clothilde Soupert' is a great one with a great fragrance. Agapanthus is a great easy perennial for warm climates that would look nice in the ground or in a pot.

If it were me, I'd pull up all that gravel and plant perennial flowering plants, but I dunno what your rainfall/water situation is. In my imagination all of Australia is always on fire and in a drought-no idea if that's relevant to your area.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Internet Explorer posted:

I worked at a school once where the entry path way was an Arbor of jacaranda trees and for a few days a year it was a beautiful purple carpet on the way to the office

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Internet Explorer posted:

They can take freezing temperatures but not a whole lot below that, so you won’t see them in Europe or most of the United States.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Not that familiar with your local climate because I am in the SE US, but camellias usually want some high shade in my experience. They ARE wonderful, but you might look at the much tougher Camellia sassanqua instead of Camellia japonica for your hot and very sunny looking garden. Both like an acidic soil/potting mix. There are some cute, low growing sassanqua varieties I can't think of the name of right now that might be neat. Kumquats are a pretty citrus that can be pruned into a hedge if you want. Rosemary is great too. Old fashioned climbing roses would probably do well climbing on the wall and they aren't fussy at all. 'Clothilde Soupert' is a great one with a great fragrance. Agapanthus is a great easy perennial for warm climates that would look nice in the ground or in a pot.

If it were me, I'd pull up all that gravel and plant perennial flowering plants, but I dunno what your rainfall/water situation is. In my imagination all of Australia is always on fire and in a drought-no idea if that's relevant to your area.

I probably wouldn't put another tree in that bed, but a large potted Kumquat is a good idea since they can be kept to a reasonable size and look quite nice.

The gravel definitely isn't a long-term solution, but for now it's basically just there to keep weeds down while the trees get established. In a couple of years I intend to either pull it off and put some drought/shade tolerant grass down, or plant a ton of ground cover plants like you describe.

Climbing roses are something we have considered (my wife is a fan of them), might do a half wine barrel planter in front of the bedroom window against the wall and grow one on that side.

Thanks for the Camellia Sassanqua clarification!

Since I mentioned it, this is what the rest of the backyard looks like. We've done basically nothing out here since moving in except for me spending a couple of days cutting old dead fronds off this palm (it had never been cleaned up, the giant pile of stuff in the corner of the yard is all what came off it):

No idea what these two things are in the foreground to the left, but they're nice and dense and offer good protection from the neighbours. In the back corner is a Loquat and a giant creeper that the previous owners let run wild and I'm going to have to pull back over the Christmas break. The lawn is basically a write-off until autumn when I'll pay some attention to it, the ground is such hard clay that it has giant cracks in it after just a couple of dry days.

This giant succulent (I think Elephant Bush?) is outside our kitchen window. Was thinking of putting up a trellis in front of the fence to the right and growing a Bougainvillea on it, but a climbing rose might be a better idea for weight:

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
All of that looks amazing, and I am now really longing to move to a climate like yours.

In the meantime, it's Wintry Mixing here, so I am fussing with house plants and have a (probably silly) question. What do folks here all do with exhausted potting soil?

Usually I just tip it into the compost pile or the garden (unless the plant that was in it developed fungus or something). But for soil that just seems tired and low on organics or other nutrients after a while, I wonder if people ever reclaim it or rejuvenate it for further use.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

TofuDiva posted:

All of that looks amazing, and I am now really longing to move to a climate like yours.

In the meantime, it's Wintry Mixing here, so I am fussing with house plants and have a (probably silly) question. What do folks here all do with exhausted potting soil?

Usually I just tip it into the compost pile or the garden (unless the plant that was in it developed fungus or something). But for soil that just seems tired and low on organics or other nutrients after a while, I wonder if people ever reclaim it or rejuvenate it for further use.
Have you considered selling it as ‘curated reclaimed artisanal potting soil’?

I just dump it in whatever corner/hole in the yard is convenient because I’m very lazy. It usually has a good texture even if it doesn’t have a ton of organic stuff left. Add a little sand and sterilize it and I bet it would be good for starting seeds/rooting cuttings where you don’t want much in the way of nutrients, but do want good water retention.

E: which reminds me I forgot to stick any rose cuttings before thanksgiving. Maybe it’s not too late.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 12, 2019

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Senor Tron posted:

We're in Adelaide, so a Mediterranean climate that gets hot summers and very little frost.

The city centre hasn’t frozen in coming up on forty years.

Grow your favourite tropical fruit, say mangoes.

Cherimoya will appreciate the Mediterranean climate.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Have you considered selling it as ‘curated reclaimed artisanal potting soil’?

I just dump it in whatever corner/hole in the yard is convenient because I’m very lazy. It usually has a good texture even if it doesn’t have a ton of organic stuff left. Add a little sand and sterilize it and I bet it would be good for starting seeds/rooting cuttings where you don’t want much in the way of nutrients, but do want good water retention.

E: which reminds me I forgot to stick any rose cuttings before thanksgiving. Maybe it’s not too late.

I love the curation idea. I'll start drawing up a business plan immediately!

