Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Pick posted:

It is extremely difficult to gauge where those parameters are. The forums definitely haven't come to an answer about banal, everyday sexism and that's been a concern since I began posting in 09.

Then we're lucky that the bigotry in fyad hasn't been subtle or ambiguous in any way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Who What Now posted:

It's extremely not. Jesus Christ, all of this is extremely easy if you have even a modicrum of empathy for trans posters.

I'm not even talking about exclusively trans posters here, since I take it as given that the mods and admins are also going to be discussing FYAD's racism etc.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The mods and admins have a big discussion on their hands about the character of the forums and what is and isn't in keeping with that character and that encompasses far more than discourse about any one demographic.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

heck, im with you guys

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
fyad ended up advocating 'ironic' hate speech sincerely and the long precedent of "it's just fyad" isn't enough anymore to justify hate speech no matter how ironic it is. personally i think it's for the best that the mods try to encourage a posting voice that is better than youtube comment level

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Part of the discussion should start with what they can do to address the issues that the trans-goons brought up. It's absolutely going to need to cover a wide discourse, but that community was the one that's had to just deal until now, so they're owed some reassurance.

We're essentially asking the Forum Wilds to reign it in because the landscape has changed and we can't afford a little bubble of even mock/ironic bigotry. poo poo like that is baked into the fabric of most online spaces so it'll take some time to come around to a solution and some are going to bristle about it.

I'd venture that we all use this space and relative anonymity to let of some steam now and again in addition to being oddly earnest at times. So it'll be about making sure we're not transgressing into outright stupid poo poo where it's unwarranted.

FilthyImp has a new favorite as of 17:58 on Dec 10, 2019

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

luxury handset posted:

fyad ended up advocating 'ironic' hate speech sincerely and the long precedent of "it's just fyad" isn't enough anymore to justify hate speech no matter how ironic it is. personally i think it's for the best that the mods try to encourage a posting voice that is better than youtube comment level

They have a discussion that is bigger than FYAD. One of the issues they're grappling with is that "the forums" are really a collection of forums. There's often very little cross-pollination. Unfortunately, FYAD beliefs (ironic or not) are probably not out of the mainstream in some of the other communities here which may not be front-and-center of this current discussion, but clearly will be.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Irony died when reality became stupider than we could have ever imagined

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
I'm tired and stressed out hoping that the admins will actually do something about this more than hand out a few bans to people known for avoiding bans and using alts...

It's been a rough week for trans and enby peeps here, we just want to be safe, but of course fyad and KiwiFarms are doing their best to screw us over irl now.

I might try and write up everything once this is all over.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

FAU posted:

Another fun thing about spending too much time online: managing to have earth's most pointless, embarrassing, and self-inflicted mental health episode on a dying internet forum.

Your thing wasn’t even in the top one thousand most pointless and embarrassing self-inflicted mental health episodes on the forums.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Ariong posted:

Your thing wasn’t even in the top one thousand most pointless and embarrassing self-inflicted mental health episodes on the forums.

the only really shameful part of the whole episode was the instant re-reg, shoulda gave it at least a couple of hours to steep. but that's a minor posting infraction, by the by

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Did... did anyone not think that FYAD was 95 percent Kiwifarms posters by volume?

FAU
Dec 9, 2019

stupid newbie

Ariong posted:

That's... very fair. This is SA.

e: cspam bought me this av

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Anarchist Mae posted:

I'm tired and stressed out hoping that the admins will actually do something about this more than hand out a few bans to people known for avoiding bans and using alts...

It's been a rough week for trans and enby peeps here, we just want to be safe, but of course fyad and KiwiFarms are doing their best to screw us over irl now.

I might try and write up everything once this is all over.

Please don't

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Never forget that a goon had a genuine mental breakdown over Goku's pants.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Don't what? Have I hosed up?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

See now that I can understand

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
How about something from an older great saga?

https://twitter.com/kunert_ebooks/s...genumber%3D1423

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Pick posted:

Actually there's a weirdly high number of the subforums I've never clicked on and don't know what they mean. PHIZ?

e: oh that's the drugs one I think

Since no one else did I'll point out that the drug forum is TCC and PHIZ is "pretentious hipster irony zone" if I'm not mistaken.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Did... did anyone not think that FYAD was 95 percent Kiwifarms posters by volume?

a lot of folks don't really keep tabs on fyad or what goes on there

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

luxury handset posted:

Yeah, I've just always assumed it was the part of the map that says "there be (grand) dragons here"

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Anarchist Mae posted:

Don't what? Have I hosed up?

I sincerely doubt kiwi farms is any major degree of fyad posters and kiwi farms would love you to think otherwise because they hate fyad and would love to see it's posters owned. Now, lowtax on the other hand did post on kiwi farms to "set the record straight" on shmorky and even complained during that big shmorky thread that he wished SA was more like kiwi farms because they were making mediocre photoshops about the whole thing.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

The Glumslinger posted:

Yeah, I've just always assumed it was the part of the map that says "there be (grand) dragons here"

:drat:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

luxury handset posted:

A lot of subforums drama incidents come down to the fact that people tend to settle on a few subforums that interest them and rarely venture out. The main reason that FYAD had a reputation for shining a light on bad behavior in other subs is, in my opinion, just because the people there actually go and look around once in a while.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Nuns with Guns posted:

I sincerely doubt kiwi farms is any major degree of fyad posters and kiwi farms would love you to think otherwise because they hate fyad and would love to see it's posters owned. Now, lowtax on the other hand did post on kiwi farms to "set the record straight" on shmorky and even complained during that big shmorky thread that he wished SA was more like kiwi farms because they were making mediocre photoshops about the whole thing.

