Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
To expand on this, light can only travel at light speed because photons don't have mass and infinity times zero is still zero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

DrSunshine posted:

It comes from special relativity, and comes out as a consequence of the mass-energy equivalence - E=mc^2. Without getting into the math of it, accelerating requires energy, and energy is the same as mass. It only becomes relevant as you approach the speed of light, but essentially it becomes exponentially more and more energy-intensive to accelerate something the closer and closer you get to light speed, because the faster you go, the more massive you are because the more energy you have. This means that you would require infinite energy to accelerate to light speed.

You are not a moron. :)

Thank you for not calling me a moron. :) I might just not be smart enough to get it. I don't think I understand the terms. Let's say we're shooting a dime at FTL and have, somehow, created an accelerating device that is only the weight of another dime that we've attached to it. I don't want to use the term "magic", but lets say the second dime can harness the energy of a sun or whatever. Why would the acceleration just stop? Like we could get to 99.9% of light speed, but not light speed, because...?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
You would infinitely accelerate but your rate of acceleration would exponentially decrease as you approach the speed of light (as it will take more energy to accelerate the same amount the faster you are going) so you will never get there.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

1glitch0 posted:

Thank you for not calling me a moron. :) I might just not be smart enough to get it. I don't think I understand the terms. Let's say we're shooting a dime at FTL and have, somehow, created an accelerating device that is only the weight of another dime that we've attached to it. I don't want to use the term "magic", but lets say the second dime can harness the energy of a sun or whatever. Why would the acceleration just stop? Like we could get to 99.9% of light speed, but not light speed, because...?

Only things without mass can actually reach the speed of light. Photons, the packet of energy that we know as light, does not have any mass. Things without mass can only travel at the speed of light.

As soon as something has mass, it cannot ever reach light speed. It can get really close, but the closer it gets, the more massive it is, which then requires more energy to make it go faster.

watch this and see if it sheds some massless packets of energy onto the situation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msVuCEs8Ydo

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

1glitch0 posted:

the way i've heard it explain is that as you approach the speed of light, you actually begin to accumulate mass when energy is further applied. So all that happens is the dime is going to gain mass as you apply more energy to it.

E=mc^2 is a constant, not an equation (or something like that). so because c = sqrt(E/m), as energy increases, so must mass.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

1glitch0 posted:

It's like you're on a treadmill that continually gets faster and faster, no matter how hard you try, no matter how hard you run.

Or-- Let's say I'm running, and I look up ahead, and I only have a mile left. But somehow, God is interfering with me. As soon as I reach the halfway mark, God doubles the amount of distance left. I speed up, and reach it again. God multiplies the distance left by 4. I try to speed up, but every time I reach the halfway mark, God doubles the distance again, and again and again. By the third time, God multiplies it by 8, then 16, then 32, then 64 and so on. It's plain to see that I will never, ever, ever reach the end because as long as I move forward, God is always doubling the distance left to run faster than I can move.

EDIT: With your dime, say it is moving 99.9% of light speed. Fair enough! It's moving very fast. But if you want to move it at 99.99% light speed, say that costs 1 Tiberium. Great! Now it's moving that much faster. But if you want to go from 99.99%, it costs 100 Tiberium. To go to 99.999%, it costs 10,000 Tiberium. To get to 99.9999% it costs 10000000 Tiberium! You can expend all the Tiberium you want, but you'll never get to 100% because you would need to expend an infinite amount of Tiberium to get there.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 11, 2019

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Everything in the universe moves at the speed of light. You're only allowed to change direction. You can be moving through time and moving through space, but you can't move at the speed of light through space and also move forward through time. We spend our lives moving more or less at the speed of light in the timeward direction.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Arglebargle III posted:

Everything in the universe moves at the speed of light.

This is not correct at all.

Arglebargle III posted:

You're only allowed to change direction.

No

Arglebargle III posted:

You can be moving through time and moving through space, but you can't move at the speed of light through space and also move forward through time.

Also No. Time and space are not separate things. Spacetime is one thing. nothing can truly be stationary, ever, because you are always moving in one way or another.

Arglebargle III posted:

but you can't move at the speed of light through space and also move forward through time.

Close. Only massless particles can travel at the speed of light, and they experience no spacetime between source and destination. It's not just time that is zeroed out, but space as well.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

A lot of people with physics degrees get this wrong or express this wrong at least.

