Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I appreciated the tomatoes growing from trees, presumably as a reference to the debate about what the Fruit of Knowledge of Good and Evil "really" was. They showed the tomato trees in the first ep and then made sure to frame them in the same shot as crucified Veidt getting them smushed in his face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

OK Mooner

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mike the TV posted:

Except that when stricken by amnesia, he still has all of his powers, he just doesn't know that he has them. So someone could eat the drat egg and be normal until a traumatic event.

Let's take this a step further: why does Veidt's amnesia device look like the earrings Jon had made for Janey Slater and later gave to Laurie?

Earrings come in pairs.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

misguided rage posted:

Because he "was always going to do that", and this is a meaningful distinction because _____________

Why was he going into the bar if not to meet Angela? He made a choice to do that specifically because of what he experienced in the future. He saw something occur and changed his behavior because of that, how could he not do the same for the cannon or whatever it was.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

he was always in that bar, he was always in love with angela. he never knew why because of the veidt-device... and I'm not sure he knows what's on the other side of that cannon.

curiousity is the one thing a god lacks. those are the two last things in the universe he doesn't know.

HppyCmpr
May 8, 2011

Bread Set Jettison posted:

post credit scene lube man, sitting on his throne of astroglide bottles begins to glow blue while letters rearrange themselves from LUBE MAN to BLUE MAN

:golfclap:

This is sticking the landing.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Has anyone ever managed to read all the way through Dan’s article about owls when rereading the book? I never have and always forget that it exists.

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

Your mommy kills animals! I bet you didn't know that.
I have, sure. Couldn't tell ya anything about it off the top of my head though.
Helpful, I know.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
I don’t remember specifics but know this: Dan is a nerd.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
This Thread: wow this episode really dropped the ball i thought this show was about race relations and had something important to say

Also This Thread: what do you mean there was a black jesus!?!?!?!

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009

socialsecurity posted:

This is why I don't like the arguments against him stopping the cannon because he "can't change his behavior based on what he is experiencing in the future" because the episode starts with him going into a bar to meet Angela because he knew they would date.

I agree that complaining about the cannon is stupid but reading your sentence made me realize just now that HE DOES change his behavior based on what he is experiencing in the future when he asks HJ about Judd

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I guess what it comes down to is I would liked the moment a lot better if he had been shot immediately after saying "Sorry, no." instead of allowing for a dramatic pause so the audience and the characters could realize what was about to happen.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

In the Watchmenverse, this song is about the Squid Monster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQfjiwv41kc

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Im not understanding whats so unbelievable about Angela starting to date Manhattan when Ive known some real knobs whove dated far more stable women.

And yes, I am one of those knobs.

King Of Coons
May 5, 2006

upgunned shitpost posted:

all the people getting dunked on by zaphod should really re-think their posting careers

:lol:

King Of Coons
May 5, 2006

if stealing a dead guy from the morgue and engaging in twenty years of identity theft ain't love, I'm not sure what is. sister night loved the blue man first.

I am going to be very upset if I have to point out that yes, they had to disappear the body as well

Hmm you might be on to something. Maybe Angela’s moment was when Jon showed up with a device to neuter his god like abilities just so he could be with her?

On the other hand it wasn’t explicitly stated two to three times so that’s probably not it. loving mystery box bullshit!

They probably just laid lowed until ashes over Saigon

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

This Thread: wow this episode really dropped the ball i thought this show was about race relations and had something important to say

I love Black Jesus. But, now that a second actor from the show has died, I'm pretty sure we won't get another season.

It's just as well, I guess. This last season had a bunch of on-screen miracle stuff, and I didn't care for that.

HppyCmpr
May 8, 2011

Some of the posters that didn't notice the clear Jesus link were the ones saying the episode was good. I don't really know how they missed it though, sort of slapped you in the face with the "walking on water" bit.

all the people getting dunked on by zaphod should really re-think their posting careers

You really think he dunked on them? :agesilaus:

HppyCmpr fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 11, 2019

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Ok so Dr. Manhattan said it was "important for later" that he be walking on water, right?

Maybe some time fuckery will result in him being actually literally Jesus, and a previously unknown part of the story of Christ is playing out in front of us?

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009

Martman posted:

Ok so Dr. Manhattan said it was "important for later" that he be walking on water, right?

Maybe some time fuckery will result in him being actually literally Jesus, and a previously unknown part of the story of Christ is playing out in front of us?

Well just a little bit after he says that, he flashbacks to the egg he made. This is important because he says someone could "inherit his powers" if they consumed something that contains his atomic attributes. Right after that, Angela makes a joke like: "So you're saying I could eat your egg and start walking on water?"

