Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

The Glumslinger posted:

Oh poo poo, I thought that was where it connected to the tower

it is, it's just not supposed to be worn through due to metal on metal contact in a windy area for 100 years.

Those C-hooks were the connection points for the insulators to the tower, which are these guys from a different tower design.

Here's a picture of the transmission line that failed in a different point where it's worked itself down through the metal quite a ways

And here's another C-hook and the attachment point on the tower it was on, showing the damage on both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

:aaaaa:

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
... And somebody climbed up there to make a visual inspection in the past year and signed off on that?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Ardeem posted:

... And somebody climbed up there to make a visual inspection in the past year and signed off on that?

No, probably not

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
that has to be gross, if not criminal, negligence

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Kuvo posted:

that has to be gross, if not criminal, negligence

its actually the ability of the free market to perform services more efficiently than big government

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

before they died horribly in the fires some of those people probably had their retirement funds benefit from the hundreds of millions of dollars pg&e diverted from their maintenance budget to stock buybacks so it's impossible to say whether it was bad or not actually.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

that solid inch of steel thats missing wasnt worn down, it was converted to shareholder value

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Shear Modulus posted:

that solid inch of steel thats missing wasnt worn down, it was converted to shareholder value

:hmmyes:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Shear Modulus posted:

:hai:

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Corporations can't compete against the government... Wait, it's: Corporations save way more money then the government... gently caress.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Probably but not officially, they are mostly trying to get people to go a debate they're holding this Wednesday.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Regarding potential public purchase of PG&E, I just saw an interesting analysis of a proposed municipalization of a utility serving a medium-large city.

It cited this publicly available analysis of a proposed Pueblo municipalization:

https://ceadvisors.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Pueblo-Feasibility-Study.pdf

Page 19 has some nice numbers on post-2000 municipalization efforts. Of 64 attempts since 2000, 44 were rejected/abandoned, 11 succeeded (2 were later sold back to the parent utility), and 9 are pending.

Page 57 goes into the history of municipalization of utilities in the US and why the average age of the 20 largest is 85 years old, with only two of those happening since the 1940s.

Beyond general historical trends, the financing analysis for this particular city looked grim on a quick scan.

I wonder how ugly the numbers would be for any municipality trying to buy their local chunk of PG&E and splintering the overall system. (PG&E, incidentally, was/is the target of 9 of the 64 muncipalizations mentioned since 2000; only one was approved, and it was sold back to PG&E in 2014.) I gather that most if not all of these efforts are focused on local distribution, it's not obvious that any cities own significant transmission assets, especially given cross-state issues. And of course publicly owned utilities don't have sovereign immunity to lawsuits.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

UCSC grad students are going on a wildcat strike this week, refusing to submit grades until they get a cost of living adjustment

https://twitter.com/bananaslums/status/1203850509389402112?s=19

https://twitter.com/bananaslums/status/1203915618669318144?s=19

https://twitter.com/bananaslums/status/1204077764778708993?s=19

https://twitter.com/bananaslums/status/1204090529190961152?s=19

I was moderately active in the TA union at UCSC, but I graduated a little over a year ago so most of my info is second hand or out of date. But roughly, the background is this:

• Santa Cruz is considered a "rural campus" by the UCs despite having housing prices comparable to what you would see in silicon valley. The exact causes of the Santa Cruz housing crisis are complicated, as usual, but it's been going on for years now.
  • As a result, grad students (particularly in the humanities) have trouble making ends meet. This is especially true if they have kids, etc.
  • A year or two ago, the TA union negotiated a new contract with the UCs. There was actually a lot of good stuff in this contract IMO, but it was noticeably missing a cost of living adjustment for Santa Cruz. It was overwhelmingly approved by the union local (which covers all UCs), but was overwhelmingly rejected by grad students at UCSC
  • The union's contract specifically forbids strikes in most situations (including this one), so the members who are striking are breaking that contract and are risking termination and/or expulsion here. IMO it's drat impressive how much turnout they have in light of that fact.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
As UCSC alumni, I say: go Fighting Banana Slug grads.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Hell yeah solidarity with the slugs.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

as someone who was very active in the grad student union and is still somewhat plugged in i feel some necessary context is that as evil and insidious as they are, no-strike clauses are in virtually every collective bargaining agreement in this country and as far as i know every single higher-ed CBA. getting a CBA without a no-strike clause would require a level of militancy and organization we havent seen in this country for a hundred years.

