Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Internet Wizard posted:

It belongs in the Smithsonian, not some techbro's ~private collection~

It belongs in a museum!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/wuerker/status/1204421527237738496?s=19

A potential difference here is that Nixon was likely much smarter than Trump is, but still.

Nixon's Twitter would also be a lot more anti-Semitic.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Which hunt?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Here is the only reason why I still personally think the chances of Trump getting convicted are around 5%, when they should be 0%.

https://twitter.com/dsamuelsohn/status/1204433592593473536?s=19

I've been very curious if a convicted president even *can* hold office again. So based on these articles (which are remarkably well written!) it's absolutely true that a convinced Donnie would have an absolute assload of money to gently caress with anyone he wants, but he couldn't be in a federal office ever again.

Thus, 5%.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 10, 2019

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I don't see it making it through the Senate tbh, unless the GOP decides to throw him under the bus in the hope of holding 2020.
Which.... while not impossible, seems pretty unlikely

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
16 senators still have to flip. The only known yes from a republican is Romney. Collins is a maybe.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
Hey guys, maybe 2020 will see Trump removed from office AND the Patriots meaningfully punished for cheating!!!

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Flikken posted:

Hey guys, maybe 2020 will see Trump removed from office AND the Patriots meaningfully punished for cheating!!!

Sure, and maybe they'll bring back 3D Doritos.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

BigDave posted:

Why they've never done that baffles me. It's one of the few early 2000s things that isn't horrible.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Bags of 3D doritos just disappear in my presence, it's uncanny

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

Why they've never done that baffles me. It's one of the few early 2000s things that isn't horrible.

The late 90s/early 00s had some good rear end snacks.

I loved 3d Doritos.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Impeachment keeps scandals in the news and right now a majority of the country wants him removed. The pundit class believes it's bad for democrats as an axiom though, and that's the headspace democrats live in, so they're trying to wrap this up quickly.

If it was actually good for republicans you'd see a bunch of vulnerable Rs going all in on defending Trump. But the faster it gets done the faster Pelosi can go back to doing nothing.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
GOP Senators MIGHT lose re-election if they don't impeach Trump. They WILL lose a primary if they vote impeach him.

Both parties are more worried about losing a primary to someone to the left or right of them than they are a general election.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I haven't seen a single Trump supporter or sympathizer who believes anything in the impeachment.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Like Trump bragged, he could go out in the street and murder someone in broad daylight with witnesses and he would be absolved by his base.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

BigDave posted:

In the early game of XCOM once, I had three shots to kill a sectoid, something like a 43% chance, a 33% chance, and a 20% chance. Thinking it was close-ish to 100% combined (knowing that's not how probabilities work though), I took all three shots, but all missed.

But, the third shot went wide in the exact right way, hitting the fuel tanker that the sectoid was hiding behind, killing the sectoid even though it was announced and shown as a miss.

What I'm basically saying is that the chance of that hilarious nonsense happening are about the same chance that Donnie gets convicted and kicked out. There *should* be zero chance of the president's own party kicking him out. But, with the constant on-background trashing of Trump by GOP staffers and senators on a near-daily basis, it's improbable, not impossible!

The Patriots won't be punished though, let's not be unreasonable here.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Best Friends posted:

Impeachment keeps scandals in the news and right now a majority of the country wants him removed. The pundit class believes it's bad for democrats as an axiom though, and that's the headspace democrats live in, so they're trying to wrap this up quickly.

If it was actually good for republicans you'd see a bunch of vulnerable Rs going all in on defending Trump. But the faster it gets done the faster Pelosi can go back to doing nothing.

The majority of the country didn't want him in the first place, though.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

A Bad Poster posted:

The majority of the country didn't want him in the first place, though.

BUT SIXTY MILLION AMERICANS VOTED FOR TRUMP! WHAT ABOUT THEM?!!! - Some GOP bootlicker I heard on the morning news.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
drat. Hell of a deal!

https://twitter.com/mateagold/status/1204459275097182215?s=19

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It's a bit "sky blue, water wet" to this crowd but A confidential trove of government documents obtained by The Washington Post reveals that senior U.S. officials failed to tell the truth about the war in Afghanistan throughout the 18-year campaign, making rosy pronouncements they knew to be false and hiding unmistakable evidence the war had become unwinnable. Pentagon Papers 2: Afghan boogaloo.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

extremely late-stage empire energy

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The only thing we learned from Vietnam was how to keep our own people quiet and complacent.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

FrozenVent posted:

Dude should auction that off, it’s a piece of internet history.

