Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Kay Kessler posted:

Never forget that a goon had a genuine mental breakdown over Goku's pants.

My finest hour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

I'm happy with how moderation is handling this so far, sign of the times and all.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sid Vicious posted:

My finest hour

Thank you for your service

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Do you have any mode other than 24/7 abusive and insulting to everyone?

The right answer here is that transphobia is wrong and should be stamped out. So no, I'm not going to pretend that there's some sort of middle ground.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
There are simple questions that show how difficult this is, such as the question of whether Republicans should be allowed to post at all, considering that the party itself has bigoted beliefs baked into its mandate. Yet that would probably be viewed as extreme for a comedy forum. :shrug:

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

This is the first time I've been both on and aware of any serious drama saga going on, but I am also trying to finish up a project. This is really difficult for me, guys. Knit a row, see what new explosions are happening in QCS, knit another row, repeat.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Nuns with Guns posted:

I mean you're welcome to side with the forum that happily doxxed a half dozen trans posters + some GBS mods, and bragged about scraping the trans thread and ladies chatting thread for shits and giggles because someone leaked an image of a heated exchange between FAU and lowtax to twitter, but it looks to me like they're trying to capitalize on the chaos

Yeah I think the biggest issue is with how segmented SA is for a single website. It's pretty easy for mods and regular posters to lose a sense of perspective and apparently even FYAD falls victim to it.

Is this satire?

Edit: please don't talk to me again.

Anarchist Mae has a new favorite as of 18:58 on Dec 10, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Pick posted:

There are simple questions that show how difficult this is, such as the question of whether Republicans should be allowed to post at all, considering that the party itself has bigoted beliefs baked into its mandate. Yet that would probably be viewed as extreme for a comedy forum. :shrug:

They can post if they manage to not be bigots. Hell bigots can even post if they can keep it to themselves.

Weirdly republicans usually are bigots and bigots love telling everyone how bigoted they are.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Pick posted:

Pick this is super, duper easy. All conservative posters have to do is not treat sexual minorities like second or third class citizens or push debunked psuedo-science about how both groups are deviants.

Stop pretending this is more complicated than it is.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Pick posted:

Who cares what political party they belong to? If it's bad it's bad and we have no obligation to pretend it's not bad just because a major political party has embraced it

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Reading comprehension is poor on earth planet.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Pick posted:

Ah, but you are from earth! Owned!

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
also imo there's really no reason to expect forums moderation to work on a strict basis of legal philosophy, rather than as a loose collection of precedent and spite

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

luxury handset posted:

also imo there's really no reason to expect forums moderation to work on a strict basis of legal philosophy, rather than as a loose collection of precedent and spite

You're telling me we lose admins to the Supreme Court??

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

luxury handset posted:

I've always liked that the SA forums rules have what's basically a "because gently caress you, that's why" clause.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

FAU posted:

Another fun thing about spending too much time online: managing to have earth's most pointless, embarrassing, and self-inflicted mental health episode on a dying internet forum.

At the risk of revealing myself to have embarrassingly far too much time on my hands, I actually did real all of the posts in the QCS threads since yesterday, and conclude exactly what I concluded three years ago: a forum that harbors and encourages posters to mine the larger community to mock them is bad for the community as a whole.

I greatly appreciate the work you did as an admin and it's actually very impressive how long you were able to put up with the bullshit. I hope you're not too hard on yourself.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

One More Fat Nerd posted:

I thought troon literally came from, and was popularized by, the old E/N trans support threads. Like it wasnt intended as a slur, just a portmanteau of trans and goon. Could be wrong.

Another fun wrinkle, at least one, possibly multiple, of the goons talking about agp in that fyad thread are, themselves, trans.

Could have been. It was around before I was. I know FYAD was using it derogatorily for awhile, and kiwifarms et al. have as well. I still do a double take seeing it used as some legit slur online like uh yes i am a trans goon actually nice burn??

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Pick posted:

Yeah, that’ll teach those assholes who dared to try to engage with your argument. Big mistake, I guess.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I've always liked that the SA forums rules have what's basically a "because gently caress you, that's why" clause.

That clause is so excellent, and so important. Obviously it requires a half-decent moderating staff with two brain cells to rub together, but it’s so handy, especially now that online bigots have started leaning hard into rules lawyering and loopholes. There’s a lot of people in QCS saying that it’s not fair to ban FYAD people for bigotry because it wasn’t against the rules until now, and I can think of no better evidence that FYAD has fallen from grace than the presence of people who claim to be sticklers for the rules of an internet forum.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

this image is in my daily rotation to this day

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

FAU posted:

Another fun thing about spending too much time online: managing to have earth's most pointless, embarrassing, and self-inflicted mental health episode on a dying internet forum.

Hey FAU I just want you to know I appreciate and respect your efforts to improve, make amends and move on.

