Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Thread, pull up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Tsar Mikey posted:

Where does this most open developer ever horseshit come from? They put out a lot of videos, but none of them ever substantiate anything at all. There's never anything that talks about a feature, and then follows up with the completed feature and how it works, how it came to be, difficulties, etc. They just shuffle poo poo around on the neon puke board "roadmap" like deck chairs on the Titanic.

So many other developers actually do communicate, and communicate effectively that I don't know how CIG keeps getting to claim this. It's loving insanity.

And other than a couple shady signals to investors, where does these most open developer ever about finances come from? The not at all faked tracker? :laffo:

There's two phenomena that have allowed CIG to get away with the self-branding of "Most open dev ever"

* Dev timelines are really long- apparently, long enough that they exceed most people's attention spans for stuff that they aren't paying super close attention to. Turn around at a good dev takes so long, years even, that most people will have forgotten the "Idea of thing" discussion long before "Video of thing working" comes along and makes them go "Oh yeah! I remember that." CIG short circuits this by only ever publishing "Idea of thing" videos. Since the "Oh yeah!" moment never happens, people only casually tuning in never get that pointed reminder that the company last talked about, say, medical gameplay five or whatever years ago. Backers who do remember are invested enough that they will use this as cover to misrepresent the project to themselves and others.

* Most people are really really bad at critical thinking. This is why like 90% of press releases and politics and public relations actually works. People just accept poo poo at face value if it is wrapped in enough official language or, better yet, by peers. Think about this forum- if enough goons said this company is the bee's knees and super honest, would you question it initially or would you check it out? If "Checking it out" involved watching literally years and years and hundreds of hours of super loving boring theorycraft videos, would you really bother or would you assume that what you were hearing right now was probably valid and in keeping with past statements? If you did that, how long would it take before you started to realize this company was actually totally full of poo poo? It might be years, depending on how tuned in you were to month-to-month announcements.

This is the fundamental churn that the company relies on, with excited megawhales roping in people who aren't paying attention at a rate equal to or exceeding the rate at which they get wise to the fact that the noises the company is making this year sound exactly like the noises last year and nothing's actually being done.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Hey uh, it's 3 weeks till new year, meaning 3 weeks to a new decade! A decade is a nice time to summarize stuff up, so tell me thread, what is your favourite Star Citizen moment of the decade? Can be a high point in anything, legit hype, actual progress or uh, you know, the most scummy move or the stupidest decision ever.

I have to go with a recent one, The Concierge Dinner. The loving balls to pull a power move like that, goddamn CIG, I hope a new decade will bring us something that can top the craziness of this, but it doesn't look like this.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I'm still pretty floored they didn't mention SQ42 at this years CitCon, a game set for beta next year and the Calder money being used supposedly to market it.

The balls to just not even passingly mention it and everyone pretends that's fine and totally normal.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Popete posted:

I'm still pretty floored they didn't mention SQ42 at this years CitCon, a game set for beta next year and the Calder money being used supposedly to market it.

The balls to just not even passingly mention it and everyone pretends that's fine and totally normal.

CIG's revolutionary transparent and open development practices at work. SQ42 is fine, they're just withholding it because they don't want to spoil any of it for the backers, stop spreading misinformation.

Squadron 42 will totally be out next year and it's gonna be a smashing success, convincing everyone that Star Citizen is truly amazing and funding will skyrocket to never-before-seen heights.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Kikas posted:

what is your favourite Star Citizen moment of the decade

That time when the full AMD letter was made public.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Chris Roberts absolves himself of Squadron 42.

There, done.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Kikas posted:

what is your favourite Star Citizen moment of the decade

For me it was the investor announcement.

* It completely invalidated all of the "We need your crowdfunding money so we don't have to bow to evil INVESTORS" bullshit and showed the core premise of crowdfunding to be a convenient lie. Whales were just worth more money right up until they weren't anymore.

* It revealed exactly what Chris thought of promises to backers. He had promised to release financials if they missed deadlines, but had bailed on that promise for multiple years until he signed the investor deal- suddenly it was the most open accounting ever! The contempt was marked.

* The financials confirmed what this thread had been saying for the last two years: that the company had basically squandered two hundred million dollars and produced gently caress-all. Not pre-produced, not halfway-finished. They had simply thrown the money away. They showed that Chris was running on fumes and would fold within the year if he didn't get a bailout.

And despite all that, not a single backer was turned off. They loved that poo poo. Star Citizen was saved!

I've really never seen a moment like that in any other game or community. People publicly celebrating as a company abandoned every single principle it claimed to represent while it took their money. What a wild ride.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

K8.0 posted:

Look at this fuckin' loser, trying to discourage fine Citizens from creating the Stimpire in real life.

