Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

As you finish off your pokedex recommendations get less helpful. It has to be a pokemon you've seen AND the conditions have to be right for it to appear. So if you are just missing a bunch of rare weather pokemon they won't show up unless their weather has also spawned. Granted it could just be not showing anything to be dumb, but that was my experience as I got up to like 350 pokemon caught.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Eimi posted:

As you finish off your pokedex recommendations get less helpful. It has to be a pokemon you've seen AND the conditions have to be right for it to appear. So if you are just missing a bunch of rare weather pokemon they won't show up unless their weather has also spawned. Granted it could just be not showing anything to be dumb, but that was my experience as I got up to like 350 pokemon caught.

On the other hand this means it tells you when a certain Pokemon is currently available due to the weather.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Anyone got an HA Applin or Klink for trade?

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
On refreshing raids, something I've noticed is that occasionally after completing other people's raids online, it'll force my own raids to start despawning, or refresh entirely if it despawns the last one.

I'd have to test it further to see if there are any further conditions; my friend suspects that it despawns lower-star and common spawns first, but I don't know where wishing piece and event g-max spawns rank on that. Still, it's been helpful in clearing out garbage quick if my friends and I are throwing raids at each other.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

MiracleFlare posted:

On refreshing raids, something I've noticed is that occasionally after completing other people's raids online, it'll force my own raids to start despawning, or refresh entirely if it despawns the last one.

I'd have to test it further to see if there are any further conditions; my friend suspects that it despawns lower-star and common spawns first, but I don't know where wishing piece and event g-max spawns rank on that. Still, it's been helpful in clearing out garbage quick if my friends and I are throwing raids at each other.

Doing someone else's raid despawns one of your common raids, yeah.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I love how the main hook this generation, dynamaxing, is getting suspect banned to Ubers right away.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Eh I don't think it'll be a big deal, it's a hook for non comp players like me but I can absolutely understand why people interested in most kinds of PvP wouldn't want anything to do with it

Probably it will end up having a place in the meta but one we don't know yet.

Does GF usually do a bug and streamlining pass after release, or is what we've got at release what we're gonna get? I'd really love for raid matching to get a pass, it's such a great thing to spend an evening doing while listening to podcasts or audiobooks but it is really frustrating at times

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Epic High Five posted:

Does GF usually do a bug and streamlining pass after release, or is what we've got at release what we're gonna get? I'd really love for raid matching to get a pass, it's such a great thing to spend an evening doing while listening to podcasts or audiobooks but it is really frustrating at times
They've patched a single thing once, I think. Or else they just had people mail in their carts to fix that hardlock if you saved in the wrong place, too.

They banned Sky Drop in VGC rather than fix the bug, and so on.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
So I have yet to connect to a single person with any of the online features. As far as I can tell, my Switch is just looking for any local players with whom to connect, as I don’t have a Nintendo Online subscription. Is any and all online communication locked behind a paywall, or can I still train and raid with friends?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

So I have yet to connect to a single person with any of the online features. As far as I can tell, my Switch is just looking for any local players with whom to connect, as I don’t have a Nintendo Online subscription. Is any and all online communication locked behind a paywall, or can I still train and raid with friends?

Yeah you need Switch Online for online communication.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Epic High Five posted:

Don't count on them patching anything but the most serious, gamebreaking bugs. They've been consistent about that since gen 3.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Framboise posted:

Yeah I realized there are some that are still catchable that I've already sought out. Drampa is a loving insult to completing this. 2% appearance in one place during one type of weather. What is this, Sinnoh?

It'll still give you recommendations in the wild area based on weather, it also won't give you sub 5% appearance rates elsewhere in the world.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Counterpoint to Dynamaxing being not a big competetive strategy: giving a weak pokemon a ton more health so they can get off a Shell Smash or Quiver Dance safely can be a really big deal and lead to wild sweeps

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Counterpoint to Dynamaxing being not a big competetive strategy: giving a weak pokemon a ton more health so they can get off a Shell Smash or Quiver Dance safely can be a really big deal and lead to wild sweeps

Except you can’t shell smash or quiver dance while dynamaxed. :v:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Mizuti posted:

Don't count on them patching anything but the most serious, gamebreaking bugs. They've been consistent about that since gen 3.

welp

maybe they'll have it sorted out for Pokemon Gun, it seems sensible to put some effort into it since it's a new platform and everything going forward is going to be built off the base they've developed in this game buuuuuut

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

counterpoint to this: Shuckle as tier-5 raids in Pokemon Go is consistently hilarious

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Anyone with shield able to trade me a lotad? Doesn't have to be any good.

