Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Heners_UK posted:

While I cannot say when Unraid 6.8 will come out, it's been previously posted that it ups the SMB version to people's satisfaction. I've personally just disabled it for a bit (wasn't day to day using SMB).

I will say that the Unraid community has some atypical views on security practices. SSH keys? Not easily. Routinely using an account that isn't root? Also no. External ssh access, quite rightly given the first two, not recommended. VPNs are the one true way to access anything!

When I said atypical, I didn't mean necessarily poor, but it does get a bit heard mentality at least, sometimes cutting off otherwise accepted methods.

Personally I use a fully patched RPi1 with Dietpi + ssh key access only for external SSH access + tunnels.

Coming to Unraid from Synology I had expected superior security options to be available and have been surprised to find the reverse to be true. Not being able to disable root is irksome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

*describes poor security practices*

Heners_UK posted:

When I said atypical, I didn't mean necessarily poor,

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Tamba posted:

Seems like they don't care about supporting that though, so it will be gone with the next version. (You can still use existing VMs or manually make your own)

It doesn't really do a whole lot but was still kinda useful, so it figures they'd kill it. At least I already have my Rancher VM running. Someday I'll be able to replace all this with a plain Fedora CoreOS or equivalent :allears:

derk
Sep 24, 2004

eames posted:

Unraid is kind of unique in that it gives you access to the Linux stack without requiring a whole lot of underlying knowledge or computer janitoring. The community is ok, there are simple YouTube tutorials for advanced topics, manual updates are relatively rare and done via webinterface, docker containers can be set to auto-update if you trust the third parties publishing them. In my experience it is quite hands off once up and running.

If you go with Ubuntu you’ll save some money but you’ll have to spend more time setting things up and keeping it up to date if/when you run into issues with unattended upgrades. If you want to pick up some Linux skills then by all means go for it, if not maybe stick with Unraid or look into an appliance like Synology.

I can’t comment on FreeNAS but last time I checked it wasn’t the first choice for docker (there is no native BSD version of docker, containers run in a small Linux VM).

Don't forget that you can do containers(jails) in Ubuntu Server. LxC and LxM is what it is called I believe?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

WD has a holiday sale going on today. You can get 3x 8TB elements externals or 3x 6TB reds or 3x 1TB NVMe SSDs for about $300 with a filler item (flash drive) to hit the $400 purchase which gives you $100 off:
source: https://slickdeals.net/f/13702757-1tb-wd-black-sn750-ssd-8tb-wd-elements-hdd-or-6tb-wd-red-nas-hdd-3-for-301-free-s-h?src=frontpage

1TB NVMe: https://shop.westerndigital.com/products/internal-drives/wd-black-sn750-nvme-ssd#WDS100T3X0C
6TB Red: https://shop.westerndigital.com/products/internal-drives/wd-red-sata-hdd#WD60EFAX
8TB Elements: https://shop.westerndigital.com/products/external-drives/wd-elements-desktop-usb-3-0-hdd#WDBWLG0080HBK-NESN
flash drive for filler to hit $400: https://shop.westerndigital.com/products/usb-flash-drives/sandisk-cruzer-fit-usb-2-0#SDCZ33-064G-A46

There's a lot more choices than just those, but those three items are $129.99 today and the sale takes $100 off of a $400 purchase.
https://shop.westerndigital.com/campaign/promotions/s/ten-days-of-deals

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Thermopyle posted:

*describes poor security practices*

Referring to VPNs when I said that (i.e. not necessarily bad advice but atypical it's the only advice), should have been clearer but the kid was jumping on me. For the rest, yes they are poor practices.

My general rules given the limitations:
* Don't frigging expose it's Web UI, SSH or Telnet ports externally. Ever. Know what you're doing before you expose anything else.
* Strong root password - best you can do really (I would have disabled this too, and as a distant second, only allowed pubkey authentication to it)
* Somehow see if we can get Limetech to shift it's thinking.

Keeping in mind that this product is generally targetted at home users I'm not sure how far we'd get on the last one. I'd expect the analogy used would be that most users are used to Windows Local Admin and this is, in their eyes, the same.

