Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dawgstar posted:

Reading that it doesn't feel like you'd rocket out of control, or at least give the GM time to prepare for 'oh, they can jump really high now.'

yea basically, the slow build also helps the gm adapt to 'oh poo poo she can throw her lightsaber into guys' faces now, that's not great for this encounter' and helps the player not being overwhelmed when the other classes have a more narrow toolkit at start. It's a well designed system, and why it's (in my group's opinion at least) about the only SW tabletop game where you can have normies and jedi in a party and not have to pull your hair out trying to make Jeff The Smuggler Who Shoots Good feel useful when Shelly The Jedi Who Can Pull A Guy's Arm Off With A Free Action is fuckin around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Yeah, thanks for answering all the questions I have. Probably gonna run Gatekeeper after X-Mas. My players are pretty pumped. I've been DMing for years, just never tried this game. I like what I'm reading.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I have thought about going Force-Sensitive, but I'm pretty sure that for the same XP investment I can be a walking pillbox and have points left over for skills.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a giant box of pills in your ship, kid

Dzurlord
Nov 5, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I don't believe there is a Genesys specific thread still so; are there any decent Space Fantasy sources for Genesys? I found this on DTRPG and I'm wondering if there is more.

I haven't seen any others, but I'm pretty sure the folks who wrote that will be coming out with more material for it... soon? Ish?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Huh I didn't realize Force Rating 2 was in the reach of a starting character (albeit with some heavy compromises, naturally).

I think if my Outlaw Tech Verpine guy bites it during our run through Mask of the Pirate Queen I'll re-roll as a dathomiri nightsister witch, apropos of a pretty cool character in the new vidya.

They are human beings right?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Don't the rules say you can't come out of chargen with an FR higher than 1 in a non-Knight level game? Or am I making that up?

Of course it's all dependent on GM really.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Owlbear Camus posted:

They are human beings right?

According to Wookieepedia they're technically Zabrak but female Dathomiri don't seem to have horns or anything aside from facial tattoos.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I thought they were a hybrid of zabrak and human ancestry, but yea they're functionally Weird Humans at this point with some Zabraks too.

Also yea I don't think you can start at Force 2 unless it's Knight level to begin with. Tbh I wouldn't do it personally because those compromises to get there are gonna leave you really lacking in everything but 'do Force poo poo' and that kinda kills the fun of being a jedi supposedly in hiding and all to me.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

If I were dead-set on it it would be "legal" to cheese it by buying all the way up to the talent before the Force Rating one (say "natural mystic" in the mystic/seer tree) and just spending my first 25 XP to nab it, right?

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Sure. I just wouldn't beeline the ones where it's at the end because chargen is the only time you can buy attributes

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Crumbletron posted:

Sure. I just wouldn't beeline the ones where it's at the end because chargen is the only time you can buy attributes

But... the perfect symmetry of a statline that's 2's across the board, including Force Rating. :v:

E: I just realized one of the splats released recently actually has a dedicated Nightsister tree that has force rating as a teir 1 talent.

Meaning if I'm not mistaken it's easy to beeline to FR2 by taking it as a second specialization tree after a F&D one, and sort of busted since it would encourage any Jedi PC to say "oh yeah I uhh, travelled to dathomir between sessions and studied their mysteries, slightly"

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/6/5/the-witches-of-dathomir/

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 3, 2019

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

"Gains Force Rating 1" like in the Nightsister tree just means you get a basic Force Rating if you don't already have one. "Gain +1 Force Rating" is what you're looking for - which is basically only ever at the end of a tree.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

cargohills posted:

"Gains Force Rating 1" like in the Nightsister tree just means you get a basic Force Rating if you don't already have one. "Gain +1 Force Rating" is what you're looking for - which is basically only ever at the end of a tree.

Ah, thank you. I'm so used to it just being a gimmie for taking the tree with the other force careers I didn't notice the distinction.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

According to Wookieepedia they're technically Zabrak but female Dathomiri don't seem to have horns or anything aside from facial tattoos.

Ventress was a Rattataki for a while, but they seem to have retconned a specific Dathomir species into existence.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Found the Nightsister tree and it's still the fastest way to beeline to FR: 2, though with a straight shot down the tree. But it goes through a 20 point talent that appears useless unless your party has at least one other NS who takes it.

The attuned goo weapon stuff seems pretty neat.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Madurai posted:

Ventress was a Rattataki for a while, but they seem to have retconned a specific Dathomir species into existence.

It seems like they split the difference and now she was raised on Rattatak after the slaver took her from Dathomir.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
But the Nightsisters aren't Zabrak, only the brothers are, which makes the LEAST sense.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I found a "species master list" that lists which books all the possible aliens are in, is there something similar (or even just a list of stats I can then Wookiepedia the fluff) for weapons and ships available somewhere? Some of my players are just like, "I want a staff", and it feels awkward to scour the internet looking what is presumably in some adventure module for one of the product lines I have no interest in.

I bought the F&D core, beginner box (mostly for dice), a set of dice, and Chronicles of the Gatekeeper. I have someone on Etsy making a custom Jedi Holocron for me as the main prop of the game. Gonna be a good one, I think. Starting in Jan. I'll post some trip reports (maybe in the catpiss thread? It hasn't been catpissy for a while) if anyone would be interested to see newbies (to this system).

I have a real hard time wrestling with picking a F&D career versus one of the jedi emergent or padawan things in the other books. I'm looking at maybe having 4 Force Sensitives of varying ages and species, and it almost seems a disservice to not them give them their initial bounty hunter or engineer etc. jobs that they are coming into the game as their background. For simplicity's sake I think just having the F&D careers is best? What do you guys think?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
There is an official Gadgets and gear book out now, the vehicle one is up next.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I picked it up on a whim. After a cursory skim my first take away is the unique gear (vader and fetts armor) should be a sidebar in the NPC book with their entries. It's a weird inclusion here unless your players can just say "yeah I'll go to the space jc penny and get some of thar Vader armor too."