Good idea for seed starting/rooting; that makes a lot of sense. To sterilize, do you just bake it, or are there alternatives that people prefer?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Okay.
I am finally getting around to fertilizing my trees in my newish house (they've needed it for a few months now, don't kill me I'm sorry), and most of them are citrus. So I got a couple bags of citrus blend fertilizer (i guess it's different?) But ill probably have a little extra.

Should i buy more general fertilizer for the non-citrus trees I want to fertilize (a couple figs, a couple peaches, a couple apples), or can I just toss this on them and call it good for now?

It'll likely be better than nothing, right? But it wouldn't be the best for the trees long-term.

E: clarification - I'm a big dum dum and I bought garden soil - the stuff with fertilizer in it that you use when planting new plants?
It's better than nothing for now, but my general question stands. Do I need different fertilizer for my citrus vs the other stuff?

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 14, 2019

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There’s nothing unusual about citrus fertiliser. It’s suitable for citrus, but it’s not unsuitable for most other plants. It’s marketing.

There are situations where you may want something else, like a fertiliser with lower nitrogen for mature plants that get pruned back to size regularly, or higher phosphorus for something that blooms profusely, but it’s a fine generalist. In fact, it’s arguably more of a generalist than an “all‐purpose” fertiliser that’s e.g. 20‒20‒20 in the U.S. system.

No one ever explains what “garden soil” is so I’ll do it here: it’s a mixture of real topsoil, straight from the ground, and stuff you’d find in soilless “potting soil”, stuff like ground fir bark, coconut husks, and vermiculite. It’s similar to what you’d get if you took your own topsoil and amended/conditioned it.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Platystemon posted:

There’s nothing unusual about citrus fertiliser. It’s suitable for citrus, but it’s not unsuitable for most other plants. It’s marketing.

There are situations where you may want something else, like a fertiliser with lower nitrogen for mature plants that get pruned back to size regularly, or higher phosphorus for something that blooms profusely, but it’s a fine generalist. In fact, it’s arguably more of a generalist than an “all‐purpose” fertiliser that’s e.g. 20‒20‒20 in the U.S. system.

No one ever explains what “garden soil” is so I’ll do it here: it’s a mixture of real topsoil, straight from the ground, and stuff you’d find in soilless “potting soil”, stuff like ground fir bark, coconut husks, and vermiculite. It’s similar to what you’d get if you took your own topsoil and amended/conditioned it.

Just be careful about how much you’re applying at once. 20-20-20 is a whole lot.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Thanks.
The garden section was like, empty, so I just kinda winged it.

E: Oh, can I also just say "gently caress guavas"?
I've tried to kill some of them, but they come back. They're like fruit zombies.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 14, 2019

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s true that it’s hard to overdose with kelp meal at 1‒0.1‒2, but ultimately, it’s in the dose. Concentrated, synthetic fertilizers can be used responsibly. 20‒20‒20 isn’t quite the fentanyl of fertilisers.

Don’t spread 20‒20‒20 like mulch. Don’t exceed the application rate on the package. When in doubt, go lower. Too fertiliser will at worst result in suboptimal growth rates. Yawn. Too much fertiliser can kill. Yikes.

Something I would stay away from is fertiliser spikes. These seem to be designed to create areas of overconcentration. If you have a thick enough layer of mulch for the nutrients to diffuse through before reaching the roots, they might not be hurting anything, but if you have a thick layer of much just mix some granulated fertiliser in with it.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Platystemon posted:

It’s true that it’s hard to overdose with kelp meal at 1‒0.1‒2, but ultimately, it’s in the dose. Concentrated, synthetic fertilizers can be used responsibly. 20‒20‒20 isn’t quite the fentanyl of fertilisers.

Don’t spread 20‒20‒20 like mulch. Don’t exceed the application rate on the package. When in doubt, go lower. Too fertiliser will at worst result in suboptimal growth rates. Yawn. Too much fertiliser can kill. Yikes.

Something I would stay away from is fertiliser spikes. These seem to be designed to create areas of overconcentration. If you have a thick enough layer of mulch for the nutrients to diffuse through before reaching the roots, they might not be hurting anything, but if you have a thick layer of much just mix some granulated fertiliser in with it.

Good tip on the spikes, I’m planning on fruit trees in a few years and I was wondering about those.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Senor Tron posted:

Would mandevilla work for that climbing vine around the garage?

Jelous of all the beautiful subtropical plants from my currently frigid shady Mid-Atlantic Zone 7b hovel.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Is this the correct thread to ask about growing my little tree?
I bought a yuzu tree but I live in England. I want to keep him in my living room but I’m struggling to work out what lighting to invest in? Is there something like a desk lamp I can buy and aim at him rather than the big hanging lamp packs with all fans and crap?
Thanks!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
IKEA sells a decent grow lamp (VÄXER) for ten pounds that you can screw into any E27 fixture. It’s not very powerful so I would use more than one. A half dozen wouldn’t be excessive for a good‐sized tree. Sunlight is bright.

e: You did say desk lamp, so one or two might do for now.