The speed of light is not the maximum speed in the universe. This is a really important point for understanding special relativity. The speed of light is the only speed in the universe. The universe is not a space that has the magical property that nothing can go faster than c. The universe is a spacetime that has the property that everything in it moves at c.

Science youtube channels are exactly the place where you'll get the first, wrong answer reinforced so really do go read a book though. I recommend Why Does E=MC2 by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 11, 2019

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

A lot of people with physics degrees get this wrong or express this wrong at least.

The speed of light is not the maximum speed in the universe. This is a really important point for understanding special relativity. The speed of light is the only speed in the universe. The universe is not a space that has the magical property that nothing can go faster than c. The universe is a spacetime that has the property that everything in it moves at c.

Science youtube channels are exactly the place where you'll get the first, wrong answer reinforced so really do go read a book though. I recommend Why Does E=MC2 by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw.

You just expressed it entirely wrong yourself, so do you have a YouTube channel i can throw under the bus?

PBS spacetime is not a Chanel that gets it wrong as far as my limited understanding goes.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Feh to all of that.

You may think you get this. You may think you comprehend it, even that you comprehend it well. I know I did. What did I need the math for? I got the concept. Plus, I suck at math.

Turns out, when I needed to go deeper, I had to learn the math. As I said, I suck at math, so it was hard. But I loving did it. And you know what? I didn't know it without the math. I didn't understand it. I thought I comprehended it, but what I had comprehended was empty. The math helped me really understand. It made the concept sing. It was worth the effort.

Forget analogies. If you want to really know how it works, dedicate yourself to learning the math. Otherwise, you're cheating yourself. Maybe you're fine with that, but I know I wasn't.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

This thread really wants me to start a youtube channel.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

1glitch0 posted:

You can impart as much energy to the dime as you like, but it will never go faster than light. As the velocity of the object approaches the speed of light it requires arbitrarily larger amounts of energy to gain smaller and smaller changes in velocity (i.e. acceleration). If you know what a hyperbola is, the graph of kinetic energy as a function of velocity would look something like that, with the asymptote at c.

(Don't want to get into a whole thing about the actual mathematics, just saying if you want to get the gist, imagine that.)

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Arglebargle III posted:

I mean, you're not wrong, but understanding what this means and why it has to be so takes a bit of unpacking, and requires effort on the part of the listener that you're not always going to get. Furthermore it doesn't actually contradict the statement "the maximum achievable velocity is c" because the implicit assumption there is maximum achievable velocity through space and no listener will assume otherwise. It's leaving some important bits out, but they're not so important that leaving them out rises to the level of "getting it wrong."

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

FTL itself isn't specifically in to the past time travel.

It is, though. FTL = Time Travel, there's no grand limit on this. If you can travel at FTL speeds, you can engage in time travel.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It just allows time travel by moving between referance frames.

If you do that, you are time travelling. If you move at FTL speeds away from the Earth, then return at FTL speeds, you can arrive an arbitrary amount of time before you left, i.e. time travel into the past.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Which like, I guess if you are doing something so weird and it messes up causality that would suck but consequences being weird if you take them to the edges doesn't mean they can't happen.

"It would be too weird" isn't really an argument against something being real. "FTL can't be real because then you could do crazy poo poo I don't like the sound of" is a pretty weak concept. Even if I agree messing up causality sounds like a bad plan.

Any time you move at FTL speeds you are breaking causality. I come back to Atomic Rocket because they did write-ups on this with useful diagrams for grasping the causality violations that FTL anything causes.

Project Rho posted:

However, faster-than-light communication (which includes travel) breaks something very fundamental about physics, something that is often ignored by sci-fi, and difficult for non-physicists to understand. If you allow faster-than-light (FTL), then you break causality: you are allowing time-travel. One pithy way of saying this is:

Pick two:

Relativity
    Causality
    FTL

The Universe has picked relativity and causality, it seems. Thus, we cannot travel or communicate faster than light.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

ashpanash posted:

Feh to all of that.

You may think you get this. You may think you comprehend it, even that you comprehend it well. I know I did. What did I need the math for? I got the concept. Plus, I suck at math.

Turns out, when I needed to go deeper, I had to learn the math. As I said, I suck at math, so it was hard. But I loving did it. And you know what? I didn't know it without the math. I didn't understand it. I thought I comprehended it, but what I had comprehended was empty. The math helped me really understand. It made the concept sing. It was worth the effort.