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Firstborn posted:

I found a "species master list" that lists which books all the possible aliens are in, is there something similar (or even just a list of stats I can then Wookiepedia the fluff) for weapons and ships available somewhere? Some of my players are just like, "I want a staff", and it feels awkward to scour the internet looking what is presumably in some adventure module for one of the product lines I have no interest in.

I have a real hard time wrestling with picking a F&D career versus one of the jedi emergent or padawan things in the other books. I'm looking at maybe having 4 Force Sensitives of varying ages and species, and it almost seems a disservice to not them give them their initial bounty hunter or engineer etc. jobs that they are coming into the game as their background. For simplicity's sake I think just having the F&D careers is best? What do you guys think?
http://swrpg.viluppo.net/ should cover your equipment needs, the gadgets and gear book is really nice, though.

When I do an EotE focused game I still like to have people start with the careers from that book just because they're more thematically appropriate. I also tend to make the first xp award to be enough to buy one of the universal force careers and a force power, although you could always just start people with two careers as well. The nice thing about the exile/outcast is that they don't add any career skills so it helps the players stay focused in their initial path for a bit.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I really like the idea of giving them extra XP just to buy a specialization and a Force power. Thanks.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I'm weirdly inspired to do a short unofficial "Mandalorian Era Gazetteer" when the season wraps, using canon sources and filling in what I can based on reasonable inference.

What should I aim to cover?
The State of the Galaxy: The Fringe, The New Republic, and the Remnant Warlords
Currency and Exchange in a time of transition
The Guild
New Worlds, and changes to the familiar ones.
Tools of the trade.

Is Beskar covered in one of the sourcebooks?

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 9, 2019

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Genesys-talk:

I really, really, really liked FFG Live's Shadow of the Beanstalk one-off adventure that Sam GM'd for back in Feb or so. He recently did a fantasy one that apparently turns into an Android one that I'm about to listen to. No wonder that guy is the head of FFG's (tiny) RPG division, he's a good GM.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Owlbear Camus posted:

Is Beskar covered in one of the sourcebooks?
I don't think beskar is specifically mentioned in any sourcebooks. But I believe a beskar suit is just Mandalorian Armor with the Cortosis Weave and Superior Customization upgrades. There's a sidebar in No Disintegrations that supports this reading.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

What would be the progress if somebody wanted to play a Mandalorian Human and actually have their own suit? Is there a particular tree or do they just have to save up and Git Gud at customizing gear?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Dawgstar posted:

What would be the progress if somebody wanted to play a Mandalorian Human and actually have their own suit? Is there a particular tree or do they just have to save up and Git Gud at customizing gear?

You just need good tech skills and a crapton of credits.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

If I were running the campaign I'd turn getting the iron and finding a forgemaster/mistress into a whole personal sub-plot.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Play a human, get Mandalorian armor as soon as you can afford it, then get customizations as soon as you can afford them. (The unofficial Species Guide has special rules for Mandalorian humans, but they're not necessary.) The TV show even gives you an out: the Mandalorian cultists have to earn their armor piece by piece.

For trees, you may want the Death Watch Warrior spec from Collapse of the Republic. It's a frontline fighter tree with some talents based around jetpack combat.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Thing I might go Magus/Nightsister Witch for my Witch. The Magus tree is a straight shot to a bottom teir talent that branches laterally to an attribut AND Force Rating on either side, and it seems to lend itself to it both thematically and synergizing with a Goo Sword build.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
One of the official books has rules for Mandalorian humans, actually.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Azran posted:

One of the official books has rules for Mandalorian humans, actually.

The AoR adventure "Friends Like These."

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Your free skill has to be inn combat poo poo.

Tada, Mando.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Fwiw the "official" writeup is:
2s across the board (theyre still human beans)
Wounds 11+
Strain 10+
105 xp
One rank in a combat skill of your choice OR one rank in each of two knowledge skills (usual starting no higher than 2 restriction)

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Halloween Jack posted:

For trees, you may want the Death Watch Warrior spec from Collapse of the Republic. It's a frontline fighter tree with some talents based around jetpack combat.

Isn't that a universal spec, not a starting one?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Well yeah, but you're probably not going to start with a jetpack either. Those things are expensive. I'd just start with one of the Bounty Hunter or Hired Gun specs. (I believe Gadgeteer was meant to be the out-of-the-box Boba Fett spec, and it has a lot of overlap with DWW, so you either really want to start with it or really don't.)

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 11, 2019

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So I've been casting about wanting to run a Padawan game for the Clone Wars era and... think I maybe have a pitch? The idea I had while coming home from the FLGS is 'Orphans of Grievous' where the General killed their masters and now 4-6 half-trained Padawans running around and the Jedi are kinda hard-pressed to know what to do with them.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Then they get shipped off to some backwater hermitage planet to be trained by an unofficially retired Master who is nominally responsible for guarding some relics/information that is regarded to be relatively unimportant until oops, someone comes looking for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dawgstar posted:

So I've been casting about wanting to run a Padawan game for the Clone Wars era and... think I maybe have a pitch? The idea I had while coming home from the FLGS is 'Orphans of Grievous' where the General killed their masters and now 4-6 half-trained Padawans running around and the Jedi are kinda hard-pressed to know what to do with them.
It sounds like a great idea!

I seem to recall there was a Legends story (I think a comic?) where this idea was explored where they try to kill Grievous.