Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
VG is a good mod. Thanks for being you VG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Vids always gives probes to the posters I don't like - thus objectively proving they're a great mod.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
He's a complete monster in the mod forums

jk videogames

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
VG is a good mod and person, and I hope they will be around to react to all my great Kirby pictures for years to come :3:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Right, signed up for GOTV in Chingford. I feel like the possible scalp of IDS is worth the psychological trauma of going outside the North Circular.

Oh, i might join you, it's near me. Trouble is i only have the morning off tomorrow (meetings) so I'm looking for the earliest possible efforts - don't mind going out at 7am to leaflet-bomb. But the earliest stuff i can find on mycampaignmap is 11am which is useless. I need to collect GOTV leaflets before then and have no idea where I'd gettem without meeting an 11am board runner

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
VG is a heartless monster who has extinguished the life from millions of planets by swallowing their suns but he also hates the fash so who can say whether he's good or bad

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Good read this, and highlights just how skewed the vox pops have been. Even if it does big up the *boo* *hiss* lib Dems.

quote:

Let me prove these claims. Certain constituencies have featured again and again in media coverage of the election, to reinforce the dominant media narrative, corresponding precisely to the government’s preferred election strategy, that working class Labour voters are deserting the party because of Brexit.

Unlike Dudley, Wokingham has not featured in any of the BBC’s vox pops. In safe Tory Berkshire, close to Johnson’s own Uxbridge constituency, John Redwood the MP for a generation, surely there is nothing to draw the BBC to Wokingham?

Except YouGov shows a swing from Tory to LibDem in Wokingham of 20.35%. Let me say that again, 20.35% swing from Tory to Lib Dem. That is one of the biggest swings in general election history (excluding freak circumstances like brand new parties). To give a comparison, Blair’s 1997 landslide, the benchmark for modern seismic general election movement, was achieved on a Tory to Labour swing of 9.7%.

Yet how many vox pops have you seen from Wokingham? What is happening there is perfectly plain. Brexit, the expulsion of moderate Conservative MPs and the hard right Tory stance on immigration and social services has caused a revulsion among liberal Tories from Johnson. In the UK as a whole, the swing against the Tories by liberal former Tory voters is every bit as large as the swing to the Tories in Brexit seats – hence the Tories are on almost exactly the same percentage overall as in 2017.

For every racist dullard voting for Johnson’s dog whistle racism, there is an urbane Tory in Wokingham or similar towns refusing to vote for him for the same reason. Yet our televisions and radios have for a month been crammed with literally hundreds of selected representatives of the former group and virtually nil of the latter group.

This is not an accident nor is it unimportant. The media – and the BBC have been most guilty of all – know very well what they are doing. It is deliberate reinforcement of the government’s campaign message. Featuring stream upon stream of working class voters saying they will vote Tory normalises the idea and plays to the popular desire to join the winning team.

Jedit posted:

Also postal votes are the province of the elderly so they never swing well for Labour. So yes, this is straight up the state broadcaster trying to sway the election. Get your complaints in because Kuntsberg is eligible for a nice cold cell.

See above. The attempts to run down the Labour vote from the BBC are other media sources really have been shocking.

E: Guns don't kill people, VideoGames do

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rarity posted:

VG is a heartless monster who has extinguished the life from millions of planets by swallowing their suns but he also hates the fash so who can say whether he's good or bad

Can't have fascism if everyone's dead.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

I dont want the hope. Don't do it to me again.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Please guys this is too much and I am at work so I do not want people to see me teary. I love you all, I love this thread, I love Games and I am hoping for a redwash tomorrow :heart:

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
If VideoGames was an actual video game, I would feel pretty okay about occasionally engaging with micro-transactions and would likely buy the DLC packs and not regret it.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Agreed. The best I've seen. It's sharpened my resolve even more.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Necrothatcher posted:

Vids always gives probes to the posters I don't like - thus objectively proving they're a great mod.

:same:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Maybe not the right place to ask, but that Momentum twitter video posted on the last page had it in - does anyone know why a lot of videos these days have the little coloured progress bars? That Momentum one had one for each little segment, resetting after each cut. Many videos on Facebook have it too - it's not the Facebook video progress bar, it's something the creators superimpose themselves on the video.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

https://twitter.com/themachineowl/status/1204705058409123840

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Rarity posted:

:thunk:
[e]:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 11, 2019

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Bardeh posted:

Maybe not the right place to ask, but that Momentum twitter video posted on the last page had it in - does anyone know why a lot of videos these days have the little coloured progress bars? That Momentum one had one for each little segment, resetting after each cut. Many videos on Facebook have it too - it's not the Facebook video progress bar, it's something the creators superimpose themselves on the video.

