Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
So the achievement for getting a good relationship with Kim bugged out on my first game, and never fired despite me having a very high good cop score.

I'm playing an unhinged, violent menace in the second playthrough, and didn't think Kim liked me at all, but apparently he does because the achievement fired unexpectedly at the best conceivable time:

I said Pinball sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Infinite Karma posted:

Inland Empire has some cowardly warnings, but I think most of them are trying to avoid finding out about/remembering Dora.

How do you find the name of the ex-something

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Enjoy posted:

If you ask about her in the endgame debrief with your squadmates they'll tell you

So I'm catching up on this thread after just finishing the game yesterday - I had a thought on the whole Volition/Klaasje argument that nobody seems to have brought up: Why is everyone so quick to trust Volition over the other skills? ALL of them have their own agendas at various points - why does Volition get the assumption of neutrality? I think the thing about that whole interaction is that while Volition is correct that Klaasje is manipulating you... could there not be an element of pride involved in its suspicions? Volition's entire thing is that it's your willpower - it protects you against doing things you don't want to do - a thing which it has failed at against her. It starts attacking logic for finding explanations that very conveniently benefit her.... but "convenient" doesn't mean "wrong". We know by the end of the game that she actually has literally nothing to do with the murder other than just being unfortunate enough to be singled out and obsessed over by a man she'd never met. She is guilty of the cover-up, but Volition really seems to be pushing for you to pin the whole thing on her.

Anyway, my thought here isn't so much "Volition is wrong" as it is that Volition is just as biased as every other skill, and this interaction, where it positions itself as "actually I am the only one you can trust here" is when it is at its most biased.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Enjoy posted:

In the final area, use the bed. You get some character-focused dialog.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

If you ask about her in the endgame debrief with your squadmates they'll tell you

So I'm catching up on this thread after just finishing the game yesterday - I had a thought on the whole Volition/Klaasje argument that nobody seems to have brought up: Why is everyone so quick to trust Volition over the other skills? ALL of them have their own agendas at various points - why does Volition get the assumption of neutrality? I think the thing about that whole interaction is that while Volition is correct that Klaasje is manipulating you... could there not be an element of pride involved in its suspicions? Volition's entire thing is that it's your willpower - it protects you against doing things you don't want to do - a thing which it has failed at against her. It starts attacking logic for finding explanations that very conveniently benefit her.... but "convenient" doesn't mean "wrong". We know by the end of the game that she actually has literally nothing to do with the murder other than just being unfortunate enough to be singled out and obsessed over by a man she'd never met. She is guilty of the cover-up, but Volition really seems to be pushing for you to pin the whole thing on her.

Anyway, my thought here isn't so much "Volition is wrong" as it is that Volition is just as biased as every other skill, and this interaction, where it positions itself as "actually I am the only one you can trust here" is when it is at its most biased.

I mean, yeah, but I don't think you're supposed to trust any of your skills 100%. Sure they might have good, if self-serving, advice, but often their advice will conflict with what you are trying to accomplish. Then there's later on (I think in the conversation with the deserter? Or maybe Ruby?) where three of them chime in with answers that seem good, but none of them really work out that well.

I was roleplaying as a guy who was struggling with keeping the voices in his head in line and not seeming -too- weird, so it made sense to take the chorus with a grain of salt. He called out Klassje, but ultimately let her go under her own auspices as she'd committed no crime other than being afraid of being accused of murder. The cover-up was unfortunate, but ultimately small potatoes and not worth the trouble. I'm hunting a murderer, not frightened disco girls/spies and their union friends.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

so im a completionist and basically tracked down every lead, but is it possible to get to the end part without solving the murder?

more specifically, what happens if you dont find the bullet in the body? it seemed like if i didnt find it the coverup would have been airtight

what kind of variances are there in the shootout? what happens if you dont have your gun?

Accretionist posted:

In the final area, use the bed. You get some character-focused dialog.

also she says it when you call her on the payphone

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Dec 10, 2019

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Shear Modulus posted:

so im a completionist and basically did everything, but is it possible to get to the end part without solving the murder?

also, more specifically, what happens if you dont find the bullet in the body? it seemed like if i didnt find it the coverup would have been airtight

You hop back and forth between Tidus and Klaasje. Tidus is in full cover up mode but Klaasje is all "none of that happened and Tidus is lying".