The time for tolerating dissenting voices would’ve been 2015. The brand’s been broke since 2017. The subreddit’s receptivity or hostility to it doesn’t matter anymore. No reason to make the subreddit any more depressing than it already is. I say downvote the bastards!

Popete posted:

I bet Chris addresses it in the next several weeks. He might have stayed quiet through CitCon and the sale knowing he’d already talked about it in the upcoming BBC Click “expose” about their delay problems. If ever there was an appropriate time for a born coward like Chris to update the Squadron release narrative, it’d be then. Plus, he loves violating The Pledge and sharing updates with the press before the community anyway.

If not with Click then it sure seems like he’ll do it as the new year gets rolling.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
Or that one time, when uncle Derek doxxed and got banned for it. Then was let back in, but doxxed again. So he ate another ban, but Lowtax let him come back because, as we all know, Derek helped build this forum. What happened next came as a suprise to no one. He followed all the rules with zero issues lol no, he got his rear end banned again

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.

Kikas posted:

Hey uh, it's 3 weeks till new year, meaning 3 weeks to a new decade! A decade is a nice time to summarize stuff up, so tell me thread, what is your favourite Star Citizen moment of the decade? Can be a high point in anything, legit hype, actual progress or uh, you know, the most scummy move or the stupidest decision ever.

The advent of the new, quarterly roadmap. It was rolled out full of assurances that this was a schedule they could meet, unlike all those promises they had failed on in the past.

Instead, it shone a merciless spotlight on CI(G)'s utter incompetence, as a company, in actually executing what they say they will do.

It has been the gift that keeps on giving. Each quarter, major tasks are kicked down the road or made to vanish.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Kikas posted:

When Chris tried to play his own game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnUMgzFUvHE&t=32s

LOL

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Kikas posted:

what is your favourite Star Citizen moment of the decade?

I don't know how to distill it into a single moment, but it would have to be the change between:

"We will send legal threats and more against any negative information about this project, even if it's supported by fact, and tell us who leaked or we'll just say the leaker lied because no proof, and if you do tell us we'll harass them or imply our backers should harrass them or worse..." (poo poo, sorry, that actually started to sound like much more recent history of another topic; I guess criminal playbooks don't change)

and:

Completely dead silence against the background of roaring laughter from the entire gaming community whenever Star Citizen is so much as mentioned; no legal threats or other posturing against Forbes when they release an article pretty much framing the founders as the criminals they are.

I wish I knew the exact moment that all changed, and precisely why, but it's my favorite moment regardless. It meant something really big, but mostly invisible, changed at CIG - like who was calling the shots.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Its 100% this.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Kikas posted:

I have to go with a recent one, The Concierge Dinner. The loving balls to pull a power move like that, goddamn CIG, I hope a new decade will bring us something that can top the craziness of this, but it doesn't look like this.

Khartu-al--the mask slipped a bit and "this game will be whatever you want it to be" became "it's going to be X, even if it contradicts what we sold you earlier. PS: No refunds, and everyone who complains is a troll."

At that point, we went from snowflakes/goons (which is another winner) to haters/trolls.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

This is a top 10 for sure. So many cool moments to choose.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Kikas posted:

So many good ones to choose from.

I'll probably go with the ramp o' death of the GamesCom 2017 demo.

Honorable mentions:
- The sticky figure representing their switch to Lumberyard.
- The hilarious spaghetti horror that was their first Gantt chart --at which point you knew that this was their first attempt ever.
- Bootcha's documentary
- Asphyxiating cosplay guy
- Planet blinking out of existence as soon as they arrived at it in the CitCon 2017

Oh definitely this one too. :lol:

AbstractNapper fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 10, 2019

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Chris’ insane letter to Escapist where he demanded they apologize to Sandy and he accused them of being in cahoots with Derek Smart.

Related: the author of that article talking about how Sandy told HR not to hire a woman because Sandy thought the woman looked like she had a huge bush.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Or this moment of flawless physics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWeTw2DXfUE&t=364s

echothreealpha
Nov 22, 2019

One in the Bum posted:

That time when the full AMD letter was made public.

where can I find the letter?

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Kikas posted:

During the live demo a few years back, when they tried to deliver a loving box with that absurd 6 wheeled dump truck and when the truck tried to go up the ramp of the Idris, the loving truck exploded. That was a great moment, but the capper was my favorite; when the wheels of the truck came flying off and rolling towards the camera. It was the moment when the wheels literally and figuratively came flying off the project. They had to reboot the game and start from a saved instance where they made it safely on board the loving ramp of the ship with the loving box safe on deck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-_l7EkElHk&t=279s

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Kikas posted:

what is your favourite Star Citizen moment of the decade? Can be a high point in anything, legit hype, actual progress or uh, you know, the most scummy move or the stupidest decision ever.

