Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

tuyop posted:

"Inconclusive"

Drawing from my Physics background ...

Is there any measurement of the rate of increase in methane being released from this area?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

VictualSquid posted:

So wait, you are saying the kids are currently not making it to school currently, but when you are arguing against public transportation we have to assume they all are happy with their cars?

No. Again, read what I am saying, jesus. There are days when its so cold the busses literally will not start, or will stall while being driven. On those days you can either strand some kids - by and large of lower socioeconomic status - at home while the kids with families with cars can still go, thus enlarging the achievement gap between kids of different socioeconomic status because poor kids miss more days due to cold, or you can just say 'everyone gets the day off and we'll make it up at the end of the year.' A certain number of 'snow days' (which are increasingly becoming cold days because we get more of those than we do snow) are built into the calendars in schools in mountain areas and the Midwest. Its a known phenomenon. But its getting kind of ridiculous. Records are being broken. They've closed schools before for cold as far back as 1977 because kids who walked were getting frostbite but not with this frequency. I don't think you in warmer climates realize how dangerous extreme cold can be. Kids because they're smaller tend to be more susceptible to the cold, and a lot of schools have trailers and outbuildings to handle overcrowding, which means kids and teachers have to go out into the cold multiple times a day while switching classes, which tends to lead to them getting sick in addition to being dangerous.

And no, this is not me arguing against public transportation, again. This is me stating that in areas where there is not public transportation and the weather can be dangerous, until you get that infrastructure to a point where its viable, you are still going to need another way to get around. Not everyone can 'just bike or walk or take public transportation.'

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Ontario cancelled the last wind farm under construction, will now pay to tear it down too

I'm taking bets on when they start dynamiting the built and functional stations at any cost, just to own the libs, as is the way of regressives.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Oracle posted:

No. Again, read what I am saying, jesus. There are days when its so cold the busses literally will not start, or will stall while being driven. On those days you can either strand some kids - by and large of lower socioeconomic status - at home while the kids with families with cars can still go, thus enlarging the achievement gap between kids of different socioeconomic status because poor kids miss more days due to cold, or you can just say 'everyone gets the day off and we'll make it up at the end of the year.' A certain number of 'snow days' (which are increasingly becoming cold days because we get more of those than we do snow) are built into the calendars in schools in mountain areas and the Midwest. Its a known phenomenon. But its getting kind of ridiculous. Records are being broken. They've closed schools before for cold as far back as 1977 because kids who walked were getting frostbite but not with this frequency. I don't think you in warmer climates realize how dangerous extreme cold can be. Kids because they're smaller tend to be more susceptible to the cold, and a lot of schools have trailers and outbuildings to handle overcrowding, which means kids and teachers have to go out into the cold multiple times a day while switching classes, which tends to lead to them getting sick in addition to being dangerous.

And no, this is not me arguing against public transportation, again. This is me stating that in areas where there is not public transportation and the weather can be dangerous, until you get that infrastructure to a point where its viable, you are still going to need another way to get around. Not everyone can 'just bike or walk or take public transportation.'
It sounds like the correct solution is to invest in better public transportation.
What are you suggesting instead?

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

A couple of years ago there were a slew of articles about a geoengineering plan intended to reverse arctic sea ice loss using a massive array of windmills. The idea was to use the windmills to pump sea water to the ice surface in winter to freeze, making the ice thicker and better able to survive the summer months. Here's a cute graphic summarizing the concept:

Unfortunately somebody actually checked the effects of such a system with a climate model and found that aside from being wildly impractical, the idea wouldn't really mitigate climate change significantly:

quote:

Can Arctic ‘ice management’ combat climate change?
A new AWI study shows that a radical geo-engineering concept could potentially slow sea-ice retreat, but not global warming
[05. December 2019]
According to a much-debated geo-engineering approach, both sea-ice retreat and global warming could be slowed by using millions of wind-powered pumps, drifting in the sea ice, to promote ice formation during the Arctic winter. AWI researchers have now, for the first time, tested the concept using a complex climate model and published their findings in the journal Earth’s Future. Their verdict is sobering: though the approach could potentially put off ice-free Arctic summers for a few more decades, beyond the Arctic the massive campaign wouldn’t produce any meaningful cooling effect.
because new layers are added to the ice from above.” Initial simulations based on pumps churning seawater onto the ice throughout the Arctic show: year after year, the ice would gain between one and two metres in thickness. According to the climate model, the global warming produced by CO2 wouldn’t put an end to this growth until the end of the century. And what about the effects on the climate? The summertime warming of the Arctic would in fact be lessened by several degrees Celsius, as projected in the original publication. However, pumping the comparatively warm (-1.8 °C) water would also alter the thermal flow in winter, resulting in a substantial warming of the Arctic in winter. This thermal energy would also be transported to the middle latitudes and stored in the ocean there.