I also don't like being made to make a choice between minimal CJing and following the commonplace security advice that's still given today for most linux use.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
VPN or you don't get to access the network., including the services.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Did some more digging and it's possible to disable root login via SSH: https://forums.unraid.net/topic/77471-secure-your-unraid-ssh-access-and-tunnel-using-putty
Only briefly read but it ticks some of the boxes.

Importantly not the same as disabling login as root entirely

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?
"Media" is a Share on my Unraid 6.7.2 server.

From Windows 10:
code:
PS C:\> [System.Environment]::OSVersion.Version

Major  Minor  Build  Revision
-----  -----  -----  --------
10     0      18363  0

PS C:\> Get-SmbConnection | where { $_.ShareName -eq "Media" } | select ShareName,Dialect,NumOpens

ShareName Dialect NumOpens
--------- ------- --------
Media     3.1.1          5
From an old Server 2016 VM I had available to power up and test:
code:
PS C:\> [System.Environment]::OSVersion.Version

Major  Minor  Build  Revision
-----  -----  -----  --------
10     0      14393  0

PS C:\> Get-SmbConnection | where { $_.ShareName -eq "Media" } | select ShareName,Dialect,NumOpens

ShareName Dialect NumOpens
--------- ------- --------
Media     3.1.1          1
That dialect property means the connection is SMB3, no? What am I missing here?

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Having network shares show in the "Network" pane requires SMBv1 to be enabled. Mapping shares as a network drive or navigating directly to \\hostname will work without enabling SMBv1 on Windows.

6.8 will use the Western Digital (iirc) protocol to have the server show back up in the Network pane.

No clue why everyone decided to interpret it as "unraid only uses SMBv1"

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Heners_UK posted:

Did some more digging and it's possible to disable root login via SSH: https://forums.unraid.net/topic/77471-secure-your-unraid-ssh-access-and-tunnel-using-putty
Only briefly read but it ticks some of the boxes.

Importantly not the same as disabling login as root entirely

The default configuration for sshd in OpenBSD is "#PermitRootLogin prohibit-password" - not allowed, but if you uncomment it you can login with a keyfile.
Most other distributions default to #PermitRootLogin no" - not allowed, and you have to change it to a yes if you uncomment it.

Anything else is horribly insecure because it assumes things which certainly aren't true for other SSH implementations and even with OpenSSH implementations can be dangerous.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Buff Hardback posted:

Having network shares show in the "Network" pane requires SMBv1 to be enabled. Mapping shares as a network drive or navigating directly to \\hostname will work without enabling SMBv1 on Windows.

6.8 will use the Western Digital (iirc) protocol to have the server show back up in the Network pane.

Ok, that's a pretty important distinction

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Buff Hardback posted:

Mapping shares as a network drive or navigating directly to \\hostname will work without enabling SMBv1 on Windows.

I can't get this to work on my son's Win10 computer for the loving life of me, but it works just fine on mine. Both are updated fully and I don't think it's firewall bullshit.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I can't get this to work on my son's Win10 computer for the loving life of me, but it works just fine on mine. Both are updated fully and I don't think it's firewall bullshit.

Does the network location work, it just won't authenticate or does it even load the network location?

If it won't authenticate, try making sure no shares are mapped, searching for "credential manager", deleting everything that relates to your server authentication, then log out/in and try again

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

No it just plain doesn't see the share and I can't go to \\$ip_address or \\$unraid_name

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

No it just plain doesn't see the share and I can't go to \\$ip_address or \\$unraid_name

If you guys figure this out please walk me through how to add it this way? I was only able to do it via SMB1 but I know gently caress all about networking in general compared to most itt. If I can get it working another route without SMB1 then I'd be more likely to just leave the setup as-is.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Can you ping the ip address through the windows 10 computer?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I... believe so, yes. (at work right now, so working off memory)

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

CommieGIR posted:

VPN or you don't get to access the network., including the services.

b...bb..bbb...but my idiot friends who can't work a tunnel!!??

gently caress em they're dumb and not worth your time :sever:

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

I... believe so, yes. (at work right now, so working off memory)

Welp that eliminates a lot of the easy networking issues. I am not super familiar with unraid but it appears to be a legitimate weakness.

