Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

i wrote that post specifically for evilweasel and nobody else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Lone Goat posted:

Hey buddy I think last time you brought this up I told you to go in with four friends and each pick a colour and trade each other all the good cards, what happened?

Also I'm real curious what the person traded to get three Oko, especially at 1:1

We did, kinda? We went in with Mono-Red, Knights, Adventure and W/U artifacts plan going in after sealed night but 6 of the other 8 league folks rushed black early and real quality adventure enablers like Innkeeper and Clover just didn't show up enough so we had to adjust. Draft pods were randomly assigned on a weekly basis with availability considerations so we couldn't control that very well either. Our Knight player landed multiple Clackbridge Trolls and Giant Killers so they morphed into a midrange beatdown thing and I managed to draft the Rider, Castle, LoveStruck Beasts, Troll King and three pies in draft 2 so I felt I could stake that combo out well enough. Our Monored guy is doing swell with a couple Fervent Champions, 3 or 4 Bonecrushers and two Dragons. He's up against Mono Black in the semis, but I'm worried Oven Cats and Revenge of Ravens may stall him out.

The Oko deck came about because one of our more casual players pulled an alt-art Oko and Wicked Wolf in her sealed pool to much rejoicing, drafted a second, and our Mono Red guy traded her another for a Fervent Champion because he's not really into organized play outside our group and wanted to see the madness unfold. I watched the deck impressively dismantle the league organizer's Draw Two deck because Oko +Trail of Crumbs was too much value to overcome. The Oko ban happened right after trade day too but we felt like trying to force her to drop them was a dick move.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 10, 2019

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

(Incoming extremely nerdy article 9 joke)
If you have a security interest in someone’s modern deck and you file a financing statement indicating “threats” while another creditor has a filed financing statement indicating “disruption,” in the event of default, who has priority to Oko?

nobody, because oko is a walking negligence claim and must be described with specificity for a security interest to attach

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Lone Goat posted:

Also I'm real curious what the person traded to get three Oko, especially at 1:1

This x 70000

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

and our Mono Red guy traded her another (Oko) for a Fervent Champion because he's not really into organized play outside our group and wanted to see the madness unfold.

So you're playing in some bananas, made-for-collusion format, brought in fellow colluders, and one of your fellows illegally (mythic for rare) traded an absolutely disgusting bomb that would've fit your deck perfectly for a fair-to-middling one-drop?

Also a card being banned in standard doesn't make it unplayable in any limited format.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

evilweasel posted:

nobody, because oko is a walking negligence claim and must be described with specificity for a security interest to attach

:vince:

I genuinely think that judging and familiarity with the comp rules helped me pass Secured since I’m used to memorizing gobbledegook rules interactions. the layer system is way more bullshit than the UCC

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
It's been a weird league. There was another guy who managed to amass multiple questing beasts and murderous riders who then dropped out right before trade day. A Naya-Adventure guy with 4 Bonecrushers and the rest of the clovers and Lovestruck Beasts placed bottom in his half, and the Fuckload of Bears guy placed first in ours. There was a sole B/U mill player who's a hardcore modern guy who had his pick of whatever he wanted and he didn't make it to the semis either. After the mad rush for black only one other person played B/G, who had a pretty stacked sealed pool with QB, Troll King and Garruk, but they placed bottom in our half and I beat them in the mirror match.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 10, 2019

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

So, Pioneer seems weird and kinda cool, but I assume its already been mtgfinanced to death. Is there any point in trying to get in on the ground floor? Seems like nobody knows what's good yet, but once they figure it out it'll instantly be just as expensive as modern. Are there any staples that would be nice to have 4 of and go into multiple decks? Right now the only thing I can think of is non-basic lands and Thoughtseize.

Also is that 4-color Jeskai ascendancy for real? I love dumb combo decks and I was also thinking of playing Aetherflux Reservoir storm with Paradoxical Outcome and Whir of Invention, but since I can't find a decklist from a tournament, I'm either A. The first person to think of it or B. bad at making decks.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
everything that could spike has already spiked, you should have got into it 2 months ago

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

PJOmega posted:

So you're playing in some bananas, made-for-collusion format, brought in fellow colluders, and one of your fellows illegally (mythic for rare) traded an absolutely disgusting bomb that would've fit your deck perfectly for a fair-to-middling one-drop?

Also a card being banned in standard doesn't make it unplayable in any limited format.

We're the same group of ~10 friends who've played this league format together for 2 years as a way to get some semi competative play in because we're all adults with jobs that don't line up and families to worry about. Some us have been friends since middle school. None of us are in this to screw each other over for silly league games with made up stakes over cardboard but it would come out pretty fast if we did and the league would fall apart. The politicking aspect is an intended part of the league because we're all maneuvering for the best deck we can make by the end and people enjoy how it changes their draft considerations, although we'll probably drop the Trade Day finale next time.

