Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

TheLastRoboKy posted:

My brain giveth and it taketh away.

A perfectly normal reaction to Tengu. You can learn their patterns but the game will still put them in places that makes all that learning less than useful.

Like next to another annoying enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
What is a polearm, but a staff that knows how to accessorize?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

IMJack posted:

What is a polearm, but a staff that knows how to accessorize?

holy poo poo

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Giving a character a rat for a spirit animal seems more than a tad symbolic. And speaking of rats, Redwall, totally okay not using bladed weapons except for THE SWORD OF LEGEND and you know, dumping hot cooking oil on enemies instead :supaburn:

Cooked Auto posted:

That "Pacman on crack clip" hasn't been erased. It's from AMV Hell 0 in this case. I recall the rest of that clipshow wasn't that great.

And for those that weren't born before 2000 *crumbles into ash*, that sound clip's from this song (heavily :nws:):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2NFl86LX3Q

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Episode 17

First up Spider Warning this episode has lots of spiders in it so if you're scared of spiders don't even scroll down to the yokai list because there's motherfucking spiders down there. There'll be spider enemies dotted throughout the rest of the game but this one is just one giant long spider house so maybe go take a non-spider related walk and imagine William just set the entire place on fire from a distance and everyone was happy with it.

For everyone else please enjoy a pretty cool stage!

Episode 17: “Spider Nest Castle” - Youtube | Polsy

Characters

Torii Mototada – The first impressions one can get of this aging samurai is of a stubborn old man, and this first impression is entirely correct. Yet within this Tokugawa retainer's heart is a fierce loyalty that cannot be moved by anything known, and this stubbornness has steered the Tokugawa through a great many battles.
Entry 1: Travel to the Kinki region

Ii Naomasa – Born the son of a disgraced retainer of the Imagawa clan, Naomasa was adopted into a small clan protected by the Tokugawa, known as the Ii. As it was Tokugawa Ieyasu that rescued Naomasa and gave him to the Ii, the red-clad warrior fearlessly leads his cavalry in his lord's name and his body bears a great many scars as a result
Entry 1: Travel to the Kinki region

Matsunaga Hisahide – Regarded as the greatest villain of the Sengoku Era, Matsunaga Hisahide perished when at long last Oda Nobunaga had tired of the duplicitous lord's betrayals. Yet even this man who betrayed his own clan, burned down a temple and slew a Shogun had another side to him, one that appreciated art and ceremony. So it is that even after death one can find Hisahide maintaining one of the old traditions of his nation.
Entry 1: Complete “Spider Nest Castle”
Entry 2: Collect all Hiragumo Pieces in “Spider Nest Castle”

Yokai

Spider – It is not unheard of that Amrita can be absorbed by animals, who are then distorted by its influence and turned into man-eating monsters. In this case the humble spider has become a terrifying creature that attempts to bind its victims within its webbing so that they may feed on their life essence. Their sizes range wildly depending on the degree of Amrita absorbed, with some being so large they could drag down a horse.
Entry 1

Joro-Gumo – When the Oda army crushed Matsunaga Hisahide's rebellion a great deal of negative emotions were left behind in their wake. The fates of all those who died with regrets or anger in their heart were bound together as though they were strands of a great web, and all were drawn to the center of this web where fragments of Hisahide's beloved tea set Hiragumo rested. As a foci for all this negative energy the Hiragumo became a fearsome Yokai bearing the upper body of a noblewoman and the lower body of a massive spider.
Entry 1

Guardian Spirits
Itokuri

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Do you want to imagine hell? Imagine fighting a Flying Bolt and a Wind Tengu at the same time. Better yet, imagine fighting a Wind Tengu and a Nue at the same time.

Oh wait, no, you don't have to imagine that, because these two poor fucks are going to have to do far worse than both of those things.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

you mean roboky will, my rear end is drinking beer.

AND THAT'S JUST HOW I LIKES IT

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I also choose to believe Matsunaga Hisahide was just an insanely stubborn rear end in a top hat who was really dedicated to maintaining his particular brand of rudeness and gave zero fucks, for good or ill. Well, mostly for ill, but this is true of many tea pot dictators.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Xarbala posted:

I also choose to believe Matsunaga Hisahide was just an insanely stubborn rear end in a top hat who was really dedicated to maintaining his particular brand of rudeness and gave zero fucks, for good or ill. Well, mostly for ill, but this is true of many tea pot dictators.
Some interesting parallels can be drawn between him and Nobunaga.

