Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Xun posted:

When/where was the recent ADTRW pedo purge?

It was a berserk/berserk adjacent thread. Apparently there was a lot of pedo poo poo posted in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It was a berserk/berserk adjacent thread. Apparently there was a lot of pedo poo poo posted in there.

Man, who in 1980 could've imagined that an arcade game might lead to this? What a world.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I think people missed Pick's point/context here

Pick posted:

It is extremely difficult to gauge where those parameters are. The forums definitely haven't come to an answer about banal, everyday sexism and that's been a concern since I began posting in 09.
It wasn't about "is it maybe cool to stalk trans people" (duh, no). It was that it will actually be tough/divisive to lay out where all the lines are now. Like, "oval office" still gets used alllll the time.* Is it gonna be bannable to call someone a t or a troon while calling them a oval office is still okay? Or does that also become bannable, in which case a whole lot of people are going to lose their poo poo? Or does the word itself get banned but saying "women all ___" biased stuff is okay, in which case everyone's mad?

*Burt probates for it in GBS, but afaik other subforums don't

The whole thing is a QCS conversation rather than here, I'm just saying it seems to have been misread

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Thank you that was my point.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Someone melting down over Goku pants and Sid Vicious got mentioned.

What was all that about?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I mean, there's nothing wrong with dealing with that stuff on a case by case basis and it's usually not hard to tell the difference between a trans goon calling themselves a troon and some nazi shitbird whining how about the troons destroyed FYAD and powercucked lowtax.

Even with words that are totally inoffensive, you can still tell when it's being used a certain way.

"I am a jew"
"SA is infested with jews"

Which post should be banned? Where is the line?

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I mean, there's nothing wrong with dealing with that stuff on a case by case basis and it's usually not hard to tell the difference between a trans goon calling themselves a troon and some nazi shitbird whining how about the troons destroyed FYAD and powercucked lowtax.

Even with words that are totally inoffensive, you can still tell when it's being used a certain way.

"I am a jew"
"SA is infested with jews"

Which post should be banned? Where is the line?

It's this, Pick is just being obtuse.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
These issues keep popping up because it is actually difficult to be a politician/judge which is essentially the role of the admin and mod staff.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Anne Whateley posted:

I think people missed Pick's point/context here

It wasn't about "is it maybe cool to stalk trans people" (duh, no). It was that it will actually be tough/divisive to lay out where all the lines are now. Like, "oval office" still gets used alllll the time.* Is it gonna be bannable to call someone a t or a troon while calling them a oval office is still okay? Or does that also become bannable, in which case a whole lot of people are going to lose their poo poo? Or does the word itself get banned but saying "women all ___" biased stuff is okay, in which case everyone's mad?

*Burt probates for it in GBS, but afaik other subforums don't

The whole thing is a QCS conversation rather than here, I'm just saying it seems to have been misread

The fyad thread absolutely crossed deep into disgusting levels of bigotry but that is a good point on a wider level about more casual language that still comes up regularly on the forums. It's really not the time for it though, and honestly it's an issue that'll probably be litigated on a case-by-case basis until these forums die because nobody wants or deserves to deal with the shitstorm that'd happen.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Goddamn what a loving everlasting centrist, the wonderful* pick.

*distracting

Pick, right now you're doing an "but ALL lives matter." As in, yes, you're not technically wrong, but now is not the loving time, and to continue derailing the conversation is actually making things worse.

Queen Combat has a new favorite as of 20:26 on Dec 10, 2019

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's easy to know what you want. Different people however have wants in their brain and in this community some of them are mutually exclusive. The mods are deciding what's in and what's out.

Thanks for the evidence though that even perceived centrism is a bridge too far...!!

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Pick what's up with the weird disingenuous posting??

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Pick posted:

These issues keep popping up because it is actually difficult to be a politician/judge which is essentially the role of the admin and mod staff.

That really doesn’t apply here though. NOBODY was defending the behavior present in FYAD except for those participating in it. It was only ever a question of how to respond.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's a super interesting microcosm to illustrate modern politics and why being a politician would be unbearable.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Nobody gives a poo poo about that right now except for you. Read the room.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

hey sid how;s tricks

Hey SIB things are going well i still really like my new job and the kids are doing great, Oli never shuts up and Aubrey is learning to walk and says cheese when you take her picture

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

Own a piece of forums history:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/362845817014

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The room is full of people who don't understand why drafting an announcement would require a discussion among leadership.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

A Sometimes Food posted:

Someone melting down over Goku pants and Sid Vicious got mentioned.