Yeah nah, I'm gonna believe the fyad poster posting on KiwiFarms.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
It just needs to return to its origins as a forum about the wonders of Goatse

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

It's this. KF in general lusts for SA's death, all of it. There is active poster crossover, but less than you'd think.

Incidentally it's always pretty funny rolling into KF to see what they're up to and seeing a bunch of perma'd dweebs complaining that SA should roll back to the "good old days" of the mid 2000's and obsessing over Lowtax. Guys: time is a forward arrow. Things change. People grow. You should try it.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Kay Kessler posted:

Never forget that a goon had a genuine mental breakdown over Goku's pants.
It of all the drama I've been around for, that one was my favorite. Also, it wasn't just Goku's pants. It was also being goatsed

Ariong posted:

it wasn't in the top ten for yesterday alone

Anarchist Mae posted:

yeah i remember leaving the forums for awhile before the election because transphobia was still really common against nonbinary people especially at the time. and at least then the lgbt mock threads in fyad and on somethingsensitive and kiwifarms were almost identical. didn't fyad invent the word troon? the one now used by terfs as a general slur?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Anarchist Mae posted:

I mean you're welcome to side with the forum that happily doxxed a half dozen trans posters + some GBS mods, and bragged about scraping the trans thread and ladies chatting thread for shits and giggles because someone leaked an image of a heated exchange between FAU and lowtax to twitter, but it looks to me like they're trying to capitalize on the chaos

Ariong posted:

A lot of subforums drama incidents come down to the fact that people tend to settle on a few subforums that interest them and rarely venture out. The main reason that FYAD had a reputation for shining a light on bad behavior in other subs is, in my opinion, just because the people there actually go and look around once in a while.

Yeah I think the biggest issue is with how segmented SA is for a single website. It's pretty easy for mods and regular posters to lose a sense of perspective and apparently even FYAD falls victim to it.

Nuns with Guns has a new favorite as of 18:39 on Dec 10, 2019

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Araenna posted:

It of all the drama I've been around for, that one was my favorite. Also, it wasn't just Goku's pants. It was also being goatsed

it wasn't in the top ten for yesterday alone

yeah i remember leaving the forums for awhile before the election because transphobia was still really common against nonbinary people especially at the time. and at least then the lgbt mock threads in fyad and on somethingsensitive and kiwifarms were almost identical. didn't fyad invent the word troon? the one now used by terfs as a general slur?

I thought troon literally came from, and was popularized by, the old E/N trans support threads. Like it wasnt intended as a slur, just a portmanteau of trans and goon. Could be wrong.

Another fun wrinkle, at least one, possibly multiple, of the goons talking about agp in that fyad thread are, themselves, trans.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Glumslinger posted:

:lol: yeah, even back in the good old days of the early 00's, I never went there because I didn't get it, and I guess I still don't get it

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

purple death ray posted:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

One More Fat Nerd posted:

I thought troon literally came from, and was popularized by, the old E/N trans support threads. Like it wasnt intended as a slur, just a portmanteau of trans and goon. Could be wrong.

Another fun wrinkle, at least one, possibly multiple, of the goons talking about agp in that fyad thread are, themselves, trans.

Yeah, we’re getting a lot of “it’s not bigotry if minorities participate” in QCS right now. Also a lot of accusing trans people of being upset due to mental illness. Reader beware.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Pick posted:

It is extremely difficult to gauge where those parameters are. The forums definitely haven't come to an answer about banal, everyday sexism and that's been a concern since I began posting in 09.

Goddamn you have no idea about what's going on do you

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Do you?!

Legitimate question, because I don’t.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Goddamn you have no idea about what's going on do you
It's Pick, are you really surprised?

Gum posted:

The question is if explicit bigotry is allowed on the forums. It is not a hard question to answer
:emptyquote:

FAU
Dec 9, 2019

stupid newbie

Nuns with Guns posted:

I mean you're welcome to side with the forum that happily doxxed a half dozen trans posters + some GBS mods, and bragged about scraping the trans thread and ladies chatting thread for shits and giggles because someone leaked an image of a heated exchange between FAU and lowtax to twitter, but it looks to me like they're trying to capitalize on the chaos
I love this idea they had that any disagreements are signs of the forums collapsing, and not just people arguing because people argue when they disagree.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Pick posted:

It is extremely difficult to gauge where those parameters are.

It's actually super easy, Pick.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

FAU posted:

I love this idea they had that any disagreements are signs of the forums collapsing, and not just people arguing because people argue when they disagree.

the forums are collapsing anyway, have been collapsing and will continue to collapse, as is the fate of all forums when offsites are ever easier to set up in some form or another

people do like to put weight behind their specific criticism by attributing forums collapse as an outcome of whatever thing they're complaining about. all you people posting badly are also the reason my hair is grayer and i can't stay out late on saturday nights anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

luxury handset posted:

purple death ray posted:

Pretty much.

Who What Now posted:

It's actually super easy, Pick.

Do you have any mode other than 24/7 abusive and insulting to everyone?