Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

VideoGames posted:

Thank you. It truly means a lot to me when people say stuff like this (and I always struggle with it). I know that a lot of mods and whatnot have not done great in SA and the site itself is a tough one, but helping out makes Games a fun place to chat about games has always been something I enjoyed.

You're just too bloody nice VG :glomp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
https://twitter.com/theJeremyVine/status/1204717963993063424

"I didn't think he'd refuse to do MY show"

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

so will this fridge thing "matter" or is British politics like American where literally everyone has already gone full ride or die for their chosen candidate no matter what

I think it will. We're in the last days of an election campaign and the story is that Boris is a cowardly feckless loser and anyone who pretends otherwise is in his pocket. The fridge thing just adds to that, and like other incidents is spawning endless mockery and memes. This is humiliating for the Tories, and it's going to hurt when people vote :getin:

Edit: Hey look, more cowardice! :D ^^^

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Stormgale posted:

People noticed FYAD was literally posting Transphobic and homophobic poo poo.

Yeah there's a reason nobody sane touches FYAD/BYOB in The Year Of Our Lord 2019. Always been surprised they were still around when the rest of the forums had long moved on.

Graun have posted a counter article to the "Whhhhhy can't we just all be sensible Centerists mommie" article.

quote:

Just as journalists need to take a step back from the cacophony of the campaigns, so too should voters. The last days of the campaign have revealed the decline and death of conservatism, usurped by the radical right. The Tories no longer claim that Brexit is the route to a better Britain, but instead claim that they are the only solution to the calamity and chaos of their own creation. They have become even more extreme on immigration – no longer simply stoking fear that more immigrants would arrive, but attempting to turn neighbours into strangers by asserting that EU migrants had for too long been able to “treat the UK as if it’s part of their own country”.

So in its methods and its message, the new Tory political formulation is strongly redolent of what the political theorist Hannah Arendt described as the “alliance of the elite and the mob” in her landmark work the Origins of Totalitarianism. It is not an accident but a deliberate strategy. And as a result, it demands a strategic response. The only way to resist this dark turn in British politics is to establish a new alliance of the left and the centre that is capable of denying the Tories a majority. The best way to encourage all those that abhor Johnson’s politics to vote tactically is for them to understand that it is part of a wider strategy.

What is challenging is that for such an alliance to form, the centre must accept the leadership of the left. This is not simply a pragmatic conclusion because Labour’s leaders are long-time leftists. It is more fundamental than that. Only the left has the answers to the problems in the economy and society that exist today. The scale of the challenges – from climate breakdown to inequality – demands a scale of response that a managerial centre with its scepticism of structural change cannot offer. Moreover, a decade after the financial crash, the centre has comprehensively failed to renew itself, having allowed resistance to Brexit to fill the void where politics should belong. Only the left offers the answers to today’s problems.

But the centre of politics is hamstrung by a strong cultural resistance to acceptance of left leadership. After dominating politics for a generation, a sense of entitlement courses strongly through centrists, many of whom are yet to find acceptance for their diminished status. At the same time, the more sectarian parts of the left have reasserted themselves, reserving special venom for centrists as payback for their own marginalisation for decades. These dynamics have been most obvious over Brexit, where remainers realised too late that they needed the Labour party, and the Labour party realised too late that it needed remainers. The left and the centre need a last-minute reconciliation at the ballot box.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/dec/11/left-defeat-tory-lies-centre-hard-right-change-tactical-voting

Do not, I cannot emphasise this enough, read the comments. Especially the guy who claimed he voted Remain to ensure the 'hard left' never got into power, and that's why he is now voting for Boris.

My brain hurts.

Couple of other good articles too, from domestic violence protestors and a doctor breaking his contract to diss Boris. Just a shame it's too little too late to save them from Levenson 2: The gulaging.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

RockyB posted:

Yeah there's a reason nobody sane touches FYAD/BYOB in The Year Of Our Lord 2019. Always been surprised they were still around when the rest of the forums had long moved on.

Graun have posted a counter article to the "Whhhhhy can't we just all be sensible Centerists mommie" article.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/dec/11/left-defeat-tory-lies-centre-hard-right-change-tactical-voting

Do not, I cannot emphasise this enough, read the comments. Especially the guy who claimed he voted Remain to ensure the 'hard left' never got into power, and that's why he is now voting for Boris.

My brain hurts.

Couple of other good articles too, from domestic violence protestors and a doctor breaking his contract to diss Boris. Just a shame it's too little too late to save them from Levenson 2: The gulaging.

I thought byob was alright, just dumb low effort shitposting without the edgy faux-4chan garbage

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

RockyB posted:

My brain hurts.

