Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
So it sounds like there will be two Cole Kickstarters coming up I'll be backing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Rusty Kettle posted:

So it sounds like there will be two Cole Kickstarters coming up I'll be backing.

Sure. Oath and John company. I wouldn’t expect an infamous traffic for 2-3 years.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I know this has come up before, but is there a recommendation for a good intro to COIN games? Ideally something that works at various player counts.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Funzo posted:

I know this has come up before, but is there a recommendation for a good intro to COIN games? Ideally something that works at various player counts.

Buy whichever COIN appeals to you most. Buying something else as a lead-in, or buying one of the "intro" games in the series will only leave you feeling underwhelmed and you'll just end up buying another more satisfying entry.

The complexity delta between easiest and most complicated isn't even that big in the scheme of things, and you'll easily get over that if it's something you're interested in.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Funzo posted:

To add to CaptainApathyUK's point (which is true, much of the fun comes from seeing historical events in an ahistorical order changing the outcome of a historical episode you're familiar with), all COIN games work best with full tables. The difference between a 4p COIN at 4p vs 2p is large enough that I'd say you should get a different game with variable player powers if you won't ever be able to play the 4p with four pee.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Maybe I'll take a look at some other games then, since getting more then 2 players is going make getting a game to the table harder.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Funzo posted:

Maybe I'll take a look at some other games then, since getting more then 2 players is going make getting a game to the table harder.

Colonial Twilight is 2p and should be up your alley.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Papes posted:

Sure. Oath and John company. I wouldn’t expect an infamous traffic for 2-3 years.

Yep, and just to specify, Oath is Cole's game through his day job with Leder Games. This will be Root-like in that it has Kyle Ferrin's art and made in Leder's style as far as boxes and production goes.

John Company is Cole's own design under his new label Wehrlegig Games, which made brought us Pax Pamir 2e. There's no real details as to how JoCo will change, but it will probably be upgraded considerably if we're using PaxPam as an example.

And yes, he said he would let AIT rest for a few years to better calculate demand (?) before he kickstarts it through his Wehrlegig label.

Also, he's working on something during the American reformation (edit: reconstruction) time, which will be a new Wehrlegig thing.

Ravendas fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 10, 2019

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Rusty Kettle posted:

2 Cole games and Frosthaven all arriving at about the same time is going to be hell on my wallet. I don't even want more games but sometimes you just have to make a mockery of your own preferences.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cole has said John Company won't receive an overhaul. He primarily wants to address issues as a result of the game's physical format which negatively impacted learning and the execution of some ideas he had to cut.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
JoCo will have an update pack content-wise for people who already own it, and by all accounts the new edition will be a Pamir 2e quality production.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Ravendas posted:

Also, he's working on something during the American reformation time, which will be a new Wehrlegig thing.

“Reconstruction”. Which will be a challenging topic to cover as American schools teach it in two opposing ways. “Carpetbaggers” and “Scallywags” were vocab terms I was tested on in middle school :(

But overall I understand JoCo will be a “revised edition” compared to Pax Pam’s “second edition”. Cole has mentioned multiple times on BGG that he wants to provide an “upgrade tier” for previous owners to get a cleaned up rulebook and whatever other small changes are made.

E: beaten severely

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Triskelli posted:

“Reconstruction”. Which will be a challenging topic to cover as American schools teach it in two opposing ways. “Carpetbaggers” and “Scallywags” were vocab terms I was tested on in middle school :(

But overall I understand JoCo will be a “revised edition” compared to Pax Pam’s “second edition”. Cole has mentioned multiple times on BGG that he wants to provide an “upgrade tier” for previous owners to get a cleaned up rulebook and whatever other small changes are made.

E: beaten severely

re- word skipped my brain for a sec there, yeah I know which time period it's referring to. Edited my post, thanks.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Finding out the name Reconstruction Era has been very interesting for me because the other day I was wondering what American's called the Victorian Era, for ....erm....reasons a lot of the world called it the Victorian Era but obviously that makes no sense in America. So now I know it was

The Era of Good Feelings
Jacksonian Era
Civil War Era
Reconstruction era
Gilded Age
Progressive Era

that cover Victorian Era.

I feel you fell off a bit after naming one the Era of Good Feelings though.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Gilded Age is pretty good. The time before income tax!

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
So I just watched a video review of Bus, and it looks really good. The rules seem deceptively simple, way more approachable than I would think given Splotter's super-heavy reputation.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Llyranor posted:

So I just watched a video review of Bus, and it looks really good. The rules seem deceptively simple, way more approachable than I would think given Splotter's super-heavy reputation.

Splotters aren't necessarily super heavy, they're just deep. Antiquity isn't that hard really, there's just a million options.