Now MonoRed guy trading his Oko away for a Fervent Champion was a silly move but he hadn't been paying attention to the set and promised it early. One of the earliest rules compromises we had was to allow Rare for Mythic trades, so that's how that happened.

But a guy running a mess of uncommons to generate a dozen bears at a time did just as well as our 3 Okos person so I'm not upset about it.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

A Moose posted:

So, Pioneer seems weird and kinda cool, but I assume its already been mtgfinanced to death. Is there any point in trying to get in on the ground floor? Seems like nobody knows what's good yet, but once they figure it out it'll instantly be just as expensive as modern. Are there any staples that would be nice to have 4 of and go into multiple decks? Right now the only thing I can think of is non-basic lands and Thoughtseize.
There's plenty of poo poo you can get for the same price as a standard deck right now. Everyone's getting weird with decklists and it's incredibly fun.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

A Moose posted:

If you have no cards for the format (or just some cards) I would personally wait until they get switched to the normal B&R announcements instead of the weekly ones as WOTC has been banning a card or two from the best deck every other week. The projected staples and current staples of the format have already spiked (though nothing to modern levels) and the format is shifting fairly quick, with the best deck more or less changing every other week.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Historic has a (potentially) temp ban list: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/historic-suspension-announcement-2019-12-10

OUaT, Field, Oko, and Veil are suspended in Historic.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Can't wait for it to function exactly like a ban list.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
lol there's literally no difference between "Oko is banned unless and until we decide to unban it at somepoint" and "Oko is suspended until we decide to unsuspend it".

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Entropic posted:

lol there's literally no difference between "Oko is banned unless and until we decide to unban it at somepoint" and "Oko is suspended until we decide to unsuspend it".

the messaging of "We're banning this but might unban it in like, a month, if things don't work out" is a bit different, even if their insistence on giving it a new name is a bit silly

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Entropic posted:

You get to remove a time counter from the card at the beginning of your upkeep, duh.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Historic has a (potentially) temp ban list: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/historic-suspension-announcement-2019-12-10

OUaT, Field, Oko, and Veil are suspended in Historic.

Nice emergency bans everyone!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

We're the same group of ~10 friends who've played this league format together for 2 years as a way to get some semi competative play in because we're all adults with jobs that don't line up and families to worry about. Some us have been friends since middle school. None of us are in this to screw each other over for silly league games with made up stakes over cardboard but it would come out pretty fast if we did and the league would fall apart. The politicking aspect is an intended part of the league because we're all maneuvering for the best deck we can make by the end and people enjoy how it changes their draft considerations, although we'll probably drop the Trade Day finale next time.

Now MonoRed guy trading his Oko away for a Fervent Champion was a silly move but he hadn't been paying attention to the set and promised it early. One of the earliest rules compromises we had was to allow Rare for Mythic trades, so that's how that happened.

But a guy running a mess of uncommons to generate a dozen bears at a time did just as well as our 3 Okos person so I'm not upset about it.

While I do appreciate how in flavour your friend's commitment to trading away gold for magic beans during this set is, if you're going to ask for advice about your goofball faux-block-constructed "sealed" league for a third time, make sure one of your co-colluders isn't a complete doofus.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Noted.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Hellsau posted:

Nice emergency bans everyone!

Certainly the third place to ban these cards will be the last!

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

As someone who has tried to get into most good stuff in pioneer before prices climbed, if there is one thing this format has taught me it's that prices for these cards are so much less volatile than modern, because print runs got huge. Very very few cards have really ever "popped". The most action has been on really obvious stuff, but only literally like 5 cards, that aren't even in the best decks, have moved more than what I'd consider non-speculation numbers. Talking about things like Jace VP and Liliana the last hope, mythics that aren't even in tier 1 decks, going up $20 while Rankle chilled at like $7 even when mono black was actively taking over the game, or Hydroid Krasis has just continued to slide and plateau. There have been some mythic spikes for stupid terrible-set things like Kalitas and Nissa Voice, too.

I guess long story short is that sure, you might have missed the cheapest buy-in period for poo poo like Mana Confluence, but Pioneer is still outrageously cheap compared to Modern and most of the played creatures and lands are massively-printed rares.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
For now.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

It will always be better than Modern simply due to the much higher print run.

Edit: Modern at its peak at least. Modern may crash and burn.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
People are still very hesitant because of the frequent bannings. It's also close to Christmas so less money going into mtg. I expect prices to increase when the ban announcements go back to the regular schedule and we get closer to the PT.

Doubt it'll get insane like $1200+ for tier 1 decks but this format is probably going to be the most popular comp format next year so prices can't stay cheap.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

DangerDongs posted:

It will always be better than Modern simply due to the much higher print run.