thankfully though higher-ed unions are seeing the same resurgence in membership and activism that many other unions, most notably teachers' unions, have seen in the last few years. earlier this year the university of california academic researchers (ie, scientists who arent professors and dont teach classes) unionized. this is the first union for these kinds of workers in the country. they ratified their CBA last month: http://uaw5810.org/ars-have-ratified-their-new-contract

for whatever reasons santa cruz has been one of our least organized campuses for a lot of years so if they have turned it around and this action actually has a lot of participation that would be good news

the last contract ratification vote was also fairly close statewide (around 60-40 iirc) and not what i would call an overwhelming approval

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

That’s wild that UCSC is considered a rural campus. Wages not reflecting cost of living seems to be a countywide problem though. Every job I’ve seen there in my field pays 15k less than other places with a comparable cost of living like Santa Barbara.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

wages not having kept up with the cost of living is kind of a thing yeah

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

as someone who was very active in the grad student union and is still somewhat plugged in i feel some necessary context is that as evil and insidious as they are, no-strike clauses are in virtually every collective bargaining agreement in this country and as far as i know every single higher-ed CBA. getting a CBA without a no-strike clause would require a level of militancy and organization we havent seen in this country for a hundred years.

thankfully though higher-ed unions are seeing the same resurgence in membership and activism that many other unions, most notably teachers' unions, have seen in the last few years. earlier this year the university of california academic researchers (ie, scientists who arent professors and dont teach classes) unionized. this is the first union for these kinds of workers in the country. they ratified their CBA last month: http://uaw5810.org/ars-have-ratified-their-new-contract

for whatever reasons santa cruz has been one of our least organized campuses for a lot of years so if they have turned it around and this action actually has a lot of participation that would be good news

the last contract ratification vote was also fairly close statewide (around 60-40 iirc) and not what i would call an overwhelming approval

Along with what you were saying above, my wife is part of the apc union(https://apc1002.org/about-apc/our-contract/) and they recently sent out a survey regarding the willingness of members to strike and what their opinions on strikes in general were. I didn't understand why they were sending it until just now, so thanks for the additional context.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Shear Modulus posted:

Oh poo poo, the academic researchers unionized? That's awesome, UCs have huge research departments.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
UC is still pulling some fucky stuff with the Academic Researchers that I really can't get into too many details of. They've been using the academic researchers for years to undermine the staff researcher* positions that already existed (and have been union represented for a long time), and were not too happy that suddenly the pseudo-postdocs hired on continuously renewing 6-month appointments were trying to collectively bargain. We'll see how it shakes out.

*What's the difference between a staff researcher and an academic researcher? Fun question, the job descriptions sound the same but one group is union represented while the other group was not. Guess which of the two UC allows you to hire overnight while the other takes 4 months to officially hire?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

Cheers 2865 comrade! :cheers:

Thanks for clarifying all of this, I didn't mean for my post to come across as misleading in any way. In particular I didn't mean to imply that UAW 2865 did anything wrong by agreeing to a contract with a no-strike clause; there was no way there would be any agreement at all without that. And 60-40 is about the number I remember too; "overwhelming" was probably the wrong word there but I think a 20-point margin is at least very solid approval.

It's super cool that the GSRs unionized. That had been a goal of the union since well before I got involved (probably circa 2013 or so), and it was awesome seeing it come together in my last year or two at UCSC.

I'm surprised you felt as though UCSC was one of the least organized campuses, my recollection was the opposite. I remember the raw numbers took a dive at UCSC a few years ago when the readers joined the union, since all the sudden the number of people represented went way up but it was slow going getting the readers to sign up as members, but I thought our numbers were pretty good with respect to the TAs. Am I misremembering? It's also possible my memory is mistaking militancy for membership; my recollection is that the UCSC activists were always trying to get the other schools to take more radical action. The UCSC union could effectively shut down campus when they needed to through an alliance with the activist-y undergrads, so they wielded a lot of power over the admin and knew it.

