Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

That trailer was perfect. Absolutely perfect.

Judging a film on it's trailer is incredibly dumb for numerous reasons (movie's not finished, FX not finished, may use footage not in the movie, created by an outside company not connected with the movie at all) but I'm very excited. I'm very pleased. I want you to get right down there, check it out, and get back to me. Get right back to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
The premise has me thinking about Extreme Ghostbuster, but a bit younger and a few more decades added on.

My question is will this new generation follow in the footsteps of their predecessors in starting up an independent business, with massive debt and open disdain for government regulation?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Gnome de plume posted:

My question is will this new generation follow in the footsteps of their predecessors in starting up an independent business, with massive debt and open disdain for government regulation?

They are going to start a ghost club at school, and the principal will be none too happy about it!

Real prediction: one of the kids is going to break out of detention to fight ghosts.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

For what's a first trailer for the movie, it's perfectly fine. Just enough to perk the interest and show off more in the next trailer to really get people revved for it. I'd say this one had the added need to reassure that it wasn't going to be the 'throw a bunch of stuff at the wall see what sticks' that the 2016 film's trailers were.

I'm pretty curious to see what shows up in the next trailer to come.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Egon has a daughter with a student / moodslime/Janine shortly after GB2. (1990?)

Janine was banging Lewis by GB2.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gnome de plume posted:

The premise has me thinking about Extreme Ghostbuster, but a bit younger and a few more decades added on.

Extreme Ghostbusters was actually pretty good.

They even use the same device from the start of that show where ghosts seemingly disappeared after the events of the original series/movie(s) and the Ghostbusters broke up and moved on, until a plot device comes along that breaks open the supernatural again.

Also the kids have the true Ghostbuster spirit of being irresponsible with incredibly dangerous technology.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
As the online GB community seems to be making much of the fact it is the Ecto 1 we see amd not the Ecto 1A I'm hoping that the kids driving the Ecto 1 goes viral online and Ray sees it, prompting the original cast to roll up in a pristine Ecto 1A Ray has been polishing every day since GB2.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Underage girl:
[Drake pointing and smiling]

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Bacon Terrorist posted:

As the online GB community seems to be making much of the fact it is the Ecto 1 we see amd not the Ecto 1A I'm hoping that the kids driving the Ecto 1 goes viral online and Ray sees it, prompting the original cast to roll up in a pristine Ecto 1A Ray has been polishing every day since GB2.

That’d be funny

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ray would definitely get along great with the kids.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

banned from Starbucks posted:

Janine was banging Lewis by GB2.

Why settle for a Jr Ghostbuster/ part time lawyer when you can have a man that collects molds spores and fungus?

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if the old GB dont save the kids at one point then whats the loving point. i want to see 100 year olds bill murray doing sappy things

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

DoctorGonzo posted:

if the old GB dont save the kids at one point then whats the loving point. i want to see 100 year olds bill murray doing sappy things

He can be sitting in a chair for his entire cameo again like the last one.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I have to say I like the idea of Venkman being the kids’ father. Just lean into the idea of what a dirtbag he is.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
The part in the trailer when they're like "Who are you?" and they cut to Spengler's dusty old suit is some weapons-grade nostalgia, I gotta say. It's a well put together little trailer, but we'll see about the movie itself. Cautiously optimistic we might get to watch an actual full story and not just a long setup for a sequel that'll never be.

Very cautiously.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Wait is the car in GB2 supposed to be a completely new car instead of the old one with more poo poo added on? Is that what fans believe?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I wish they would just let ghostbusters die already

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I wish they would just let ghostbusters die already

Well, Egon did

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I gotta assume that whatever company made the The Force Awakens trailer also made this one. I'd have to go through for a full comparison but it seems to hit a lot of the same beats, especially the music and quick shots of the Ecto-1 being driven.

I'm a sucker anyway so I'm excited.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

sean10mm posted:

Trying to imagine a Dutch version of "Kids on bikes find an X" movie.

Directed by Paul Verhoeven. :getin:

He made this movie, it’s called Spetters.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Since the gunner’s seat is in the movie, they should just go all out and have Ecto-2 in there too.

8one6
May 20, 2012

ruddiger posted:

Since the gunner’s seat is in the movie, they should just go all out and have Ecto-2 in there too.

Don't spoil Ray's intro scene.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

8one6 posted:

Don't spoil Ray's intro scene.