DJ Turbo Punch
Feb 3, 2006

WAKE UP

So I got all the league cards, finished my Pokedex and got to Master Ball rank in rated. Am I missing anything else? I think I'm kinda done till Home opens up and I can work on a few more small breeding projects.

wodenspoon
May 2, 2018

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

So I got all the league cards, finished my Pokedex and got to Master Ball rank in rated. Am I missing anything else? I think I'm kinda done till Home opens up and I can work on a few more small breeding projects.

Short of online, that's pretty much it, I think!

I'm in the same boat. I'll be done with the dex in the next couple of days, and then I'm waiting on Home to make it easier to move stuff around to try some Monotype runs.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

All the hidden abilities? All the Gigantamax? All TMs and TRs? All berries? All Battle Tower/Pokeball Guy items?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Epic High Five posted:

counterpoint to this: Shuckle as tier-5 raids in Pokemon Go is consistently hilarious

Should be Tier 6 :colbert:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Shuckle The Un-Soloable

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I admit that I think Dynamax getting banned right away is really stupid. The game isn't even a month old so like, there's been absolutely no time to even give it a chance.

I'm also colored by the few pvp videos I watched all the comp high rank players are saying "Nah it's not as bad as people are making it out to be." and have been showing counter play and how it can be a total waste easily.

E: And just to be clear I'm not a comp guy, I'm casual and I just like watching it so my opinion really doesn't go that far.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I think what's gonna happen is that it's going to be allowed in the lower tiers and then once it turns out it isn't some gamebreaking thing but rather just another strategy it'll get incorporated officially somehow

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

personal favorite 5* raid in sword is shuckle and nothing can ever change that

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I admit that I think Dynamax getting banned right away is really stupid. The game isn't even a month old so like, there's been absolutely no time to even give it a chance.

I'm also colored by the few pvp videos I watched all the comp high rank players are saying "Nah it's not as bad as people are making it out to be." and have been showing counter play and how it can be a total waste easily.

E: And just to be clear I'm not a comp guy, I'm casual and I just like watching it so my opinion really doesn't go that far.

Watching the COALTRAINBABY in Dynamax form getting one-shot by Excadrill leads me to believe that there are going to be some hard counters to some of the Dynamax main contenders. Immediately banning it to ubers seems a little excessive and short sighted.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I did some wonder trading last night and got a Chinese Dreepy with Adamant Nature, absolute perfect IVs, and Pokerus.

... am I safe to use this competitively? Saves me time breeding my own, but I have a nagging feeling it could have been hacked.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Framboise posted:

I did some wonder trading last night and got a Chinese Dreepy with Adamant Nature, absolute perfect IVs, and Pokerus.

... am I safe to use this competitively? Saves me time breeding my own, but I have a nagging feeling it could have been hacked.

Pretty sure as long as it's ball, stats and moves are legit it won't get pinged as a hacked Pokemon.

But it is a new gen so they may have changed it...

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I mean that's what the suspect testing that's going on right now is for. Did I miss something about that being finished? Last I saw the voting hadn't even happened yet.

E: Yeah, the testing period doesn't even end until the 15th, at which point the people eligible to vote will vote on ban/no ban for Dynamax in OU.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

TeenageArchipelago posted:

personal favorite 5* raid in sword is shuckle and nothing can ever change that

really makes me wish there was a room move to switch everybody's attack and defense

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Kyrosiris posted:

I mean that's what the suspect testing that's going on right now is for. Did I miss something about that being finished? Last I saw the voting hadn't even happened yet.

