Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

That reminds me, big ups for Regina King and her delivery of "Get the gently caress up off the pool"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rugikiki posted:

He made waffles for his last supper, walked on water, and then for sooooooooooome reason just happened to let himself die mysteriously even when he had the power to stop it hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

lmao, nice call. Kinda feel stupid I overlooked this :doh:

HE IS RISEN :pray:

Jon died for our sins.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Zaphod42 posted:

lmao, nice call. Kinda feel stupid I overlooked this :doh:

HE IS RISEN :pray:

Jon died for our sins.

It's even set up with the eggs:

Wild T posted:

Also keep in mind the scene where Manhattan mentioned passing his abilities through a kind of eucharist involved him creating a simple egg. As soon as he's restored, the first thing he does is make waffles because he's 'hungry' and the eggs are dropped on the floor. Without the egg, maybe Manhattan had to make his waffles with something a little more special.

Calling it now: Dr. Manhattan gives Angela the blue waffle.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Are there people here thinking the gun actually killed him? He didn't stand around letting himself get killed, he let himself get teleported.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Wild T posted:

It's even set up with the eggs:

Nah I saw that and responded to it, and I get that. It seems very likely that he is going to pass on his powers somehow, they set up a clear Chekov's gun with him talking about passing his powers in the Saigon bar with Angela. That wasn't for nothing.

But what I missed was just the Christ allegory. Its extremely obvious with the walking-on-water thing, but I'm pretty used to Jon walking on water and being referred to as a God and just overlooked the whole "last supper, sacrifices himself" thing which when added to him walking on water at the last moment, makes it a clear Jesus metaphor.

Also as some goon pointed out before, the "its important for you to see this" Jon said when walking on water seemed way too significant to be nothing. Angela's gonna end up accidentally walking on water or something and realize she's a God already.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
He definitely stated outright that the gun would teleport him away TO BE destroyed. Which by itself is ambiguous on whether the destruction is successful or not.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Everyone here has clearly forgotten the graphic novel.

DM is nigh omnipotent except for his 3 weaknesses, he is unable to turn guns into steam, bullets into mercury or glass bottles into snowflakes. They clearly exploited this by making their teleportation device look like a gun.

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

zoux posted:

That reminds me, big ups for Regina King and her delivery of "Get the gently caress up off the pool"

It balanced out her delivery of "Did I cause this?"

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

Zaphod42 posted:

Nah I saw that and responded to it, and I get that. It seems very likely that he is going to pass on his powers somehow, they set up a clear Chekov's gun with him talking about passing his powers in the Saigon bar with Angela. That wasn't for nothing.

But what I missed was just the Christ allegory. Its extremely obvious with the walking-on-water thing, but I'm pretty used to Jon walking on water and being referred to as a God and just overlooked the whole "last supper, sacrifices himself" thing which when added to him walking on water at the last moment, makes it a clear Jesus metaphor.

Also as some goon pointed out before, the "its important for you to see this" Jon said when walking on water seemed way too significant to be nothing. Angela's gonna end up accidentally walking on water or something and realize she's a God already.

Ahem.

Calling it now:

Keene- What? How? When did you give them these powers?

Jon- I did it 35 minutes ago.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

Ahem.

Calling it now:

Keene- What? How? When did you give them these powers?

Jon- I did it 35 minutes ago.

Absolutely no way they would do this poo poo again. Veidt's "30 years ago" in the last episode was already borderline.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
So next episode definitely starts with her eating blue waffles, and then walking on the pool to test if she got da power, right? They set that up pretty hard.

Whether ya like or dislike this show, can everyone agree it's rad as heck that they didn't just remake the books into a tv show? Big props to the writers for having the cahoonas to actually try to expand without retelling what they know sells.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Bedshaped posted:

Everyone here has clearly forgotten the graphic novel.

DM is nigh omnipotent except for his 3 weaknesses, he is unable to turn guns into steam, bullets into mercury or glass bottles into snowflakes. They clearly exploited this by making their teleportation device look like a gun.

:five:

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!

The Dave posted:

Are there people here thinking the gun actually killed him? He didn't stand around letting himself get killed, he let himself get teleported.

I mean, I don't *know* he got killed because I'm experiencing time on a moment to moment basis like a chump and haven't seen the next episode yet. It did look like he got sucked into the thing, but who knows what that really means.

While Doc knows what's going to happen, he doesn't do things out of an obligation to fulfill the prophecy. He still makes decisions and reacts to other people's decisions, such as surprise at the cancer allegations, but he knows what the effects are ahead of time.