More serious grow lights have recently gone full‐spectrum and fanless, using large, aluminium‐clad circuit boards with hundreds of emitters. “Quantum board” is the brand name. For LEDs, they’re using Samsung’s LM401B or LM561C (slightly older and less efficient), which also make good search terms. They’re barebones hanging lamps, but they’re much better than the noisy purple beasts of a few years ago.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Thanks. It’s just I’m unable to hang anything above it so I want something I can shine at it from the side is all.
Or would it be possible to mount one of those boards sideways? Maybe that could work instead.
I originally planned on keeping the little fella on the windowsill but someone said the radiator will just kill it so unfortunately I need to think of something else :) thanks again!

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Bape Culture posted:

Thanks. It’s just I’m unable to hang anything above it so I want something I can shine at it from the side is all.
Or would it be possible to mount one of those boards sideways? Maybe that could work instead.
I originally planned on keeping the little fella on the windowsill but someone said the radiator will just kill it so unfortunately I need to think of something else :) thanks again!

Depending upon how large your tree is - there are a bunch of smallish, flexible gooseneck growlights out there, too. A while back I bought one that's 10 watts (for starting a particularly fussy seedling). I didn't have much hope for it with that low output, but it ended up working really well. Mine charges via USB, so I just have it clamped to a shelf and plugged into a little USB wall wart.

The one that I bought seems to have been superseded by this, but if you look at the page you'll see suggestions for quite a few others.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Anybody here in USDA Zone 5a or equivalent?

I have an unexpected opportunity to switch jobs. I love a lot about one of the cities I could be going to, but am wondering what implications 5a has for my gardening habit. Obviously, a shorter growing season and colder winter freezes, but I am having a bit of difficulty envisioning (or in some cases even looking up) what I could and could not grow. I've been in 7a for a very long time (and 11a before that).

I'd clearly have to coddle and protect my indoor dwarf lemon, gardenia, and cacti a lot more than I do now. From what I've been able to look up, the news would be really good for starting up with things like concord grapes or cherries, which I don't have now.

I don't mind adjusting to new plants, but I do have favorites. amd am wondering - assuming decent soil, water availability, and a sunny garden area - would there be enough growing season for heirloom tomatoes, chamomile, yarrow, iris, damask roses?

I am looking these up one by one, but I'd be very grateful for ideas and anecdotes.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.

TofuDiva posted:

Anybody here in USDA Zone 5a or equivalent?

I have an unexpected opportunity to switch jobs. I love a lot about one of the cities I could be going to, but am wondering what implications 5a has for my gardening habit. Obviously, a shorter growing season and colder winter freezes, but I am having a bit of difficulty envisioning (or in some cases even looking up) what I could and could not grow. I've been in 7a for a very long time (and 11a before that).

I'd clearly have to coddle and protect my indoor dwarf lemon, gardenia, and cacti a lot more than I do now. From what I've been able to look up, the news would be really good for starting up with things like concord grapes or cherries, which I don't have now.

I don't mind adjusting to new plants, but I do have favorites. amd am wondering - assuming decent soil, water availability, and a sunny garden area - would there be enough growing season for heirloom tomatoes, chamomile, yarrow, iris, damask roses?

I am looking these up one by one, but I'd be very grateful for ideas and anecdotes.

The only one I can’t speak to is the damask rose, but the rest will grow perfectly fine.

My indoor dwarf lemon and cacti definitely don’t do as well in the winter (indoors), but once winter is over they do fine. My windows are a little drafty, though, so YMMV.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

The only one I can’t speak to is the damask rose, but the rest will grow perfectly fine.

My indoor dwarf lemon and cacti definitely don’t do as well in the winter (indoors), but once winter is over they do fine. My windows are a little drafty, though, so YMMV.

Thanks, that's reassuring to hear! The damasks are part of a probably-doomed attempt to distill my own rose oil, so if I have to give them up I'll live with it.

(("Probably doomed" because it takes so, so many of them to get even a tiny bit of oil, which I knew going in, but still wanted to try.)

I confess that while I want to take this opportunity, I feel maybe a bit panicky at the thought of selling up here. I've spent almost 30 years nurturing my small, fully organic bit of land and watching herps and other wildlife move in, and when/if I sell, chances are the next owner won't care about or respect that. Sigh.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
re: light chat

my peppers don't have direct light anymore which I assume explains in part why they've looked so miserable recently.

I've started looking at the led lights the sell on indoor growing shops, but it's either expensive pro stuff or dubious showerhead bulbs with no mention of the actual emitter.

On the other hand I already use nice Osram leds which are pleasing to the eye and don't look like fire hazards. Can I just put two of those on a timer and hope my plants make it through winter ?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

My poor Yuccas. :(

We just had a few days in a row with temps in the mid 40s (C, 110+F) and despite giving them a ton of water most of the leaves fried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

After a near flooding event that luckily every one survived

I have elected to re-organise my garden space

It's looking pretty good and the shade cloth keeps everything nice and cool