Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Freezing rice is a good way to make it last overnight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Oops wrong thread

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

For reheating rice it’s important to get it hot enough. It will have that chalky texture until you get it evenly hot enough that it goes back to the cooked texture.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
Is the instant pot sous vide stick any good? I already have a duo and want to sous vide but dont want yet another device for my counter top.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
What is this thing called?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Azuth0667 posted:

Round bottom flask?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Wasn't there some talk recently about really good can openers that are built like tanks? Looking for a suggestion on one

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

captkirk posted:

Round bottom flask?

Sorry, I mean the holder. I all ready have an alcohol burner and flasks. I have no idea what that holder is called and can't seem to find them.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

couldcareless posted:

Wasn't there some talk recently about really good can openers that are built like tanks? Looking for a suggestion on one

Ez-duz-it
https://www.amazon.com/EZ-DUZ-Deluxe-Opener-Black-Grips/dp/B0071OUJDQ

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

couldcareless posted:

EZ DUZ IT. Made like the old Swingaway, but of good American steel.

https://smile.amazon.com/EZ-DUZ-Deluxe-Opener-Black-Grips/dp/B0071OUJDQ/

edit: HEY gently caress YOU CROAT I WILL KILL YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Azuth0667 posted:

I don’t know, but the only other place I’ve seen one was in a cafe called “coffee club” in Kyoto, Japan. Maybe try searching for percolators?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It’s a vacuum pot coffee maker

Kind of ingenious for something made in 1830:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5okwfBPz6s8

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

Lhet posted:

My partner has cooked rice on stovetop for years and I want to get them a nice rice cooker. Could anybody give some thoughts on the options below?

Looks like the Zojirushi NS-TSC10 and NS-TSC18 are generally recommended as the high end cookers, and both land around the $160 mark. I'm not really sure the difference between those though? Is one just a newer model with miniscule differences?
Not really sure where the NS-ZCC10 compares to those, it's about the same price, but...is prettier I guess?
The NP-HCC10XH looks to be the ultrapremium option, though not really sure if it's worth the extra $100 for keep warm setting, but I guess it being made in Japan gives the justification for that extra cost.
There are a couple others (Panasonic), but glancing around none of them really seem to stand out above the Zojirushi options. Any I should be considering?

Any advice would be fantastic.

I have the NS-ZCC10. Usually make between 1-3 cups dry rice and it takes ~45 minutes on the regular setting using 1.5x water to rice. Unless you really gently caress up the ratios it cooks the rice really well. This is using standard medium grain white rice, the brown rice mode takes forever, like an hour and a half, just fyi.

I dunno how to compare it to other rice cookers since it's what we had since I was a teen and then I bought my own when I moved so I've been using it for almost 20 years. It'll definitely last a long time though, mine is holding up pretty well after 7 years of weekly use and I know my mom's is 10+ years old and she uses it daily. Like SubG said though, if money is tight I doubt you could go wrong with one of the cheaper ones, I love mine.

MelancholyMark fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 11, 2019

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Lhet posted:

My partner has cooked rice on stovetop for years and I want to get them a nice rice cooker. Could anybody give some thoughts on the options below?

Looks like the Zojirushi NS-TSC10 and NS-TSC18 are generally recommended as the high end cookers, and both land around the $160 mark. I'm not really sure the difference between those though? Is one just a newer model with miniscule differences?
Not really sure where the NS-ZCC10 compares to those, it's about the same price, but...is prettier I guess?
The NP-HCC10XH looks to be the ultrapremium option, though not really sure if it's worth the extra $100 for keep warm setting, but I guess it being made in Japan gives the justification for that extra cost.
There are a couple others (Panasonic), but glancing around none of them really seem to stand out above the Zojirushi options. Any I should be considering?

Any advice would be fantastic.

I've had the Panasonic SR-DE103 going on nearly a decade now and it's still going strong.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
You guys got me looking at those Zojirushi rice cookers but holy hell they take an hour to three hours to make rice and aren't cheap. I've been making rice on the stove for years and have it perfected, I'll stick with that. If you don't want the trial and error of stovetop, I'd buy an Instant Pot and get it done in minutes. I've had several of those little Aromas and they do okay but the teflon inserts flake and the aluminum inserts burn.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Pressure cooker rice is better than non pressure cooked rice. It doesn't save much or any time, but it is a better end product.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Pressure cooker rice is better than non pressure cooked rice. It doesn't save much or any time, but it is a better end product.