Edit: Modern at its peak at least. Modern may crash and burn.

It doesn't take much to make Modern easier to get into. They could have reprinted things into the ground, but Wizards chose not to.

All it takes is for enough cards with only one edition to get skipped in a reprint set. You're lucky that Fatal Push was included in the Mystery Booster set. But once some deck rolls out that runs a set of a few mythics that are unlikely to get reprinted in a core set, the cardboard cartel will snatch it all up and charge you $30 or $40 a hit for Hazoret or Torrential Gearhulk.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Just found out about this stupid brawlidays bullshit, I don't play the format but it sucks for anyone that wants to on arena. If I'm understanding this right, you get to pay around 10 bucks to play the format on any day rather than the usual Wednesdays only, for a little over a month.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/mtg-arena-state-game-december-2019-12-10

quote:

Brawlidays

Last month, we also talked about balancing the desire for more on-demand play while also ensuring that there are different and exciting experiences every time you play. However, when it came to all the play modes and formats that MTG Arena currently supports, there was one format in particular that has been at the forefront of something that players would like to see more of.

We're introducing a Brawl event with a one-time entry fee, available from December 12 to January 16. For 10,000 Gold or 2,000 Gems, you'll get into the event and receive one copy of a card we are adding to Brawl.

It is imperative to Magic that artifical scarcity exist, and if you can't do it with the cards digitally you can at least do it with the formats.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Cactrot posted:

Just found out about this stupid brawlidays bullshit, I don't play the format but it sucks for anyone that wants to on arena. If I'm understanding this right, you get to pay around 10 bucks to play the format on any day rather than the usual Wednesdays only, for a little over a month.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/mtg-arena-state-game-december-2019-12-10

It is imperative to Magic that artifical scarcity exist, and if you can't do it with the cards digitally you can at least do it with the formats.

Forced ARTificial Scarcity

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Have a Buy A Box

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Brawl thing seems super overblown. Any serious Arena player probably has 10K+ just sitting around unless you’re judiciously buying your pack every day. I’ve had 20K+ banked up since the Oko bans, I don’t really have anything else to spend gold on unless I need to burn through a few packs real quick to get my next WC.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
pretty garbage bab card tbh. Off the top of my head, for 6 mana you could be playing liliana, garruk, ethereal absolution, casualties of war which are all more immediately impactful and/or provide more value in the long run.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

The Brawl thing seems super overblown. Any serious Arena player probably has 10K+ just sitting around unless you’re judiciously buying your pack every day. I’ve had 20K+ banked up since the Oko bans, I don’t really have anything else to spend gold on unless I need to burn through a few packs real quick to get my next WC.

They shouldn't charge $10 to access a constructed format queue.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

AngryBooch posted:

They shouldn't charge $10 to access a constructed format queue.

It doesn’t feel like I’m spending money because the game is free and gives me the currency for free by playing it

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

It doesn’t feel like I’m spending money because the game is free and gives me the currency for free by playing it

My man, that's the whole loving point of the free to play business model. It doesn't feel like you're spending money.... but you are.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

WalrusWhiskers posted:

pretty garbage bab card tbh. Off the top of my head, for 6 mana you could be playing liliana, garruk, ethereal absolution, casualties of war which are all more immediately impactful and/or provide more value in the long run.

Eh, it's basically a way to make any creature on the battlefield indestructible, I could see that being useful. You could also use it to abuse death/ETB triggers with the oven.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
Wow that's pretty lovely of them gating a major format behind 10k gold.

My preferred format on Arena is draft, so I always have <5000 gold. But I really enjoy Brawl and wish I could play it more often.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ok I mean, I’m not spending money though, like the bank account I have with real US currency stays untouched. I play Arena for like an hour a day or more pretty much every day and have tens of thousands of free currency sitting in my bank, but I guess simply by playing the game I am being conned out of my hard earned F2P currency, which I should spend on cosmetics and loot boxes instead of just being able to play the format I like for a month.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

doom foretold-> basilica bell-haunt or cavalier of dawn/night-> athreos

something like that

I like how, at least, it's too awkward and slow to be a control finisher. It wants other creatures on the battlefield.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

WalrusWhiskers posted:

i think they learned their nexus of fate lesson that a BaB should be a fun card not a tournament card

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Does the 10k give you four copies of Rhys?

evilweasel posted:

i think they learned their nexus of fate lesson that a BaB should be a fun card not a tournament card

Or at the very least, something narrow/expensive enough that it's not a 4-of in a typical deck if it ends up playable. Like Kenrith, which is good but if you only have one of him because you bought a box, you can be happy. Or the 6-mana enchantment creature thing, which might end up in a deck but nobody is going to need a playset for constructed.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 11, 2019