Fully admit I misread and thought it was already banned, still think it's kinda dumb though and feels like 'new thing scary'

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Framboise posted:

The Pokedex is no longer giving me recommendations. I guess that means all I have left to do is breed some babies, evolve some dudes, and trade the rest. The real slog starts here.
While you probably have to breed a few, the lack of recommendations actually means "most of what you're looking for you either haven't ever seen, or is weather dependent and not available right now"

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Fully admit I misread and thought it was already banned, still think it's kinda dumb though and feels like 'new thing scary'

The analysis that's going on in the suspect testing thread is very insightful and even playing around myself (I'm nowhere near the required rating to vote, but) it's pretty obvious that it doesn't have a place in a competitive 6v6 singles environment.

Which is fine, not everything is 6v6 singles, and that's why you do tests and have different tiers. I personally disagree with the idea of total banishment to Ubers - I think making "Power Spot OU" where it plays off the in-game lore that you need a ~special place~ to dynamax/gigantimax is smarter - but man it's oppressive.

There's an argument to be made of "well don't let these mons dynamax" but I heavily agree with our own OFS's reasoning in the suspect testing thread:

quote:

How many times do we lop off the top of the metagame? Is Dynamax so worth preserving even though it'd just make the rest of SWSH OU a treadmill of suspects? Would TDK eventually just write "learns Bounce" as the OP? Dracovish's ability to OHKO about anything with Fishious Rend is really gross, but we'd only get around to examining it in 2025 when Diggersby finally gets its loving due, because the Airstream/Knuckle/Knuckle fun time is very common and fundamental to the exploitation of Dynamax.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

What is the Catcher Gallade moveset for SwSh? Life Dew, Hypnosis, False Swipe and ?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Mef989 posted:

What is the Catcher Gallade moveset for SwSh? Life Dew, Hypnosis, False Swipe and ?
I stick psycho cut on mine for the occasional instance of "level 60 tanky mon that'd take ages to false swipe down"

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Mef989 posted:

I siwtched Hypnosis with Swords Dance to buff up the Swipe, it's a better opening gambit than failing to put them to sleep as usually happens

edit - for the ? I gave it Thunder Wave

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Blaziken386 posted:

While you probably have to breed a few, the lack of recommendations actually means "most of what you're looking for you either haven't ever seen, or is weather dependent and not available right now"

Short of Drampa I think I have all the catchables. All I really have left to do is breed a few fully evolved pokemon I caught and evolve the hatched ones to their second forms, get my hands on a Grookey (got two Sobbles last night in wonder trade, as well as a Farfetch'd), evolve some ~*~friendship~*~ based pokemon, and get some Sword exclusives and I'm done.

I just went through, here's what I have left to get:

Grookey, Thwackey, Rillaboom
Drizzile, Inteleon (have Sobble)
Seedot, Nuzleaf, Shiftry
Umbreon, Sylveon
Flapple
Swirlix, Slurpuff
Sirfetch'd (have Farfetch'd)
Scraggy, Scrafty
Sawk
Whimsicott (have Cottonee)
Rhyperior (have Rhydon)
Gothita, Gothorita, Gothitelle
Solosis, Duosion, Reuniclus
Karrablast, Escavalier
Accelgor (have Shelmet)
Rufflet, Braviary
Lampent, Chandelure (have Litwick)
Mawile
Riolu, Lucario
Vibrava, Flygon (have Trapinch)
Aegislash (have Doublade)
Trevenant (have Phantump)
Passimian
Drampa
Turtonator
Frosmoth (have Snom)
Solrock
Darumaka, Darmanitan
Stonjourner
Rotom
Charmeleon, Charizard (have Charmander)
Silvally (have Type: Null)
Larvitar, Pupitar (have Tyranitar)
Zweilous, Hydreigon (have Deino)
Goomy, Goodra (have Sliggoo)
Jangmo-o, Hakamo-o, Kommo-o
Dragapult (have Dreepy, Drakloak)
Zacian

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I think I got 80% of the other exclusives and rares just by nonstop wonder trading the whole time I was playing lol

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Framboise posted:

get my hands on a Grookey (got two Sobbles last night in wonder trade, as well as a Farfetch'd), evolve some ~*~friendship~*~ based pokemon, and get some Sword exclusives and I'm done.
Hop in the discord, the trade channel is just five or so of us idiots spamming fashion balls at each other and gunning for shinies, we can always pass along our living dexes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I am enjoying sword and my son loves it. But i am sad that we have literally never had another trainer join our raids :saddowns: