Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
So this isn't my own project, I do know one of the founders of the company and have tested the game already. The game is called Manacrest and is a pretty drat good TCG coming out in March. They just launched their KS last night and the pricing is really good for what you get.

KS: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/timelapsegames/manacrest

Discord: https://discord.gg/nbKXMr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

A physical TCG is a really hard sell for a KS - pure digital would really be better, s8nce I can’t really imagine why any game score would stock a new TCG sight unseen after, uh, the last 20 years, so where the hell am I supposed to buy new physical boosters or get a local scene for it?

It also seems to draw on some really boring lessons. Static resource base means that there’s no tempo or building to big combos, just who gets the right draws first. No interrupts means that there’s no real strategic response to other players, just seeing what they do. It’s really not fun to have so little interaction on other players’ turns, imo. That said, it looks like cards can trigger effects on other people’s turns, so it’s really more about setting up traps in the board state...

Which is the opposite of simple and easy to learn. Keeping track of changes to board state in the form of ‘If X happens, then Y’ is one of the hardest things to track, especially when, as shown, it’s on attached cards, which are typically stored under the cards they attach to. I suspect the fast play and simplicity are more a factor of familiarity than actually being super simple.

Which isn’t all bad - you want enough meat to keep folks coming back - but imo they’ve looked the wrong places to keep complexity and the wrong places to strip it out.

The lore is dense in a way I personally found impossible to care about in pure text, except to note that ‘the West invents science, spreads it to all other cultures’ is, uh, not a great first impression.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Elblanco posted:

So this isn't my own project, I do know one of the founders of the company and have tested the game already. The game is called Manacrest and is a pretty drat good TCG coming out in March. They just launched their KS last night and the pricing is really good for what you get.

KS: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/timelapsegames/manacrest

Discord: https://discord.gg/nbKXMr

Uhh so did anyone actually look over the KS campaign page? Because there’s a lot of information about the game, but very little about the actual KS itself. Like the various levels have rewards that have no description anywhere. Art on a card! Like my art? Or someone else’s? Or a picture of Art Linkletter? :iiam:

And why is the funding total a stretch goal? :confused: and the stretch goals have one sentence descriptions.

On top of that, it says it’s different from other TGCs but then it reads like a bog standard run down of any generic TGC.

I don’t wish them ill, but the whole thing screams “we don’t know what we are doing, we’re just here to cash in on that sweet sweet Kickstarter money”

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Doctor Zero posted:

Uhh so did anyone actually look over the KS campaign page? Because there’s a lot of information about the game, but very little about the actual KS itself. Like the various levels have rewards that have no description anywhere. Art on a card! Like my art? Or someone else’s? Or a picture of Art Linkletter? :iiam:

And why is the funding total a stretch goal? :confused: and the stretch goals have one sentence descriptions.

On top of that, it says it’s different from other TGCs but then it reads like a bog standard run down of any generic TGC.

I don’t wish them ill, but the whole thing screams “we don’t know what we are doing, we’re just here to cash in on that sweet sweet Kickstarter money”

I'll pass this along. I'll be going to their second live playtest tomorrow and will let them know.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
With a sufficient hook I'm willing to back LCG-style card games on Kickstarter (so far mainly Shadowfist and Doomtown because they've already got a proven track record, but I wouldn't necessarily rule out others). There's no way I'd do a collectible business model at all in the real world at this point, much less on Kickstarter, and I'd rather not do it digitally either if only more than maybe two or three people were willing to try something different.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

If Valve, with one of the most accessible platforms on the PC, can't get a digital TCG going, why do these people think they can? It smacks of greed, but without the built in audience of millions that you can appeal to and still utterly fail at.

Like these people absolutely need a reality check. Like this would even fail as a Kickstarter scam because the product is that unappealing.

Edit:

quote:

Static Mana – Each player begins their turn with 5 Mana. Deck construction changes significantly when the need to farm for mana cards or wait out an expensive play is eliminated.

No Interrupts – Manacrest currently does not feature any cards or effects that can be played on an opponent's turn. Play your cards wisely!

I don't know if there's an equivalent but this sounds like a Magic heartbreaker. I'm not even good at Magic and I know these are not something to be proud of from a mechanical standpoint.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Dec 3, 2019

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Starting a CCG without backing from a major company is just asking for failure.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

I don't know if there's an equivalent but this sounds like a Magic heartbreaker. I'm not even good at Magic and I know these are not something to be proud of from a mechanical standpoint.

Yeah, having a mana curve is essential for game tempo. I can understand not wanting people to get screwed out of it, but then just use Hearthstone's solution.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

rydiafan posted:

Yeah, having a mana curve is essential for game tempo. I can understand not wanting people to get screwed out of it, but then just use Hearthstone's solution.

This is not actually true, and is basically the "Have you tried not playing D&D" of the card game world. For example, Legend of the Five Rings (the FFG one, not the AEG one) has fixed fate (the rough mana equivalent) income in the vast majority of cases, with only a handful of ways to gain additional fate that don't ramp up. Plenty of card games have flat incomes or resource systems that are nothing like magic's mana at all.
This still reeks of M:tG Heartbreaker, because it frames everything in terms of how it's Like Magic But Better. It's like all those D&D heartbreakers bragging about "you can be anything you want! Be something crazy like a wizard who wears armor!!!"

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

L5R provides tempo and variance in other ways, tho, like the Honor bidding and the multiple decks to draw from. Static resource base without added tempo mechanics is going to make maintaining a play tempo very hard.

e: there was a TCG back in the early 00's that had an interesting tempo mechanic - your army was arranged in a sort of pyramid structure, with, say, three cards in the front rank able to support two in the second, which could support one in the third, and stronger cards had to be played further back in the ranks, so you needed a large enough army to have enough ranks for a powerful card to come into play.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 3, 2019

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

So anyways, bring back Netrunner god damnit

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

kinkouin posted:

Have those actually started delivering?

I went through a Game Store for that one and it's been a whole other layer of clusterfuck on top of the normal clusterfuck.

Yeah, somebody at my games club already has their copy.

And then received a second copy for some reason. If they're making mistakes like that then no wonder they're behind on dispatch.

HINT offered a load of Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals, which suggests they've burned through their money and are now trying to get some profit to finish sending things out.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

S.J. posted:

So is WotC just gonna sit on the rights to this forever or is some entrepreneurial spirit going to make like, WebSprinter or something?

Hell you can probably retheme it to be a Dungeon Keeper type thing.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Mors Rattus posted:

e: there was a TCG back in the early 00's that had an interesting tempo mechanic - your army was arranged in a sort of pyramid structure, with, say, three cards in the front rank able to support two in the second, which could support one in the third, and stronger cards had to be played further back in the ranks, so you needed a large enough army to have enough ranks for a powerful card to come into play.

You're thinking of Warlord: Saga of the Storm. And yeah, it was super neat, even did the whole D&D-style d20 attack roll and all. Coincidentally, it also started out as an AEG game.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Mors Rattus posted:

L5R provides tempo and variance in other ways, tho, like the Honor bidding and the multiple decks to draw from. Static resource base without added tempo mechanics is going to make maintaining a play tempo very hard.

I think the original Star Wars CCG had an interesting take on it. It still had a bit of a "land" mechanic with locations providing force to both sides, but the real resource struggle of the game was card draw vs resource costs. At the start of your turn you pulled as many cards from the top of your deck into a pile equal to the number of your force symbols on the board (on both yours and your opponent's locations) plus one, and you can spend cards from that pile to play cards from your hand. Then at the end of the turn, you get to draw as many of those cards as you want -- but any you don't draw stay there, to be used on your opponent's turn or on your next turn. So there's a lot of balance between providing resources to yourself, providing resources to your enemy (via force icons on your locations), having cards to play, and being able to play the cards in your hand. Oh, and the loss condition for the game (baseline, anyway) is to not have any cards remaining in your deck/activation pile/used pile. So you can draw half your deck in a turn if you want and you have the ability to, but unless you've got a lot of used interrupts that go back into the deck after being played, that's making your opponent's job theoretically a lot easier.

It got a bit out of hand later in the game's lifespan, but for most of its life I think the Decipher SWCCG was one of, if not the absolute best, CCG on the market mechanically.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

So is WotC just gonna sit on the rights to this forever or is some entrepreneurial spirit going to make like, WebSprinter or something?

Hell you can probably retheme it to be a Dungeon Keeper type thing.

I assume it will just sit in a vault and be completely and totally wasted.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Mors Rattus posted:

do you mean guardians?

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2132/guardians

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Warlord is the one I was thinking of. Never heard of Guardians.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

S.J. posted:

It's doing fine and is getting a new fan-made expansion.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Well the next live playtest is tonight at my LGS so I'll report back some more info afterward. The devs are also willing to answer questions in discord if you want to ask there as well.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Lemon-Lime posted:

They're even planning a new stand-alone starter set called System Gateway with preconstructed decks made with new cards. I'm really happy that NISEI continued the fan development so professionally. The cards are so similar to the official ones (if you squint), but built from the ground up to not use existing art assets.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

glitchkrieg posted:

And then received a second copy for some reason. If they're making mistakes like that then no wonder they're behind on dispatch.

HINT offered a load of Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals, which suggests they've burned through their money and are now trying to get some profit to finish sending things out.
I suppose it's not entirely foregone, but I did have a pretty good run of not getting burned on Kickstarters until now. :smith:

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

glitchkrieg posted:

Ugh. What a shame. Sounds like they're pulling a classic KS move at this point.

While I would have loved to see the light of day with that one, not really holding my breath. I've got way too many coming in to really say I can give it my full attention.

That being said - I'm re-offering my services for those wanting to piggy back on Awaken Realms games, I just got my Nemesis stuff, but you can still get in for Dawnfall: The Edge, Etherfields, Aeon Trespass (since its using the same PM system), and a few other games.

I've helped goons in the past in getting in on some stuff, and I dont make a cent off it. Feel free to PM, I'll dredge up my list of games if there is interest.

EDIT: I'm bad, cant get in on Dawnfall.

kinkouin fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 4, 2019

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

kinkouin posted:

That being said - I'm re-offering my services for those wanting to piggy back on Awaken Realms games, I just got my Nemesis stuff, but you can still get in for Dawnfall: The Edge, Etherfields, Aeon Trespass (since its using the same PM system), and a few other games.

I've helped goons in the past in getting in on some stuff, and I dont make a cent off it. Feel free to PM, I'll dredge up my list of games if there is interest.

Dawnfall was really expensive, no? (at least for a gameplay-complete pledge, and I seem to recall there didn't seem to be much expectation of retail availability if any). Having gotten Tainted Grail and backed Etherfields, I'm sort of wishing I'd gotten in on it, but also I still am not prepared to either spend $600 or forever skip content for a game I own, so...

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

malkav11 posted:

Dawnfall was really expensive, no? (at least for a gameplay-complete pledge, and I seem to recall there didn't seem to be much expectation of retail availability if any). Having gotten Tainted Grail and backed Etherfields, I'm sort of wishing I'd gotten in on it, but also I still am not prepared to either spend $600 or forever skip content for a game I own, so...

Fair enough. I double checked right now and Dawnfall is closed. My mistake for dangling that carrot!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Lemon-Lime posted:

I mean I'm really happy for everyone that can keep playing it but I wouldn't exactly call the situation fine :v:

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

Annie, Owner of Bad Squiddo Games. No longer a Garbage Dick. Buy my things, they're great!
Unlocked more stuff!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/badsquiddogames/women-of-ww2-british-home-front-28mm-miniatures

Warthur
May 2, 2004

HiriseSoftware posted:

Is there a Car Wars 6th Edition thread yet? The project's already been funded 2 hours in: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sjgames/car-wars-sixth-edition-by-steve-jackson-games

I didn't really play the original game growing up, but I always loved the setting and bought a lot of the supplements. My first experience with Car Wars were the TSR gamebooks.

Are SJG still palling around with Frog God/Bill Webb?

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Flying Circus Beta this weekend

There's tons of new art, too!

Like this cool-looking Believer partisan girl ready to fight off fascists and anti-union legbreakers while being really badass and organizing the workplace and also there's a religious guy I guess?

Or this piece of a bar brawl!

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

I'm rather fond of the two Workers and their adorable kidlet.

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

Bieeanshee posted:

I'm rather fond of the two Workers and their adorable kidlet.

the artist needs a couple years more improvement

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

the only genius in the whole fucking business

Proud Rat Mom posted:

Well, game's already late, so you'll have to put up with it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Proud Rat Mom posted:

kind of a lovely thing to say but okay

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

My Alhambra Gold Edition is finally arriving tomorrow, only 9 months late!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

OgreNoah posted:

My Alhambra Gold Edition is finally arriving tomorrow, only 9 months late!

be sure to inspect your components. I got lucky with my megabox, but lots of people have been missing punch sheets or stickers.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Whelp, looks like my first Kickstarter project to fail has arrived. Terrain Essentials posted that the writers are separating, the book's not finished and I very much doubt it will as I don't think they are now not talking to each other.

He said he'll give a refund.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Comstar posted:

Whelp, looks like my first Kickstarter project to fail has arrived. Terrain Essentials posted that the writers are separating, the book's not finished and I very much doubt it will as I don't think they are now not talking to each other.

He said he'll give a refund.
That's... not the impression that I'm getting from the update? It says that one of the writers is separating from his wife who isn't one of the co-authors but the other writer and he are still close and they still intend to work towards it, and I can't see where it says anything about refunds.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Warthur posted:

That's... not the impression that I'm getting from the update? It says that one of the writers is separating from his wife who isn't one of the co-authors but the other writer and he are still close and they still intend to work towards it, and I can't see where it says anything about refunds.

Yeah this will be fine. Splitting up with your wife of 20 years is one of the more reasonable reasons for a delay I have seen in a while.

Ogdred Weary
Jul 1, 2007

A is for Amy who fell down the stairs
After years of waiting, my Living Planet Deluxe Edition finally arrived! I can't wait to see what Christophe Boelinger cooked up this time. Whatever it is, it won't be boring, that's not his style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Ogdred Weary posted:

After years of waiting, my Living Planet Deluxe Edition finally arrived! I can't wait to see what Christophe Boelinger cooked up this time. Whatever it is, it won't be boring, that's not his style.

Oh poo poo where are you? I’m waiting on my copy too.