E: wait was it the GSRs unionizing or another group? For some reason I could swear I heard that the GSRs unionized but the above post makes me think that wasn't the case

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Gsrs haven't unionized yet, just the teaching assistants (2865 right? Or are they upte)

slicing up eyeballs fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Dec 11, 2019

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the grad student researchers are not unionized, that campaign is just beginning. it is the academic researchers who just unionized which are scientists and technical staff who often are things like post-postdoc non-tenure-track scientists or project managers or expert operators of big science machines

e: i did not go to santa cruz so dont have experience with what you said about ability to shut down the campus or enforcing picket lines but when i was privy to the statewide numbers i remember santa cruz was one of the lower campuses in membership percentage (for TAs, graders, and tutors)

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Dec 11, 2019

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Shear Modulus posted:

the grad student researchers are not unionized, that campaign is just beginning. it is the academic researchers who just unionized which are scientists and technical staff who often are things like post-postdoc non-tenure-track scientists or project managers or expert operators of big science machines

Just a correction here. Technical STAFF have been unionized for quite awhile through UPTE which represents several of the bargaining units at UC. The group that just unionized are the "non-faculty Academic Researchers". These people are not staff and receive merit raises in the same manner as faculty.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Just a correction here. Technical STAFF have been unionized for quite awhile through UPTE which represents several of the bargaining units at UC. The group that just unionized are the "non-faculty Academic Researchers". These people are not staff and receive merit raises in the same manner as faculty.

ah, right.

VikingofRock posted:

E: wait was it the GSRs unionizing or another group? For some reason I could swear I heard that the GSRs unionized but the above post makes me think that wasn't the case

student researchers were legally barred from unionizing by california state law until around 2016 or 2017 when the law was changed after students pushed the legislature pretty hard, but they have not actually submitted a card campaign to the california public employee relations board yet because these campaigns take time

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Dec 11, 2019

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Gotcha, thanks everyone for the info. As I said, my info is all second hand or out of date nowadays, but I still thought it was worth posting in this thread. It's awesome that the Academic Researchers are unionized now; hopefully that can help convince the GSRs to unionize too. And if the wildcat slugs are successful, maybe an extra $1200 / month will help convince the GSRs too.

E:

slicing up eyeballs posted:

Gsrs haven't unionized yet, just the teaching assistants (2865 right? Or are they upte)

Yeah, TAs are UAW 2865

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Kenning posted:

Hell yeah solidarity with the slugs.
For people not exactly plugged into the UC system, Here is a link to their strike fund: https://www.gofundme.com/f/support-fund-for-striking-workers-at-ucsc

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Im gonna have to strengthen my strangling grip in preperation for this poo poo. Gonna have to swear off my vows to never road rage again so i can grab some Upper Class White/Asian Professional's neck.
https://www.ocregister.com/2019/12/10/toll-lanes-on-the-5-in-orange-county-it-could-happen-in-a-decade/

quote:

The OCTA and Caltrans are spending more than $40 million, much of it from the half-cent sales tax voters approved in 2006, to add a second carpool lane in each direction on the 5 from the 55 to the 57 Freeway by 2021. That lane shouldn’t be tolled so soon after it’s built, OCTA Board Chair Tim Shaw said. “This strikes me as breaking a promise.”
The same conflict could also arise on the 55 Freeway, where sales tax revenue is being spent to add a second carpool lane from the 405 to the 5.
I dont know what the studies REALLY say but carpool lanes are still usually a blessing for me even at peak traffic times and there's nothing worse than driving stretches of freeway where the carpool either doesnt exist or is some bullshit lane for rich people

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
"This time adding an extra lane to 'fix traffic' will work!" he says, endlessly bashing his face into a brick wall.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

In non-strike news (good luck and solidarity to the UC Santa Cruz strikers) it looks like the UBI experiment in Stockton is going well enough to generate some positive reporting: https://www.businessinsider.com/stockton-basic-income-test-success-mayor-tubbs-2019-12

quote:

In February, the city began distributing $500 monthly stipends to 125 residents who live at or below the median income line (about $46,000 annually). The stipends are a test of basic income, a policy approach that would essentially pay people simply for being alive.

In October, Stockton released the first set of data about how the program was faring. Most participants, initial results showed, were using their stipends to buy groceries and pay their bills.

On average, participants in the trial spent a plurality of their stipends (about 40%) on food and another 24% on sales and merchandise — like trips to Walmart or dollar stores. Another 11% went to paying their utilities, and about 9% went to buying gas and repairing their cars.

But some residents used the extra cash in ways that Tubbs hadn't predicted. One man used his stipend to buy dentures so he could feel comfortable smiling in public. Another resident used the money to take time off work to care for her husband, who had recently suffered a stroke.