This is a guess, but I suspect it's easier to keep someone's attention if you're showing them multiple short segments, and these individual progress bars demonstrate your progress through each bit clearly and simply.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Heya folks I’m in sunny, beautiful Costa Rica with the girlfriend until the 20th.

When I left I was cautiously hopeful, expecting a hung parliament. Has anything dramatically changed in our favour? Should I try my best tomorrow to avoid election news?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Might be the best meme of the election tbh.

StoicFnord
Jul 27, 2012

"If you want to make enemies....try to change something."

College Slice

VideoGames posted:

Please guys this is too much and I am at work so I do not want people to see me teary. I love you all, I love this thread, I love Games and I am hoping for a redwash tomorrow :heart:

You are good people.. Don't ever forget that

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Calico Heart posted:

Heya folks I’m in sunny, beautiful Costa Rica with the girlfriend until the 20th.

When I left I was cautiously hopeful, expecting a hung parliament. Has anything dramatically changed in our favour? Should I try my best tomorrow to avoid election news?

There's no way of telling, but it definitely doesn't feel like a tory win is on the way. Frankly it could go either way.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Woo my morning leaflets arrived.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

FiftySeven posted:

If VideoGames was an actual video game, I would feel pretty okay about occasionally engaging with micro-transactions and would likely buy the DLC packs and not regret it.

I would give VideoGames a cautiously positive Steam review, and I can't think of higher praise than that.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I'm using my flipflopping mum as a Gammon Barometer for the whole election and yes it could still go either way but is currently pointing at a labour landslide

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Penguins know all about the poles

Excuse me, but as a representative of @factcheckUK I have to point out that this is not entirely accurate.

Penguins only know about the North Pole.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Braggart posted:

Excuse me, but as a representative of @factcheckUK I have to point out that this is not entirely accurate.

Penguins only know about the North Pole.

(other one, north is bears, south is no bears)

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Lmao they're gonnae close down ARE PUBS

https://twitter.com/TamsellicsonIII/status/1204519519760396294

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

You did it

You fucken did it

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

A bucket of green paint lands on Bozza's head as he opens a door to surprise some children as a photo op*.

*Allegations of surprising children not as a photo op are unfounded and libellous.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/Lowkey0nline/status/1204719998926766080

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

OwlFancier posted:

He did say @factcheckUK

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
This is fire

https://twitter.com/ToryFibs/status/1204769200885121025

Just doesn't give a poo poo.

In depth, but latest MRP is probably underestimating youth turnout by at least 15% by using 2015 figures.

https://twitter.com/centrist_phone/status/1204744914917117958

So there's a very good chance we're balls deep into hung parliament territory, if not better.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

The article posted:

Finally, remember that YouGove are an extremely Tory friendly pollster.

lol, nice.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
I sent a complaint to the BBC about the Laura K punch farrago, getting the following response:

quote:

Thank you for contacting us.

As the BBC’s Political Editor, a significant part of Laura Kuenssberg’s role is to keep our audience up to date with political events and stories as they happen. A key tool for doing this is social media, which allows her to report on breaking stories quickly. As is common journalistic practice, Laura often gains information from off the record sources, as was the case in this instance.

Once the video footage of this incident was available, Laura shared it on her Twitter so that people could see for themselves what had actually happened. She also reflected the Labour Party’s response to this story. Once it became apparent that the information she had been briefed was inaccurate, Laura deleted the initial tweet, clarified what had happened and apologised, as you can see below:
https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1204110491242643457

Thank you again for contacting us.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

:thejoke: :D

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/nedboulting/status/1204776490392604673?s=20

Even the nice commentator from ITV4's cycling coverage is very mildly & politely pointing out that Laura K is bad.

StoicFnord
Jul 27, 2012

"If you want to make enemies....try to change something."

College Slice
In the best moment at work this week a member of my team tried to talk election at the rest of us and spouted Fridgemaster bullshit and was promptly shut down by the other 7 as we listed how much of a shitheel he is.

If middle-class white software developers can see how much of a bastard BoJo is, then i have to have some hope.

(I know. Hope is a lie, but i have to Hope. I'm stuck in South East Cambridgeshire with Lucy Frazer in Tory central and i want to just cry)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

mediadave posted:

I sent a complaint to the BBC about the Laura K punch farrago, getting the following response:

Exactly the same response I got, to the word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

I enjoy his Kirby avs.

e: VG, not IDS. His avs are poo poo.

Yeah, but his LPs are the poo poo.

Iain Duncan Wordsmith is comin' for you, poors!