Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Question IRL posted:

I hear that you had to run past a goat to be allowed buy that newspaper.

e: Pagesnipe plug:
:siren: There's a Special Election Night Praxiscast twitch thing, poggers and stuff :siren: (thanks Sanitary Naptime and podcast goons)
9:30pm on election night (the 12th in case anyone forgot, go vote!) at http://twitch.tv/praxiscast

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Dec 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
https://twitter.com/JayMitchinson/status/1204344653174181888

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
Had someone telling me how Corbyn is going to be bad for businesses in the UK and was very satisfying (well, also kind of depressing) being able to respond that i've spent 3 years doing Brexit risk-management, which has seen billions moved out of the UK as well as over 100 jobs from my company alone, but if Corbyn is so bad, why don't we have a single working project on the subject, as opposed to the 5 or so we've had for areas of the business on Brexit.

To be fair, they then asked questions on the subject as somehow they still believed the 'no jobs lost because of brexit' lie. Not sure they switched but they were asking 'why has no one reported it then and where they could read about it' which of course means they read the Mail.

PST fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Dec 10, 2019

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Chucked another £50 Labour-wards. Fingers crossed for Thursday.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/254736468835041280/653937933585481728/IMG_20191210_121619.jpg

Mcdonnell was right again

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Anyone know of a good place to rent a room/place to meet in the evening in Bristol? My usual place has become unavailable when I wanted in and am trying to find somewhere in the centre that's not awful. It's only going to be for 6-12 people but I don't want to just occupy a corner of a pub like we often do.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Why didn't all those Hillsborough thugs simply run out of the stands to safety? I would.

Pictured: a man who would indeed run away from Liverpool

Progject
Apr 23, 2006

Sorry if this is a repost, but man, The Guardian are being arseholes: https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/dec/10/the-baddies-are-going-to-win-again-a-brutally-honest-guide-to-election-night-tv

Let me believe for a bit :(

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Sweet a new Virgin Media game!
Time to get a P90 chip to run this!

(Also excellent job with that photoshop.)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Look just because we told people to gently caress off with catastrophising doesn't mean you need to go find the guardian to indulge you lol.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Despairing of Ashworth. He's the Shadow Health, on the exact day where the Tories are facing a major PR crisis over the NHS, and instead of effectively taking them to task on that he's going to be fielding questions like, "do you believe Jeremy Corbyn is a threat to national security? Is it true that you hate your own party leader and want him gone?".

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

The image in the tweet is an excellent summary of a number of important issues that have arisen from the child sleeping on the hospital floor story.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
Pearson has now deleted her libelous claim about the mother faking the whole thing. But of course not written an apology.

Progject
Apr 23, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Look just because we told people to gently caress off with catastrophising doesn't mean you need to go find the guardian to indulge you lol.

Force of habit. Was in my news apps rotation until recently.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Android Blues posted:

Despairing of Ashworth. He's the Shadow Health, on the exact day where the Tories are facing a major PR crisis over the NHS, and instead of effectively taking them to task on that he's going to be fielding questions like, "do you believe Jeremy Corbyn is a threat to national security? Is it true that you hate your own party leader and want him gone?".

Presumably he was talking privately to somehow he knows personally and thought he could trust. It's hard to hold that against him that he was betrayed by an acquaintance.

Obviously it doesn't help but it is what it is.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Android Blues posted:

This is clearly the Tories have "in case of NHS crisis, break glass" because he's the shadow health secretary. Even the Financial Times person on Politics Live, who was grilling him about it when he was on, said afterwards that this is a blatant distraction and voters won't really care about backroom banter, especially compared to the more visible gaffe of not giving a gently caress about the toddler.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Progject posted:

Force of habit. Was in my news apps rotation until recently.

Not you the guy writing it lol.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/ToryFibs/status/1204382786825728002?s=20

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
Lunch time, so I went to the BBC Live blog to get my two minute hate.

quote:

There is a large, vocal, passionate crowd here," Dan says.

"We perhaps haven’t seen the same sizes of crowds that we saw in 2017 at some of those huge rallies - maybe that just tells us something about a wet and windy election campaign being fought in the middle of December.

"There are some detractors here too - I spoke to one man who said he’d voted Labour all his life but would never support a communist.

:byodood: Fair and balanced coverage at this Corbyn rally which is smaller and shitter than last time. Now let me signal amplify an obvious loving tory who has come here to get quoted calling Corbyn a Communist :byodood:

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

PST posted:

Pearson has now deleted her libelous claim about the mother faking the whole thing. But of course not written an apology.

Braggart posted:

It's a hell of a lot easier to just dash off some copy based on whatever is going through your head at the time, or better yet, delegate it to some peon who already has a million other things to do so won't apply any more due diligence than you would have. Then you can rush off to the fun parts of the job, like schmoozing, drinking and :cocaine:

If the bubble likes you, then you will have easy access to the bubble! Sorted!

And if (when) you get something wrong, you can simply memory-hole it! Everyone does it, so it's like no one does it! Brill! Your journalistic reputation is built on being known as a reputable journalist, so who cares if something you say turned out to be wrong? Just don't bring it up ever again, no one else will! Everything you say comes from the mouth of a respectable journalist, and is quickly replaced by more things from the mouth of a respectable journalist! These new things must be true, we assume!