Forget analogies. If you want to really know how it works, dedicate yourself to learning the math. Otherwise, you're cheating yourself. Maybe you're fine with that, but I know I wasn't.

I know enough of the math to know that i don't know enough math to have a true understanding. However, there's nothing wrong with starting at a conceptual level and parsing what you can.

That's one nice thing about some science channels, they make some of the high level math accessible.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I thought infinity times zero is undefined?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

I thought infinity times zero is undefined?

it depends on what infinity

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

LtStorm posted:

It is, though. FTL = Time Travel, there's no grand limit on this. If you can travel at FTL speeds, you can engage in time travel.

If you do that, you are time travelling. If you move at FTL speeds away from the Earth, then return at FTL speeds, you can arrive an arbitrary amount of time before you left, i.e. time travel into the past.

Any time you move at FTL speeds you are breaking causality. I come back to Atomic Rocket because they did write-ups on this with useful diagrams for grasping the causality violations that FTL anything causes.

theres no such thing as global causality in GR though. The space-time of General Relativity is a Pseudo-Riemannian Manifold. That means that while it isn't necessarily flat, you can always take a small enough region of space that locally it behaves just like Minkowski space. This is why any principle that applies in Special Relativity globally must apply to General Relativity locally. Speed of light is a global limit in SR, but a local one in GR. Causality is globally enforced in SR, but only locally in GR. And so on.

We have fields that satisfy certain conditions locally, which gives you local causality. But global structure is determined by the Lagrangian and boundary conditions. In the big picture, there isn't a cause-and-effect, because the entire structure is already predetermined. If you have a flat space-time, you can use the local causality to build up a causal timeline, which is basically what we're doing. But having exceptions to that simply isn't a contradiction.

PawParole fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Dec 11, 2019

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

ashpanash posted:

From what I remember, the EMDrive guy didn't have an argument either, he just built this thing and measured some thrust from it. When he attempted to explain it in some way, he had to resort to weird, utterly nonsensical poo poo like 'bouncing off pilot waves' in order to explain how it worked.

Basically, yeah. Also conservation of momentum is a prrtty big deal, Noether's theorem (a badass math lady btw) means it is mathematical fact in spacetime. You really need crazy speculative quantum poo poo to be true to even begin to break it. A misshaped microwave ain't gonna cut it.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Libluini posted:

I think the Einstein-Rosen Bridge isn't possible at all, at least I've read on Wikipedia/Scientific American that an Einstein-Rosen Bridge is defined as a wormhole between a black hole and a white hole and since we never found evidence for white holes, they probably don't exist. Do wormholes between two black holes have their own term to describe them, or are people just calling them Einstein-Rosen Bridges anyway?

So properly explaining this would require me to get into math and drawing spacetime diagrams that I did enough of for life, but the short of it is an ER bridge is what happens when you describe a black hole in a certain coordinate system. Since GR is invariant under choice of coordinates, this is valid. Except now you can extend the coordinates beyond what a BH is, and get an object on the other side, basically kinda like assuming you can be a negative distance away from a black hole. That's a white hole. We can guess at it's properties if it were to exist, but the question is if this is simply a mathematical curiosity or something that is physically meaningful.

An ER bridge is then changing the coordinates in spacetime and picking a path in those coordinates that allows you to cross from one to the other, and is why it's often considered the most viable type of wormhole.

quote:

On the galaxies without dark matter thing, I believe I've read something about that on Scientific American, too. Wasn't there a controversy about how the observations of seemingly dark matter-less galaxies were interpreted or were the new papers after that and about something even newer?

There was controversy - very rightly, even if borne out of the niche I have mentioned - but these are new findings. I'm on mobile so can't really easily chuck in the links but you should be able to find those two papers if you search in google.

quote:

But at least I would hold back before judging this new development. I've read Sabine Hossenfelder describing how the diphoton-thing went down and I was embarrassed by proxy by all the time that was wasted by what was essentially, just white noise in the LHC-data.

Sure, there have been some absolute clunkers in particle physics. Pentaquark was another thing. That said, standard of proof in physics is really high generally. In medicine/sociology, most research findings are false due to high p value, p hacking, and most hypotheses are false which means false positives far outweigh the correct positives.