A lot of people are taking that to mean that Angela will eat a magic waffle and thereby attain Dr. M powers. I personally think that the "inheritance" language implies that Topher will eat the waffle and that Angela will see him walk on water (or, like, magically save himself from drowning), and she'll realize he is now carrying on Dr. Manhattan's "legacy" (Trieu's phrasing, when she visited the egg farm in Ep 4). Plus, it's been shown already that the kids love waffles (after the Judd Death talk).

And then in the end, Topher will show us that the future isn't actually pre-destined, he can actually do what he wants to make mankind better (and Jon Ostermann was ultimately just a lovely centrist)

EDIT: I'll say that my main issue with my own theory is that Jon says he would never "pass on his powers without someone's consent," so I wonder if the magic waffle keeps the powers dormant until a life-threatening situation or if he somehow clearly signals that the waffle is magic.

Jay-V fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 11, 2019

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
I wonder if we'll hear about that meteor that hit that bit of farmland that Lady Trieu had just bought a few moments prior to when it landed?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

It would be pretty lame if Topher turned out to be the key to this whole thing after barely being in the show at all so far.

tarlibone posted:

I wonder if we'll hear about that meteor that hit that bit of farmland that Lady Trieu had just bought a few moments prior to when it landed?

That was Veidt arriving on the Europa Express.

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009

tarlibone posted:

Almost definitely. Veidt told Dr. M that it was a "little elephant" who told him that Dr. M was on Europa, meaning that Trieu is 99% likely to be the person he was trying to communicate with via the message for the satellite ("Save Me D" -- probably "Daughter").

Think we know by now that Veidt's storyline happens before the rest of the plot, so the meteor was probably Veidt; she knew it would land on the farm because she's the one who planned the rescue mission.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!
Stolen from Reddit, hail lube man

https://imgur.com/6Ffrwx9

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
Question, only Dr. M knew that Veidt was on Europa before Veidt's SOS, but presumably (maybe there's proof otherwise) the squidfalls continued for 10 years since 2009 when Manhattan sent him away with basically 0 warning. Does this imply Dr. M was continuing to do the squidfall somehow (even tho he forgot his powers), or maybe it was just Adrian's week to throw some squids into a portal, next week it'll be someone else in the gov't??

Jay-V fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Dec 11, 2019

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Jay-V posted:

Question, only Dr. M knew that Veidt was on Europa before Veidt's SOS, but presumably (maybe there's proof otherwise) the squidfalls continued for 10 years since 2009 when Manhattan sent him away with basically 0 warning. Does this imply Dr. M was continuing to do the squidfall somehow (even tho he forgot his powers), or maybe it was just Adrian's week to throw some squids into a portal, next week it'll be someone else in the gov't??

Veidt saying "a little elephant told me" suggests he's already in contact with Trieu in 2009, which mean she's probably aware of the fabricated attacks, I would say it's pretty likely that she took over the operation.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Jay-V posted:

Well just a little bit after he says that, he flashbacks to the egg he made. This is important because he says someone could "inherit his powers" if they consumed something that contains his atomic attributes. Right after that, Angela makes a joke like: "So you're saying I could eat your egg and start walking on water?"

A lot of people are taking that to mean that Angela will eat a magic waffle and thereby attain Dr. M powers. I personally think that the "inheritance" language implies that Topher will eat the waffle and that Angela will see him walk on water (or, like, magically save himself from drowning), and she'll realize he is now carrying on Dr. Manhattan's "legacy" (Trieu's phrasing, when she visited the egg farm in Ep 4). Plus, it's been shown already that the kids love waffles (after the Judd Death talk).

And then in the end, Topher will show us that the future isn't actually pre-destined, he can actually do what he wants to make mankind better (and Jon Ostermann was ultimately just a lovely centrist)

EDIT: I'll say that my main issue with my own theory is that Jon says he would never "pass on his powers without someone's consent," so I wonder if the magic waffle keeps the powers dormant until a life-threatening situation or if he somehow clearly signals that the waffle is magic.

The first time we see Angela she's cracking eggs into a bowl and separating them.

Probably symbolic of someone (either her or Topher) inheriting some of Manhattan's abilities without the complete alienation from mankind.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jay-V posted:

Again, the show makes a real big deal about how Jon doesn't have his manhattan powers ONLY because he forgets he has them, BUT he also can use them in a moment of self-defense instinct. Cal uses Manhattan powers once on the 7K even though he doesn't know he's Manhattan.