What was all that about?

A Spoonful of Bromide was an insane person who was into the shredded moose web comic and asked if anyone was willing to do some art for their own webcomic and i had a picture of Gokus pants i had drawn but it took up the whole page so i couldn't finish goku and i posted it as an example of my artwork and they were really huffy with me so i PMed them with the title "some more of my art if you're still interested" and the body of the PM was goatse and then they hardcore melted down and said i essentially raped them by sending that to them

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

They are yet to reach a consensus, according to Lightning Knight, so I pretty much assume the mod forum is about as calm and relaxed as the rest of the forums are right now.

My secret biggest fear for the future of this website is birbmod burning out tbh.

Edit:

Sid Vicious posted:

A Spoonful of Bromide was an insane person who was into the shredded moose web comic and asked if anyone was willing to do some art for their own webcomic and i had a picture of Gokus pants i had drawn but it took up the whole page so i couldn't finish goku and i posted it as an example of my artwork and they were really huffy with me so i PMed them with the title "some more of my art if you're still interested" and the body of the PM was goatse and then they hardcore melted down and said i essentially raped them by sending that to them

This is my second favourite thing that ever happened on the forums, after Small Pastries

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Pick posted:

The room is full of people who don't understand why drafting an announcement would require a discussion among leadership.

That's not what people don't understand. What we don't understand is why it is taken so long to deal with a very cut and dry problem and why only the bare minimum has been done to stop these people s abhorrent behaviour.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sid Vicious posted:

Here are the goldmined Spoonful threads

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3615435&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=10#post426791021

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3615777

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Thank you!! :goku:

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Ahahaha that owns.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sid Vicious posted:

Thank you!! :goku:

I like

and

and this is like 2 of 100 riffs on goku pants just to mock Spoonful. The 2nd was the torso of their OC comic hero, a quirky crazy angry sexy anime girl.

pentyne has a new favorite as of 20:51 on Dec 10, 2019

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Those threads were magical.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Goddamn I cackled like a maniac when Goku's Pants appeared

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

God bless Gokupants

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

God bless Gokupants

I'd love the follow-up to gokupants where they found a streamer playing Minecraft who had maybe 3-4 people watching, and then 40 goons showed up in chant demanding he build a massive gokupants and he did.

FAU
Dec 9, 2019

stupid newbie

Iron Crowned posted:

Goddamn I cackled like a maniac when Goku's Pants appeared
It was an incredible thread. I think my favorite part is his dumbshit comic got mocked constantly in one of the old webcomics threads (IIRC) pre-2010 sometime and he showed up years later for a whole other meltdown.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Here, I'll save everyone some time:

Anarchist Mae posted:

That's not what people don't understand. What we don't understand is why it is taken so long to deal with a very cut and dry problem and why only the bare minimum has been done to stop these people s abhorrent behaviour.

Pick posted:

Anarchist Mae posted:

Pick posted:

Anarchist Mae posted:

Pick posted:

Anarchist Mae posted:

Pick posted:

Anarchist Mae posted:

Pick posted:

There, that should skip us ahead about three pages.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
FYAD in flames, missiles headed towards QCS, film at right goddamned now.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
6 hours for days of hate filled trolling.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to talk about this, I'm beyond tired, beyond angry at this point.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Solice Kirsk posted:

Here, I'll save everyone some time:

There, that should skip us ahead about three pages.

Were talking about gokus pants now

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sid Vicious posted:

Were talking about gokus pants now

Sweet! My biggest complaint about Goku's pants is that they're just too large.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Goku's Pants for Admin.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Anarchist Mae posted:

6 hours for days of hate filled trolling.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to talk about this, I'm beyond tired, beyond angry at this point.

YOu haven't looked in the Leper's Colony lately have you?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Goku's Pants never thought ironic racism was funny.

holy poo poo lol

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
*looks at field of blood in lepers colony* that feeling u get when you've vanquished all ur enemies....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
6 hours is used as a stand in because more users have permissions to institute 6-hr probations than longer probations, bans, or permabans. That gives users with advanced permission time to see and institute higher-level punishments.