Though I think we are seeing the breaking of this cycle starting to happen :getin:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/catrinnye/status/1204382318326091776?s=21

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
A Politwoops equivalent for journalists would be fascinating.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

Surprising nobody

https://www.civilserviceworld.com/articles/news/dexeu-warns-major-challenge-implementing-brexit-plan

quote:

Officials from the Department for Exiting the European Union have warned that the government would struggle to implement the systems and infrastructure needed for Boris Johnson’s Brexit deal by the end of the transition period in 2020.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

HJB posted:

A Politwoops equivalent for journalists would be fascinating.

It's called the Telegraph

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
Is there any (recent) polling on how much people trust the press and the BBC?

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

It's like the part of the movie where Scrooge starts to realise that he's a bad person and understands the need to change, except that Bozza will just racist monster his way onward until he is finally taken down.

Which we are in the process of doing :getin:

Bonus: A better version of the classic tale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7FTJfscA0Y

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

The 92M is impressive, but it doesn’t mean people watched any of it. That’s the # of people who at some point scrolled past it, I believe.

Braggart posted:

Sometimes the oppressed internalise the views of their oppressors. It's part of how the whole edifice works.

I’m aware. Doesn’t mean it doesn’t make me angry.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

mediaphage posted:

I’m aware. Doesn’t mean it doesn’t make me angry.

:mad::hf::mad:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I saw a tweet today that I hadn't seen before, which said "GET BREXIT DONE is an anagram of BEING EXTORTED".

zhar
May 3, 2019

If I become a Labour member can they use the funds for the election?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Braggart posted:

It's like the part of the movie where Scrooge starts to realise that he's a bad person and understands the need to change, except that Bozza will just racist monster his way onward until he is finally taken down.
Visited by chain top boo boys, a drunk loser, and a burka who didn't even speak English who's letting all these people in?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

zhar posted:

Yes, you can also donate without joining, either to Labour or Momentum (or both).

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

namesake posted:

Anyone know of a good place to rent a room/place to meet in the evening in Bristol? My usual place has become unavailable when I wanted in and am trying to find somewhere in the centre that's not awful. It's only going to be for 6-12 people but I don't want to just occupy a corner of a pub like we often do.

What are you looking to do and on what days?

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

zhar posted:

It takes a double payment the month after you sign up, so the money won't be available right now. I'd advise donating directly.

Rob Delaney has been on fire about the NHS this election

https://twitter.com/robdelaney/status/1204363960801222656

I am almost literally on the floor crying. "I'm an immigrant & I turned a loving cash hose on & sprayed it up the NHS’s rear end the second my plane landed."

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

PST posted:

Had someone telling me how Corbyn is going to be bad for businesses in the UK and was very satisfying (well, also kind of depressing) being able to respond that i've spent 3 years doing Brexit risk-management, which has seen billions moved out of the UK as well as over 100 jobs from my company alone, but if Corbyn is so bad, why don't we have a single working project on the subject, as opposed to the 5 or so we've had for areas of the business on Brexit.

To be fair, they then asked questions on the subject as somehow they still believed the 'no jobs lost because of brexit' lie. Not sure they switched but they were asking 'why has no one reported it then and where they could read about it' which of course means they read the Mail.

sounds like brexit's given you lots of work tho

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jedit posted:

I saw a tweet today that I hadn't seen before, which said "GET BREXIT DONE is an anagram of BEING EXTORTED".

Also "Boris Johnson" is an anagram of "Jòris Bohnson", makes u think.

Fake edit: also, "Is Johnson bro?" , to which the answer is either "no" or "Jo"

Wazzerphuk
Feb 9, 2001

Hating Chelsea before it was cool
Winner of the PWM POTM for September
Winner of the PWM POTM for January
Co-Winner of the PWM POTM for March

RockyB posted:

It takes a double payment the month after you sign up, so the money won't be available right now. I'd advise donating directly.

Rob Delaney has been on fire about the NHS this election

https://twitter.com/robdelaney/status/1204363960801222656

I am almost literally on the floor crying. "I'm an immigrant & I turned a loving cash hose on & sprayed it up the NHS’s rear end the second my plane landed."

The ratio on that original though...

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Visited by chain top boo boys, a drunk loser, and a burka who didn't even speak English who's letting all these people in?

The disembodied burka spews envelopes all over Boris. They fly open and each contains one of his articles with the racism highlighted in red.

The chain top boo boys float over his bed and poop all over him because he does like to say "bum boy".

The drunk loser is just a slightly better looking version of Bozza.

:gonk:

:cocaine:

:shepface: Alright, back to the racism!

:shepicide:

Braggart fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Dec 10, 2019

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
loving BBC news leaning on the ashworth thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
General election 2019: Ads are 'indecent, dishonest and untruthful'

quote:

Many of the ads have not contained misleading claims, but the issue has also been addressed by the non-profit organisation First Draft. It looked just at every paid-for Facebook ad from the three main UK-wide parties run over the first four days of December:

* for the Conservatives, it said that 88% (5,952) of the party's most widely promoted ads either featured claims which had been flagged by independent fact-checking organisations including BBC Reality Check as not correct or not entirely correct. The figure includes instances of the same claims being made across multiple posts. One example was that Labour would spend £1.2 trillion at a cost of £2,400 to every household, which was contained within 4,028 ads. Those sums are significantly higher than others' analysis of Labour's plans
* for the Lib Dems, it said hundreds of potentially misleading ads had featured identical unlabelled graphs, with no indication of the source data, to claim it was the only party that could beat either Labour, the Conservatives or the SNP "in seats like yours"
* for Labour, it said that it could not find any misleading claims in ads run over the period. However, it noted that the party's supporters were more likely to share unpaid-for electioneering posts than those of its rivals.