"I think of the story of Roy — a white, middle-class guy who went to UC Santa Barbara and owns a small business. The $500 a month has allowed him to go visit his family in Nashville," Tubbs said. "I think of a grandmother who was able to buy her grandkids a bag of chips and actual gifts for their birthday."

Nice seeing people being able to get a little added dignity to their lives, and hopefully experiments like these alongside the quixotic Yang campaign actually result in some national attention on the topic.

Edit:

Sydin posted:

"This time adding an extra lane to 'fix traffic' will work!" he says, endlessly bashing his face into a brick wall.

IIRC don't studies show that traffic inevitably increases to meet or exceed the new lane capacity? Basically adding the lanes encourages more driving which necessitates more lanes?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

carpool lanes are supposed to fix traffic by taking cars off the road (since now supposedly more people are carpooling) but i know of no studies that actually looked at whether people do in fact shift to carpooling when the lane is added

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Shear Modulus posted:

carpool lanes are supposed to fix traffic by taking cars off the road (since now supposedly more people are carpooling) but i know of no studies that actually looked at whether people do in fact shift to carpooling when the lane is added

I've seen a study that says toll lanes directly increase traffic though, i'll see if I can find it

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Wicked Them Beats posted:

IIRC don't studies show that traffic inevitably increases to meet or exceed the new lane capacity? Basically adding the lanes encourages more driving which necessitates more lanes?

yeah pretty much

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Yes, adding lanes reduces traffic in the short term, but then because traffic is now eased it encourages more people commute via car, which increases traffic, which puts you right back where you started or even worse. The other issue is that even if you could expand freeways infinitely or stack them ultimately all of these cars have to dump out on to 2-3 lane surface streets with traffic lights, which would cause backups at exits which then eventually back up general traffic on the freeway. This is also by the way why even Elon's early pie in the sky loop concepts are bullshit: at some point all those cars moving super fast and efficiently through the loop have to dump out on surface streets not equipped to handled that high a capacity.

Shear Modulus posted:

Even if carpool lanes take enough cars off the road to ease traffic you get the same effect as having added a lane: traffic is eased, so more people opt to drive, which ramps traffic back up. Ultimately there are just too many people sprawled out over too large an area trying to all move at the same time to the same tiny area where all the jobs are. As much as "Train good Car bad" is a truism, even throwing up huge amounts of public transit can only do so much to mitigate the insane levels of urban sprawl in California.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
More lanes = more traffic, always and forever.

You can see this in San Diego, where the 5-805 merge is something like 23 lanes across at one point - and it still siezes up like clockwork every rush hour.

Tom Vanderbilt's "Traffic: Why We Drive the Way We Do (and What It Says About Us)" is a good non-technical overview of the issues surrounding traffic and congestion.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This is called "induced demand" and we've known it was a fact since like the 1960s or 70s. But voters frankly don't know or don't believe it or don't care, because it's one of those tragedy of the commons things where someone already coping with horrible traffic every day is very hard to convince that adding a lane to their commute won't make things better, and, the cost is distributed in a way that they don't see it.

In theory (heh) it'd be possible for a metro area to add lanes without creating induced demand, if they also outright banned the creation of new housing units along the transit corridor getting the new lanes. That's all but impossible for most areas to manage. It's much better to build public transit, and induce demand along those public transit lines, instead: but, conversely, those are often the areas where new housing is happening the least, because it requires replacing lower-density with higher-density in already suburbanized/urbanized areas, rather than just eating up empty greenfields on the suburban/rural margin. And sometimes the public transit is implemented in such a way that it fails to induce demand (because it sucks): see for example, some of san jose's light rail system.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I mean, in the real world "induced demand" is a thing, because people want to go places but they loving can't, so as soon as it's easier to get there, they actually go. When more traffic bandwidth is opened up, more people use it, it doesn't just fill up with imaginary cars that create the traffic. Look at the 73 toll road - there's never traffic, even though people desperately want to get between the places that it leads, because it's too expensive.

You can also blame commercial traffic instead of commuter traffic. People being able to quickly and easily move around is a collective benefit that everyone enjoys. Businesses putting trucks on the street more often/further/for more hours of the day only helps the businesses that are willing to race to the bottom, and is a big source of traffic since those trucks drive differently than passenger cars. Just-in-time logistics are a blight on the world for the way they shift costs on to the public to make inventory easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

I read through some of that stuff once, and it wasnt very well done.

People love repeating it though. One problem is that by the time a lane is added theres already enough people to fill it. Look at the greater LA area population in 2000 compared to now.