That's the helicopter, right?

Or is it the motorbike?

8one6
May 20, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

That's the helicopter, right?

Or is it the motorbike?

It's the helicopter.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The helicopter is Ecto-3!

is Winston likely to return, and are they likely to actually give him more to do? The comics I recall expanded on his backstory as a former soldier more and being the most practically minded and spiritual of the Ghostbusters.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

is Winston likely to return, and are they likely to actually give him more to do? The comics I recall expanded on his backstory as a former soldier more and being the most practically minded and spiritual of the Ghostbusters.

I think everyone but Moranis is confirmed but no one has any idea what the original cast will be doing.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Peter and Ray show up at the 1/2 mark for intros and exposition, and then Winston arrives just before the climax when he says something religious.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IMDb credits Ernie Hudson as “Dr. Winston Zeddmore.”

8one6
May 20, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Wait, isn't the Ecto-3 the boat they never used?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

8one6 posted:

Ecto-3 was the little motorized unicycle with a sidecar that was in like two episodes of the cartoon, Ecto-2 was the chopper that was also a really neat toy and showed up a bunch.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

There's a gyro copter, and either a motorbike or dune buggy type of thing.

Also, Winston was, officially, an ex-Marine that specialized in demolitions.

That should definitely have played more of a part in either film.

:smith:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

That should definitely have played more of a part in either film.

Nah. Winston is my favorite character in the original film because he's just a skilled laborer who answered a want ad. While the other 3 (even Venkman) devoted part of their lives to paranormal study, Winston's there dealing with this poo poo just as well.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Nah. Winston is my favorite character in the original film because he's just a skilled laborer who answered a want ad. While the other 3 (even Venkman) devoted part of their lives to paranormal study, Winston's there dealing with this poo poo just as well.

I'm just saying that it would've been nice for literally any of his expertise to even be mentioned. Otherwise, why didn't they have a ton of people applying who would've been good enough for the job? The movie makes it seem like just anyone could walk up and ask for a job. Winston having specialties meant that those skills might've been what put him above others who would have wanted the job.

Anyway, it led to a good scene between him and Janine, plus he was the role of the audience in the film, so I get it.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
He also might have a degree in History (particularly Egyptology), and be in a loving, committed relationship. Winston, arguably, has more poo poo going on than the rest of the GB combined. But all of the other prospects auditioning is an issue (or mini-series) unto itself so...

The Ecto-2 was an autogyro (in the RGB cartoon) and a modified RV (in the IDW comics). The Ecto-3 was a) some weird unicycle thing that ejected from the Ecto-1, b) a... time-jet... (since re-branded the Ecto-4) and c) a go-kart toy somehow totally separate from the Ecto-Junior that the Junior Ghostbusters drive in RGB.

8one6 posted:

That's the Ecto-8 if it's still the one from the game that got them to Shandor Island.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

I'm just saying that it would've been nice for literally any of his expertise to even be mentioned. Otherwise, why didn't they have a ton of people applying who would've been good enough for the job? The movie makes it seem like just anyone could walk up and ask for a job. Winston having specialties meant that those skills might've been what put him above others who would have wanted the job.

Anyway, it led to a good scene between him and Janine, plus he was the role of the audience in the film, so I get it.

That's the point though, he's not specifically qualified for the job in any way, and nobody even wants the job because it's a joke, nobody thinks ghosts are real. He's an everyman who stumbles into this huge apocalyptic scenario, that's his character.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Being an ex marine could mean like he did a four year stint, it doesn't invalidate his everyman status.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

That's the point though, he's not specifically qualified for the job in any way, and nobody even wants the job because it's a joke, nobody thinks ghosts are real. He's an everyman who stumbles into this huge apocalyptic scenario, that's his character.

He's also a character who was meant to appear on page 10 of the script, but then had his intro pushed back to page 60.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

text me a vag pic posted:

He's also a character who was meant to appear on page 10 of the script, but then had his intro pushed back to page 60.

Yeah but he's brought in at the right time for the story. Immediately after the montage of business blowing up.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Yeah but he's brought in at the right time for the story. Immediately after the montage of business blowing up.

I have to agree. While it would have been nice for him to be hired shortly into the movie, it just feels more right for them to need to bring on someone new after business picks up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The one thing that annoyed me as a kid, was getting a children’s storybook version of the movie and it had a line in it of them hiring Winston as ‘an assistant’. :argh: