Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

DeimosRising posted:

Peloton seems like the kind of thing only a moron would buy but my wife specifically wanted an elliptical for Christmas this year so I also thought the outrage at the commercial was weird

Most of the outrage is just because the bike is like $2,200 and requires a $50/month subscription to be of any use and they constantly act like it’s for regular people. They get poo poo on for everything for that reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

sportsgenius86 posted:

Most of the outrage is just because the bike is like $2,200 and requires a $50/month subscription to be of any use and they constantly act like it’s for regular people. They get poo poo on for everything for that reason.

Afaik You can free ride without the sub

The Sub is for the videos and training poo poo. As well as metric tracking

But yeah if you aren't buying into the Eco system there are cheaper alternatives

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
$2,200 or thereabouts these days will generally get you a decently-equipped carbon road bike: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/road-bikes/performance-road-bikes/domane/domane-sl/domane-sl-5-disc/p/23391/?colorCode=black_red

Understandably though, many folks don't want to ride on the road, so one could divert some of the bike money into a direct drive smart trainer and just put a much cheaper alloy road bike on it (that one could still ride outdoors if they ever decided to want to).

Like most things tech I'm waiting for Peloton to move forward with planned obsolescence so that the $2k+ you blow today will be completely incompatible with the service in a few years unless you buy the new one.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

paperwind posted:

Like most things tech I'm waiting for Peloton to move forward with planned obsolescence so that the $2k+ you blow today will be completely incompatible with the service in a few years unless you buy the new one.

I can't tell if this is a joke but i swear they already depreciated the first model.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Nap Ghost
Also buying your partner exercise equipment as requested is very different than doing so unprompted.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i absolutely cannot see the appeal of trying to exercise while watching some peppy fitness mutant yell fake encouragement

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

R.D. Mangles posted:

i absolutely cannot see the appeal of trying to exercise while watching some peppy fitness mutant yell fake encouragement

I can’t speak for doing it over an iPad but actual spin classes are very hard and a good workout

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Why do I want a real bike when I need a big seat for my big butt?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
https://twitter.com/laurawags/status/1204453308192169984

Good for her I guess but working for Vice these days sounds like the antithesis of a stable media job.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

hcreight posted:

https://twitter.com/laurawags/status/1204453308192169984

Good for her I guess but working for Vice these days sounds like the antithesis of a stable media job.

I mean name a stable media job outside the NYT

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

morestuff posted:

Slate Podcaster.

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

habeasdorkus posted:

Slate Podcaster.

Like half of them don't even work at Slate anymore lol

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

morestuff posted:

Vox explainer writer

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â

morestuff posted:

SBNation Fan Contributor!
Wait a sec...

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the most stable job in the world is to be one of the 12 never-trump republicans and get your pick between prestigious op-ed jobs.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

morestuff posted:

Edgy leftist podcast with a patreon

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Deadspin's most recent story is still the Kellen Winslow plea deal from November 4th, lol

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â

R.D. Mangles posted:

the most stable job in the world is to be one of the 12 never-trump republicans and get your pick between prestigious op-ed jobs.

That, or a "pragmatic", Red-State Democrat who wants to "pump the brakes on all this Medicare stuff" and doesn't see anything wrong with billionaire funding.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kevin Kaduk, longtime editor at yahoo sports and creator of Big League Stew, has been laid off

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

Drew Magary did a profile of Stephen A Smith for GQ

https://www.gq.com/story/stephen-a-smith-espn-profile
https://twitter.com/drewmagary/status/1204763422249902080

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lmao fantastic line right out of the gate

quote:

One guy in line didn’t like Stephen A.’s hardline stance against smoking weed. “You're in the Bay Area. I'm sorry, bro. You should be smoking weed, bro.” But of course, such objections didn’t stop this guy from coming. He’s still a fan of First Take. Also, he’s definitely high.

E: yeah that's a fabulous read, drat.

quote:

I wake up every day understanding that I don't represent just myself. I represent my mom. I represent my family. I represent ESPN. I walk out the door every day understanding that reality and operating accordingly.”

Is that good, though? To be in thrall to ESPN like that?

“Doesn't bother me.”

But can’t that make you feel like a replaceable cog in a machine at all times?

And this is where Stephen A. lands one square on my jaw.

“I'm sorry if it makes you uncomfortable, but I'm a black man. I always feel replaceable. One of the many definitions of stupidity is a black man who feels he is not expendable. There's not a black man alive that I know that feels he's untouchable, and that life doesn't go on without him. I've never met that man, ever. It's just the world we live in. No matter what I've done, no matter how much I've produced, there has always, always, always been folks are waiting for me to make a mistake, so they can justify not marrying me. And I'm fine with that.”

He goes on: “You grow up, and then you watch professional sports, and you see some of the greatest athletes that we've ever seen in our lifetime treated as expendable commodities. And if they're exploited, or if they're treated as if they're expendable, who the hell am I or anybody else that think that that's not applicable to us?

DJExile fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 11, 2019

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
If they could take down OJ, they could take down me, Stephen A Smith.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Drew continues to be great and Stephen continues to be garbage.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

apparently verizon is doing more layoffs

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1204518690005409792

like they're just bad at this

e:

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Drew continues to be great and Stephen continues to be garbage.

drew also just did the least influential people of the decade

he gets it

https://gen.medium.com/the-least-influential-people-of-the-2010s-8121ce8ca5c1

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 11, 2019

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

quote:

There he was, complaining loudly about his accommodations and the “abundance of stairs,” in his words, that he had been forced to navigate along the way to his quarters.

The most "Stephen A. Smith complaining at a hotel front desk" thing ever.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Vertical Lime posted:

drew also just did the least influential people of the decade

he gets it

https://gen.medium.com/the-least-influential-people-of-the-2010s-8121ce8ca5c1

Fantastic read

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Drew is a national treasure. I wish he and Roth would resurrect the Deadcast though.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Really good SI piece on Rashaan Salaam.

https://www.si.com/college/2019/12/10/rashaan-salaam-death-heisman

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Aggro posted:

Drew is a national treasure. I wish he and Roth would resurrect the Deadcast though.

I would gladly pay to hear it again.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Dr_Strangelove posted:

I would gladly pay to hear it again.

Bring it back with all the past hosts- Magary, Roth, Marchman, and Daulerio. Call it “Bum Town”

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Craggs, too.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Where's he been since his starring role in the Hogan verdict? I'm half expecting "living under the R5."

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jonah Keri arrested for assaulting his wife and a minor

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Where's he been since his starring role in the Hogan verdict? I'm half expecting "living under the R5."

rehab for a while dunno after that

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Craggs is a piece of poo poo.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

It seems a little rude to arrest him for crimes that occurred before he was arrested the first time, couldn't they just add the new charges to the original indictment?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

howe_sam posted:

It seems a little rude to arrest him for crimes that occurred before he was arrested the first time, couldn't they just add the new charges to the original indictment?

I'm not a canadian criminal lawyer but I'd imagine he has to be booked separately

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

General Dog posted:

Bring it back with all the past hosts- Magary, Roth, Marchman, and Daulerio. Call it “Bum Town”

An excellent addition to the Bastard Radio empire.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
That Salaam piece is a tough read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

That Salaam piece is a tough read.

jesus christ, yeah it is :smith: