Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I guarantee that he’s not making enough money if the expectation is he should stay and fix it. Or has access to overtime.

Dude shouldn’t lie, but expecting a help desk person to stick around late into the night is also lovely even if he’s the one that causes the issue. I used to think like this, but the farther you step away the more bullshit you realize you put up with that’s unreasonable for what people are getting paid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Was he assigned to do it? If so he's responsible to see it through or at least escalate to someone who can help. We've all been there. You can't lie about it and expect nothing to happen, sorry.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
It appears that over the weekend we rolled out a new, homegrown password complexity algorithm unannounced. That's all well and good, except it restricts sequences of characters, but they only bothered checking increasing case. Now I have to reverse all my passwords from -123 to -321.

Couldn't have just left Monday well enough alone, or alternatively taken this opportunity to join us in the 21st century supporting whitespace in passwords :sigh:

Sheep fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Dec 9, 2019

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Spent a half hour being questioned by my boss on "why would we keep voice and data wiring separate"

Also, fucker who got a 25k bonus last week is over here asking if we have any 'old monitor arms' he could have for home. Buy one at Amazon for $80 you twit.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Spent a half hour being questioned by my boss on "why would we keep voice and data wiring separate"

Also, fucker who got a 25k bonus last week is over here asking if we have any 'old monitor arms' he could have for home. Buy one at Amazon for $80 you twit.

We do that with all our network wiring. We keep data, phones, and cameras on physically separate infrastructure at all our locations. CAT5/6 is cheap and with our buildings its easy to run. (open warehouse type buildings). They all run to the same rack, but are terminated at their own patch panels and have their own switches. We use different color RJ45s to differentiate network/phone ports.

It is something we have always done and I see no reason to change. Certainly makes configuration, installation, and troubleshooting easier.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 9, 2019

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

stevewm posted:

We do that with all our network wiring. We keep data, phones, and cameras on physically separate infrastructure at all our locations. CAT5/6 is cheap and with our buildings its easy to run. (open warehouse type buildings). They all run to the same rack, but are terminated at their own patch panels and have their own switches. We use different color RJ45s to differentiate network/phone ports.

It is something we have always done and I see no reason to change. Certainly makes configuration, installation, and troubleshooting easier.

That's what I am pushing for

He doesn't see the problem with plugging printers into unused voice ports at desks and turning our patch panels into spaghetti

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

He doesn't see the problem with plugging printers into unused voice ports at desks and turning our patch panels into spaghetti

If someone does that at our locations it doesn't get them anywhere. They'll get an IP, but thats it. Voice network has no internet access or path to the corp. LAN.

If we have a need for more network ports at a location, I'll install a small managed switch. I will not reassign a voice port to network.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

Your boss needs to meet a BOFH-esque demise. Preferably yesterday.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Then we talked about having a contractor come in and punch down 200 network drops.

"How will they know where the wires go?"

Uhh the electricans that ran them...labled them?

"How will they know which are voice and data?"

We will tell them?

"They'll never figure out it, when you tone a wire you can't tell which one it is in the bundle"

What world do you loving live in?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

He would rather have our helpdesk guys go in on a (couple) Saturdays and do the punchdowns. We are supposed to open this building at the end of the month. They have about 5,000 other things to do so why not let someeone else do wiring is my argument.

I later got pulled aside. "You and I have differing viewpoints when it comes to this stuff. I would rather pay our people than farm it out."

I understand that, but I'd rather have someone else do that so we can do other stuff with out internal people. We're so busy and behind, remember?

Hopefully this week I will have pictures of our home-made networked powerstrips powered by phidgets. And hopefully some stories about random equipment mysteriously shutting down during the day.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Bob Morales posted:

He would rather have our helpdesk guys go in on a (couple) Saturdays and do the punchdowns. We are supposed to open this building at the end of the month. They have about 5,000 other things to do so why not let someeone else do wiring is my argument.

I later got pulled aside. "You and I have differing viewpoints when it comes to this stuff. I would rather pay our people than farm it out."

I understand that, but I'd rather have someone else do that so we can do other stuff with out internal people. We're so busy and behind, remember?

Hopefully this week I will have pictures of our home-made networked powerstrips powered by phidgets. And hopefully some stories about random equipment mysteriously shutting down during the day.

Are said helpdesk people going to be getting overtime for working Saturdays in addition to normal M-F, which I assume is what he would want? If no, he is not "paying your people", he is forcing them to work unpaid overtime instead of paying for a contractor.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Khisanth Magus posted:

Are said helpdesk people going to be getting overtime for working Saturdays in addition to normal M-F, which I assume is what he would want? If no, he is not "paying your people", he is forcing them to work unpaid overtime instead of paying for a contractor.

They are hourly so they would be getting paid. Funnily enough the production floor has a pretty firm no working weekends rule.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

We just talked about wiring cubicles. This is what we do currently.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Bob Morales posted:

We just talked about wiring cubicles. This is what we do currently.

Was that socket specifically designed to be broken off by chairs/feet/boxes or was that a surprise bonus feature?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
That’s how they are, it’s really dumb. I used to kick the keystone jack out of the hole in mine all the time until I rewired our cube area with a managed switch because they were morons and only ran one jack per cube. In the IT area.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I just spent 90 minutes in a meeting with an angry SoO who wanted me to do the math in front of him that proved the best solution to our current problem.

Nevermind that I came in Saturday and already did all that work in a spreadsheet and attached it to an email to him with a synopsis that summarized the problem and the solution.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Shut up Meg posted:

Was that socket specifically designed to be broken off by chairs/feet/boxes or was that a surprise bonus feature?

There actually used to be a copier parked right there.

Typically when you wire up a cube for voice/data, you pop out a little section of the track or whatever you want to call it, and pop in one of these little faceplates and put network jacks in it. You end up with a nice clean install.

Apparently, when we wired up our current office, they didn't use those.

We're a metal fab shop. Why would we buy those for $2.50 each?

They ordered a $200 die that would punch out the shape to stick a keystone jack in. Then they had someone remove that metal bottom piece from every cubicle, take it out to the plant floor, and punched holes in them using a super 30 press like this:

Then, someone went and put all the metal pieces back on the cubicles, and then installed the jacks.

Also, we never buy mounts or brackets for ANY equipment. Why do that when someone can dick around in Solidworks for a couple hours and we can just send the job out to the shop?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I can check with my BSCI guys but, we no longer run multiple patch fields and run converged hybrid fields at this point, I don't think there's any particular call out for it. Data was designed to run on phone wiring, and has now exceeded it. The POTS devices aren't bothered by it, and the number of weird contact closures or specialized circuits I've been dealing with over the last 10 years is basically nil. Legacy frames are still Cat5e to 8p8c connectors and will certify, but, with two separate fields it is a bit of a mess sometimes getting it all dressed in. TIA I believe allows for a splice point so you can punch through an old field and drag the wiring over to your data field if you wanted to.

As to keeping cameras, voice, etc on separate hardware at that point, I guess that's up to you. I'm sure for some compliance reasons, it may be easier to have your phones go to their own gear essentially airgapped, but, you do then need double the wiring if the phone would support connecting a downstream device. If we're talking some older PBX or a lot of voice wiring then that point is also moot. With a converged network, a "drop" is a drop as long as it is plugged into the gear, which simplifies things greatly.

Labeling does need to be done right and mindful of markers, pens, pencils, etc fading out, labels falling off, etc. I"m not sure you really can avoid that, even quality machine printed labels seem to fade or fall off eventually. Regarding the furniture systems, those seem to arrive and we get a shout out as it's being installed or afterwards which sucks to deal with. Not all of them have removable kick panels and some have "whips" that are tied into the wall. Fortunately almost every cubicle system seems to have an available plate or bracket from hubble or the manufacturer to fit communications, or they can be installed in an unused electrical knock out. Like y'all said Cat5/6 is cheap if you're using that cable type, wiring it a head of time and maxing it out saves a lot of annoyance later.

semi-e: well I mean if that's the route they want to take, I guess that works other than it looking like that. I have no idea what your label would mean though since I don't get the feeling you're a large enough shop to have 11 relay racks of cabling in the telecom room, so maybe it's TR "AD11" patch panel data 6 drop 2? Got a lot of D in there I have no idea.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Our voip switches are supplied by the phone vendor so they have to be separate :(

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Bob Morales posted:

They ordered a $200 die

Hah. Sounds like a fun place to work if you are into metalworking :shobon: The company by machinists, for machinists.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
If they're a metal shop who wants to DIY everything, what's stopping them from just making a metal version of the plastic faceplates

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
poo poo that pisses me off: My job.

Sysadmin for a local branch of a large multinational, though the reality is closer to being a 1st tier computer toucher, due to how much of the stuff we have is globally standardized and remotely maintained or hosted. But it pays well, and is usually easy enough. However, I directly report to the regional IT manager, who probably has some sort of brain problem. Paranoid behaviour is common, as are bizarre mood swings, frequently forgetting things, intentionally withholding information, but then assuming I know it already, and other wildly unpredictable behaviour.

Combine that with a userbase that is largely composed of older tech-illiterate people that are often stressed and angry, this is probably the most miserable I've ever been at a job.

I should leave, but I'm having hard to find the energy to jobhunt. :smith:

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

taqueso posted:

Hah. Sounds like a fun place to work if you are into metalworking :shobon: The company by machinists, for machinists.

Sounds like my current job. We’re a bunch of artists with a bit of computer knowledge. So every system is bodged in and have a decent amount of technical debt. With about 10 employees in our case, we can just about manage to transfer knowledge and not break anything.

I can’t imagine how it is for a large company such as Bob’s. Not to mention that an office move should be the moment to do away with all of the bodged system and break bad habits, not build upon it.

Edit:

Then you have to factor in whether the money saved was worth removing a machine from the production line and spending manhours on it.

I know that the time we spent on working around our systems and waiting on inefficiencies has long offset the amount we would have spent on hiring an expert to install everything properly.

Fragrag fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Dec 10, 2019

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

klosterdev posted:

If they're a metal shop who wants to DIY everything, what's stopping them from just making a metal version of the plastic faceplates

We make lovely 48U racks which I wish we wouldn't use (they aren't for our use case but we make them so we have to use them), we should just make loving cubicles too

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Why stop there? Fill the Planters Peanuts bags in the vending machine with ball bearings

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Bigass Moth posted:

Was he assigned to do it? If so he's responsible to see it through or at least escalate to someone who can help. We've all been there. You can't lie about it and expect nothing to happen, sorry.

If I insinuated that he lied I have miscommunicated the situation - he simply left site without informing anyone that there was an ongoing problem. If he would have told me I would have stayed and worked on it, I'm a manager so either it just needs more time to fix or the issue is so significant that we organise a contingency, doesn't matter either way, but as I had no idea it just got totally left.

Now that a bit more time has passed, he absolutely made a mistake for the reasons above but a secondary consequence happened as well.

Again, apologies for being vague but NDA etc. Following this error an unrelated incident happened. My judgement having spoke to a LOT of people about it is because helpdesk guy was in the vicinity of the unrelated incident some people decided to go "must have been helpdesk guys fault as he was near when that happened" - the reason that happened is because helpdesk guy doesn't have amazing people skills and some people dont like him because when you look at the facts, he had nothing to do with unrelated incident.

I've literally had the police in my office and had to answer questions about this whole saga. I dont get paid enough for this poo poo.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
Pissing me off:

Myself and Microsoft.

Our email server, which is also our backup DC ran out of mailbox storage space over the weekend. I realized email wasn't working and discovered the error right away yesterday morning. No big deal, it's a virtual machine and there's plenty of open space on the datastore. It should have been a 5 minute task: Shutdown the server, provision additional space, start up the server. This time, not so much. Windows shut down gracefully, but refused to boot when I restarted the server.

Why? Why did Microsoft decide that the default thing for their SERVER operating system to do on a failed boot was to immediately and automatically restart preventing the system administrator from seeing what the actual error code is until they manage to gain access to the system? It's so goddamn stupid!

I realize the server didn't come back up and log into the terminal, I see the "we failed to boot, here's your recovery options:" screen. As I only did one thing, I naturally make the logical conclusion that the provisioning of the extra storage space has somehow gone horribly wrong. I shut down the server again and make the (in hindsight incorrect) decision that before I do anything else I need to make a backup copy of the vmdk file so that I have a fallback if I screw things up even more. Unfortunately it's a 2 Terabyte file. 12 hours and many angry phone calls later the copy operation is finally complete. I attach the vmdk to my troubleshooting VM and the drat thing mounts perfectly, all the files are there, there's not a god drat thing wrong with it!

I boot up the server again, wait for it to crash out to the recovery screen and try to boot to safe mode. No go. I see the error flash by but don't catch the error code before the thing reboots again. Really frustrated now, I force the system to give me the startup options menu and disable the auto restart. Finally I get to read the freaking error code. It turned out that the ntds.dit had gotten corrupted which caused the domain controller component to error out on boot, and I had to boot into Directory Services Restore Mode to gain access to the system. Just a random event that had absolutely nothing to do with anything I had done besides shut the system down led to over 12 hours of wasted time, all because Microsoft decided I didn't need to see an error code and I assumed I broke something I had just touched.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

1. Don't run AD on Exchange.

e:

angry armadillo posted:

I've literally had the police in my office and had to answer questions about this whole saga. I dont get paid enough for this poo poo.

Are you the goon that works in prisons? If so, this makes sense. If not, we need more context.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
Yea that's the context

Edit: I need to re read my companies disciplinary procedures/take advice - it's got to the point where poo poo is going to hit the fan

angry armadillo fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 10, 2019

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

The Fool posted:

1. Don't run AD on Exchange.

Yeah, in a perfect world I wouldn't. But this is the non-profit world. We can only afford a single physical ESXi server, and two windows 2012 server licenses. My choice is to make my exchange server the backup DC, or run without a backup.

If I hadn't pushed for the ESXi option we'd still be nursing a single Windows 2003 SBS server that did everything. :suicide:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

PremiumSupport posted:

If I hadn't pushed for the ESXi option we'd still be nursing a single Windows 2003 SBS server that did everything. :suicide:

FLASHBACKS

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

PremiumSupport posted:

Yeah, in a perfect world I wouldn't. But this is the non-profit world. We can only afford a single physical ESXi server, and two windows 2012 server licenses. My choice is to make my exchange server the backup DC, or run without a backup.

https://www.techsoup.org/products/windows-server-standard--LVS-47862--

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://www.techsoup.org/products/--G-49227--

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Yup, but that only covers 2 cores. You need a minimum of 16 cores covered to meet licensing requirements. Granted that's still a steal at $88, but you also need CALs, which are an additional expense.

We've looked into that, but we have too many people for it to be more economical that self-hosting. We actually are fairly large for a non-profit with about 100 employees that would need access.

PremiumSupport fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 10, 2019

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

PremiumSupport posted:

Yup, but that only covers 2 cores. You need a minimum of 16 cores covered to meet licensing requirements. Granted that's still a steal at $88, but you also need CALs, which are an additional expense.

We've looked into that, but we have too many people for it to be more economical that self-hosting. We actually are quite large for a non-profit with about 100 employees that would need access.

you don't need separate cals for each of your servers, you should already have all the cals you need

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

PremiumSupport posted:

We've looked into that, but we have too many people for it to be more economical that self-hosting. We actually are fairly large for a non-profit with about 100 employees that would need access.

I work for a nonprofit with hundreds of employees, E1 nonprofit is literally zero dollars per license. Your biggest expense will be the migration itself. Moving from on-prem to hybrid O365 w/nonprofit licenses was one of the best things our organization ever did IT-wise.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah you're not comparing like-for-like - you currently have Office from somewhere so carry on getting it from there, this is just about moving your email. 100 users is nowhere near enough to be running the mail server yourself. 10x that and I'd still not bother running it on-prem.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

klosterdev posted:

I work for a nonprofit with hundreds of employees, E1 nonprofit is literally zero dollars per license. Your biggest expense will be the migration itself. Moving from on-prem to hybrid O365 w/nonprofit licenses was one of the best things our organization ever did IT-wise.

As someone with a recalcitrant nonprofit as a client, what do you do about desktop Office? We're trying to push our client to go for E3, or hell, the Microsoft 365 license since it's ONLY FIVE DOLLARS for nonprofits, fucks sake, but they of course don't want to spend the money so we're stuck with the 50 licenses of Office 2016 (or 2019 now) we can get from Techsoup plus a bunch of licenses they got donated by Microsoft...7 years ago, so those are Office 2013.

(I'm irrationally annoyed at Microsoft for releasing something called the Microsoft 365 license - I understand why since it includes everything, but it validates every stupid user over the past 8 years that's said "my microsoft 365 is broken".)

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeah you're not comparing like-for-like - you currently have Office from somewhere so carry on getting it from there, this is just about moving your email. 100 users is nowhere near enough to be running the mail server yourself. 10x that and I'd still not bother running it on-prem.

Ahh, but you are forgetting that the on-prem is Paid For already and has had no budgeted costs for the last 4 years. :rolleyes:

It's like pulling teeth get a non-profit to spend money on anything they don't have to.

e: I don't have a budget. None.

I have to struggle to get other divisions to let me have a couple hundred bucks of their budget to replace workstations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

PremiumSupport posted:

Ahh, but you are forgetting that the on-prem is Paid For already and has had no budgeted costs for the last 4 years. :rolleyes:

It's like pulling teeth get a non-profit to spend money on anything they don't have to.

I mean that is true if you aren't using cals legally.