We should of course reserve some judgment, but it is far from only proof, just the latest in line.

quote:

For all we know, we may already have found some Dyson sphere-like constructions. Some of the systems near us behave oddly, with something dimming the light in regular patterns. All the conventional explanations for the observations so far (dust clouds, really dense Oort clouds, etc.) have certainly been plausible, but non of them cover all aspects of the observations perfectly. There's always something missing were astronomers have to shrug and wait for better data. My personal bet is 5% chance of at least one of them being aliens. :haw:
I don't know about aliens being better for those but I agree a Dyson structure is probably the right thing to look for if we want to see advanced aliens. Problem is that what you want to build is a Dyson swarm, which likely is more difficult to detect.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

ashpanash posted:

Feh to all of that.

This is 100 percent accurate.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

PawParole posted:

theres no such thing as global causality in GR though. The space-time of General Relativity is a Pseudo-Riemannian Manifold. That means that while it isn't necessarily flat, you can always take a small enough region of space that locally it behaves just like Minkowski space. This is why any principle that applies in Special Relativity globally must apply to General Relativity locally. Speed of light is a global limit in SR, but a local one in GR. Causality is globally enforced in SR, but only locally in GR. And so on.

We have fields that satisfy certain conditions locally, which gives you local causality. But global structure is determined by the Lagrangian and boundary conditions. In the big picture, there isn't a cause-and-effect, because the entire structure is already predetermined. If you have a flat space-time, you can use the local causality to build up a causal timeline, which is basically what we're doing. But having exceptions to that simply isn't a contradiction.

While this is true, a closed timelike curve in GR is a very iffy subject. They are probably possible since a Kerr spacetime contains them, and in the exterior it is a physical solution that we don't have a reason to doubt for the interior outside the singularity. Very disconcerting, but cosmic censorship saves us here.

Of course censorship is a philosophical argument, and you can invent more audacious arguments how a CTC could work outside of an event horizon. Those are real murky waters to tread.

E; sorry for post spam but there were lots of things I wanted to respond to and it would be tricky to do in one post on mobile.

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Dec 11, 2019

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Thank christ that the last several posts have been actually and genuinely interesting physics and math discussions. I feel like I'm getting a sneak peak into the cutting edge. One of the older posts that was, "Sometimes physics actually has a certain simplicity/elegance to it" was also deeply fascinating.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

LtStorm posted:

Any time you move at FTL speeds you are breaking causality.

What if you do though? "Then would be really weird and bad!" is a reason to not want something to be possible, not a protection that it isn't possible. It'd be really hosed up if causality was just a local condition but like, "it'd be really hosed up! No I mean, like really hosed up! can you imagine? gently caress, that would be way too hosed up" isn't a reason something can't be.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
There's also for example some theories that maybe wormholes have some kind of self-correcting measure to prevent causality breaking down.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

There's also for example some theories that maybe wormholes have some kind of self-correcting measure to prevent causality breaking down.

Yeah, that's the handwavy stuff I alluded to. It's got holes (tautological in nature for one thing), though some arguments we hold as likely true also do, so real iffy to talk about, and very metaphysical.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

What if you do though? "Then would be really weird and bad!" is a reason to not want something to be possible, not a protection that it isn't possible. It'd be really hosed up if causality was just a local condition but like, "it'd be really hosed up! No I mean, like really hosed up! can you imagine? gently caress, that would be way too hosed up" isn't a reason something can't be.

Bu you can't have cause precede effect! All of our current physics is based on this premise, and physics explains the universe with unbelievable accuracy and precision: "The Standard Model can make predictions that match experiments to one part in 10 billion." General Relativity has been measured fantastically accurately as well. Our confidence in physics is based on how well it explains the observations we make, so if you throw out causality, you'd have to supply evidence that beats out the current models of physics with greater accuracy and better predictive power than anything we have right now.

EDIT:

Look at this cool picture of a gravitational lens, captured by the Hubble Space Telescope. Wow!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
We have like an even better camera being put up at one of the Lagrange points right?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Raenir Salazar posted:

We have like an even better camera being put up at one of the Lagrange points right?

:lol:

Yes it's definitely launching in 2007080910111314151618192021 for sure!

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

eXXon posted:

:lol:

Yes it's definitely launching in 2007080910111314151618192021 for sure!

gently caress I hope JWST makes it up eventually.

The latest news was that the sun shield deployment passed some tests.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2019/nasa-s-james-webb-space-telescope-clears-critical-sunshield-deployment-testing

With the luck we've had so far, it's going to blow on one of Musk's rockets halfway to L1.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

ashpanash posted:

From what I remember, the EMDrive guy didn't have an argument either, he just built this thing and measured some thrust from it. When he attempted to explain it in some way, he had to resort to weird, utterly nonsensical poo poo like 'bouncing off pilot waves' in order to explain how it worked.

No he has an argument. It is on his website. It isn’t grossly wrong—there is some subtle flaw in his argument that I’m not getting.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

i reckon theres aliens. if they're so smart we can't even comprehend it then it stands to reason we just aren't smart enough to figure out what to look for or where. our grasp of physics and whatnot is just too primitive. sort of like how ants don't really comprehend what a human is.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

oocc I don't think you appreciate the magnitude of a statement like "causality isn't true"

Trainee PornStar
Jul 20, 2006

I'm just an inbetweener

A big flaming stink posted:

oocc I don't think you appreciate the magnitude of a statement like "causality isn't true"

I've only got a very shaky grasp on things but my understanding of if "causality isn't true" would mean things 'just happen'.

Surely we'd see more unicorns?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

This:

A big flaming stink posted:

If a post is made in a forum and no one is there to read it, does it still exist?

Who knows! But for a post to have been made, someone has to make it. Posts don't just appear fully formed out of nowhere. Calling causality into question also casts into debate lots of things we can see and verify, like posts.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Trainee PornStar posted:

I've only got a very shaky grasp on things but my understanding of if "causality isn't true" would mean things 'just happen'.

Surely we'd see more unicorns?

i mean, everything we understand is predicated on logic, and logic is predicated on causality.

if causality is not true, then we literally know nothing. the fact that everything we have observed up to this time appears to follow causality just means that our observations are also worthless.

like, imagine if every time you observed anything you would have to give equal consideration to hume's problem of induction. at that point solipsism becomes a valid interpretation of reality.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 11, 2019

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

It's also possible that actual FTL travel or tachyon technology requires updating the equations we use for Lorentz transformations between reference frames or time dilation, or the tachyons themselves don't travel in straight lines through time or some such exotic physics so reference frames don't end up with negative time factors.

Obviously if faster-than-light phenomena exist, there are physics about them that we don't currently understand. If the physics laws we know about allowed FTL properties, we'd already have figured out how they work.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Infinite Karma posted:

It's also possible that actual FTL travel or tachyon technology requires updating the equations we use for Lorentz transformations between reference frames or time dilation, or the tachyons themselves don't travel in straight lines through time or some such exotic physics so reference frames don't end up with negative time factors.

Obviously if faster-than-light phenomena exist, there are physics about them that we don't currently understand. If the physics laws we know about allowed FTL properties, we'd already have figured out how they work.

im not sure if this works. Even if we can "cheat" with regards to distance, etc, that still would allow information to propagate at faster than the speed of light which, again, renders causality on shaky grounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/fasterlight.php#exultant posted:

Time was slippery. The way Pirius understood it, it was only the speed of light that imposed causal sequences on events.

According to the venerable arguments of relativity there wasn't even a common "now" you could establish across significant distances. All that existed were events, points in space and time. If you had to travel slower than lightspeed from one event to the next, then everything was okay, for the events would be causally connected: you would see everything growing older in an orderly manner.

But with FTL travel, beyond the bounds of lightspeed, the orderly structure of space and time became irrelevant, leaving nothing but events, disconnected incidents floating in the dark. And with an FTL ship you could hop from one event to another arbitrarily, without regard to any putative cause-and-effect sequence.

In this war it wasn't remarkable to have dinged-up ships limping home from an engagement that hadn't happened yet; at Arches Base that occurred every day. And it wasn't unusual to have news from the future. In fact, sending messages to command posts back in the past was a deliberate combat tactic. The flow of information from future to past wasn't perfect; it all depended on complicated geometries of trajectories and FTL leaps. But it was good enough to allow the Commissaries, in their Academies on distant Earth, to compile libraries of possible futures, invaluable precognitive data that shaped strategies — even if decisions made in the present could wipe away many of those futures before they came to pass.

A war fought with FTL technology had to be like this.

Of course foreknowledge would have been a great advantage — if not for the fact that the other side had precisely the same capability. In an endless sequence of guesses and counterguesses, as history was tweaked by one side or the other, and then tweaked again in response, the timeline was endlessly redrafted. With both sides foreseeing engagements to come for decades, even centuries ahead, and each side able to counter the other's move even before it had been formulated, it was no wonder that the war had long settled down to a lethal stalemate, stalled in a static front that enveloped the Galaxy's heart.