I'm not going to declare it bad writing yet, but I feel that there needs to be a payoff in the next episode to explain *why* he got shot beyond "he got shot because he got shot." If it turns out there wasn't a particular reason he let himself die, then he died for no reason, regardless of whether it was destiny.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Sesq posted:

I mean, I don't *know* he got killed because I'm experiencing time on a moment to moment basis like a chump and haven't seen the next episode yet. It did look like he got sucked into the thing, but who knows what that really means.

While Doc knows what's going to happen, he doesn't do things out of an obligation to fulfill the prophecy. He still makes decisions and reacts to other people's decisions, such as surprise at the cancer allegations, but he knows what the effects are ahead of time.

I'm not going to declare it bad writing yet, but I feel that there needs to be a payoff in the next episode to explain *why* he got shot beyond "he got shot because he got shot." If it turns out there wasn't a particular reason he let himself die, then he died for no reason, regardless of whether it was destiny.

This story is so stupid.

Jesus is God, why couldn’t he just strike down the Romans?

How could God die on a cross? That’s impossible!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

cjg posted:

It balanced out her delivery of "Did I cause this?"

That was also excellent, I'm afraid.

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

This story is so stupid.

Were I the LORD thy GOD I would've simply forgiven all of mankind of their sins without all the extra steps

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

zoux posted:

Were I the LORD thy GOD I would've simply forgiven all of mankind of their sins without all the extra steps

Well , HE IS WHAT HE IS.

But there’s a story reason it played out that way.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

zoux posted:

Yeah, it sounded like she was incredibly confused, kinda nauseous, and like she was quickly developing a headache, which is pretty spot on for how I would figure someone who just did something that they completely didn't see coming and don't understand.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

This story is so stupid.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Sesq posted:

My read of the tachyon gun scene was that Doc didn't notice the last 7th Cal member who was hiding, probably because he was preoccupied with saving Angela. Now, he was aware that he was going to be shot by the tachyon gun, but it was a surprise to him that he was shot by the tachyon gun. I mean, it's been talked about ad nauseum already, but while he seems to have an awareness of his future and his past all at once, he can still be surprised in the moment when he received information. Even when it's information that we know he already was aware of.

It's hard to make a whole lot of sense out of it, but then again, I can't imagine it's any less of a headache to write a story around. I'm willing to give the writing the benefit of the doubt to see how it all ends.

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Weedle posted:

No, but he seems like the kind of guy who might view them as the "lesser evil" and be willing to work with them in service of whatever his grand design is.

He also used the term "7th Cavalry" in the comic.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

zoux posted:

thatd be far too logical and straight forward, not leaving open the sequel hooks

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Berke Negri posted:

thatd be far too logical and straight forward, not leaving open the sequel hooks

The extra steps are when I carried you

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Zaphod42 posted:

I know and my answer is in response to the latter question.

Watchmen, Episode 9 posted:

"No, Jon! If you know that you're going to be hit by a truck then just avoid the road!"

"I'm sorry, Angela. Just as I am always falling in love with you, I am always being hit by a truck."

*lays motionless on the road for an hour until a semi drives over him*
Me, a poet: Bravissimo.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

EatinCake posted:

So next episode definitely starts with her eating blue waffles, and then walking on the pool to test if she got da power, right? They set that up pretty hard.

Whether ya like or dislike this show, can everyone agree it's rad as heck that they didn't just remake the books into a tv show? Big props to the writers for having the cahoonas to actually try to expand without retelling what they know sells.

It would bother me if eating a manhattan-egg gives you conventional style superhero superpowers without the rest of manhattans see-everything-at-once thing. I got the impression they were part and parcel of the same thing. Manhattan sees everything because he can look at the world like a cosmic engineer as well as manipulate it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

massive spider posted:

It would bother me if eating a manhattan-egg gives you conventional style superhero superpowers without the rest of manhattans see-everything-at-once thing. I got the impression they were part and parcel of the same thing. Manhattan sees everything because he can look at the world like a cosmic engineer as well as manipulate it.

You're overlooking the ENTIRE point of the andrian device. Manhattan has his powers the entire time. But because he forgets he has them, he effectively doesn't have them.

Remember how the show made such a huge deal out of how Cal was still Cal and managed to magick away one of the 7K members during the night raid? Manhattan always had his powers, he just forgot he had them.

Angela could see everything at once but she just hasn't realized it yet.