In the next step, the researchers conducted more realistic simulations in which the pumps were only deployed where the ice was less than two metres thick. “Two-metre-thick ice already has the best chances of surviving the summertime melting, and by limiting the distribution of pumps in this way, the unnecessary and considerable wintertime warming can also be avoided,” says Lorenzo Zampieri. In this scenario, the undesirable additional warming of the middle latitudes could in fact be avoided, but the scheme would still do little to mitigate climate change. Though the warming of the Arctic in summer would be reduced by roughly one degree Celsius, and the loss of the sea ice could be delayed by roughly 60 years, the increased reflection of sunlight wouldn’t be sufficient to slow climate change outside the Arctic.

It's a little surprising that retaining the sea ice for an additional few decades would have such a minor impact on overall global warming (the article quotes 0.02K). However it's more evidence that geoengineering is a likely dead end in case people think we'll somehow innovate our way out of climate change's consequences.

Rime posted:

Ontario cancelled the last wind farm under construction, will now pay to tear it down too

I'm taking bets on when they start dynamiting the built and functional stations at any cost, just to own the libs, as is the way of regressives.
Should I bet money against Premier Doug Ford's govt doing something stupid and counterproductive? Hmmmm

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ugh.

Is there like, a plan B for methane? Something that we could spray in the air that would catalyze its reaction with oxygen?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

VideoGameVet posted:

Is there any measurement of the rate of increase in methane being released from this area?

Measurements are not sufficiently widespread enough to tell us the extent of methane emissions everywhere, let alone the rate of increase. I think the issue is that these areas are literally millions of square kilometres of increasingly difficult to navigate terrain (because of permafrost collapse, you see) and the monitoring stations that get set up at great expense end up destroyed by collapsing permafrost and unpredictable extreme weather events. Hence, inconclusive.

But the measurements we do have don’t look good!

Edit: oh god there’s more!

tuyop fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 11, 2019

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos

Arglebargle III posted:

Ugh.

Is there like, a plan B for methane? Something that we could spray in the air that would catalyze its reaction with oxygen?

Haha what are you talking about? If there was something we could do to magically remove greenhouse gases from the atmosphere you'd have heard of it by now.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

tuyop posted:

Measurements are not sufficiently widespread enough to tell us the extent of methane emissions everywhere, let alone the rate of increase. I think the issue is that these areas are literally millions of square kilometres of increasingly difficult to navigate terrain (because of permafrost collapse, you see) and the monitoring stations that get set up at great expense end up destroyed by collapsing permafrost and unpredictable extreme weather events. Hence, inconclusive.

But the measurements we do have don’t look good!

Edit: oh god there’s more!

Thank you. The Barrow Graph is particularly worrisome since that appears to show not just an increase but an acceleration in the rate. drat.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

Haha what are you talking about? If there was something we could do to magically remove greenhouse gases from the atmosphere you'd have heard of it by now.

Methane is special because it's not particularly stable in an environment with lots of UV light and free oxygen.

... right?

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Dec 11, 2019

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Methane is special because it's not particularly stable in an environment with lots of UV light and free oxygen.

... right?
Definitely not an expert by I was curious and a cursory googling turned up an article proposing to use iron salt aerosols as a catalyst to react with atmospheric methane. Here's a diagram from the article summarizing the reaction:

Presumably it has the same problem as other aerosol-based geoengineering methods, even if it works the full impacts are likely not well understood and the risk of unintended side-effects are high.

Alternatively here's a post about a Nature comment arguing for research into non-aerosol based atmospheric methane capture:

Nocturtle posted:

Regarding imaginary negative emission systems, a semi-recent Nature comment made the point that capturing atmospheric methane makes more sense than carbon-dioxide. Seriously discussing negative emissions is silly when we're still pumping greenhouse gases into the atmosphere, but I was curious about the required scales for such a direct-air capture system.
TLDR: this is all made up nonsense. However if you're seriously considering direct air capture of greenhouse gases and there aren't fatal technical or scaling problems then methane might be a better target than CO2. The price tag for getting back to pre-industrial methane levels is on the order of $10 trillion dollars.
It's not clear this is even technically possible though, the $10 trillion is an order of magnitude estimate assuming it is.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

VideoGameVet posted:

We do have stations measuring methane in Alaska. They are elevated recently but the data aren't QCed yet and they aren't completely out of line yet.