I love making rice in my Instapot. For white rice I usually do 5 min on high pressure and 10 min natural release. Probably 30 min total. So I agree, not much faster, but it really is just dump it all in and it comes out perfect every time.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I make brown/black/wild rice in my IP because it saves time. I made white rice once and it must have been fine, I don't remember a bad experience.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
My take away on rice cookers is :There are tons of ways of getting better rice than a rice cooker. Rice cookers are a pure convenience appliance. You can turn out consistently good rice with no attention or involvement but they're only really "must haves" for people who buy rice in 20 lbs increments. For me they're a "nice to have if you have the money and inclination or just no spending control".

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I think all the people making a point about the cook time in a Zojirushi are just imagining the wrong workflow. I never put rice in the cooker when I want some and then sit around waiting for it to be ready. I put some rice in the cooker like whenever and then the rice sits around waiting for me to use it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It's a fuzzy hour too, 60 is the max.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Sportman posted:

I love making rice in my Instapot. For white rice I usually do 5 min on high pressure and 10 min natural release. Probably 30 min total. So I agree, not much faster, but it really is just dump it all in and it comes out perfect every time.

yeah I've never owned a truly fancy rice cooker but instantpot is remarkably easy and produces consistently great rice

i imagine the thing it's worse at is keeping it warm and not-dried-out for like, 48 hours or whatever the crazy length is that the zojirushis can do

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

They are also nice for cooking rice and making the main in the Instant Pot. (Butter chicken anyone?)

The panny one i have noted above will do a quick white rice in ~20m, or in about an hour. two for brown. It will also hold rice at food-safe temps for 48ish hours.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

It's a fuzzy hour too, 60 is the max.

Sorry do you mean that I can take the rice out earlier?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

Sorry do you mean that I can take the rice out earlier?

He means that it will finish in less than an hour and signal it's done. It's not a strict timer that controls it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I have a $10 rice cooker that's basically flawless. I never have to think about cooking rice again, it never takes up a burner on my stove when I'm already doing 3 other things, and it's small enough it takes up minimal storage/counter space. It does brown rice, basmati, quinoa, farro, barley, lentils, pilafs. I've had it for almost 10 years. Also, it was $10. Absolutely no regrets.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

captkirk posted:

He means that it will finish in less than an hour and signal it's done. It's not a strict timer that controls it.

Ah poo poo yeah that's what I figured but I've never had it adjust more than 2-3 min from 1 hour.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I've had https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SKTTHI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for about 4 years, grabbed it for something like $80. It works well and it makes enough rice to scale. Then again I've always subscribed to "you can't overfill it but you odn't need to fill it all the way" for anything with a pot.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Thanks for all the info. Probably going to go with https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IR8H2ZI/ (or maybe a size bigger, but I don't think we've ever needed to cook more than that)
Definitely more than needed, but we go through a lot of rice, so the difference should be appreciated.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

SubG posted:

I think all the people making a point about the cook time in a Zojirushi are just imagining the wrong workflow. I never put rice in the cooker when I want some and then sit around waiting for it to be ready. I put some rice in the cooker like whenever and then the rice sits around waiting for me to use it.

This was the approach my wife and I took when we were both working outside the home - load and program the Zoji while making breakfast, haul the contents for the crockpot out of the fridge and turn it on. Come back from work to the house full of cooking smells and dinner ready.

Lots of criticism of CrockPot cooking but it beat having to figure out dinner after a day at work. The rice was always good.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
If you're making one kind of rice, all the time, and that's your go-to rice, get the Aroma. It's a solid machine, it's $30, and it will sort you out right. For about 95% of situations, the Aroma will do the job, and do it well. It has brown rice and white rice settings. With the white rice setting, you're talking 25 minutes, give or take, to completion. It has a timer that you can program so that it'll be done when you're home. It's pretty straightforward to clean. There's not a lot of faff.

If you're genuinely using various different types of rice, and need each type to be consistently good, spring for the Zojirushi or Cuckoo, or whatever brand you fancy. This goes double for if you're aiming for that GABA rice stuff. The setting for GABA rice couldn't be easier to use, and though it takes a loooooong time, it's a lot less fuss than soaking and then loading the rice cooker. Some of the fancier models have a multicook option, which is really handy. And some of the induction fuckers can knock up white rice in 16 minutes from cold water to finish. Not 16 minutes after it hits full pressure. Not 16 minutes on the counter once the water boils. 16 minutes from the time you hit start to the time you open the pot. However, the model is like $350+.