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shear Modulus posted:

so im a completionist and basically did everything, but is it possible to get to the end part without solving the murder?

also, more specifically, what happens if you dont find the bullet in the body? it seemed like if i didnt find it the coverup would have been airtight

It gives you a modifier for skill checks to get people to spill the beans but you can still solve the case without it. The thing is that ultimately no matter what you do technically (ending spoilers) you can't get to the end part WITH solving the murder. Before the Tribunal you can gather as much or as little evidence as you want and none of it actually gives you enough information to solve the case because neither you or anybody else has actually even met the killer (well Edgar has, but you don't meet him). Then after the Tribunal you go to the island and meet him and he confesses and gives you the murder weapon so you don't exactly need anything else.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Shear Modulus posted:

so im a completionist and basically tracked down every lead, but is it possible to get to the end part without solving the murder?

more specifically, what happens if you dont find the bullet in the body? it seemed like if i didnt find it the coverup would have been airtight

I think it's process of elimination.

I rushed my second playthrough so Klassje never told me about the sniper, but I did find the bullet. However, the only reason I went to the island was because Kim and I were like, "We're all out of leads but we still haven't checked the islands and WE ARE NOT QUITTERS.

That seemed like a bit of a catchall.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It gives you a modifier for skill checks to get people to spill the beans but you can still solve the case without it. The thing is that ultimately no matter what you do technically (ending spoilers) you can't get to the end part WITH solving the murder. Before the Tribunal you can gather as much or as little evidence as you want and none of it actually gives you enough information to solve the case because neither you or anybody else has actually even met the killer (well Edgar has, but you don't meet him). Then after the Tribunal you go to the island and meet him and he confesses and gives you the murder weapon so you don't exactly need anything else.

aw thats lame. i thought i was like "wham bam look at all this evidence ive got" phoenix wright style like the bullet that matches his gun and the prints in the secret passage and it made me think that confronting him with that is what got him to confess

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

You know, the decision to have basically no combat is one I support, but I can't lie, I would have loved to have seen what sort of absolute cold blooded motherfucker Kim could have been in combat. If the tribunal is anything to go by then we know he can pull out some badassness when he needs to. :black101:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Neuronyx posted:

You know, the decision to have basically no combat is one I support, but I can't lie, I would have loved to have seen what sort of absolute cold blooded motherfucker Kim could have been in combat. If the tribunal is anything to go by then we know he can pull out some badassness when he needs to. :black101:

it was odd how titus called harry the big badass when actually kim killed two of the three mercs including the one absolutely impossible shot of shooting a guy in the eye.

can you find more than one bullet?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Shear Modulus posted:

Yes. One in the fishing village and one in the apartment building, in the communist's room iirc

Shear Modulus posted:

what happens if you dont have your gun?

If you don't have your gun or another weapon in the tribunal then Titus and all but two of the Hardie Boys die

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Dec 10, 2019

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shear Modulus posted:

it was odd how titus called harry the big badass when actually kim killed two of the three mercs including the one absolutely impossible shot of shooting a guy in the eye.

There might be some element of Sure Kim is a pretty awesome shot there, but Harry gets shot (potentially twice) and survives it. He respects someone who takes the bullet to protect others.

Unrelated but I was going back through my save just to clear up some of the loose ends I skipped/missed and apologies if this has already been mentioned before but a fun touch I noticed: When you throw the spirit bomb and have one last conversation with your necktie as it sets the merc on fire, its name has changed to "Beautiful Necktie"

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Dec 10, 2019

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Unrelated but I was going back through my save just to clear up some of the loose ends I skipped/missed and apologies if this has already been mentioned before but a fun touch I noticed: When you throw the spirit bomb and have one last conversation with your necktie as it sets the merc on fire, its name has changed to "Beautiful Necktie"

woah what the gently caress? i thought i had gotten all the interesting stuff but i have no idea what this is about

Wafflecopper posted:

Yes. One in the fishing village and one in the apartment building, in the communist's room iirc

also i somehow didnt find the one in the apartment building and dont remember a communist's room but i might have forgotten

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Can you use the sword in the tribunal?