The study authors of ESAS gas hydrate literature state that there is "exponential uncertainty" on the size of future releases. Exciting!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Ras Het posted:

Yeah I mean I think a big point about climate adaptation has to be that we shouldn't go for the obvious, nihilistic answer. If Finland offers a misleading example, ask what people in Siberia do

They have got furs

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

We do have stations measuring methane in Alaska. They are elevated recently but the data aren't QCed yet and they aren't completely out of line yet.

The study authors of ESAS gas hydrate literature state that there is "exponential uncertainty" on the size of future releases. Exciting!

I'll sleep easier knowing this.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Greta Thunberg Is the Youngest TIME Person of the Year Ever.

https://time.com/5746458/youngest-time-person-of-the-year/

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

VideoGameVet posted:

Hitler and Stalin are trending on swedish twitter as a result of this. We are living in the worst timeline.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

MiddleOne posted:

Hitler and Stalin are trending on swedish twitter as a result of this. We are living in the worst timeline.

i think i haven't posted this in this thread yet so:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FQa4KPQLbs

there's autotranslated subtitles now, too

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

VideoGameVet posted:

Cool. This is going to annoy so many people at the checkout. Wonder if the issue will be pulled from certain areas?

I can hardly wait for Jason Kenney (Premier of Alberta) to add Time-Warner to his Enemies of Alberta list and start an inquiry.

Truga posted:

i think i haven't posted this in this thread yet so:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FQa4KPQLbs

there's autotranslated subtitles now, too

Thread delivers.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Seeing this kind of reaction towards a teenager only means to me that she’s doing a great job.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Tab8715 posted:

Seeing this kind of reaction towards a teenager only means to me that she’s doing a great job.

Yeah, the future is saved. Hooray.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Tab8715 posted:

I think it more means people don’t like being reminded they’re going to die.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

porfiria posted:

I think it more means people don’t like being reminded they’re going to die.

i mean people don't like learning they have stage four cancer, but they need to know that so they can come to terms with their imminent death

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
Watching an older friend dying of brain cancer - I don't think he has enough time left to come to come to terms with his imminent death. I'm pretty sure he will continue to plan to be out and about by spring when he dies in the next few weeks. The power of denial is impressive.

Dog Toothbrush
Oct 21, 2019

by Reene
speaking of methane...

https://twitter.com/nytclimate/status/1205086403564052480

none of our models factor this poo poo in because it's not reported

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Godspeed thread

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Thread tutting people for not just sitting around depressed that they're going to die and instead living life is peak this thread.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I'm living life to it's full potential actually. Probably, in fact, directly because of climate change and imminent death and decay. I gently caress on the daily my man. I'm smoking a cigarette right now. Life's sweet pleasures. I'm drunk as hell and I'm going to smoke a fat weed ASAP that's just how I live my life now

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

People say that I'm a calm person but I think that's just the calm of lmao nothing matters

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

I have an ask.

The Climate Reality Project nixed my idea of using their online materials in "The Climate Trail" game as a reference document that would be available during play (much less a presentation).

So where can I get a concise "climate dictionary" that would be suitable for a mobile app?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I have no alternative to offer, but I'm curious about their reasoning.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Sundae posted:

I have no alternative to offer, but I'm curious about their reasoning.

Just after the Weather Channel interview etc.

Me: "I’m committed to incorporating a climate curriculum into the game and would like to work with you and The Climate Reality Project to make that happen."

Them: "Unfortunately, this not a project we can support at this time."

My Guess? Too dystopian for them, and I get that.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I'd say it's too optimistic if anything, I doubt Canada will still look that idyllic when the US is a hellscape.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

VideoGameVet posted:

I have an ask.

The Climate Reality Project nixed my idea of using their online materials in "The Climate Trail" game as a reference document that would be available during play (much less a presentation).

So where can I get a concise "climate dictionary" that would be suitable for a mobile app?