I've got Bus in an order on CSI that's being held up by a $14 preorder that won't ship for weeks :|

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Llyranor posted:

Yeah all Splotter games are like this. Very simple rules to weight ratio. They're the kings of the "simply complex" approach.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Is Bus Splotter's "simplest" game?

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

Bodanarko posted:

Aramoro posted:

Afghanistan is famous for it's resin.
Everyone is really just going to sleep on this one, huh

I thought it was mighty clever.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Llyranor posted:

Is Bus Splotter's "simplest" game?

I think TGZ might be.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I think TGZ might be.

Bus is so much simpler than TGZ. No prices, no special powers, no bidding, no horribly complex route planning. It's just actions and timing.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I was hoping December BGG store update would include some JP games from whatever haul they get every year. Oh well. Does anyone know when they tend to list them? Or do they only go to the spring Tokyo game market?

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I've been reading up on Oath and I'm totally on board. I also saw they're planning on a reprint of Pax Pamir early next year, which I'm also looking to get in on. My poor wallet.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Funzo posted:

I've been reading up on Oath and I'm totally on board. I also saw they're planning on a reprint of Pax Pamir early next year, which I'm also looking to get in on. My poor wallet.

PaxPam2e's reprint will be a part of the John Company kickstarter (supposedly) early next year.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Ravendas posted:

PaxPam2e's reprint will be a part of the John Company kickstarter (supposedly) early next year.

So now three games I'm going to buy then.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

What's people opinion on Ice Cool 1 and 2, should I grab both as a present for someone who makes fillers. Do the combo maps make it that much better?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Quixotic1 posted:

What's people opinion on Ice Cool 1 and 2, should I grab both as a present for someone who makes fillers. Do the combo maps make it that much better?

Ice Cool is a great flicking game that's unique because the way the penguins are designed it's not just crokinole with rules bloat. You can actually do interesting shots the way they are weighted. More map configurations means more variety between plays.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Quixotic1 posted:

The massive maps are awesome and worth the price of admission.

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer

Quixotic1 posted:

It's one of the best dexterity games that's both accessible to kids but still fun for adults. The extra map configurations add variety, and the ability to play with up to 8 people makes it a great party game if you've got the table space.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Another interesting boardgame find at the thrift shops today! Today I spotted this odd looking 1980s game about D&D characters conquering space? I was such an odd concept I had to pick it up. But the game seems to be mechanically quite interesting (at least for a Parker Brothers game from the 1980s!). All the pieces were there so that was nice (always an issue with second hand board games) and I really love the art. 1980s fantasy art is just the best. It came with a couple d8s, which is high-nerdery for a parkerbros game:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1146/shadowlord

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Someone made me play that once for their childhood nostalgia kick and I despised it but who the gently caress knows if we played it right.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Corbeau posted:

e: Or for another analogy, Cthulhu Wars is like an entire game of Dominions 5 packed into a few short hours. :v:

Does anyone have an impression for how Cthulhu Wars compares to the other Sandy Peterson game God’s War?

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Ravendas posted:

Wow, will somebody please have a word with Cole and tell him to show my wallet some mercy? It's becoming almost unsavoury at this point.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

radmonger posted:

Does anyone have an impression for how Cthulhu Wars compares to the other Sandy Peterson game God’s War?

Gods War only very recently made its way to backers. My FLCS owner bought into it, but I haven't played it yet.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Redundant posted:

Wow, will somebody please have a word with Cole and tell him to show my wallet some mercy? It's becoming almost unsavoury at this point.

This will be in the same time period as Oath, Cole's leder game.

Three Cole games on kickstarter in Q1 2020 probably.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
is there actually anything interesting happening in either sandy peterson game or are they just more respectable luxury DOAM games.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
speaking of DOAM games, my last play of pax pam 2e got real 'gently caress the leader' at the end of it because we were all cash poor. kind of a fizzling end of the game. is that common or did we gently caress up in some way.

We did make like 2 big rules errors in tehat game though so i know it needs more plays to have a judgement but I want to know how everyone else's endgames have gone.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
How much money is floating around in Pax Pam is highly dependent on the subset of cards in that particular game. If you don't see many leverage cards (or get that money sink card) you can be pretty cash strapped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Impermanent posted:

is there actually anything interesting happening in either sandy peterson game or are they just more respectable luxury DOAM games.

I can't speak for God's War, but I like Cthulhu Wars for the different factions and the weird interactions they can produce. I consider it better than Chaos in the Old World, even if it may not be as well balanced.

I also wish they used standees or smaller minis because the actual physicality of the game makes it more difficult to actually get to a table, which seems dumber than any mechanical design flaw.