FAU
Dec 9, 2019

stupid newbie

Arivia posted:

Hey FAU I just want you to know I appreciate and respect your efforts to improve, make amends and move on.
I mean, what's the other opti-- *looks at QCS* oh.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Nuns with Guns posted:

I mean you're welcome to side with the forum that happily doxxed a half dozen trans posters + some GBS mods, and bragged about scraping the trans thread and ladies chatting thread for shits and giggles because someone leaked an image of a heated exchange between FAU and lowtax to twitter, but it looks to me like they're trying to capitalize on the chaos

Yeah I think the biggest issue is with how segmented SA is for a single website. It's pretty easy for mods and regular posters to lose a sense of perspective and apparently even FYAD falls victim to it.

As a simp, I could never fathom that someone on kiwifarms might lie

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

You really think someone would go on the Internet and do that?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I certainly don't doubt that kiwi farms is following us in our current time of struggle. Hello kiwi farms!

I wonder if this it what the Three Glorious Days felt like, and who will emerge to be the goon Louis-Philippe.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I, for one, am excited to watch the fallout from Tiny Brontosaurus using her immense wealth to bribe the mods and admins into this latest action.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

You know, life on the forums is a lot easier if you just ignore QCS. Hell, I'd say it's downright better.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Anarchist Mae posted:

Is this satire?

Edit: please don't talk to me again.

Yes I'm Jonathan Swift, nice to meet you

CPColin posted:

I, for one, am excited to watch the fallout from Tiny Brontosaurus using her immense wealth to bribe the mods and admins into this latest action.

Hey, FAU said to keep this confined to the secret discord!

FAU
Dec 9, 2019

stupid newbie

Nuns with Guns posted:

Hey, FAU said to keep this confined to the secret discord!
Don't do this

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I certainly don't doubt that kiwi farms is following us in our current time of struggle. Hello kiwi farms!

I wonder if this it what the Three Glorious Days felt like, and who will emerge to be the goon Louis-Philippe.

This is going to end with FAU getting put on the Internet Throne at gunpoint.

FAU
Dec 9, 2019

stupid newbie

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

This is going to end with FAU getting put on the Internet Throne at gunpoint.
People have weird ideas about me. The possibility that I'm just a person who's trying and often comes up short doesn't seem to be one of them. I'm a bisexual man with mental illness, diabetes, and no money or social skills who did some good poo poo and some bad poo poo as an admin on a small forum. I have very little self-awareness and I'm terrible at seeing my patterns, but I'm pretty sure I'm neither the nicest guy you'll ever meet nor twisted loving psychopath.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFrYQDlvp1o

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

FAU posted:

People have weird ideas about me. The possibility that I'm just a person who's trying and often comes up short doesn't seem to be one of them. I'm a bisexual man with mental illness, diabetes, and no money or social skills who did some good poo poo and some bad poo poo as an admin on a small forum. I have very little self-awareness and I'm terrible at seeing my patterns, but I'm pretty sure I'm neither the nicest guy you'll ever meet nor twisted loving psychopath.

Sorry FAU, but I’m never not going to picture you as the pleasant white-shirted man in your old avatar.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

FAU posted:

Don't do this

Ah, I'm sorry, I forgot that was a real conspiracy theory for a while.

I do hope you're doing better after all the crazy poo poo you had to mop up on the forums though

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Historically, whenever there's been a 5-10+ user purge/change like this to root out bad/toxic behavior, hasn't it always improved the forums in general as a whole? The rejected storm off to other sites and rally around each other to complain about it but generally leave SA alone after that.

Sure ADTRW has to be purged every few years but once those people are out it takes a while for that behavior to start creeping back up before its shut down again only now people are much more aware of where to draw the line.

Getting rid of homegrown, banning the filesharing, purging helldump, making gamergate bannable, are all positive things that if they were still around would certainly be toxic cesspools.

I'd love for a D&D, CSPAM culling of all the pro-fascist tankies but I guess that's a lot more complicated because they don't outright deny genocide and the Holocaust they just dance around the issue in a pseudo-intellectual way using 200 words when 20 would suffice.

FAU
Dec 9, 2019

stupid newbie

Ariong posted:

Sorry FAU, but I’m never not going to picture you as the pleasant white-shirted man in your old avatar.
That's because that's what I look like, give or take goon-style hair loss, weight gain, and beard. I picked the av because I wear a ton of button-up shirts like that - I can't afford to buy clothes I can't wear to work.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Solice Kirsk posted:

You know, life on the forums is a lot easier if you just ignore QCS. Hell, I'd say it's downright better.

Counterpoint: QCS is the funniest place on the forums

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

CPColin posted:

Please tell me this is an actual conspiracy theory people on this forum believe. I know there was one about her secretly being Twisty a while back (or maybe that was actually true??) and this would really fit right in.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

FAU posted:

I was jokingly implying you'd end up an admin again despite not wanting the job. Guess it didn't come across right.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Leave FAU alone, there's actual factual shitheads to address.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

hey sid how;s tricks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

When/where was the recent ADTRW pedo purge?