Angela is gonna be about to die and then realize she's already manhattan. Its not that she eats the waffle, she ate the waffle 30 years ago.

HppyCmpr
May 8, 2011
Maybe the waffle is just a metaphor for his sperm?

:tinfoil:

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
"Heaven isn't enough, because heaven doesn't need me."

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

Your mommy kills animals! I bet you didn't know that.
Y'all are gonna be real disappointed when there's no Silver Squirter in the finale.
Also, not many actors can muster an exasperated "motherfucker" quite like Regina King, eh?

King Of Coons
May 5, 2006
Gallant realizes he has missed an important part of the show and asks his friends for clarification.

Tender Bender posted:

Anyway the main reason I'm dissatisfied with Manhattan isn't because of plot holes it's because I don't really see how he ties into the themes of America's repeated exploitation and erasure of non-white labor and suffering, and generational trauma. I'm interested in someone explaining it to me though because with the whole omnipotence and omniscience thing I'm sure it does connect and I'm missing something obvious.

Goofus gets irrationally mad at the show because he is Bad at watching TV.

mcbexx posted:

Lol, they showed a 7C squad coming for him 3 episodes ago (and in the "previously on ..." this episode) without getting back to that in any way.

It's a 50/50 wether he's dead or will swoop in at the 11th hour to save the day somehow I guess? Do we even care at this point?

And this whole deterministic "we can't change the outcome" pisses me off everytime that card is pulled, especially when you have an all-knowing entity involved.

Manhattan tells Angela about the tachyon cannon and neither of them finds the time to dump a mag into or wave a hand at this presumably delicately calibrated contraption to render it useless in the blink of an eye. Neither of them even tries. So dumb.
also to the people who keep complaining about the show beating us over the head, do you just not read the multitude of posts like this? you should :kiss:

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Nobody "hate watches". It's fine and fun to point out the Weaknesses of a show in addition to its Strengths. Unless you get royalties based on the rotten tomato score I'd say just don't get too pissy when someone gives your show a 9.0 instead of a 10!

Fly Ricky posted:

I respectfully disagree. Dad jokes are the only thing keeping me entertained with this series, and I've invested too much time to not see the impenetrable references in the finale.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

This encapsulates exactly how I feel. I am just perplexed how anyone in this thread thinks it’s good
:confused:

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of mental gymnastics white men are willing to perform to deny rorschach is a misogynistic, racist, homophobe. It's endlessly entertaining while simultaneously filling me with a deep sadness.

Supreme Allah posted:

From the trailers there's obviously a Cult of Rorschach. Count me on that side of the situations.

:unsmigghh::gbsmith: :smith:

shout out to the super pedant who's real mad doc, to our knowledge, didnt leave the galaxy and finally,

why would a wizard get in a fist fight?

King Of Coons fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Dec 11, 2019

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

Jay-V posted:

Almost definitely. Veidt told Dr. M that it was a "little elephant" who told him that Dr. M was on Europa, meaning that Trieu is 99% likely to be the person he was trying to communicate with via the message for the satellite ("Save Me D" -- probably "Daughter").

Think we know by now that Veidt's storyline happens before the rest of the plot, so the meteor was probably Veidt; she knew it would land on the farm because she's the one who planned the rescue mission.

Travel from Europa is not instantaneous unless Dr Manhattan is doing it.

Why did Trieu wait until the absolute last second to buy the land? She had enough time to make the baby for the couple. She knew that the object was coming and where it would land.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

Travel from Europa is not instantaneous unless Dr Manhattan is doing it.

Why did Trieu wait until the absolute last second to buy the land? She had enough time to make the baby for the couple. She knew that the object was coming and where it would land.

Maybe she's Doctor Namhattan

King Of Coons
May 5, 2006
dramatic effect

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

High-pressure sales technique. It took time to make the baby, anyway.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
What was it that saw veidt's corpse message...a space probe he knew would be passing at that moment, or a satellite installed to orbit around Europa?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

WHY BONER NOW posted:

What was it that saw veidt's corpse message...a space probe he knew would be passing at that moment, or a satellite installed to orbit around Europa?

A little elephant.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

If he left Earth in 2009, the final shot of Veidt takes place in 2014?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012
Dr. M explicitly says he wouldn't give someone the burden of his powers without their consent so I sincerely doubt Topher eats a blue waffle. Also the kids are at the movies with their great grandpa so they're not waking up and going downstairs at all. They're completely removed from the situation.
Obviously Lube Man=Blue Man is the correct prediction.