Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

It sure has meaning when you're playing with another player and you're both setting up tracks on opposite sides of the base and then whoops they're going in opposite directions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
I just checked. Yep, looks like this is doable as long as you keep in mind that the signals go on the right of the track in the direction of travel of the train.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Anytime you have two tracks next to each other running in opposite directions, it's either a right-hand or a left-hand system. Keeping the same system throughout your entire base makes things easier to build because you don't have to think about which side is which direction in this particular area, you just build it exactly the same as every other bit of track.

Calling it "meaningless" is on par with calling a bus "meaningless" because gosh, it's actually just a bunch of individual belts.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

You know, I'm so glad you brought this up.

Regardless of whether your bus is a left hand bus or a right hand bus, you always want to go in the direction of the arrows on the belts.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
The correct manner of drive is interweaved

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Half-wit posted:

You know, I'm so glad you brought this up.

Regardless of whether your bus is a left hand bus or a right hand bus, you always want to go in the direction of the arrows on the belts.

:spergin: Actually, since Inserters pull from the nearest side of the belt, this is relevant because :downs:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Half-wit posted:

I just hate all the talk that references RHD and LHD and never clearly identifies that regardless of where you want to place the signals, the signal goes on the RIGHT HAND SIDE of the track in the direction of the train's travel.

I think it's all gone over your head

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Don't build your trains like this.

E: right hand drive and left hand drive are meaningless. Cars always go forwards.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Dec 11, 2019

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Build your trains however you want.

Behold a technically correct intersection.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Half-wit posted:

Build your trains however you want.

Behold a technically correct intersection.

H-H-H-HERESY!!!!

But seriously, now I'm wondering how the throughput of that intersection compares to a 'normal' one with the trains on opposite sides. I know it's lower, but how much lower?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The entire central area is a single block, so you can't even have two trains going through it in the same direction on parallel tracks without one of them stopping and waiting.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Throughput....it's...it's not good, friend. :negative:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
You can increase throughput by minimizing conflict points. You can minimize conflict points by choosing to group all rails with the same direction of travel together. When you group rails with the same direction of travel together, you have to choose between left hand drive and right hand drive.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

Bhodi posted:

LTN Quick how-to.
Thanks for making this. It's a shame this wasn't about a month earlier or it'd have saved me a good hour or two of fiddling and digging through forum posts about the author's otherwise unstated intentions or lengthy youtube videos. I get that people are 'visual learners' or whatever but a 45 minute video for one A4 page of information is a loving crime, as is leaving really sparse documentation for a pretty complex and involved system.

It's a pet hate of mine in software (particularly some open source projects) where you can't even tell what the project IS or DOES because the documentation assumes you already know about what you're getting. I honest to god thought at first that the 'rail layer' in Fully Autmated Rail Layer meant 'a stratum of automated logic relating to rails' rather than 'this places rails automatically' because everything i could find about it only tells you how to get started.

Anyway rant over, i've swerved into trying some transport tycoon style games because factorio rails gave me a real infrastructure-building itch and it's kind of amazing how many recent games there are that try to pick up where transport tycoon left off. Transport Fever 2's supposed to be released today (there's an SA thread about 1) so that could be a pretty good time for me to jump in

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Transport fever and Factorio are the two games I keep bouncing between to get my train game fix.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
The devs make the best mods
Seriously, this is insane
Reuploaded since I can't figure out how to embed a streamable here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4ZXeyp9nSo

quote:

These guys mine for you, based from their mining depot.

Demonstration video: https://streamable.com/ymk8h

You can also mine things like Uranium, by inputting the required fluid into the back of the depot.
The mining depot has a small caution floor mat in front of where the drones spawn. If you block it, a warning will show, and drones won't be able to spawn.

The mining area is shown when hovering over a depot, it is a 80x80 area in front of the depot.

The mining drones and mining depot is unlocked from the start of the game (so you can use it instead of mining drills), and they don't require any power.

There are 2 technologies related to the mining drones:
- Mining drone speed: Increases walking speed, mining speed, and carry capacity.
- Mining drone productivity: Gives a chance to produce extra products when mining.

If you change the recipe or mine the depot, all the 'connected' drones will die. Painfully. So lets try to avoid that.

Each depot can hold 100 drones, and more under some circumstances. Drones will automatically be deployed when the resources in the depot become low.

The mod should detect all modded resources, and work correctly with them.

As far as performance goes, obviously they will not be as good as mining drills for super mega bases, due to the units and the script update. With a running save with over 2,300 active mining drones, the script update was only about 0.4ms. So you can probably have upwards of 10,000 mining drones without any problem. And of course, performance will be better in 0.18.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Oddly enough the idea isn't new at all.

https://mods.factorio.com/mods/judos/robotMiningSite

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Is it worth trying to retrofit an existing base layout into something that can scale up to a tiled-type megabase or just start from scratch having the layout in mind?

I'm at the point on my current play though where I'm doing the whole have factories outside of the main bus that send the mats via train to the bus but the train layout is getting very spaghetti. I should convert everything over to the LTN mod but that might make things worse in the short term until I can get it all set.

Also what should be the next step in playing. Right now I'm playing essentially a vanilla run with some mods like Factorissimo but I'd like a bit more of a challenge without going totally crazy.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Your existing factory works and will continue to work, don't touch it, just divert some of its resources into making more machines for the next bigger base. One or two assemblers making rails, assembers, mining drills, pipes, etc all going into chests that will eventually fill up.

Then you'll have a stockpile of entities whenever you need them to expand.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

diremonk posted:

Is it worth trying to retrofit an existing base layout into something that can scale up to a tiled-type megabase or just start from scratch having the layout in mind?

I'm at the point on my current play though where I'm doing the whole have factories outside of the main bus that send the mats via train to the bus but the train layout is getting very spaghetti. I should convert everything over to the LTN mod but that might make things worse in the short term until I can get it all set.

Also what should be the next step in playing. Right now I'm playing essentially a vanilla run with some mods like Factorissimo but I'd like a bit more of a challenge without going totally crazy.

Pick a spot to start your new grid and lay it out, using existing systems outside the grid to supply its initial growth.

Don’t tear out a supply chain until it is replicated and running cheerily on the grid. You could also download LTN and use it only on the grid, using traditional train routes to deliver goods to a handoff area where they are routed into the appropriate depots.

Once your handoff is complete, all the torn-out equipment can be offloaded for sorting as the final handoff, then you can bulldoze that functionality too.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

One thing you can do if you're on top of biters and willing to put in the time is make a ton of stuff to bootstrap a new base in a huge train and build a huge train line in any one single direction.

It seems unnecessary to start over and grind through all of the research again, but expanding from your existing base into a true megabase is going to leave you eternally chasing resource patches and breaking down/setting up miners - especially because most of your inner ring has been depleted already.

In my current playthrough we just got done with this stage and are setting up a new base/defense up top and it's great. Just inside our new "starter area" there's a few hundred million of each resource. Move with a full solar or nuclear setup and when you get to the new base until you start smelting/assembling in machines you don't make any pollution. Nukes and a great combat suit are necessary to fight the biters and build the initial train, but your main base pollution cloud shrinks if you shut it down so that helps too.

We left Kovarex + Power + Defenses with some repair packs in the old base, and figured it'd eventually fall to the biters, but the pollution got mostly inside the fences so it may hold forever, or at least until one of us dies & respawns down there to do some maintenance :v: Even without LTN you can rig it up to send things back & forth with logistics chests too if you have proper radar coverage.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Dec 12, 2019

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Dr. Stab posted:

You can increase throughput by minimizing conflict points. You can minimize conflict points by choosing to group all rails with the same direction of travel together. When you group rails with the same direction of travel together, you have to choose between left hand drive and right hand drive.

Simple solution - never have any intersections.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Dirk the Average posted:

Simple solution - never have any intersections.

So instead of intersections, you just put train stops instead with cargo transferral inserters/belts? Could be interesting.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Just one continuous fractal curve for your rails.

On the subject of moving bases, I always thought it would be interesting to have a mod/scenario where you had to keep moving, perhaps as some kind of ribbon world where chunks fall off one edge of the map periodically, requiring you to continuously have to move everything in the other direction.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Roflex posted:

Just one continuous fractal curve for your rails.

On the subject of moving bases, I always thought it would be interesting to have a mod/scenario where you had to keep moving, perhaps as some kind of ribbon world where chunks fall off one edge of the map periodically, requiring you to continuously have to move everything in the other direction.

Reminds me of Outpost 2, an ancient RTS where in addition to everything else try to kill you there's a grey-goo style microbe that eats metal that follows your colony through the campaign

Woop, it caught up, time to move!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Bhodi posted:

LTN Quick how-to.

I just set up a quick babbies first test track on my fledgling base, plopped down the LTN depot, a provider station at a mining site, and a requester by my base, set the stuff like you said... and it's loving magic. This changes everything... god drat..

Thanks again for your awesome post that got me to try this out again.

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
I don't think I could even play without LTN, squeak through, and long reach any more.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

I don't think I could even play without LTN, squeak through, and long reach any more.

That reminds me I need to install long reach. My last game was Krastorio which had it built in, and I'm really missing it so far on this game.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

God drat, Uranium Ammo takes a lot of uranium. I guess i need a few more outposts.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Roflex posted:

Have you tried Warptorio?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Phactorio Phriday Phacts is out. It's about getting hurt, dying, and Steam Reviews.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

But yeah, that Mining Drones mod is pretty rad. :toot:

ht tps://i.imgur.com/ezxdlQT.mp4
e:(No forums, I don't want to auto-embed a huge video.)

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

SubNat posted:

You gotta make it so we can have a Hand of Nod

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

kidkissinger posted:

You gotta make it so we can have a Hand of Nod

What would it make/build?
But yeah, I found some other people who were also working towards a tiberium mod, so I just squatted in and started helping them.

There's some interest into making it a fullon CnC thing, but baby steps, tiberium alone is pretty complex to mod in in a way that's fun.
(And not just a cheap, cheat-like print-resources-for-free thing.)

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

One of the developers is... developing the game live on twitch :eyepop: https://www.twitch.tv/rseding91

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Foehammer posted:

Have you tried Warptorio?
Seconding Warptorio. It's a really fun mod. The early game can be a bit rough, and it's a mod that really benefits from being played in multiplayer because things can get really hectic.

Also, a mod like Warehousing is really helpful because on each planet you'll want to extract as much resources as fast as possible. Occasionally you land on planets where there are no resources or biters make it impossible to get to them, so on the planets where you can mine you want to build a big buffer and not be bottlenecked by your smelting capacity.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

SubNat posted:

Oh hells yes

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
It honestly annoys me way more than it should that 2xN is the best nuclear layout, instead of getting to do cool square designs.

I'm sure there's a mod for it.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I started a Krastorio/LTN game. First time doing a non-vanilla game, so things are progressing normally until I get to the point where I need Steel Plates. Then poo poo started going sideways because I needed to start mining that sand patch I was ignoring to make quartz -> silicone.

Should I set up a full smelter line and put that poo poo on a bus? About what time should I abandon the bus for cells?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mortal
Oct 12, 2012

Canuckistan posted:

I started a Krastorio/LTN game. First time doing a non-vanilla game, so things are progressing normally until I get to the point where I need Steel Plates. Then poo poo started going sideways because I needed to start mining that sand patch I was ignoring to make quartz -> silicone.

Should I set up a full smelter line and put that poo poo on a bus? About what time should I abandon the bus for cells?

I launched a rocket still mostly using a (rather wide) bus. The things I had being delivered by LTN, other than raw resources, were copper plates, iron plates, quartz, silicon and glass.

Some of the advanced electronic stuff was delivered around the factory solely by logistic bots (e.g. menarite processors) and some of the electronic components that you need a million of (pcb, processors, ram) had the bus supplemented with logistic bots as well.