Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
Put me down as another person who never had any trouble with Liberty Island and doesn't understand why it's so infamous, to the point where I kinda want to see video of someone playing it for the first time and struggling with it to see where they're going wrong.

The combat is clunky as hell for sure, especially with a low skill JC, but the HUD makes it very clear what's going on and how to mitigate it even if you skipped the tutorial (and who in their right mind would do that?). Most of the "things to do" are either explicitly called out by Alex or Paul or seem fairly self explanatory, and did a great job of conveying what was going to make the game special to me: finding your own solution out of many possibilities.

Apparently I'm the outlier though, and it has always baffled me ever since I first encountered the popular idea that DX "gets better" after Liberty Island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lork posted:

Put me down as another person who never had any trouble with Liberty Island and doesn't understand why it's so infamous, to the point where I kinda want to see video of someone playing it for the first time and struggling with it to see where they're going wrong.

The combat is clunky as hell for sure, especially with a low skill JC, but the HUD makes it very clear what's going on and how to mitigate it even if you skipped the tutorial (and who in their right mind would do that?). Most of the "things to do" are either explicitly called out by Alex or Paul or seem fairly self explanatory, and did a great job of conveying what was going to make the game special to me: finding your own solution out of many possibilities.

Apparently I'm the outlier though, and it has always baffled me ever since I first encountered the popular idea that DX "gets better" after Liberty Island.

When did you first play DX? I would bet the closer to release you played, the more ball-busting it was.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
Those years are all a blur to me so I can't pin it down exactly, but I'm fairly sure I played it around the time I played Morrowind, so probably between 2002-2003.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Gynovore posted:

That's.... yeah. From a real world standpoint, it's incredibly dumb for the Super Secret base to have it's only entrance through the Not So Secret Base. And it's on Liberty Island, so the only possible other entrances would be a sub bay or diver enclosure.

But, from a gameplay point of view, it was amazing. You get kidnapped by an ultra secret cabal, fight the tough MiB commandos for the first time, then make your escape with the help of a shadowy AI, and find yourself in the all too familiar surrounding of the UNATCO med bay, which totally drives home the point of they were the bad guys all along.

At the same time Deus Ex was being released Bungie was working on Oni and one of its selling points was that the levels were designed by actual architects. Turns out real functional architecture makes for really boring levels.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Sleeveless posted:

At the same time Deus Ex was being released Bungie was working on Oni and one of its selling points was that the levels were designed by actual architects. Turns out real functional architecture makes for really boring levels.

I actually owned this and all I remember are empty rooms full of boxes to punch and kick people in.

I'm another one who had no issues with liberty Island. I played it when I was 14-15 I think, I learned pretty quickly not to try and gun people but I got pretty good with tranqing and sneaking. I think I accidentally discovered you could stack crates to reach the top from the outside by my 3rd try.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

When did you first play DX? I would bet the closer to release you played, the more ball-busting it was.

I played it release year as a... twelve year old and it didn't pose me a huge amount of trouble

It single handedly created my love for stealthily knocking guards out and stuffing them in vents, thanks deus ex

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

My first playthrough was close enough to release that I never read about it but far enough away that I got it for cheap. Liberty Island hosed me up a whole bunch until I realized I was superman and carved through the NSF like a hot knife through butter. Then my traitor big brother bitched me out so I tried again and holy poo poo the game sucked me in at that point.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I played the game like a decade after it came out and had problems figuring out what I was meant to do. I think I was confused about the layout of the statue and didn't notice where you could keep going up, so I spent a while looking around below. It seems pretty obvious in hindsight, but I think I just wasn't sure where I was meant to be going.

Also this is unrelated, but I've seen many people say you can knock people out by hitting them in the back of the head, or the rear end. I've tried this a bunch of times and have never gotten either one to work. What's the deal?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Momomo posted:

I played the game like a decade after it came out and had problems figuring out what I was meant to do. I think I was confused about the layout of the statue and didn't notice where you could keep going up, so I spent a while looking around below. It seems pretty obvious in hindsight, but I think I just wasn't sure where I was meant to be going.

Also this is unrelated, but I've seen many people say you can knock people out by hitting them in the back of the head, or the rear end. I've tried this a bunch of times and have never gotten either one to work. What's the deal?

The hit box for the one shot KO is a bit above the rear end, IIRC.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Small of the back or in the neck.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Alchenar posted:

The problem with Liberty Island is that you start the game with no biomods worth anything and barely any skill points (which you have probably spent on some trap choices), so if you get into a firefight with your crappy pistol that takes 10 seconds to aim then you are in real trouble. In that first mission there's nothing that makes the game stand out other than the freeform map, and plenty that makes the game look sub-par in comparison to contemporaries.