If Cal could see the future and the past, he would already know he's Manhattan. Cal doesn't realize he's Manhattan, therefor its plausible that Angela doesn't realize she's Manhattan.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

massive spider posted:

Except that when stricken by amnesia, he still has all of his powers, he just doesn't know that he has them. So someone could eat the drat egg and be normal until a traumatic event.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
Can't wait for Jon to regurgitate the egg he drank on the first date into Looking Glass' mouth, who is deep undercover in the 7th Cavalry.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

I wonder if we're just rehashing arguments from the 80s when the comic first came out.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

duck trucker posted:

I wonder if we're just rehashing arguments from the 80s when the comic first came out.

I mean these arguments occur within the very pages of the comic as well

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

just another posted:

Me, a poet: Bravissimo.

This encapsulates my feelings perfectly.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I'm backseat writing but it occurs to me they could have explained any differences between Manhattan in the comics versus this show by having the tachyon surge at the end of the comics be a sort of barrier separating his simultaneous perception of time.

The Dr. Manhattan of the comics experiences his entire life up to the tachyon surge simultaneously, and the Manhattan of the show experiences everything from the surge on, but remembers his entire life before in much the same way we all do. He would also remember, but not simultaneously perceive his 10 years as Cal.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I hope the last episode is 99% Lube Man origin story with only a slight mention of the Dr. Manhattan & Sister Night situation.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Bread Set Jettison posted:

My bold take is The senator does kill manhattan, but fails to become superpowered because of the Millenium Clock does ???? and everyone briefly celebrates. Then somehow that clock does something squid-bomb-esque like mind control people. OR memory wipe people even.

and post credit scene lube man, sitting on his throne of astroglide bottles begins to glow blue while letters rearrange themselves from LUBE MAN to BLUE MAN

Get this man a tv show

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

THIS IS HOW YOUR CANDIDATE EATS CINNAMON ROLLS, KODO
Compared to the beginning of this thread it's amazing how much more post activity is happening since episode 1.

Veidt getting tomatoes smudged in his face seems reminiscent of Jesus' bloody face as he's marched up to be crucified. I'm guessing the connection is Veidt was sent to Europa in the same way that God sent Jesus to Earth? It seems to track considering Dr. M abandons his creations (old testament God) and from what I understand the original comics used a lot allusions to Jesus with Veidt.

If I were a betting man, I would say Veidt is executed by Adam and Eve, but is brought back to life by the millennium clock, subsequently returning to his original home, heaven/Earth.

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Cash Monet posted:

BOLD PREDICTION: The senator is Veidt. It was set up in the third episode when Petey said "I heard he got plastic surgery". The suicide bomber being another red herring assassin like in the book would be another clue.

I just realized that this would totally complete the Odyssey references.

gently caress.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
I'm surprised that quote didn't get more play as a caption on pseud selfies.

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
I’m highly conflicted about the last ep - easily my least favorite so far and the Manhattan-time mechanic felt like the writers used it as an excuse to move the story forward. “Angela and Dr. Manhattan started dating because they were always going to date” might be sorta kinda true for the character of Dr. Manhattan, not really true for Angela (they really needed to spend more time showing what she saw in him) and ultimately, for me the viewer, just felt like a contrivance in this episode. I’m hopeful they can redeem it somehow in the finale but right now it is not landing as an organic relationship.

But in any case I’m going to go through after the finale and plan to do a victory lap of all the predictions I got right this season

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Jay-V posted:

I’m highly conflicted about the last ep - easily my least favorite so far and the Manhattan-time mechanic felt like the writers used it as an excuse to move the story forward. “Angela and Dr. Manhattan started dating because they were always going to date” might be sorta kinda true for the character of Dr. Manhattan, not really true for Angela (they really needed to spend more time showing what she saw in him) and ultimately, for me the viewer, just felt like a contrivance in this episode. I’m hopeful they can redeem it somehow in the finale but right now it is not landing as an organic relationship.

But in any case I’m going to go through after the finale and plan to do a victory lap of all the predictions I got right this season

This is why I don't like the arguments against him stopping the cannon because he "can't change his behavior based on what he is experiencing in the future" because the episode starts with him going into a bar to meet Angela because he knew they would date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

socialsecurity posted:

This is why I don't like the arguments against him stopping the cannon because he "can't change his behavior based on what he is experiencing in the future" because the episode starts with him going into a bar to meet Angela because he knew they would date.
Because he "was always going to do that", and this is a meaningful distinction because _____________