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/73750-windows-10-smb-share-issues/

Now the solution I see here would make sense just from what people are saying:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...43-ecc7ab8b5119

Which I find hilarious as a professional NAS person.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

The common thread seems to be unauthenticated access to shares is what Windows doesn't entirely like. Does your son have a user account in Unraid to access shares?

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

also even though it sounds silly, make sure there's no credentials in credential manager

the auth flow for SMB in Windows is dumb as hell and I think a bad username/password or already instantiated connection with a different username/password causes the new connection to freak out before even loading shares

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Buff Hardback posted:

My local Samba server shows up just fine in my Network pane on Windows 10 with SMB1 disabled entirely at both ends (Samba is actually set to use only the Win7 and later variant of SMB2 because there will never again be a Vista machine on my LAN), so this is definitely not true. According to Samba as long as nmbd is set up properly it should browse normally.

quote:

I was going off Matt Zerella's post that ended page 552 and the responses from other users like That Works who also had to enable SMB1 on their Windows machines to access their Unraid machines.

HalloKitty posted:

Ok, that's a pretty important distinction
It definitely is, now I'm almost considering installing unraid in a VM myself just to verify one way or another.

If it supports SMB3 but still allows connections from SMB1 that's not the most secure configuration in the world but it's a reasonable default for a commercial product where compatibility without configuration is desirable to some users.

If it requires that clients have SMB1 enabled to access the current stable version, something is horribly wrong with their priorities and it'd make me wonder what else they have that badly wrong.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

wolrah posted:

My local Samba server shows up just fine in my Network pane on Windows 10 with SMB1 disabled entirely at both ends (Samba is actually set to use only the Win7 and later variant of SMB2 because there will never again be a Vista machine on my LAN), so this is definitely not true. According to Samba as long as nmbd is set up properly it should browse normally.

I was going off Matt Zerella's post that ended page 552 and the responses from other users like That Works who also had to enable SMB1 on their Windows machines to access their Unraid machines.

It definitely is, now I'm almost considering installing unraid in a VM myself just to verify one way or another.

If it supports SMB3 but still allows connections from SMB1 that's not the most secure configuration in the world but it's a reasonable default for a commercial product where compatibility without configuration is desirable to some users.

If it requires that clients have SMB1 enabled to access the current stable version, something is horribly wrong with their priorities and it'd make me wonder what else they have that badly wrong.
IIRC there's a WD discovery protocol that also populates the network pane, which Unraid didn't have until 6.8.

it's WS-discovery, not WD.

I can't speak to the specifics of your setup, but it's possible that service is running on your samba server?

Raymond T. Racing fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 10, 2019

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm not an expert on smb, but I know that I can browse to all my unraid shares on the 3 win10 machines I've tried and I've never installed anything smb related on any of them.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Hoping to get new drives for my Synology 1513+ and curious what the latest best recommendation is for NAS drives?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Direct purchase is still WD Reds

But most of us shuck WD external drives to get white label versions of those.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Heners_UK posted:

Direct purchase is still WD Reds

But most of us shuck WD external drives to get white label versions of those.

just cheaper?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

MMD3 posted:

just cheaper?

Correct. Usually it's about a ⅓ saving if you shuck, but can be more.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Unraid 6.8 is out: https://unraid.net/blog/unraid-6-8

Forum post with description of the SMB1 stuff: https://forums.unraid.net/topic/86028-unraid-os-version-68-available/

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

This is great, I can finally dump OpenVPN for Wireguard. I do wish they'd let me get rid of the root login account, but SSL + VPN seems secure enough for me - I can just set up my devices to always auto-connect for safe private browsing on public wifi while I'm not at home.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Dec 11, 2019

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Gay Retard posted:

This is great, I can finally dump OpenVPN for Wireguard. I do wish they'd let me get rid of the root login account, but SSL + VPN seems secure enough for me - I can just set up my devices to always auto-connect for safe private browsing on public wifi while I'm not at home.