That said, I literally work in rice imports, and keep on hand at least 6 different types of rice at all times (white hom mali jasmine, brown jasmine, white basmati, white calrose, black jasmine, multigrain, and whatever else catches my fancy at the market). I don't care for the taste of rice that's been set on the keep warm. For me, rice has to be fresh. If I have leftover rice, I'll mix it with spices (lemon rice, coconut rice, tomato rice, tamarind rice, whatever), and put that away. Otherwise, I'll mix it in with the daal, and put it in the fridge to take as lunch for work. My rice cooker is a 3 cup model, so I can make just enough for me while I'm cooking dinner. But before this one, I had the Aroma, and it served me well. Now it's serving the boyfriend well.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Which Instant Pot should I buy my dad for Christmas?

Instant Pot Max 9-in-1, 6-Quart
Instant Pot Duo Evo Plus 9-in-1, 8-Quart
Instant Pot Duo Crisp 11-in-1, 8-Quart

The canning, sous vide, yogurt making, fermenting, and pasteurizing features are all things he’d love to have; he has a big rear end ceramic pot of homemade sauerkraut fermenting in our kitchen right now. The air frying might be something he’d like, but I don’t know if he’d need the extra 2 quarts on the 8-quart models.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 17, 2019

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

My tiny sister wants a new knife for christmas. She has been using a (probably) 5" version of this https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-C7...76538837&sr=8-5 for forever, but it's time for a grown up knife now. She prefers the santoku shape and smaller size as she has small hands. She's a perfectly good everyday sort of cook, but isn't going to need to slice tomatoes paper thin or debone a chicken or anything wild. Budget not really a huge issue-$100? would be nice but if an extra $50 made a huge difference I'd spring for it. I've been very happy with my Wusthof knives and they make a santoku style-are they any good or is there something else I should be looking at? She mentioned she'd used a friend's Shun and liked it, but I know nothing about them.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Are you sure? The page for the Instant Pot Max 9-In-1 6-Quart says it hits that sweet 15 PSI for home pressure canning.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Find some third party that can verify that. Several pressure cooker manufacturers self-reported 15psi and it turned out they were all 12psi in real world tests, including Kuhn Rikon.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Steve Yun posted:

Find some third party that can verify that. Several pressure cooker manufacturers self-reported 15psi and it turned out they were all 12psi in real world tests, including Kuhn Rikon.

drat.

Okay then, which 8-quart should I get? Is the Duo Crisp worth it over the Duo Evo Plus?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Steve Yun posted:

Source? Not doubting, just want to read it.

Vvvvv good read vvvvv

wormil fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 17, 2019

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

My understanding of the 12 vs 15 psi thing is that a 15 psi release valve is standard, but that doesn't mean your food is cooking at 15 psi all the time.

On a stovetop pressure cooker, the valve starts blowing at 15 psi and then normally you'd turn the heat down, but you can achieve a constant 15 psi by keeping the heat cranked and the valve constantly blowing.

In contrast, an electric pressure cooker may also have a 15 psi valve, but it automatically adjusts itself after the valve blows to reduce the heat. You can't force constant 15 psi by running it at "full steam" :rimshot:

Source: https://instantpot.com/which-electric-pressure-cooker-operates-at-15psi/

Edit: get the 8 quart, I debated the exact same question and don't regret getting the bigger one. Remember, while pressure cooking you can't use all of the volume, the max fill line is only about two-thirds full. A 6 qt would have been way too tiny for me. And that's as a single person who lives alone, I'm not making mass quantities of food.

plester1 fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

My tiny sister wants a new knife for christmas. She has been using a (probably) 5" version of this https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-C7...76538837&sr=8-5 for forever, but it's time for a grown up knife now. She prefers the santoku shape and smaller size as she has small hands. She's a perfectly good everyday sort of cook, but isn't going to need to slice tomatoes paper thin or debone a chicken or anything wild. Budget not really a huge issue-$100? would be nice but if an extra $50 made a huge difference I'd spring for it. I've been very happy with my Wusthof knives and they make a santoku style-are they any good or is there something else I should be looking at? She mentioned she'd used a friend's Shun and liked it, but I know nothing about them.

https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Swiss-Classic-Santoku-Granton/dp/B005LRYKKI/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=victorinox+santoku&qid=1576554674&sr=8-4