DX came out in 2000, when the market was saturated with Quake and Unreal and 84382 other shooters. A lot of people hopped in and said "its 3D with guns so its like Quake!!" so they charged headlong into Liberty Island and got wasted.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Alchenar posted:

The problem with Liberty Island is that you start the game with no biomods worth anything and barely any skill points (which you have probably spent on some trap choices), so if you get into a firefight with your crappy pistol that takes 10 seconds to aim then you are in real trouble. In that first mission there's nothing that makes the game stand out other than the freeform map, and plenty that makes the game look sub-par in comparison to contemporaries.

It felt a lot more intuitive if you'd played Thief.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Gynovore posted:

DX came out in 2000, when the market was saturated with Quake and Unreal and 84382 other shooters. A lot of people hopped in and said "its 3D with guns so its like Quake!!" so they charged headlong into Liberty Island and got wasted.

I did this too when I downloaded the Deus Ex demo back in 2000. The first time. I figured it out pretty quickly, and made it to the top after a bit of trial and error, though it took me another run and more saving/loading to spring Gunther.

IMO Liberty Island is a brilliant introduction that makes you get used to the things that the game is all about. It's true that the game has a backwards difficulty curve (typical of 0451 games from both before and after it, though) so Liberty Island is probably the hardest the game will be, especially as a new player.

Though in practice Liberty Island wasn't as well received as I think it deserved to be, which is probably why shortly after they released a second demo that ran until you got on the helicopter after blowing up the power plant in Hell's Kitchen.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

BattleMaster posted:

I did this too when I downloaded the Deus Ex demo back in 2000. The first time. I figured it out pretty quickly, and made it to the top after a bit of trial and error, though it took me another run and more saving/loading to spring Gunther.

IMO Liberty Island is a brilliant introduction that makes you get used to the things that the game is all about. It's true that the game has a backwards difficulty curve (typical of 0451 games from both before and after it, though) so Liberty Island is probably the hardest the game will be, especially as a new player.

Typical of a lot of RPGs generally, I think - they have to design the late game with a wide range of builds in mind... And sometimes scenarios that might be challenging to a properly built character just won't be fun. There's certainly an art to tuning the difficulty curve; it's not something a lot of companies probably focus on, though, as it won't matter for most purchase decisions.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

You know what would be awesome, would be a guerilla warfare immersive sim, where you really need all the random supplies and intel you can find because you’re going up against an enemy that’s way, way bigger than you.

You can play Metal Gear Solid V exactly like this, particularly with some mods.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

You know what would be awesome, would be a guerilla warfare immersive sim, where you really need all the random supplies and intel you can find because you’re going up against an enemy that’s way, way bigger than you.

Operation Flashpoint: Resistance (now part of ArmA: Cold War Assault) is close to what you're looking for.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
There is nothing "quaint" about nineties conspiracy theories, firmly rooted in white supremacy. In that vain, I recently found out about the other book Pierce wrote, author of Turner Diaries, and it is called Hunter, idolizing Joseph Franklin, one of these pre-modern "stochastic" terrorists. He was also the one trying to kill Larry Flynt. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Paul_Franklin

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

AstroWhale posted:

There is nothing "quaint" about nineties conspiracy theories, firmly rooted in white supremacy. In that vain, I recently found out about the other book Pierce wrote, author of Turner Diaries, and it is called Hunter, idolizing Joseph Franklin, one of these pre-modern "stochastic" terrorists. He was also the one trying to kill Larry Flynt. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Paul_Franklin

The people who grew up smirking and rolling their eyes at how the 50s were mythologized as a better and more pure time wound up doing the same thing themselves to the 90s. The world wasn't quaint or more innocent then, you were just a kid so it seemed that way.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Angry_Ed posted:

Operation Flashpoint: Resistance (now part of ArmA: Cold War Assault) is close to what you're looking for.

I had that way back when it first came out and totally forgot about it until just now. I’ll have to reinstall it! I was so, so bad at OpFlash back in the day.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

A lot of people only experienced Liberty Island because they couldn't get on the boat.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I was playin the Liberty Island demo :smug: Ever since playing that demo, I use Denton as my fake last name if I need to write my name down somewhere and I don't want to put my real one for some reason.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

JC Tenton is my spirit animal (I’m fat)

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

goatsestretchgoals posted:

JC Tenton is my spirit animal (I’m fat)

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

That was a great thread

Tracer Tong: “That’s strange. Why would a bakery need a security system?”

JC Tenton: ...

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4orTvfvdz8

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Momomo posted:

I'm reasonably sure Bobbin's LP (and other sources) definitively established "the back - not the head or legs" as the knockout spot, no highly specific waist or shoulder-blades sweet spots required.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Xander77 posted:

I'm reasonably sure Bobbin's LP (and other sources) definitively established "the back - not the head or legs" as the knockout spot, no highly specific waist or shoulder-blades sweet spots required.

