Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

TACD posted:

It is extremely satisfying watching the entire media class break down wailing about being 'politically homeless' as if that wasn't the case for the rest of us for our entire lives up until about two years ago.

Two years of the media class wailing "I wish the lib dems existed".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Braggart posted:

Yes it is too much to ask, you loving melt!

Face reality. This is your choice. Pick one.

A party exists that specifically represents their exact politics of make Brexit go away and change nothing else. But the fact that no-one else wants to vote for the Lib Dems just never shifts their belief that their politics are those of most "sensible" people. The unshakeable arrogance of it is awe inspiring.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Where's the magic Yewtree, Daniel?

(His name is Daniel Kawczynski. I looked at the leaflet in the image to figure this out for the joke :D)

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu
Thank you goons! I'll be sure to get the Praxiscast live on and will be refreshing this thread like a madman!

Also tv licence is such a joke. Nobody on UC in my position could possibly afford it without the consequences of losing out on a weeks food shop or more over that.

I'm actually off to a food bank soon because my family have been pushing me to go despite the fact I'm so worried about using up a slot for food that could have gone to a family with kids.

Really hoping my effort on getting back into society pays off with a job soon. I've been to so many work placements and interviews.

DiscoWitch fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Dec 11, 2019

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Zalakwe posted:

Anyone got that recent video of Brown backing Corbyn?

https://twitter.com/ToryFibs/status/1203013711113392134

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Perhaps a hamster posted:

Have two days' worth of thread to catch up with still, but, what a beautiful gift to wake up to. :allears:

Also yesterday received a Brexit party leaflet addressed directly to my very obviously non-British name. So not only someone's leaking info off the non-open electoral register, but also leaving enough of it out to the point where EU-immigrants get encouraged to vote for Brexit. In a constituency that had 20k+ Lab majority last time. lol.

I think political parties can get access to the whole register including the non-open for electoral campaigns. I might be wrong. When you go on the non-open it means private companies can't look you up on there.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Sky News do a live Youtube feed. Theoretically as you're watching as-live you need a license for it but as it's the international feed you could make the argument you're actually watching Azerbaijani live TV, not British.
The TV licence inspectors rip off their uniforms stripper style, revealing Daxili İşlər Nazirliyi uniforms underneath and begin beating me with heavy plastic sticks for insulting Ilham Aliyev's low effort mustache.

"These aren't the burly men I hired to beat me with sticks" I cry as I curl up in the corner.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

peanut- posted:

It's irrational but I can't help hating these people more than actual Tories.

https://twitter.com/rafaelbehr/status/1204664854264586241

That's literally just "I wish things would just be OK for me forever because thinking they aren't is hard" which uh, yeah great mate good luck with that.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Braggart posted:

Where's the magic Yewtree, Daniel?

(His name is Daniel Kawczynski. I looked at the leaflet in the image to figure this out for the joke :D)

Reminder that he's the MP who thought he could stop the Brexit delay by asking the Polish government to veto it because he's Polish.

Chuff McNothing
Sep 9, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
that love actually video is the best thing the tories have ever done

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Jel Shaker posted:

Those vegan sausage rolls any good? Are they that fake meat or just vegetables? This is the kind of chat tomorrow I cant wait for

They've got Quorn in btw. If like me you are hyper-allergic to Quorn then beware! I actually found another friend who is too when I posted about this on fb!

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Cheers.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
What the gently caress

https://twitter.com/keewa/status/1204154271995969538?s=19
https://twitter.com/harvey_bone/status/1204488613402218496?s=19
https://twitter.com/mynnoj/status/1204491539872919558?s=19

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Extremely Online Election column continues to own bones

quote:

Violence is never the answer, even when Matt Hancock is involved. Yesterday, the secretary of state for health and social care and, apparently, aspiring Littlewoods model, visited Leeds General Infirmary, where Labour supporters, in a paid hit funded by Momentum, took it upon themselves to batter him and his aide to death. The A&E department, not having any space left for their brutalised corpses, had to lay them down on the floor, with the children. Boris Johnson is expected to lay a wreath upside down on the tattered remains of his body later today.

Of course, I’m reading this information from BBC political editor Laura Kuenssberg’s tweets, and choosing not to double check it. No, don’t make me watch the video. I’m not going to watch the video. Matt Hancock is dead! I will take your phone and put it in my pocket, so help me! Let’s get Brexit done!

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/dec/10/photo-fake-tory-punch-tweet-storm-boy-hospital

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

TACD posted:

It is extremely satisfying watching the entire media class break down wailing about being 'politically homeless' as if that wasn't the case for the rest of us for our entire lives up until about two years ago.

They're not even being made politically homeless. They're just upset that their not-granted-planning-permission, not-up-to-code extension that blocks light to the neighbours and that they never paid the workers for is going to have to come down.

Tortured metaphors 'R' us! :pseudo:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

That's literally just "I wish things would just be OK for me forever because thinking they aren't is hard" which uh, yeah great mate good luck with that.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

CyberPingu posted:

Who has their xmas party on a Thursday?

Pretty much every large company I've ever worked for. It's a thing for some reason, possibly because all the bougie poo poo white-collar workers are going to be 'Working from home' on a normal Friday.

Tsietisin posted:

Why that will be the UKMT Praxiscast live stream of course.

Come join us for only the hottest of takes and liver failure due to alcohol poisoning.