Anyhow, this level, it's bad. Giant spiders as enemies as enemies show complete creative bankruptcy on the part of any dev, nevermind the excuse provided by the actual spider Yokai. The castle setting is cool but this is definitely not the last time we'll be going through a castle in Nioh and at points it frankly feels superflous.
Thankfully, Nioh gets pretty light on spiders from here on now and they're usually located in places you can reasonably expect a spider to be.
Also AFAIK they don't rappel which is just about the most loving terrifying thing you can depict a spider doing.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

Some interesting parallels can be drawn between him and Nobunaga.

Anyhow, this level, it's bad. Giant spiders as enemies as enemies show complete creative bankruptcy on the part of any dev, nevermind the excuse provided by the actual spider Yokai. The castle setting is cool but this is definitely not the last time we'll be going through a castle in Nioh and at points it frankly feels superflous.
Thankfully, Nioh gets pretty light on spiders from here on now and they're usually located in places you can reasonably expect a spider to be.
Also AFAIK they don't rappel which is just about the most loving terrifying thing you can depict a spider doing.

They do however drop on you from above and attack your face which is pretty horrific and scares the poo poo out of you if you're not watching the ceiling 90% of the time like I do. But I do like the level, though it's more of a case of us exploring what happened there less than the actual castle layout itself? It does a good job with its Amrita memory narrative flying through it. I don't mind the spiders so much, I like the way the eggs are little living land-mines of trouble and they train you fairly well for the boss who is honestly a hella fun fight.

Coolguye posted:

you mean roboky will, my rear end is drinking beer.

AND THAT'S JUST HOW I LIKES IT

The drinking may be increased for next time cause it's Axe Man in the next episode.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

TheLastRoboKy posted:

They do however drop on you from above and attack your face which is pretty horrific and scares the poo poo out of you if you're not watching the ceiling 90% of the time like I do.
So do I (courtesy of fairly strong arachnophobia) but I do appreciate that most of those ceilings are empty. Still think the game would be better off without spiders but I don't really mind them as much as in games that take the care to model actual spider movements on walls and in the air.
Will admit to playing through the cave section of this level with buttocks thoroughly clenched, though.

I also find having plenty of ammunition helps - there are very few situations where you have to trigger a spider ambush as opposed to getting the first shot in; that's good design.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Xarbala posted:

but this is true of many tea pot dictators.
ok this is a drat good one

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, yeah, one thing I forgot to mention: IIRC this Joro-Gumo is armored as well - as long as you do not collect all the fragments. The armor removal is your gameplay reward.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 11, 2019

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

Oh, yeah, one thing I forgot to mention: IIRC this Joro-Gumo is armored as well - as long as you do not collect all the fragments. The armor removal is your gameplay reward.

This outs me as someone who always gets all the fragments every single run including my very first one!

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Ironically, my key to beating the AXE MAN on my first run through the game was through using Axe in Low Stance. Axe in Low Stance turns you into ASTAROTH from Soul Calibur, and you fight AXE MAN on a bridge.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Fivemarks posted:

Ironically, my key to beating the AXE MAN on my first run through the game was through using Axe in Low Stance. Axe in Low Stance turns you into ASTAROTH from Soul Calibur, and you fight AXE MAN on a bridge.

oh don't worry roboky has exactly the most roboky strat for it and it will turn me into a molten salt reactor

i powered a small town for a week

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Roboky, please don't try to beat the AXE MAN by parries.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Episode 18

In today's episode I fight AXE MAN but also we actually talk a bit about that enemy I kinda ran over unceremoniously in a previous video and you get to see what her deal actually is. We also reveal the identity of the AXE MAN. Anyone who has played Nioh please feel free to tell us how this fight against AXE MAN makes you feel.