Yeah it's the torso. It felt weird to learn that you have to wallop people in the spine rather than the back of the head to knock them out.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I played Deus Ex upon release, played the training level so I understood how to play the game, and found the first real level entertaining and engaging and at no point too difficult 🤔

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I prodded/nightsticked everyone on Liberty Island on my first playthrough to hoard supplies. Would have worked better if the NSF handed out more than 2 bullets to each soldier.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oh thank god a working DX thread! The ones in my bookmarks haven't updated in years and got archived, alas. I'll copy/paste what I wrote in the Prey thread:

Serephina posted:

So, I just bought & finished Mankind Divided over the thankgiving sale. Went in knowing that there was a lot of bad - the terrible DLC etc, so was able to ignore it. Everyone was right, Prague was very well done, but I gotta say, it probably would have served better in a different game. The open world was a treasure to poke around in and explore, with lots of small storytelling details, all lovely, but... Having such an open-world available really ruins the pacing of the game, not to mention the power progression of the player. You can lug over and sell random guns to vendors! This is bad! So by the time most of the player base gets off their arse and does the first mission, they've probably got 50% of the available xp in the entire game, and a several fully kitted out guns. Oops. Compare this to MD, which has the retroactively-funny moment where after yelling at the player for 15 minutes to show up, hostages die (oops). It's good world-building in a different way.

And then there's the whole monstrosity of the praxis/xp system combined and how it affects poo poo like QoL 'upgrades' vs actual cool gameplay augs. Ugh. Worth playing through if you get it on a sale imo

Its a shame that I can't get DX:Revision working nicely in linux else I'd give biomod a whirl. Everything is so goddamn dark and the brightness dial doesn't work.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Wait what? I'm too caught by you thinking the DLC is bad to even consider the rest of the post.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I managed to convince my friend to play it and stream it and I've been enjoying seeing a blind playthrough of it but he missed Smuggler and the sewers in Hell's Kitchen the first time through so I hope that won't end up being an issue.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The DLC issue is slightly annoying, but you can completely ignore it and the game isn't really any worse for it. A Criminal Past is really good, and actually makes sense as DLC. System Rift is still good but at a bare minimum should have been integrated into the game. That other mission shouldn't have been DLC.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
The only problem with DLC was them being poorly integrated into the rest of the game. 1 of them was a sidequest ripped off the main game - I'm not joking, no one in their right mind could play it and not think it was from another game. Another one (System Rift) was at least planned in its entirety before the game shipped, cause there are numerous references to it in the main story. But I guess it was developed later cause it has a much better understanding of the game systems and story (e.g. it's the only place where you feel like being oppressed because of your prostheses).

The last one is the only one that feels right: it's a prequel in a completely different setting and a completely different story. Other two suffer from not being integrated into the main game cause you have to respec your character and nothing you do inside of those stories matters for the rest of the game even if it should. Both of them canonically happen during the main game. But Criminal Past is all around great.

You are also right about the game being too open too soon. I think most of the side missions can be done or started before you go for your first mission and you are even encouraged to do so. In my first playthrough I've cleared out most of the locations in Prague and had to revisit them later to quickly do a mission in an empty building.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
There was some other stupid DLC stuff like the one-time use items that would forever lock themselves to a particular save game.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

jojoinnit posted:

Wait what? I'm too caught by you thinking the DLC is bad to even consider the rest of the post.

There was some other stupid DLC stuff like the one-time use items that would forever lock themselves to a particular save game.

Basically that. The cringe worthy triangle code app thingie, the cash and praxis boosts, the single-use items, the in-app purchases on the main menu, it's all spectacularly bad. Uh, there's some actual content stuff like Criminal Past, but I cbf honestly.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Serephina posted:

Basically that. The cringe worthy triangle code app thingie, the cash and praxis boosts, the single-use items, the in-app purchases on the main menu, it's all spectacularly bad. Uh, there's some actual content stuff like Criminal Past, but I cbf honestly.

Fair enough, after I posted that I considered that might be what you had meant. The DLC is worth it for Criminal Past alone but I ignored the cash-in stuff and forget it even exists when I replay.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Who's excited for the tenth anniversary of the tenth anniversary thread (and 20th anniversary playthroughs)?

I'm definitely clearing some time next summer.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Nail Rat posted:

Who's excited for the tenth anniversary of the tenth anniversary thread (and 20th anniversary playthroughs)?

I'm definitely clearing some time next summer.

I play the original DX almost every summer, I’ve probably beaten it about a dozen times by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

I haven't had a replay in years due to only having a Mac. I've set up an old Windows laptop this week just for it because I'm itching to revisit everything.