I'm worried one bottle of whiskey won't be enough.

Reading the BBC blog again, lots of 'everyone is grey and miserable, uninspired campaign, why bother' bullshit going around. And no mention of Johnson hiding in a fridge, naturally, just uncritical milk round shots.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

Reminder that he's the MP who thought he could stop the Brexit delay by asking the Polish government to veto it because he's Polish.

Ah yes, the Tory MP who tried to get a foreign government to interfere in the decisions of our parliament and boasted about doing so. Nothing really came of that, funnily enough.

:thermidor:

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I went to university with Emma Barnett. In Freshers Week she ran to be the student representative to the faculty and made a speech claiming she had been head girl at her school. She had not, in fact, been head girl at her school. Also she used to move required reading books around the short loan section of the library to make sure she could get them.

Thank you for reading my Emma Barnett stories.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Why does your dad being a pimp and trafficker make you bad?

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Wow, maybe she didn't literally mean sausages :stare:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

peanut- posted:

It's irrational but I can't help hating these people more than actual Tories.

https://twitter.com/rafaelbehr/status/1204664854264586241

Guardian writers by and large are collaborators and deserve as much hate as the Tories.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Azza Bamboo posted:

Depends how often you're caught collaborating with him.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Azza Bamboo posted:

Knowing your dad ran brothels with trafficked women and doing nothing about it is bad

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It took me a lot longer than it should have to get that. Even that seems like such innocent ancient history nowadays.

I don't get it

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Azza Bamboo posted:

Some people aspire to be pimps and traffickers

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

tithin posted:

I don't get it

Yewtree IIRC was the name of a big nonce investigation.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

tithin posted:

I don't get it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Yewtree

quote:

Operation Yewtree is a police investigation into sexual abuse allegations, predominantly the abuse of children, against the British media personality Jimmy Savile and others. The investigation, led by the Metropolitan Police Service, started in October 2012. After a period of assessment it became a full criminal investigation, involving inquiries into living people, notably other celebrities,[1] as well as Savile.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Emma Barnett's dad did bad things but she was a teenager when it was happening and it's a bit much to blame someone for not properly reporting crimes of their own father imo

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Does say something about the environment she considers normal though.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Very bad idea also to get on at her personally, because you know it could be used against Labour. She's from an Orthodox Jewish background, according to Wikipedia, so it could be bad from that angle too.

Also it's just not nice to do personal attacks.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

If we all started reporting our parents sex slaves businesses where would we be? Typical red tape strangling a promising SME

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

CyberPingu posted:

Who has their xmas party on a Thursday?

Lots of people. What's the fun if you can't go into work the next day clutching your head and either being embarrassed or having fun embarrassing someone who got in a clinch over the photocopier with someone unexpected!

Igotadigbick posted:

I dont have a tv licence and got rid of anything remotely close to broadcast tv/on demand stuff since I just watch youtube. Is there any good known youtubey type places to watch the votes roll in tomorrow evening that wont impinge on my strict 'dont give tv licence people any excuse ever' policy? I am the kind of masochist that wants to watch every moment roll in sort of because the last two times I've slept through the fanfare we've ended up with tories

Might be worth checking out Al Jazeera or RT online to see if they are? Podcast are going all through the night though obviously it's not visual. And as someone else suggested, this thread.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

quote:

Just reading Thomas Cromwell by Tracy Borman and came across this regarding the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1538: “Although the king promised to use his newly won gains to build many new churches and cathedrals, there is only evidence that he erected six. Instead, most of the lands from the dissolved monasteries were sold off to the nobles as a way of securing their loyalty and generating more funds.” Plus ça change…
Rick Barker
Stocksfield, Northumberland

from https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/10/johnsons-phone-snatch-shows-his-smash-and-grab-tendencies

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Jose posted:

When will people learn about non-binding referendums

https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/1204707481668206592?s=19

I find everything to do with png really interesting. If any of you get the time watch this doc. It's amazing. (Apologies for the quality).

From the blurb:

"This is the modern-day story of a native peoples' remarkable victory over Western Colonial power. A Pacific island rose up in arms against giant mining corporation Rio Tinto Zinc (RTZ) - and won despite a military occupation and blockade. When RTZ decided to step up production at the Panguna Mine on the island of Bougainville, they got more than they bargained for."

[video type=""]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=1Sl8KJDOqK4&app=desktop&bpctr=1576064673[/video]

e- You need to sign in to watch it so I can't embed I think.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It took me a lot longer than it should have to get that. Even that seems like such innocent ancient history nowadays.

someone posted the Harry potter neoliberalism rant and I was reading it like, oh man this takes me back to 2010, then I realized it was less than two years old.

is there a name for this phenomena? like the opposite of when someone posts eg "9/11 is old enough to drink!" and all the old timers groan. I keep going "2018 was only last year!?! gently caress me I'm young"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

CoolCab posted:

someone posted the Harry potter neoliberalism rant and I was reading it like, oh man this takes me back to 2010, then I realized it was less than two years old.

is there a name for this phenomena? like the opposite of when someone posts eg "9/11 is old enough to drink!" and all the old timers groan. I keep going "2018 was only last year!?! gently caress me I'm young"

Time dilation.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I hope this weather holds for polling day.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I mean, if you're a teenager and your dad's a crime lord, I can see why you might not want to rock the boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

https://twitter.com/DavidGauke/status/1204348269322809344?s=09