Try reaching out to the Citizen's Climate Lobby

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

UnknownTarget posted:

Try reaching out to the Citizen's Climate Lobby

I've been to a meeting and even showed the game. Even though they tend to be more conservative, that might be a good lead.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Btw the UK just voted for hardcore climate deniers so uh electoralism sucks

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Welp, I am officially having sadbrains for the first time in my life and it's entirely related to the anxiety and stress over the fact that, you know, the planet is going to be largely uninhabitable well and truly within my 10 year old daughter's life and quite possibly within the remaining time of my own.

I really didn't want to have a kid initially because I vaguely thought that this was a possibility and who would choose to face this? My wife had very strong ideas in the other direction though, and I caved. How bad could it be, right? (It's so bad. If it was just me and my wife at stake that'd be awful but, you know, we've had a shot, we could take what comes as it does.)

Paradoxically, for the very reason that your offspring become the most important thing in your life, I now deeply regret having brought my daughter into the world. I love her helplessly and it's destroying me. The other day she said "When I have kids..." and I had to go away and lose my poo poo entirely. And my wife understands, more or less, the situation... I've explained it as calmly as I can, I've linked many articles that lay it out in strict scientific terms rather than emotive ones - no, nothing is guaranteed but the balance of probability is that We're hosed Soon with the other option being that We're hosed Slightly Later. There is no option for non-hosed status here.

And the world just keeps lurching rightward with absolute derision at the idea that there is a problem on the part of the average person. They don't care because they aren't aware and they aren't aware because it's a bit of an uncomfortable thought so they'd rather not think it, so nothing is being done and nothing will be until the literal panic starts.

I have a counselling session on Monday and it's strongly possible that medication will be needed. Well, at least I might be numb to the horror. Won't fix the overarching situation but not feeling this constant sick dread will be nice, I guess.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Nocturtle posted:

A couple of years ago there were a slew of articles about a geoengineering plan intended to reverse arctic sea ice loss using a massive array of windmills. The idea was to use the windmills to pump sea water to the ice surface in winter to freeze, making the ice thicker and better able to survive the summer months. Here's a cute graphic summarizing the concept:

Unfortunately somebody actually checked the effects of such a system with a climate model and found that aside from being wildly impractical, the idea wouldn't really mitigate climate change significantly:

It's a little surprising that retaining the sea ice for an additional few decades would have such a minor impact on overall global warming (the article quotes 0.02K). However it's more evidence that geoengineering is a likely dead end in case people think we'll somehow innovate our way out of climate change's consequences.

Should I bet money against Premier Doug Ford's govt doing something stupid and counterproductive? Hmmmm

Speaking of pipe dreams, that dumb right wing meme is showing up again comparing Greta Thunberg (dumb girl just bitching) with that kid who was building that machine that was supposed to clean up the oceans or something (young man saving the world). Someone made an effortpost in USPol I believe about how his machine doesn't do poo poo, but I can't find anything. Does anyone have a link to why his idea is basically a non-starter?

Hi, friend. I have a six month old daughter and she is my everything, but I think about this a lot too. I think about the kind of life she will have and if she'll be able to have the amazing experiences I did. I try to spend less time on SA (definitely don't check it first thing in the morning) and try to focus all my energy on creating the best world possible for her, even if that world is just our house right now. Hopefully we can raise her to be a decent human being who is nice and helpful to other people.

Dunno if this helps, I usually just Kramer into threads and post dumb poo poo, but know you're not alone.

zenguitarman fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 13, 2019

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The machine worse than doesn't do poo poo, it chews up phytoplankton.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

SadisTech posted:

And the world just keeps lurching rightward with absolute derision at the idea that there is a problem on the part of the average person. They don't care because they aren't aware and they aren't aware because it's a bit of an uncomfortable thought so they'd rather not think it, so nothing is being done and nothing will be until the literal panic starts.

Well it's a bit more than that because broadcast media and schools stay all the way the gently caress away from speaking on the climate crisis because it's been determined to be a "political issue".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

... right?

In this guys article chain posted on twitter:

Methane is:
Over 100 year period: 20-25x worse than equivalent mass of co2
Over short term: 70x worse than co2 (seen it listed as 86x worse over 20 years)

That is why a methane release of that size will kill us. The release being a nonlinear feedback loop with temp means that if there is a sudden release you'll see more consistent release of methane from the permafrost. Extremely rapid heating and long term outcomes they don't bother covering because once you get that high it doesn't matter anymore.

The global warming can be combated and won, but not if this happens. (Scifi authors occasionally use this as a doomsday weapon used by aliens fighting us lol)

Like this
https://www.livescience.com/59705-oozing-methane-blasts-craters-in-siberian-tundra.html