Kibasi is spared the gulag, he's a good egg.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

so will this fridge thing "matter" or is British politics like American where literally everyone has already gone full ride or die for their chosen candidate no matter what
A lot of people decide who they're voting for surprisingly late in the campaign, and the fridge thing is loving absurd and fits into a wider narrative of Johnson being a bottling coward. I suspect it will have some impact.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
VG is clearly a traitor, switching from red to blue at the last minute...

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

James Hetfield is great, such a wallopper
"Don't Tread On Me, I love the song, but it shocked a lot of people, because everyone thought it was pro-war when they thought we were anti-war, and alls we're doing is writing songs, we're not standing politically on any side. "

Both sidesing war is pretty dope.

I mean we shouldn't be surprised that a wannabe professional tennis player and the kid of hardcore Christians turned into Tory pieces of poo poo as soon as they got successful but you have to wonder if Cliff could at least have smacked them around a bit if he'd lived.

Come to think of it his death hosed up two of my favourite bands because Jim Martin drunk himself straight out of Faith No More at least partially because of the death of his best friend and let Mike Patton turn them into a Mr. Bungle tribute act.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/TheIDSmiths/status/1204739903352967171

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Media people are often so slobberingly deferential because they want to preserve access, but if boris is just “lol, no I’m not coming on” anyway, I guess there’s not much stopping the media from getting a bit shirty with him next time

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Mike Patton has more talent in one of his faeces-stained molars than Jim Martin displayed in his whole career. Fight me.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

loving hell he works fast.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpvIpfPVYKM

He opens with "Don't worry, I'm not here to deliver milk, or hide in a fridge."

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

XMNN posted:

#sackthebbc

if only there were a way to broadcast someone swearing without the swearing but unfortunately they don't have access to any sort of software for editing video/audio so :shrug:

Audio friends, please make a meme editing the video to show Boris' aide saying something like "Oh, for hugs' sake!"

Audio editing is on my list of skills to start learning at some point :D

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.

Sanford posted:

gently caress mate I hope you're right. things have got pretty bad pretty fast with my wife's mental health and we really, really need something positive. She's not really engaged with politics before now but she's obsessed this time and keeps arguing with people on twitter which makes her cry and she won;t loving stop. A win will be so good for her, on so many levels.

This was a few pages back but I just wanted to express solidarity with you and your wife. I dont wanna get too heavy on detail but part of my MH is I tend to get a bit obsessive and pin The Whole Entire Fate Of The World onto things so like... I get it. It's especially hard when it comes to politics because it obviously loving is important, too.

I hope this doesn't come across patronising but try to encourage her to ask herself if its helpful, for herself or even for the broader movement, to mess herself up doing this. I used to be one of those people who spent all their time on twitter arguing with TERFs because it felt like Doing Something but like, I wasn't changing anyone's minds, I was just retraumatising myself over and over.

For me personally if I feel the need to act up online its usually because I'm feeling powerless or lonely so I've kind of trained myself to go: okay I don't actually want to yell at this clown. I actually just feel lovely for these other, much bigger reasons so I need to do something to address those feelings, or even just switch off for an hour or so, and I can think about what I need to do about them when I'm more stable.

Sometimes if I catch myself early enough I can channel the feeling into something actually productive (I organised volunteering over Christmas just this morning bc I was feeling one of those spirals coming on), other times it's just like, okay I literally just need to put my phone down and go make a cup of coffee or reorganise my bookshelf or ANYTHING just so I am away from poo poo long enough for my brain to stop looping.

bionic vapour boy fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Dec 11, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
:swinson:

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

ThomasPaine posted:

I thought byob was alright, just dumb low effort shitposting without the edgy faux-4chan garbage

To be honest I'm still pissed that You Look Like poo poo was renamed weight and watch. Great fan of the GBS reform act though.

Politics, office politics, forum politics, just can't get away from the damned politics.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

This election is the first one to actually affect my dreams. The night before last I dreamed the Tories got a majority. Last night it was a hung Parliament and Corbyn was negotiating with the Lib Dems.

Hopefully this trajectory continues. Glorious Labour victory by Thursday, eh?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

reignonyourparade posted:

When faced with the prospect of a Labour-SNP coalition, conservative nationalists decided "actually I don't want independence THAT much."

Lmao that's the opposite of what happened.

A decrease in turnout for the SNP and a revitalised unionist brexit block meant a bunch of places split between the snp and labour went tory.

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

Braggart posted:

I think it will. We're in the last days of an election campaign and the story is that Boris is a cowardly feckless loser and anyone who pretends otherwise is in his pocket. The fridge thing just adds to that, and like other incidents is spawning endless mockery and memes. This is humiliating for the Tories, and it's going to hurt when people vote :getin:

Edit: Hey look, more cowardice! :D ^^^

I agree with this. Conservatives despise a show of weakness more than anything else. This, foreshadowed by all his other debate-dodging, could be enough to push a bigger fraction of tribal Tory voters who are otherwise not especially enthusiastic about Boris (or their failure to deliver Brexit or whatever) into staying home in disgust.