The absolute disaster that was the 2016 Holiday Live Stream, an event so filled with bugs, gaffs and overall incompetence that they actually removed it from their YouTube page. I knew the project as in trouble but they didn't succeed in nailing home how laughably incompetent they were until that event.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Strangler 42 posted:

During the live demo a few years back, when they tried to deliver a loving box with that absurd 6 wheeled dump truck and when the truck tried to go up the ramp of the Idris, the loving truck exploded. That was a great moment, but the capper was my favorite; when the wheels of the truck came flying off and rolling towards the camera. It was the moment when the wheels literally and figuratively came flying off the project. They had to reboot the game and start from a saved instance where they made it safely on board the loving ramp of the ship with the loving box safe on deck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-_l7EkElHk&t=279s

The fact that this demo was a highlight and capstone showing reminds me how rear end-backwards everything is at CIG, and how they commit fraud by showing you something that makes the customer lie to themselves. This ramp poo poo is the perfect example.

Most space games had combat, good flight models, and tons and tons more, let's call that all the Standard Feature Set. But what old PC games pretty much didn't allow you to do was land on planets, get in ground vehicles, and drive them up the ramp physically into the interior of the ship. Elite came close, but not exactly. So CIG shows this complete and utter bullshit to their audience, and the motherfuckers clap and cheer. Why? Because if this was in the game, then it's assumed that the Standard Feature Set is also in the game.

Which is of course the central lie behind the entire project. Star Citizen is a movie trailer for a movie that was never made - the "trailer" was designed to mimic other trailers, but contains the only scenes ever shot. In Star Citizen media, you see hours and hours of highlights that imply the existence of the connective tissue between all those moments, but it's just not there. The highlights ARE Star Citizen. I'm not even convinced it's a scam - Chris Roberts presumes success is inevitable, so it's fine to show his backers what he envisions it will be when it's done, because of course it will get done because he's Chris Roberts. The irony is painful.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Remember the worm?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Scruffpuff posted:

The fact that this demo was a highlight and capstone showing reminds me how rear end-backwards everything is at CIG, and how they commit fraud by showing you something that makes the customer lie to themselves. This ramp poo poo is the perfect example.

Most space games had combat, good flight models, and tons and tons more, let's call that all the Standard Feature Set. But what old PC games pretty much didn't allow you to do was land on planets, get in ground vehicles, and drive them up the ramp physically into the interior of the ship. Elite came close, but not exactly. So CIG shows this complete and utter bullshit to their audience, and the motherfuckers clap and cheer. Why? Because if this was in the game, then it's assumed that the Standard Feature Set is also in the game.

Which is of course the central lie behind the entire project. Star Citizen is a movie trailer for a movie that was never made - the "trailer" was designed to mimic other trailers, but contains the only scenes ever shot. In Star Citizen media, you see hours and hours of highlights that imply the existence of the connective tissue between all those moments, but it's just not there. The highlights ARE Star Citizen.

So it's just like The Horribly Slow Murderer with the Extremely Inefficient Weapon.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Come on we all know what the best moment was

Koil posted:

Citcon in 3 images:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

UnknownTarget posted:

The absolute disaster that was the 2016 Holiday Live Stream, an event so filled with bugs, gaffs and overall incompetence that they actually removed it from their YouTube page. I knew the project as in trouble but they didn't succeed in nailing home how laughably incompetent they were until that event.

The years go by...

Was that where Lesnick had to speak twice and you could hear everyone talk about audio issues?

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

One of my favorites was Ben stroking out on Batgirl's show: ya whoa did eh do wup.

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

Also: Ben Lesnick, Developer

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Sarsapariller posted:

For me it was the investor announcement.

* It completely invalidated all of the "We need your crowdfunding money so we don't have to bow to evil INVESTORS" bullshit and showed the core premise of crowdfunding to be a convenient lie. Whales were just worth more money right up until they weren't anymore.

* It revealed exactly what Chris thought of promises to backers. He had promised to release financials if they missed deadlines, but had bailed on that promise for multiple years until he signed the investor deal- suddenly it was the most open accounting ever! The contempt was marked.

* The financials confirmed what this thread had been saying for the last two years: that the company had basically squandered two hundred million dollars and produced gently caress-all. Not pre-produced, not halfway-finished. They had simply thrown the money away. They showed that Chris was running on fumes and would fold within the year if he didn't get a bailout.

And despite all that, not a single backer was turned off. They loved that poo poo. Star Citizen was saved!