Now that its finally forms based for login you can at least set a secure password and use a manager to log in.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Matt Zerella posted:

Now that its finally forms based for login you can at least set a secure password and use a manager to log in.

Actually that brings me to a point, one I think I'd better ask seeing as I fell flat on my own face talking about security earlier, what are people's thoughts on using a long passphrase? E.g. "tomatoes yoghurt canopy chainsaw cats phesant" rather than "3wM%64t4&&WQW$Wk*qgx". I'm thinking about the time I might have to log in interactively at the console (i.e. use a mouse and keyboard, cannot get to password manager).

EDIT: Generated another passphrase example from bitwarden: "Endurable-Moonlit-Marine-Rush-Frisbee-Dreaded4"

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Long passphrases are strongly encouraged in most modern security structures, on the grounds that random alphanumeric passwords effectively forces you to write it down / store it somewhere, which itself is a vulnerability. Total entropy of a sufficiently long passphrase is at least as good (usually better) than shorter complex passwords.

For home use it almost doesn't matter, since no one is going to sit there trying to brute-force your password. At best they'll throw a common wordlist / dictionary attack at it in passing and then move on to the next server.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Heners_UK posted:

Actually that brings me to a point, one I think I'd better ask seeing as I fell flat on my own face talking about security earlier, what are people's thoughts on using a long passphrase? E.g. "tomatoes yoghurt canopy chainsaw cats phesant" rather than "3wM%64t4&&WQW$Wk*qgx". I'm thinking about the time I might have to log in interactively at the console (i.e. use a mouse and keyboard, cannot get to password manager).

EDIT: Generated another passphrase example from bitwarden: "Endurable-Moonlit-Marine-Rush-Frisbee-Dreaded4"

So from your example, the entropy on the first wordlist password would be 26 letters plus space, 27^(number of characters, or 46) = 696198609130885597695136021593547814689632716312296141651066450089

vs Numbers, upper and lower case letters, and 4 special characters, so 10+26*2+4 = 66^18th power = 564664961438246926567398233604096

So yeah, without explicit knowledge of the pattern used or any of that the first is like 10x more secure than the second one.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
Just use a password manager with a good keystore password and generate crazy long garbage passwords with abandon. Passphrases are really more geared towards being easy to remember while maintaining security which makes them applicable to keystore passwords but should be irrelevant to the backend services themselves.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

H2SO4 posted:

Just use a password manager with a good keystore password and generate crazy long garbage passwords with abandon. Passphrases are really more geared towards being easy to remember while maintaining security which makes them applicable to keystore passwords but should be irrelevant to the backend services themselves.

In this case I'm addressing the fringe case that I might actually have to type the password in, without Copy & Paste from Password Manager available.

However, looking back, it seems that it's secure enough against Password Hacking, Keyboard Using Robots who are also Burglars.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

H2SO4 posted:

I was just about to post something to this effect, but you loving beat me to the punch, and I only found out about it because I checked the thread again before hitting post.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Given the earlier discussions, I went into UnRAID's settings > SMB and disabled NetBIOS, which appears to also disable SMB1 support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

God loving damnit. I switched off of FreeNAS to avoid stupid reactionary changes.

code:
$ sudo apt update
Ign:10 [url]http://ppa.launchpad.net/jonathonf/zfs/ubuntu[/url] bionic InRelease                                       
Err:13 [url]http://ppa.launchpad.net/jonathonf/zfs/ubuntu[/url] bionic Release                                                
  404  Not Found [IP: 91.189.95.83 80]
Reading package lists... Done                                
E: The repository 'http://ppa.launchpad.net/jonathonf/zfs/ubuntu bionic Release' no longer has a Release file.
N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.

quote:

I will be removing most of my PPAs from public access due to continued and persistent abuse by companies using these packages for commercial gain with flagrant disregard to the knowledge and effort required to maintain them.