Episode 18: William versus AXE MAN - Youtube | Polsy

Characters

Matsunaga Hisahide
Entry 3: Complete “The Disappearing Ranjatai”

Yokai

Flying Bolt – A ghost yokai that resembles a woman garbed in an endlessly winding bolt of cotton cloth, though it is safer to consider the cloth an actual part of the Flying Bolt's being. The combination of a cloth that can extend long distances with the yokai manipulating every fiber of its being effortlessly means that few can escape this fiend's reach, one that tangles about its prey and slows their struggles.
Entry 1

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yup, that's how I beat him too.
Mind you, that took a couple of hours.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 19, 2019

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

MOLTEN
SALT
REACTOR

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
:allears: I'm so glad you mentioned FFXIV's Gilgamesh, and even used that image for the update.

Also RIP Coolguye's entire existence

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

Yup, that's how I beat him too.
Mind you, that took a couple of hours.

Most of the time I beat him without resorting to pushing him into the water but it's a hilarious trick the Tonfa can pull off cause it's faster than the desperation move. Definitely possible with other weapons but hugely easy with the Tonfa, and I knew the moment he fell in that Coolguy would become:

Coolguye posted:

MOLTEN
SALT
REACTOR

Yapping Eevee posted:

:allears: I'm so glad you mentioned FFXIV's Gilgamesh, and even used that image for the update.

Also RIP Coolguye's entire existence

I couldn't not mention him, he's way too fun and memorable. The update image was almost Kamen Rider Ghosts Benkei form because I knew almost no one would get it bit I got worried people might go check out Kamen Rider Ghost and haunt me for it.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I just waited for him to do that one high stance swing and then parry him to death before I get Gun Build. Doing it your way only ever happened once in all my runs, so I completely forgot about it until just now.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Thanks, I hate it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I couldn't not mention him, he's way too fun and memorable. The update image was almost Kamen Rider Ghosts Benkei form because I knew almost no one would get it bit I got worried people might go check out Kamen Rider Ghost and haunt me for it.

would've been a crime more dire than tonfa

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Episode 19

Episode 19: Falling Snow - Youtube | Polsy

Merry Christmas everyone! I'll do a proper set of update materials tomorrow while I'm recovering from food and drink in typical boxing day fashion. For now please enjoy a winter wonderland that we usually see depicted as a giant inferno!

Characters

Tenkai – Fuku's mentor and the most adept Onymo Mage of the era, much of Tenkai's past is shrouded in mystery. His motivations however, are not in doubt. What Tenkai seeks is the nothing less than an absolute balance between light and darkness, that must be maintained so that the world of man may be protected from the corruptive influence of Amrita.
Entry 1: Complete “Falling Snow”

Amrita Memories

People
The Ringleader from “Spider Nest Castle”
Nobunaga's Demise from “Falling Snow”

Background
Castle of Decay from “Spider Nest Castle”
Tsukumogami from “Spider Nest Castle”
The Frozen Castle from “Falling Snow”

Yokai

Snowclops – One-Eyed Oni are typically created from the primal elements of nature mingled with the power of Amrita, and so it is some are born from the great tremendous fury of a snowstorm and become powerful elementals of ice. This difference in origin grants this Oni some measure of power tied to snow, but their overwhelming strength is still their most dangerous asset.
Entry 1

Yuki-onna – In places where snowstorms are common, there are stories of ghostly maidens that may come across travellers in the wilderness and attempt to lure them to their death. More stories posit that the Yuki-onna themselves are the ones who cause fierce snowstorms to occur, though to create one out of season would indicate a spirit of incredible power.
Entry 1

Guardian Spirits

Usura-hicho

TheLastRoboKy fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Dec 26, 2019

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

This is where the level design (and difficulty!) really go up a notch. It's just "ice castle", but it looks nice, is the opposite of what you'd expect as they mentioned, and NO ICE PHYSICS :woop:

Yuki-Onna is a massive roadblock, I don't fault anyone for stopping there.

It didn't really get mentioned, but much like Kappas were blamed for drowning deaths, Yuki-Onnas were blamed for what we know as hypothermia. People suffering from hypothermia often take off their clothes as they feel too hot, and, well...

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Dec 25, 2019

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

We do talk about the nature of Yuki-onna and hypothermia in the next episode, I mostly just exploded her too fast this time to do it. I've also updated the update post to contain the necessary info, and remembered I forgot to include the lore entries from the previous main mission so I whacked them into this latest update post too PLEASE ENJOY THE READING.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Bellmaker posted:

Yuki's one thing, but if I could ever stop getting loving lost... Every snowy path looks the same !