Also if the tie doesn't talk right away does that mean I failed a check and it never will?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shear Modulus posted:

woah what the gently caress? i thought i had gotten all the interesting stuff but i have no idea what this is about

It’s a combination of a bunch of stuff that’s all very easy to miss - I got like 90% of it on my own and still missed the resolution without looking it up afterwards.

Basically it goes as follows:
-You need sufficient Inland Empire for the tie to talk to you in the first place
-You need to buy the blue spirit that one of the drunks offers to sell you for 300 real (which you can actually get for 3 real by just talking to him about it and he eventually forgets how much he said it cost)
-When you buy this you’ll get some dialogue from inland empire to “wait for the sign” which might require a check to show up, but I feel like if you’re already talking to the tie you’ll probably pass this automatically. This will put an entry in your journal.
-You need to be wearing the tie when you go to talk to Ruby (this is the part I missed). On the way back out you’ll get a bubble where the tie will tell you to stuff it into the bottle of spirits. Equip the result into one of your hands before the tribunal and the rest will be obvious.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It’s a combination of a bunch of stuff that’s all very easy to miss - I got like 90% of it on my own and still missed the resolution without looking it up afterwards.

Basically it goes as follows:
-You need sufficient Inland Empire for the tie to talk to you in the first place
-You need to buy the blue spirit that one of the drunks offers to sell you for 300 real (which you can actually get for 3 real by just talking to him about it and he eventually forgets how much he said it cost)
-When you buy this you’ll get some dialogue from inland empire to “wait for the sign” which might require a check to show up, but I feel like if you’re already talking to the tie you’ll probably pass this automatically. This will put an entry in your journal.
-You need to be wearing the tie when you go to talk to Ruby (this is the part I missed). On the way back out you’ll get a bubble where the tie will tell you to stuff it into the bottle of spirits. Equip the result into one of your hands before the tribunal and the rest will be obvious.

oh yeah i got the medical alcohol but never found a use for it. i figured it was either for drinking or selling it since it said it was worth more than the 3 bucks. i put a shitload of points into inland empire (i ended the game with like 12 in it) but i dont think the tie ever talked to me and i dont remember being told to wait for a sign when i got the medical alcohol

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Dec 10, 2019

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
When you initially get out of your room, you get a blue bubble suggesting you should never take off your tie. I think that if you ever take it off, you won't be able to make the molotov.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Nah, you can take it off and put it back on and get the pop-up. The purple thought circle where it tells you it's go time is easy to miss or a little iffy in firing though. I've got it to reliably fire by stopping by the drunks after confronting the person just past the point of no return, on my way to the tribunal.

Also I'm coming towards the end of my first draft of my essay on the pale, really just one section left, and it's already just shy of four thousand words. Lessons learned: I really, really need to edit myself down. Writing directly about philosophy is almost an entirely new medium to me, and writing in new mediums is very loving hard. There might not be any way to discuss phenomenology without resorting to fuzzy, almost mystical language. Well... at least I have a bit more appreciation now for the people I've read who made me go "These are cool ideas but why couldn't you just loving lay them out for me straight?"

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

NewMars posted:

She had glowing lungs. She was not normal.

quote:

When her innocence was declared -- and the queen she had advised for years fell on her knees before her -- she was so overcome with emotion that her *lungs* started *glowing* in her chest. That is why the lungs are the symbol of love for the cultures of the Real Belt.

This is a telling of events from a single source 300 years old. That is miles away from making glowing lungs a fact.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

So I'm catching up on this thread after just finishing the game yesterday - I had a thought on the whole Volition/Klaasje argument that nobody seems to have brought up

My interpretation is that Volition is not a skill per se, it is the voice of your own willpower and ultimately represents not only your moral fibre, but also things like tenacity and perseverance.