Started at $75, currently at $99

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Johnny-Fiveaces-Original-Zybourne-Clock-Concept-Art/362845817014?hash=item547b4bc8b6:g:T7kAAOSw8Add797W

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Fister Roboto posted:

The only thing we learned from Vietnam was how to keep our own people quiet and complacent.

Did the post vietnam depression come from more a place of us losing or because we weren't quite the good guys we liked the jerk ourselves off over? A little of both? In any case, I doubt we're going to have any similar sort of reckoning if (and that's the biggest if you ever saw) this poo poo ever actually concludes.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

Did the post vietnam depression come from more a place of us losing or because we weren't quite the good guys we liked the jerk ourselves off over? A little of both? In any case, I doubt we're going to have any similar sort of reckoning if (and that's the biggest if you ever saw) this poo poo ever actually concludes.
Vietnam is a different thing to different people. Maybe you feel bad about the terrible loss of life on both sides, which could have been avoided. Maybe you lost your innocence because the government blatantly lied about so much. Or maybe you're an idiot incapable of learning lessons and think we would have won if we'd murdered more civies.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Yes but how is Joe Biden involved?! :freep:

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

I think its just going to be delayed as gen z and younger grow up in a US without a living memory of when we were the good guys

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

We learned that most Americans only "cared" about the war when their own family and friends could be conscripted to die there.

No draft, no problem.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
We never addressed just how wrong we were in Vietnam, and we sure as gently caress aren't going to do it here. The anti-war left was so thoroughly crushed that the most virtuous act you can undertake today is joining the military to go kill foreigners for the rich. We are, as a country, absolutely hosed in the head.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Proud Christian Mom posted:

We never addressed just how wrong we were in Vietnam, and we sure as gently caress aren't going to do it here. The anti-war left was so thoroughly crushed that the most virtuous act you can undertake today is joining the military to go kill foreigners for the rich. We are, as a country, absolutely hosed in the head.

They should have been spitting on congressmen, not returning conscripted soldiers.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

That Works posted:

They should have been spitting on congressmen, not returning conscripted soldiers.

No one was spit on

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

BigDave posted:

Yes but how is Joe Biden involved?! :freep:

Serious question: Wasn't Biden one of the hawks urging Obama not to pull troops out of Afghanistan?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Proud Christian Mom posted:

No one was spit on

Oh ok

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

i don't know what you're trying to say but a lot of stories about vietnam vets being spit on and socially ostracized were invented wholesale or left out key information.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

One, possibly two gunmen ambushed some cops in Jersey city and have taken hostages in a Jewish supermarket. Lots of shots fired.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

As a result everyone is afraid to relitigate Iraq wish is a shame. The Republicans should have that hung around their necks until they cease existing. I think the Dems are afraid of loving up the narrative by dredging up the past, and some of the older ones are guilty of letting them get away with it at the start knowing it was all lies.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Smiling Jack posted:

One, possibly two gunmen ambushed some cops in Jersey city and have taken hostages in a Jewish supermarket. Lots of shots fired.

RIP the hostages

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Casimir Radon posted:

As a result everyone is afraid to relitigate Iraq wish is a shame. The Republicans should have that hung around their necks until they cease existing. I think the Dems are afraid of loving up the narrative by dredging up the past, and some of the older ones are guilty of letting them get away with it at the start knowing it was all lies.

Or if you're Nancy Pelosi, admitting you knew it was BS and going along with it anyway.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Now at $271 after 2 hours of bidding. It still has 6 days, 22 hours left. I'm thinking it tops out around $500.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Slim Pickens posted:

Now at $271 after 2 hours of bidding. It still has 6 days, 22 hours left. I'm thinking it tops out around $500.

Elon Musk will find out about it and it'll go to 5 digits

Arc Light posted:

We learned that most Americans only "cared" about the war when their own family and friends could be conscripted to die there.

No draft, no problem.

We have Milton Friedman to thank for abolishing the draft. The a great way to end endless wars would be to bring it back though.