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Bellmaker posted:

This is where the level design (and difficulty!) really go up a notch. It's just "ice castle", but it looks nice, is the opposite of what you'd expect as they mentioned, and NO ICE PHYSICS :woop:

FWIW, this is the easy Yuki-Onna fight.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Episode 20

Episode 20: “Demon Hunting” “The Malefactors” and “The Red Oni of the Ii” - Youtube | Polsy

Happy New Year everyone! Let's enter the new year and prove it's not so different to the old one by having a famous warrior of the Sengoku Era feed me my own teeth.
Fun fact: Today's update picture I went to find a ridiculous version of Ii Naomasa's helmet and discovered the ridiculous version of is helmet is the version he actually wore.

Characters

Ii Naomasa
Entry 2: Clear “Demon Hunting”
Entry 3: Clear “The Red Oni of the Ii”
Entry 4: Defeat Ii Naomasa three times

Matsunaga Hisahide
Entry 4: Clear “The Malefactors”

Yokai

Spider
Entry 2

Guardian Spirits

Enko

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Jesus Christ, brother, the name on this episode nearly killed me

Neflame
Aug 26, 2013
I'm very very happy to see this game getting the treatment it deserves in this fashion mostly as someone who is big into this part of history. And this ordeal you two have embarked upon inspired me to get off my tuckus and actually play through it again.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Naomasa is the new spokesperson for Tiger Balm.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Episode 21

Episode 21: The Demon of Mount Hiei - Youtube | Polsy

Hitting another stop on Oda Nobunaga's Atrocitour we come to Mount Hiei, a former holdout for Buddhist dissidents that served as an example towards others who thought that running back to base made them safe in Sengoku Tag.

It didn't.

Amrita Memories

People

Those Drawn to the Shadows from “The Demon of Mount Hiei”

Background

Mount Hiei In Flames from “The Demon of Mount Hiei”

Yokai

Fox Spirit – Like many creatures exposed to Amrita, it is possible for a Fox to become a Yokai. Intelligent and sly, Fox Spirits are capable spell-casters that can wield various elements to attack their enemy. The older one of these Yokai gets the more powerful they become, their age and rank denoted by the number of tails that they have grown.
Entry 1

Nue
Entry 2

White Tiger – Within many parts of Asia there have been myths based around guardian entities that reside within the four cardinal directions, and occupying the West is a powerful white-furred tiger. This Yokai's incarnation has resulted from the tremendous amounts of negative energy sealed within Mount Hiei being released, absorbed into a Guardian Spirit and transforming it into a dangerous god-beast.
Entry 1

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Still can't get over how stupid Fuku's outfit is - don't tell me that's something priestesses actually wore.
It's not even the lack of pants, I think the worst offender is that hat.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jan 8, 2020

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

anilEhilated posted:

Still can't get over how stupid Fuku's outfit is - don't tell me that's something priestesses actually wore.
It's not even the lack of pants, I think the worst offender is that hat.

I'm pretty sure Mikos wore pants. The hat is real though. China and Japan both have an impressive record wrt stupid historical hats. Even factoring the Napoleonic era and the Pope(s), we cannot possibly touch them on that front.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Kobal2 posted:

I'm pretty sure Mikos wore pants. The hat is real though. China and Japan both have an impressive record wrt stupid historical hats. Even factoring the Napoleonic era and the Pope(s), we cannot possibly touch them on that front.
That´s pretty impressive, considering how one of the Catholic church´s cornerstones seems to be that "the more important you are, the bigger the hat".

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Kobal2 posted:

Mikos do wear hakama (or skirts), as do quite a lot of traditional institutions in Japan (kendo uniforms, for a big example). Hakama have openings at the upper thighs because they are tied closed at the waist or ribcage, but any skin is usually covered by the kimono/gi/shirt worn under them (like tucking a long shirt into your pants). Super big openings showing the whole bare thigh like that are just for eyecandy, like the classic exaggerated sexy nurse uniforms.

Aside from the amount of skin she's showing, Fuku is wearing something that someone in her profession would actually wear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Sylphosaurus posted:

That´s pretty impressive, considering how one of the Catholic church´s cornerstones seems to be that "the more important you are, the bigger the hat".

Oh, of course they have the same principle. But their big hats get *way* more silly IMO. Behold ! Behold some more ! Never stop beholding !