And as we know, consistent turnout is a Tory strength, so undermining that could make a significant contribution.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I mean we shouldn't be surprised that a wannabe professional tennis player and the kid of hardcore Christians turned into Tory pieces of poo poo as soon as they got successful but you have to wonder if Cliff could at least have smacked them around a bit if he'd lived.

Come to think of it his death hosed up two of my favourite bands because Jim Martin drunk himself straight out of Faith No More at least partially because of the death of his best friend and let Mike Patton turn them into a Mr. Bungle tribute act.
Ah, Jim Martin, the guy who described Angel Dust as "gay disco". Can't honestly say I think Faith No More were worse off without him. Because as much as I have a fondness for The Real Thing, it's so primitive compared to the stuff that came after it.

But then I'll readily admit that Mr Bungle are an all-time favourite of mine & I seriously contemplated selling most of my belongings to fly to the US to get tickets for their reunion shows, & I'm not sure that there's much of Patton's work post-FNM which I haven't liked: Tomahawk, Lovage, Peeping Tom, Fantomas, hell, he even helped introduce me to Dillinger Escape Plan by collabing with them on Irony Is A Dead Scene. Dead Cross are great too.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Tarnop posted:

Mike Patton has more talent in one of his faeces-stained molars than Jim Martin displayed in his whole career. Fight me.

Name the loving car park. the battle will be... Epic.

(I do actually appreciate Patton's talents but Real Thing-era Faith No More - where those talents were balanced with Jim's thrash sensibilities and the ghost of Chuck's hip-hop - were loving amazing, and they turned into an unfocused mess as soon as Jim checked out halfway through Angel Dust)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Jel Shaker posted:

The MRP polling methodology is some peak “people are homoeconomicus” stuff

Generally I consider homo economics to mean dual income no kids

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

New favourite Jezza video

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1204728905766227969

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.
Lmao christ, everyones fav Laura K just casually breaking electoral law here
https://twitter.com/Carolin31152898/status/1204748359963234304
(She claims she's seen the postal votes and it looks bad for Labour)

bionic vapour boy fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Dec 11, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

this is an LF meme right?

https://twitter.com/jewdas/status/1204754521781678081?s=20

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Both sides being Boris' face and Boris' arse

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Nah it's a dril paraphrase.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

bionic vapour boy posted:

Lmao christ, everyones fav Laura K just casually breaking electoral law here
https://twitter.com/Carolin31152898/status/1204748359963234304
(She claims she's seen the postal votes and it looks bad for Labour)

I hate to have to defend her but she clearly says that people who have seen them say this. Parties are allowed to look at the postal votes as they arrive and while they're not supposed to count them there's nothing stopping them from getting an impression of the mix of votes, and certainly nothing stopping them saying things like "it looks good" or "it looks bad".

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
gonna put on seven nation army and chant "oh jeremy corbyn" intermittently from now till the results come in. the rest is up to you, uk posters

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Hmm...

https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/1204742013465309184?s=20

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I hate to have to defend her but she clearly says that people who have seen them say this. Parties are allowed to look at the postal votes as they arrive and while they're not supposed to count them there's nothing stopping them from getting an impression of the mix of votes, and certainly nothing stopping them saying things like "it looks good" or "it looks bad".

I don't think the head of BBC politics should be reporting it instead of the rally she's attending

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

dril came out of lf, so yeah, sure

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Pretty sure intentionally trying to sepress turnout like that on TV isn't good

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Laura Kuenssberg's Tory sources are telling her it looks good for the Tories... stop the loving presses.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's a tad leading, though, as she obviously thinks people will go, well, that's that, then. She don kno how we throw down

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

My bad yeah I got a bit caught up in The Twitter Furore about it, having just done a big post, about not doing that.

Still pretty loving dodgy but yeah I was off the mark

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

It's also not even really news, lots of old people are both Tories and postal voters. There's a wave of blue poo poo in the postal ballots and that should be already accounted for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpvIpfPVYKM

He opens with "Don't worry, I'm not here to deliver milk, or hide in a fridge."

Pictured: Actor Jo "Jo;" Swinzone-Kilsquirrel starring in the upcoming Margaret Thatcher biopic

Pictured: Actor Alexander de "Boris" de "Johnson" de Pfeffel-Bozza starring in his latest porno

Pictured: Actor Timothy "Frogsworth" Farron-Whymper starring in endless milk commercials because he needs the money

Pictured: Actor Nigel "The Face" Fraudage-Fashy starring in his latest porno

Pictured: Actor Jezza "Magic Grandpa" Phwoarbyn starring in his latest vegetarian porno

Edit:

Braggart fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Dec 11, 2019