That's a definition that actually works well for ourselves, too. If you are strong-willed, you can trap yourself in certain moments of stubborness without even realizing it. In the game, that happens during your interview with Klaasje, as you uncover Ruby's involvement and Volition chimes in with "WELL SURE THAT WAS ALSO VERY CONVENIENT HUH", but that has nothing to do with an agenda. IMHO, because Klaasje haywired your rear end, Volition picks up the slack and becomes stubborn as a means of defense.

This also makes sense if you consider how we interact with others who might have done a bit of manipulation. Once you find out that you have been played (and most importantly understand that), you are much more likely to be headstrong and with your guard high up when dealing with the person instead of being "reasonable", which might be a huge loving liability when dealing with such situations.

(incidentally, I love that Logic is of course very useful but is also one of the personas that are most likely to be owned by anything else haha)

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

DropsySufferer posted:

This is a telling of events from a single source 300 years old. That is miles away from making glowing lungs a fact.

Yeah, Encyclopedia implies a lot of evidence that there were active conspiracies in which folks at the time believed she was somehow inhuman, and that one such person assassinated her, but the game doesn't provide proof either way.

Dolores Dei is interesting as a Christ-like figure that cropped up essentially in their middle ages. While records would still be spotty, it would be a drat sight better than what we've got irl.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

DropsySufferer posted:

There’s literally a guy who warps light by being rich, this setting just has weird stuff like that.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Although again it's a bit ambiguous because Kim doesn't see it

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Qwertycoatl posted:

Well yeah he's a binoclard of course he can't see spacetime warping due to wealth

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Qwertycoatl posted:

kim isn't as poor as you, the light warping is caused by your relative difference in wealth, not purely because of how much money he has

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I like when you talk to Dolores amalgamation in your dream you can call her a monster and she goes "HEY HEY THAT IS HIGHLY CONTESTED BY MANY SCHOLARS!"

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

cock hero flux posted:

kim isn't as poor as you, the light warping is caused by your relative difference in wealth, not purely because of how much money he has

I wonder if this works in reverse? The dude can clearly see Harry right? But yea, it's definitely based on wealth deficit, not wealth itself. Otherwise super rich people wouldn't be able to see any of their friends.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

chaosapiant posted:

I wonder if this works in reverse? The dude can clearly see Harry right? But yea, it's definitely based on wealth deficit, not wealth itself. Otherwise super rich people wouldn't be able to see any of their friends.

Well, can they? I mean, look at our president, and he's barely a thousandaire

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Well, can they? I mean, look at our president, and he's barely a thousandaire

That's a little different, see, because he can't even see out his own rear end. I wonder if Disco 2 Electric Boogaloo will have a super rich guy whose eyes looks like two inverted anuses. Anusi? Anus's. Not sure how to make anus plural.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

left the tie on the fan for my first playthrough; i feel like i missed out

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

boar guy posted:

left the tie on the fan for my first playthrough; i feel like i missed out

You did.

I wonder if getting the Spirit Bomb requires you to set Inland Empire as your signature skill? I thought your signature has a larger role to play than the others.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It doesn't. To both of those, it's not required and it doesn't give you special content. It's just a higher number, which may give you special content.

Utritum
May 2, 2009
College Slice
Actually, from what I've seen it appears Dora/Dolores will call out your signature skill in the final dream sequence. I had set Encyclopedia set as the signature skill, and she mentioned that Harry just kept quoting encyclopedic trivia at her whenever he had a depressive episode.

Utritum fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 10, 2019

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Utritum posted:

Actually, from what I've seen it appears Dora/Dolores will call out your signature skill in the final dream sequence. I had set Encyclopedia set as the signature skill, and she mentioned that Harry just kept quoting encyclopedic trivia at her whenever he had a depressive episode.

She called that out to me too and that wasn’t my sig skill.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

chaosapiant posted:

Anusi? Anus's. Not sure how to make anus plural.

Anii

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Qwertycoatl posted:

I find it not so difficult to believe that Kim is much better about budgeting and paycheck management than Harry and thus he isn't below the wealth ratio that warps light.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I assume Kim just has an anti-magic field, that's also why he doesn't think you teleported.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Fangz posted:

I assume Kim just has an anti-magic field, that's also why he doesn't think you teleported.

I thought the joke of the teleportation is that they couldn't afford to animate your ladder climbing so they just faded to black.