I've really never seen a moment like that in any other game or community. People publicly celebrating as a company abandoned every single principle it claimed to represent while it took their money. What a wild ride.

Seeing the brown sea just spin and accept all of it without hardly missing a beat was pretty hilarious and almost scary.

There it was, right in their faces. Chris had squandered 200 million dollars and was barely keeping the company above water, so he was forced to take an angel investment and seed a large portion of control to some billionaire and his son. And, the only thing they could say was “of course investors are beating down CIG’s space door for a piece of the action! They know SC will be the biggest hit ever!”

It was the moment that I knew the remaining backers are truly lost and will support this mess up to the minute CIG closes its doors.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

colonelwest posted:

Seeing the brown sea just spin and accept all of it without hardly missing a beat was pretty hilarious and almost scary.

There it was, right in their faces. Chris had squandered 200 million dollars and was barely keeping the company above water, so he was forced to take an angel investment and seed a large portion of control to some billionaire and his son. And, the only thing they could say was “of course investors are beating down CIG’s space door for a piece of the action! They know SC will be the biggest hit ever!”

It was the moment that I knew the remaining backers are truly lost and will support this mess up to the minute CIG closes its doors.

Also, the way they found out about it was from us, months after the transaction. The most open development in history managed to barely avoid going bankrupt by selling off a large chunk of the crowdfunded studios to outside investors, and then immediately spent 4.7 million of that windfall on a new mansion. And none of the backers knew about it until after somebody else went through filings and forced CIG's hand.

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

Agreed

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Chris Roberts not being able to figure out the most bog standard chat window that has existed for well over a decade says all you need to know, really. It's incredible.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
How do we know CR bought a mansion again? Are there pictures showing how grand it is?

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Strangler 42 posted:

Also, the way they found out about it was from us, months after the transaction. The most open development in history managed to barely avoid going bankrupt by selling off a large chunk of the crowdfunded studios to outside investors, and then immediately spent 4.7 million of that windfall on a new mansion. And none of the backers knew about it until after somebody else went through filings and forced CIG's hand.

You’re right, so much sleaze comes out of CIG everyday, that I forgot that someone on here found out first by looking through their public filings.

Only after that did Chris send out a Letter From the Parpman and did some puff piece interviews.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

G0RF posted:

I say downvote the bastards!

You monster! What's next in your rampage of depravity? bri...br...briganding!?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Thom12255 posted:

How do we know CR bought a mansion again? Are there pictures showing how grand it is?

That would be this year's Forbes article.
"Exclusive: The Saga Of 'Star Citizen,' A Video Game That Raised $300 Million—But May Never Be Ready To Play"
https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattpe...e-ready-to-play

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sarsapariller posted:

There's two phenomena that have allowed CIG to get away with the self-branding of "Most open dev ever"

* Dev timelines are really long- apparently, long enough that they exceed most people's attention spans for stuff that they aren't paying super close attention to. Turn around at a good dev takes so long, years even, that most people will have forgotten the "Idea of thing" discussion long before "Video of thing working" comes along and makes them go "Oh yeah! I remember that." CIG short circuits this by only ever publishing "Idea of thing" videos. Since the "Oh yeah!" moment never happens, people only casually tuning in never get that pointed reminder that the company last talked about, say, medical gameplay five or whatever years ago. Backers who do remember are invested enough that they will use this as cover to misrepresent the project to themselves and others.

* Most people are really really bad at critical thinking. This is why like 90% of press releases and politics and public relations actually works. People just accept poo poo at face value if it is wrapped in enough official language or, better yet, by peers. Think about this forum- if enough goons said this company is the bee's knees and super honest, would you question it initially or would you check it out? If "Checking it out" involved watching literally years and years and hundreds of hours of super loving boring theorycraft videos, would you really bother or would you assume that what you were hearing right now was probably valid and in keeping with past statements? If you did that, how long would it take before you started to realize this company was actually totally full of poo poo? It might be years, depending on how tuned in you were to month-to-month announcements.

This is the fundamental churn that the company relies on, with excited megawhales roping in people who aren't paying attention at a rate equal to or exceeding the rate at which they get wise to the fact that the noises the company is making this year sound exactly like the noises last year and nothing's actually being done.

:wrong:

It's much more simple. CIG says it is the most open developer ever and therefore SC is the most open project ever. It's just your regular run-of-the-mill culty behavior.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%
I liked the Star Kitty mess when Sandi tried to prove she was the best marketer since she was a little girl by ripping off a well known IP.
Still no clue why they didn't get their asses sued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
I'm nominating all the Major Tom videos. Still hilarious and I bet Roberts absolutely hates them.